• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google announces availability of new Chromebook and the Chromebox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyphie

The Chromebox would be pretty interesting running something else because the specs are quite good for the price (B840, 4GB, SSD, Wifi). It's definitely better than some of the ASRock or Zotac E350/E450 barebones around that price.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Google is missing on part of the eco system, desk and lap.

Load up my Android desktop computer to do stuff with my android apps... etc... sync to my tablet and phone... etc!

I don't think you understand their idea. it will be synced. the USB cable isn't the medium. the internet is what every device syncs with. Not each other. For many good reasons.

Dineren

Banned
I lost my mind due to my Google mania and ordered one of these for delivery tomorrow. I use my Chrome 99% of the time I'm using my computer so I think this will actually be pretty useful to me. Does anyone know how (or if) it handles archived files? The OS video posted early mentioned browsing attached devices, but does it let you access the internal storage directly?

Looking forward to playing around with it.

Matt

I lost my mind due to my Google mania and ordered one of these for delivery tomorrow. I use my Chrome 99% of the time I'm using my computer so I think this will actually be pretty useful to me. Does anyone know how (or if) it handles archived files? The OS video posted early mentioned browsing attached devices, but does it let you access the internal storage directly?

Looking forward to playing around with it.

Yes it does.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just realized something the Chromebox has over Google TV: Hulu access! Lol.

Does anyone know how (or if) it handles archived files?

Like zip/rar/tar.gz? I'm sure it handles them fine, but if it doesn't Google Drive can list their contents.

Dineren

Banned
Been playing with it quite a bit today and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Refresh alone makes it well worth the money. It handles archived files pretty well, basically the same way OS X handles dmg files in finder. Everything seems nice and snappy except for Google+. I'm not quite sure what's going on, but interacting with anything in it is incredibly slow. Is this a hardware issue?

It seems great at multimedia playback and everything else, seems odd that the only issues it would have is with a Google product.

Dineren

Banned
So do you have to be online for the box to run?

I've got the Chromebook not the box, but I assume it's the same. You can use it offline, but naturally what you can do is pretty limited. If you have apps that have an offline mode they will work and it does have a music player that can play files saved to the internal storage. I'm not sure if it's capable of playing any videos offline. I had only one video that would fit on the sd card I have and it popped up a message saying to convert it to a format that is viewable on the web so maybe if it was in a different format it would play just fine, but I don't know for sure.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Been playing with it quite a bit today and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Refresh alone makes it well worth the money. It handles archived files pretty well, basically the same way OS X handles dmg files in finder. Everything seems nice and snappy except for Google+. I'm not quite sure what's going on, but interacting with anything in it is incredibly slow. Is this a hardware issue?

It seems great at multimedia playback and everything else, seems odd that the only issues it would have is with a Google product.

Google+ is sometimes pretty slow no matter what computer I use. They really should optimize it more.

So do you have to be online for the box to run?

For it to run? No.

For it to be able to run most of its apps? Yes.

However, there are a wide assortment of offline apps available, and offline Google Drive/Docs is supposedly launching at I/O later this month.

ahtAH.gif

Hieberrr

I've got the Chromebook not the box, but I assume it's the same. You can use it offline, but naturally what you can do is pretty limited. If you have apps that have an offline mode they will work and it does have a music player that can play files saved to the internal storage. I'm not sure if it's capable of playing any videos offline. I had only one video that would fit on the sd card I have and it popped up a message saying to convert it to a format that is viewable on the web so maybe if it was in a different format it would play just fine, but I don't know for sure.

For it to run? No.

For it to be able to run most of its apps? Yes.

However, there are a wide assortment of offline apps available, and offline Google Drive/Docs is supposedly launching at I/O later this month.

Yikes, if that's the case then I think I'll pass.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Yes, 16 GB.

Yes, if it's like the previous models it has a developer mode switch.
Thanks, but no thanks. I have a cheap-o netbook with 1 Mhz Processing and 1 GB RAM but if there's one thing, it has a 200 GB hdd which I need.

If they had the storage space, then I would say it's a deal.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thanks, but no thanks. I have a cheap-o netbook with 1 Mhz Processing and 1 GB RAM but if there's one thing, it has a 200 GB hdd which I need.

If they had the storage space, then I would say it's a deal.

Built-in Google Drive access. Use the cloud, Luke.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Their FAQ mentions loading up Google TV from the market.....so I sent them a question to clarify.

