• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congresswoman Calls Out Canadian Game Studio for Racist ‘Dirty Chinese Restaurant'

Saya

Link

An independent game studio has recently come under fire for its inaugural game, Dirty Chinese Restaurant. The title, currently in development by Big-O-Tree Games (wordplay on “bigotry”), features a slew of racist themes, including a “sweatshop mode”, employees with rice-picker hats who occasionally get deported, and a Chinese chef chasing cats and dogs with a meat cleaver and fishing for ingredients out of dumpsters. Its release date is yet to be determined and will be available for download on Google Play and the App Store.

The mobile game is fairly straightforward; players take on the role of Wong Fu, who inherited a Chinese restaurant from his brother, Wang Fu. Players can choose to run a “prestigious Oriental establishment” by giving customers high quality food and service or “a real filthy dive” by evading taxes and gambling away your profits in Mahjong.

Big-O-Tree Games, headquartered in Ontario, Canada, is forthcoming about the blatant racism in their game, stating that the title is “a shining example of our unorthodox modus operandi.” They have positioned themselves as makers of “games that are tongue-in-cheek, shockingly humorous, and full of satire inspired by the mad world we live in,” because “being politically correct is so…boring.”

A5oEJYu.png

Loudninja

They think admitting that their blatant racism its part of design make this all ok. This is not tongue and cheek give me a break.

mieumieu

I am Chinese who has US relatives and I don't find the description funny one bit.

Only (accidental) positive side I can think of is that I am sure this will piss off some Chinese American anti PC Trumpsters and possibly change their mind a little... only if... sigh

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Wow. I can't imagine Apple or Google would want this on their store. Hopefully this gets their attention and they tell the dev to fuck off.

Stuff like this ain’t even funny just pure mockery.

I hate that gaming allows these types of things to exist. I hope the gaming community shun this game into oblivion.

Jintor

Speaking as a dirty Chinaman I hope they recognise that the best Chinese restaurants must have:

A) fish tanks
B) those round tables with removable cloth and the round swingy things
C) rude waiters

None of this straw hat and dumpster diving shit though.

Speaking as a dirty Chinaman I hope they recognise that the best Chinese restaurants must have:

A) fish tanks
B) those round tables with removable cloth and the round swingy things
C) rude waiters

None of this straw hat and dumpster diving shit though.

I don't see pink napkins formed in a triangle, and this offends my asian core the most.

Branduil

Man I thought this was gonna be about a dirty Chinese restaurant inside a larger video game, not a game literally titled Dirty Chinese Restaurant. I should have known better.

How popular are their other games? Isnt the worst case scenario that this publicity shoots the game's popularity trough the roof..?

Buzzman

Banned
Big-O-Tree Games, headquartered in Ontario, Canada, is forthcoming about the blatant racism in their game, stating that the title is “a shining example of our unorthodox modus operandi.” They have positioned themselves as makers of “games that are tongue-in-cheek, shockingly humorous, and full of satire inspired by the mad world we live in,” because “being politically correct is so…boring.”

Lol don't flatter yourselves, you're just another dumb asshole from 4chan.

It's a shame the game is going too far and is way too racist.

Cos the graphics look good and it could be fun. If they changed the entire story and characters, gameplay and game name, that is. lol

FranF

Banned
Ontario... These jackasses are definitely envious of how much more successful Chinese immigrants are than they will ever be.

Fuck these clowns and the people that think this ok or funny.

Edit: highly unlikely this game is released on any platform outside of directly downloading and sideloading the apk. Games with blatant racism breaches both Apple and Google's policies.

Roni

Gold Member
you can do 'political incorrect' games like south park that's actually funny or you can do it this way that seems blatantly low taste (at least based on what's been described).

Think, for a second, how South Park would be described to someone who has never seen it, by someone who has only read a description.

Zelias

Banned
This shit is so tryhard it's almost as pathetic as it is offensive. Hopefully app stores refuse to carry it.

Think, for a second, how South Park would be described to someone who has never seen it, by someone who has only read a description.
The defining features of South Park aren't racist stereotypes which is what the foundation and entire premise behind this game's existence are though.

The studio behind it is literally called bigotry.

Someone forgot to tell them to include the actual satire...

Also there’s no such thing as “politically correct”. It’s fake concept used by people who wish to excuse their own socially irresponsible behaviour.

Shandy

Okay, so, like... what's the joke?

Zodzilla

You're not alone.

Screen+Shot+2013-07-12+at+4.45.02+PM.png

Speaking an Asian-American person, I'm unsurprised that at least two members of this forum find these types of racial stereotypes amusing but disappointed anyway.

What you find "funny" just perpetuates the caricatures and stereotypes Asians find themselves having to defy on a regular basis.

I can't tell you how many people have publicly slanted their eyes at me during my childhood, or used the phrases "herro" or "____ love you long time" post Team America or Full Metal Jacket. Not funny at all.

I was born in New Jersey and can't speak a lick of Chinese either. Being Asian is my heritage and race (which I'm proud of) but not my definition.

Not angry or offended, but disappointed that what "amuses" people when it comes to Asian stereotyping is still considered socially acceptable in the modern day.

This can happen everywhere, nothing to do with gaming.
Gaming has a maybe problem with stereotypes. Hell gaming has a massive problem with being inclusive. Just look at what was at the heart of gamers gate. Gaming has a problem that so many even on this board want to overlook and instead yell about being "politically incorrect".

DonF

Players can choose to run a ”prestigious Oriental establishment" by giving customers high quality food and service or ”a real filthy dive" by evading taxes and gambling away your profits in Mahjong.
I mean, its not like the game's objective is to demean chinese, its has the option to though...

Top Bottom