• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars |OT| Extracurricular Activities

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
New DLC is out:

- The Enduring One ($2.49, quest with higher rate of getting item for Ninja class)
- Tricks 'N Technique ($2.49, quest with higher rate of getting item for Trickster class)
- Monokuma Strikes (Free, IT'S THE MONOKUMA QUEST!)

FluxWaveZ

Still making my way through the game. I actually like a lot of the voice acting in this game; Ellie in particular is fantastic. Seems that her VA is going to be another one of those cases where the person's identity won't be revealed though, which is a shame.

But man, I dislike Wake. Such an idiot. His VA sucks, some of his actions are dumb and a lot of his choices are bad at times too.

pariah164

Soooooo who's got two thumbs and forgot she entered a monthly draw at the local mom and pop game store? THIS GUY.

FuvdYlE.jpg

Yeah so. Guess I'm playing this now.

Tohsaka

I am, surprisingly. The demo didn't sell me, but now I'm really liking it. Combat's a bit easy, but it's fun overall. And I'm only in Chapter 2, so I'm anticipating a difficulty spike any time now.

It's not that tough overall until towards the end of the game, IMO. Some of the optional dungeons are more difficult than the main ones.

xMrSunshine

Neo Member
Does the religious crap ever stop in this game? Or the "We are high school students and must fight monsters because it is our duty so let us try our best yay =^.^="? I played some of the demo (which seems abnormally long which is cool) and the god's gift stuff is already wearing thin on me. I guess what I'm asking is does shit ever get real?

I'm liking the art in this game and the couple of fights I played seem really smooth and look very good. Too bad the VA is in English. That just makes me so much more aware of how cringeworhty some of the writing is but it seems like the quality of the VA is not half-bad at least. I'm thinking this game might be a bit too pandering for my taste in the end though but I'm still morbidly curious about it. After all I did go into the Persona games with somewhat similar feelings and found some of my favourite games ever.

I'm liking the art in this game and the couple of fights I played seem really smooth and look very good. Too bad the VA is in English. That just makes me so much more aware of how cringeworhty some of the writing is but it seems like the quality of the VA is not half-bad at least. I'm thinking this game might be a bit too pandering for my taste in the end though but I'm still morbidly curious about it. After all I did go into the Persona games with somewhat similar feelings and found some of my favourite games ever.

That's basically where I'm at/on the fence with the game. I just recently (re)purchased a vita and I tried the demo. The demo is different from the 3DS one which I wasn't actually expecting... The 3DS demo had me sold, the Vita demo had me cringing... even if it meets somewhere in the middle of the two I don't think it's enough to warrant a purchase.

At least I have Totori and Meruru to play before I decide.

I bought a copy of the first one for PSP and it came with the soundtrack. Is it suppose to have an outerbox like Persona 2/Tactics Ogre or was it seperate?

Mononoke

Banned
I bought this recently to scratch my Persona itch. While it didn't quite get to the level of Persona, I found enough to like that I enjoyed my time with it. I guess I've just become a sucker recently for relationship/romance options in games. I do think the system in this game was shallow/superficial at times. But I also found myself really liking certain characters such as Fuuko and Serina (I liked
Ellie at first but then her story pissed me off).

Besides the fan service mate scenes and the shallow romance system, I did enjoy the game. However, by the 5th dungeon I got burnt out as the dungeon levels got higher and higher. Granted, I was doing every single sub dungeon and was clearing every enemy on every floor. But it got to a point where I just farmed Sagittas and then rushed past the last 3 dungeons (used a simple map and just avoided all enemies). The last boss was super easy. Abusing potions guarantees you can beat him even at level 45.

I ended up getting 85% for all the girls (maxed out their bars) and got all endings. There were certain events I didn't unlock. All in all I clocked in at around 38 hours. I'm surprised you guys didn't like the voice acting. I thought the girl that did Fuuko, Ellie and Serina were great (mostly Fuuko). I mean I can agree some of the dialogue localization is bad, but I expected much worse. The only voice actor I thought was bad was for the character Feene.

Edit: I did enjoy the game though. I liked the art and the music. And I dug most of the characters. The combat system was actually fun and I liked chaining enemies and using different powers. I just felt the dungeons became tedious towards the end, and some of the romance development (or rather the way you do events) was kind of shallow. But hey, I've been really wanting more games like this. And outside of Persona I don't think there are any others on Vita (localized). So I tip my hat to the developers of this title, I would like more Japanese titles like this to be localized.

Pikma

Banned
This is prob. A long shot, but do you guys know if there's still are 1st print run copies for 3DS out in the wild? I've been away from town for like a month, a day before the game came out, and I don't wanna miss on the extra goodies :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's possible. I got Soul Hackers a year or so later for Black Friday & it still had the OST in it. If it's Atlus & just an OST bonus, there should be a good chance you can still find it.

Also reminder that this is the final week of DLC, with Monokuma returning for another quest.

This is prob. A long shot, but do you guys know if there's still are 1st print run copies for 3DS out in the wild? I've been away from town for like a month, a day before the game came out, and I don't wanna miss on the extra goodies :(

I cancelled my preorder then caved a week after release and bought it anyway.
I bought direct from Amazon and didn't get the first print run, just the standard game box.
It might be different for you, but just a word of warning.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Final DLC is up:

- Monokuma's Revenge (free, fight Monokuma again)
- Serious Sagitta ($2.49, quest that makes getting XP easier)
- Serious Bootes ($2.49, quest that makes getting money easier)

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
How soon after getting a new heroine can I try to trigger their Urban Encounters? I've got #5 available, but am wondering if I need to hang out with her a few times in order to get her UE to show up.

Javier

Been playing this for the past few weeks and been enjoying it plenty. I find the fanservice to be more comical than anything, mainly because of the dialogue that goes with it.

Currently at Chapter 5 and trying to unlock more events with the girls, but I'm focusing more on Torri. I'm not sure why, but she's easily my favorite girl. Maybe it's the monochrome hair.

On Classmating, I actually think it's kinda cute (really, it's only disturbing when you overthink it too much), and it probably helps the Star Children are adorable.

Might I add, I'm surprised the Miiverse community for this allows for screenshot taking. It can even be browsed while logged out, and nothing is censored.

Also, Serina (at Lv. 12) gave me a Star Child that can go to Lv. 99. I understand these kids are called Genius Children, but what are the odds of that happening?

Also, can a pair of twins be a boy and a girl?

pariah164

Been playing this for the past few weeks and been enjoying it plenty. I find the fanservice to be more comical than anything, mainly because of the dialogue that goes with it.

Currently at Chapter 5 and trying to unlock more events with the girls, but I'm focusing more on Torri. I'm not sure why, but she's easily my favorite girl. Maybe it's the monochrome hair.

On Classmating, I actually think it's kinda cute (really, it's only disturbing when you overthink it too much), and it probably helps the Star Children are adorable.

Might I add, I'm surprised the Miiverse community for this allows for screenshot taking. It can even be browsed while logged out, and nothing is censored.

Also, Serina (at Lv. 12) gave me a Star Child that can go to Lv. 99. I understand these kids are called Genius Children, but what are the odds of that happening?

Also, can a pair of twins be a boy and a girl?
Glad you're enjoying the game. I just hit Chapter 5 myself last night.

The odds of getting a genius child are very rare. I managed to get one with Chloe early on in the game. The child is a Gambler, and still in my party. My friend had over 100 kids, and only 4 were Genius Children.

Yes, a pair of twins can be a boy and a girl. I got that via Trimating once.

Javier

The odds of getting a genius child are very rare. I managed to get one with Chloe early on in the game. The child is a Gambler, and still in my party.
Mine's a Gambler too!

Thanks for the answers. I'll give more detailed impressions later on.

Completed a first playthrough yesterday, went with Torri as the first ending. Cute. Looking forward to the others.

Will be doing the restart CH7 deal and beat the final boss each time rather than just load the end save file to cheese the other endings. Also, that way the bonus functional (not cosmetic) armors given for each ending collect on the save file.

Then later on when I revisit it I'll seek out some of those rare drops for stuff like Gun Saint that I never got around to.

And as a final note, most of the voice acting really is surprisingly good. Given all the interactions it has a large influence on the appeal of the game, especially with Fuuko and Serina.

Completed a first playthrough yesterday, went with Torri as the first ending. Cute. Looking forward to the others.

Will be doing the restart CH7 deal and beat the final boss each time rather than just load the end save file to cheese the other endings. Also, that way the bonus functional (not cosmetic) armors given for each ending collect on the save file.

Then later on when I revisit it I'll seek out some of those rare drops for stuff like Gun Saint that I never got around to.

And as a final note, most of the voice acting really is surprisingly good. Given all the interactions it has a large influence on the appeal of the game, especially with Fuuko and Serina.

Do you keep certain things when completing the game, like your level, items or quests?

pariah164

This may just be me being a derp, but how does this work?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I assume he makes it up to the 2nd-to-final floor, saves the game, then just beats it & chooses which ending to get each time. Then just reloads the save & repeat until all the endings are achieved (though I heard you can save right before choosing which ending you want to see). The database is separate from the actual save files, so it'll save anything that you do even if you don't save in-game. Or perhaps make multiple different save files of right before the ending, using each one to get each ending.

Do you keep certain things when completing the game, like your level, items or quests?
I think you keep levels (you + all party members & the city), equipment, money, & any star children that you have. I know affection levels are reset.

I haven't tried the Prologue restart yet, and about to shelve the game for later. But IIRC it says it resets affection levels, shop items, maybe dungeon progress but apparently keeps levels and items obtained. But...

This may just be me being a derp, but how does this work?

...restarting from CH7 after the ending keeps everything intact, and you get a new armor based on the girl, Torri gave a "Freedom Suit" IIRC with strong stats but biased MDF+/MAT-. I did check another ending quick and noticed they gave a different suit. I'm not sure that they're all that great, but apparently to get them all on the file the endings must be completed each time flowing from CH7 restart at least.

With the CH7 restart you can go right to the CH7 boss and then CH8 boss after the repeated story sequences.

pariah164

I haven't tried the Prologue restart yet, and about to shelve the game for later. But IIRC it says it resets affection levels, shop items, maybe dungeon progress but apparently keeps levels and items obtained. But...

...restarting from CH7 after the ending keeps everything intact, and you get a new armor based on the girl, Torri gave a "Freedom Suit" IIRC with strong stats but biased MDF+/MAT-. I did check another ending quick and noticed they gave a different suit. I'm not sure that they're all that great, but apparently to get them all on the file the endings must be completed each time flowing from CH7 restart at least.

With the CH7 restart you can go right to the CH7 boss and then CH8 boss after the repeated story sequences.
But all the endings will have to be on separate save files to keep the armor, right?

But all the endings will have to be on separate save files to keep the armor, right?

No, it seems to need one continuous file, get new ending, get armor after restart, finish CH7&8 again, next ending, add new armor to collection, etc. I saved separately after both Serina and Torri endings from the same file to test separate post-game saves and each one when restarting only had the one armor from the chosen ending.

That's all I can offer on the matter for now, though.

I just picked up a 2DS today, along with a copy of this game and Bravely Default.

I honestly don't know much of anything about this game, but it looked cool and up my alley from the art and description on the box, lol. What can I expect?

Dugna

I just picked up a 2DS today, along with a copy of this game and Bravely Default.

I honestly don't know much of anything about this game, but it looked cool and up my alley from the art and description on the box, lol. What can I expect?

meh dungeons, good cutscenes and everything else though. Don't expect a very great story or gameplay they're pretty standard. If you read the back though you shouldn't mind most of it.

meh dungeons, good cutscenes and everything else though. Don't expect a very great story or gameplay they're pretty standard. If you read the back though you shouldn't mind most of it.

hm, story isn't even good? darn. I guess that can be a subjective thing though, because I loved Tales of Graces F, yet it seems like everyone on gaf hates it.

wrowa

This game is honestly boring me to tears. I've played about 15 hours so far and the developers seem to have missed one very super extremely important part about dungeon crawlers: Crawling through floors upon floors of randomly generated dungeons is only fun when there's a certain challenge and some risks at stake. This game - at least so far - is so hilariously easy, it's not even funny. It's a shame too, since the battle system has potential to be interesting - but there's absolutely no reason to actually use it. It's much more efficient to put the battles on auto and doing something else in the mean time. It's not like anything needs your attention anyway.

The characters are also dull and the most boring execution of boring stereotypes imagineable. I guess there's a story too, somewhere, but so far it's not really going anywhere. It just takes way too long without ever doing something interesting. Ugh.

nynt9

So, kind of a necrobump but, does the game remain funny and worth playing over the course of its entire story or does it get boring and grindy? The demo was alright but I don't know if it can keep that up for the length of a full JRPG.

pariah164

So, kind of a necrobump but, does the game remain funny and worth playing over the course of its entire story or does it get boring and grindy? The demo was alright but I don't know if it can keep that up for the length of a full JRPG.
The dungeons get repetitive, but the characters and story are great enough for me to keep going.

OuterLimits

Just started playing this recently. I am a bit confused with all the tutorial explanations they throw at you every battle in first dungeon.

Also, is it a big advantage in dungeons to have the star children with same mother grouped together?

Seems like a decent game though. A bit silly perhaps, but I enjoy grindy type dungeon crawlers.

MrBS

I love the fact the game takes mercy and lets you replay the last chapter in new game+ to get all the endings. It was only taking me 15 minutes for each one. With all endings done I'm done with this game. Fun was had. Now for a sequel ;)

Top Bottom