Its actually stock ics and they added an alternative launcher.

Stock forever, skins/alternative launchers NEVAR.

kehs

Banned
You guys are aware this already exists right? (well, except for the custom remote)

http://www.merimobiles.com/MK802_Allwinner_A10_Android_4_0_TV_Box_2160P_HDMI_p/meri4833.htm

It doesn't have the play store. The kickstarter one does.

Stock forever, skins/alternative launchers NEVAR.

It has stock, plus a different one that's friendly with the simple controller. And they haven't don't anything to prevent root or loading and entire different os. That's a company I can support, even if only for principle.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It doesn't have the play store. The kickstarter one does.

It has stock, plus a different one that's friendly with the simple controller. And they haven't don't anything to prevent root or loading and entire different os. That's a company I can support, even if only for principle.

Yeah, seems like a cool project, maybe I'll chip in...

Way to pricey for me, you'd think that they'd be able to cut down costs by supplying only enough hardware to cover 99% of users and avoiding expensive OSs.

A big shame imho as this would be perfect for my parents if it was like 50% cheaper.

Hieberrr

You guys are aware this already exists right? (well, except for the custom remote)

http://www.merimobiles.com/MK802_Allwinner_A10_Android_4_0_TV_Box_2160P_HDMI_p/meri4833.htm

Almost had me sold on it until I learnt that it doesn't support the market/play.

Damn, I can't wait until these dongle PCs become super cheap $50-$60 dollars :O~ *drool*

$110 is a little high for me, especially since I have to buy the keyboard remote at $50 (after shipping and taxes).

I think I'll wait. But wow, I love these things <3

PGamer

fucking juniors
Can someone explain the point of Chrome OS currently? I don't see pretty much any audience where the Chromebook is the best purchase option aside from maybe a few very niche groups. I think it is a forward thinking OS for the most part but it seems like it simply can't be competitive until the vast majority of app development switches to browser based apps which who knows when that will actually happen. And even when (or if) it does, Windows/OSX/Linux will still be able to run those apps while having support for legacy apps that Chrome OS won't. The only real potential advantage I can see is lower prices through requiring a smaller drive but that doesn't even see to be the case in reality as there exist cheaper notebooks than the Chromebook. I just don't really get it.

As for the Chromebox it looks like it could be a cool HTPC assuming you can install another OS on it.

quaere

Almost had me sold on it until I learnt that it doesn't support the market/play.

Damn, I can't wait until these dongle PCs become super cheap $50-$60 dollars :O~ *drool*

$110 is a little high for me, especially since I have to buy the keyboard remote at $50 (after shipping and taxes).

I think I'll wait. But wow, I love these things <3
It was just released, wait a week or two, the Play Store will be hacked onto it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can someone explain the point of Chrome OS currently?

Simplicity. Ease of use. One of the best ways to access the web.

I don't see pretty much any audience where the Chromebook is the best purchase option aside from maybe a few very niche groups. I think it is a forward thinking OS for the most part but it seems like it simply can't be competitive until the vast majority of app development switches to browser based apps which who knows when that will actually happen.

It's already happening. When was the last time you heard of "this killer Windows app you absolutely must download?" Mobile took the spotlight from web apps for a bit, but things are swinging back towards the web right now as HTML5 matures.

And even when (or if) it does, Windows/OSX/Linux will still be able to run those apps while having support for legacy apps that Chrome OS won't.

Of course, that's the promise of the web. Web apps run on any OS with a competent browser. The appeal of Chrome OS, specifically, is:

- Not being bogged down by legacy cruft and applications, making it boot and run faster.
- Being made this century, meaning it's built with security in mind and doesn't require antivirus protection or any of that other crap.
- Less maintenance required in general; you're always using the latest version as updates install automatically, and you're never required to pay for them.

It's the only computer that gets better over time. If you buy a Windows laptop it's going to get pretty unusable three years from now. A Chromebook? It'll actually be much better than it is today.

kehs

Banned
Can someone explain the point of Chrome OS currently? I don't see pretty much any audience where the Chromebook is the best purchase option aside from maybe a few very niche groups. I think it is a forward thinking OS for the most part but it seems like it simply can't be competitive until the vast majority of app development switches to browser based apps which who knows when that will actually happen. And even when (or if) it does, Windows/OSX/Linux will still be able to run those apps while having support for legacy apps that Chrome OS won't. The only real potential advantage I can see is lower prices through requiring a smaller drive but that doesn't even see to be the case in reality as there exist cheaper notebooks than the Chromebook. I just don't really get it.

As for the Chromebox it looks like it could be a cool HTPC assuming you can install another OS on it.

A majority of people's time is spent using web apps inside a web browser. Their interaction with the local OS amounts to save and uploading files.

Local applications are only local because browsers are lacking in access to hardware. That hump is almost being passed. OSes like chromeos are the future, they way ahead of their time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
A majority of people's time is spent using web apps inside a web browser. Their interaction with the local OS amounts to save and uploading files.

Local applications are only local because browsers are lacking in access to hardware. That hump is almost being passed. OSes like chromeos are the future, they way ahead of their time.

I really hope Google doesn't kill it... in 10 years Chrome OS could be THE OS. But I'm not sure they'll think that far ahead.

Then again... Glasses and self-driving cars...

Right, but why buy a chromeOS device when you can do the same stuff at a cheaper machine?
I am as much of a tech-geek as the next man, but I still think that price is equally as important as how cool a piece of tech is.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Right, but why buy a chromeOS device when you can do the same stuff at a cheaper machine?
I am as much of a tech-geek as the next man, but I still think that price is equally as important as how cool a piece of tech is.

Andrex said:
- Not being bogged down by legacy cruft and applications, making it boot and run faster.
- Being made this century, meaning it's built with security in mind and doesn't require antivirus protection or any of that other crap.
- Less maintenance required in general; you're always using the latest version as updates install automatically, and you're never required to pay for them.

It's the only computer that gets better over time. If you buy a Windows laptop it's going to get pretty unusable three years from now. A Chromebook? It'll actually be much better than it is today.

Price should be cheaper though.

kehs

Banned
I really hope Google doesn't kill it... in 10 years Chrome OS could be THE OS. But I'm not sure they'll think that far ahead.

Then again... Glasses and self-driving cars...

I don't think they'll kill it entirely instead just subset it into android.

That's their biggest hurtle, the hardware is on the expensive side for retail, but they are getting the early seats in enterprise and educations with their pricing.

Dineren

Banned
I think even with the high price I would buy this for a relative over other options simply to save myself the support time required with a windows laptop. I bought my brother a laptop not too long ago and it took less than a week for him to load it up with malware. It's more his fault than the OS's fault, but it is still one less headache to deal with.

It's already happening. When was the last time you heard of "this killer Windows app you absolutely must download?" Mobile took the spotlight from web apps for a bit, but things are swinging back towards the web right now as HTML5 matures.

Of course, that's the promise of the web. Web apps run on any OS with a competent browser. The appeal of Chrome OS, specifically, is:

iPads get better over time. Macs get better over time. GNU/Linux gets better over time. Windows 8 its store will hopefully cut down on the typical junk that screws up Windows installs.

Also, keep in mind that while Chrome OS has a good security model, the Chrome web store is only loosely policed. I wouldn't be surprised if malware shows up like it has in Android.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't think they'll kill it entirely instead just subset it into android.

For the 50 bazillionth time, that's impossible. They'd have to kill it. Everything that makes Chrome OS, Chrome OS is that it's only Chrome. You can't get any of those three bullet points in a traditional operating system like Android.

We've got Chrome on Android, that's as far as it can possibly go.

iPads get better over time. Macs get better over time. GNU/Linux gets better over time. Windows 8 its store will hopefully cut down on the typical junk that screws up Windows installs.

Also, keep in mind that while Chrome OS has a good security model, the Chrome web store is only loosely policed. I wouldn't be surprised if malware shows up like it has in Android.

All of those will still slow down over time, after many apps are installed and uninstalled and reinstalled. Further OS updates down the line will kick support for old hardware to the curb, but not Chrome OS. Anything that runs Chrome OS will always be able to run Chrome OS.

giga

Yep. iPads are awesome.

kehs

Banned

Unlike iOS (lol), mac, or windows google has no stake in artificially limiting feature updates for an os they don't charge for.

Double lol at the malware notion.

For the 50 bazillionth time, that's impossible. They'd have to kill it. Everything that makes Chrome OS, Chrome OS is that it's only Chrome. You can't get any of those three bullet points in a traditional operating system like Android.

=P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom