• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONCACAF Gold Cup | 7-26 July 2015 | The Ecstasy of Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brashnir

Klinsmann better put in a serious line-up for the knockout rounds. What I mean is Beckerman holding down the fort and Bradley floating around up-field.

Bradley has always had a great work-rate and is a decent tackler which makes coaches think he can play D-mid, but his positional play in defensive midfield has been consistently terrible every time he's been put there in his career.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I see what's going on now. Klinsmann is trying to pull a Jill Ellis: Win our group stage matches in nervy fashion, then go nuts in the KOs. That's totally what's going on right now, right?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bradley has always had a great work-rate and is a decent tackler which makes coaches think he can play D-mid, but his positional play in defensive midfield has been consistently terrible every time he's been put there in his career.

The thing is Klinsmann learned that a while ago, why he's putting him there now I have no goddamned idea. Bradley should have been in that floating role Depsey was in this game, with Beckerman as the d-mid.

Brashnir

The thing is Klinsmann learned that a while ago, why he's putting him there now I have no goddamned idea. Bradley should have been in that floating role Depsey was in this game, with Beckerman as the d-mid.

yeah.

Speaking of Beckerman, we really need to start grooming someone to replace him sooner than later. He's not getting any younger.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
yeah.

Speaking of Beckerman, we really need to start grooming someone to replace him sooner than later. He's not getting any younger.

I think we've already started looking. Danny Williams featured earlier in the year and looked like he might be able to replace Beckerman if he were given some more experience in the roll. Then there's everyone going into the Olympic qualifying team, there's sure to be some candidates in there.

Mory Dunz

yeah.

Zeleam? Hynndman?

Though those two might be more attacking. Zeleam seems slow as anything so he should maybe be deep lying.

Or maybe just Williams.

Brashnir

Zeleam? Hynndman?

Though those two might be more attacking. Zeleam seems slow as anything so he should maybe be deep lying.

Or maybe just Williams.

I see those two as being more likely replacements for Bradley down the line. Danny Williams has some potential there, but I'm not sold yet. Same with someone like Perry Kitchen. I don't see Beckerman as being viable for heavy minute duty in 2018 (He'll be 36), so we need to get someone in there and gelling with the rest of the team soon.

Kazerei

Banned
Canada really needed a win against El Salvador if they hoped to advance. Too late now.

Edit: Technically Canada can still advance, as long as El Salvador and another 3rd place team do worse than Canada ._.

Osorio

While this result is good I'm not sure another draw would suffice to make it to the quarterfinals.

We have to win Jamaica and I don't see that happening.

Azuran

Banned
Damn it CR, why didn't you win? Now I'm going to suffer for one more game thinking we have some hope of winning (lol).

While this result is good I'm not sure another draw would suffice to make it to the quarterfinals.

We have to win Jamaica and I don't see that happening.

A draw gives El Salvador a decent shot to advance as a third place team. If Guatemala loses to Mexico and beats Cuba they may still have a negative goal differential.

EDIT - Also Panama and Haiti could both finish with less than 3 points.

Osorio

A draw gives El Salvador a decent shot to advance as a third place team. If Guatemala loses to Mexico and beats Cuba they may still have a negative goal differential.

EDIT - Also Panama and Haiti could both finish with less than 3 points.

You're right.

As long as they keep the defensive organization they've shown El Salvador can get the draw.

If we had a decent forward we could win games. Herrera's too short and too reliant on his left foot to be a good target forward.

Mory Dunz

I missed the games today but it sounds like only Mexico dominated so far. Usa has two wins but they were meh

To be fair, Mexico hasn't played anyone.

I mean, not only was it Cuba but it was an undermanned Cuba. Dunno how many of the 6 defecters were starters though.

I will agree that USA's been bad

nilbog21

Banned

As long as Bradley is on the team it's safe to assume the US doesn't have a WC winning team

hom3land

To be fair, Mexico hasn't played anyone.

I mean, not only was it Cuba but it was an undermanned Cuba. Dunno how many of the 6 defecters were starters though.

I will agree that USA's been bad

I thought just 1 defected and 6 players + coach were just stuck in Antigua?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This isn't anything new. One Gold Cup had five defectors.

Hopefully it'll get better once relations between the US and Cuba open up and stabilize relations. I feel like Cuba's a team that could be a real force in CONCACAF if it wasn't for the embargo and all the political stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom