• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concensus on Sly 2?

Just picked it up today and it's been a lot of fun so far. The presentation is top notch, I expect nothing less from Suker Punch. The gameplay is A LOT better than Sly 1 IMO, I like how each member has to work together to pull off elaborate heists...really gives purpose to each mission. BTW, haven't played enough to find out yet, but does Sly 2 have boss fights? I really liked them in the first one.

Great game, especially at the price I picked it up at ($35CDN or $25ish USD).

Belfast

Pretty good. I think I like the first one slightly better. I guess because most of the moves you pick up in this one are kind of useless and while you've got one big level to fool around in, I liked have the smaller levels to an extent. I still like it though.

bridegur

I still need to buy it. I rented it a few weeks ago and couldn't get enough. The demo was disappointing but I gave the full game another chance and now I enjoy it more than the first (one of my favorite games).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
the biggest problem i've had with it, too easy

nfreakct

Good, but highly inconsistent. Some worlds pull of the three-partner heist idea very well while others become very tedious run and fetch missions for the most part. Still suffers a bit from mini-game madness and some missions, especially anything involving Bentley, suffer from the fact Bentley is both slow, weak, and awkward to control. Unlike first Sly, little incentive to go back and replay missions compounded by the fact that missions are not readily replayable (you need to play through the entire world again to replay missions).

For the good stuff: Murray and especially Sly are great characters to play. Sly in particular controls a bit more tightly than the previous game and you can pull off very stylish move combos when the world permits. Slowdown from the first game is pretty nonexistant and the game often strikes the right balance between stealth and action. Boss battles are for the most part pretty inventive again, with the high watermark going to the second-to-last boss battle which is reminiscant of a more action-packed Dungeon Keeper.

Asthetically, the same high quality polish as the first game, with the animated clip sequences and the very nice voicework back in spades. Art style has changed, but personally I enjoyed the new look better after getting used to it.

Thumbs-up.gif

ckohler

I'm only 10% into it and I really like it. Here are my thoughts:

GOOD
--------
* Controlling the other characters is nifty. I had reservations.
* Same top-notch animation from first game (both in game and the cinemas).
* Picking pockets is damn fun and clever.
* Collecting coins has a bigger payoff now that you can buy upgrades.
* Lots and lots of varied missions. Doesn't get stale.

BAD
--------
* In game character models seem somewhat weaker than in the first game.
* Why does Carmelita sound American?! She's supposed to have a Spanish accent.
* Camera doesn't follow behind as intelligently as in the first game.
* No option to reverse vertical camera movement? (binoculars do though)

BTW, I agree that the game is somewhat easy. I think that's part of it's charm. Not all games must be difficult to be good. This game is fun and interesting and I think not being frustrating just enhances the overall experience. I'm sure it will get a little tougher as I get closer to the end but it wouldn't bother me if it didn't.

Tellaerin

Fifty said:
How many games can be one of the year's finest?

In a year like this, where we're being hit with a deluge of games? A lot.

This looks like great fun, but considering the sheer number of quality titles coming out between now and Christmas, I probably won't get around to touching it until sometime next year. I think this is the first time I can remember where I'm looking forward to the post-holiday release drought, just to have a chance to catch my breath.

Takuan

adelgary said:
I don't like the art.
I didn't like Sly 1's art either, Sly himself in particular bugs me, but the voicework, gameplay and level design were enough to keep me playing. It was easy to see how well-crafted the game was. I need to try Sly 2 some time, probably after I'm done with GTA:SA, Star Ocean 3, and Shadow Hearts.

Ranger X

Sly2 is all good and is better than the first *cough cough - more actual gameplay than mini-games this time around.

Top Bottom