• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congresswoman Calls Out Canadian Game Studio for Racist ‘Dirty Chinese Restaurant'

BiggNife

That excuse is some tongue-in-cheek bullshit

A company called "Big-O-Tree Games" knows "we listen to Jay Z" isn't an excuse for racist shit, they're just saying something completely bullshitty because they know they can't just be completely silent when a senator calls them out.

BBboy20

Not sure if anyone posted this, but it's from Big-O-Tree's website

5JGcQw5.png

Obviously the we're just a "teeny tiny game" comment comes out, along with some other weird stuff. Also what are they satirizing, people who make games like this?

We also listen to Jay-Z
THose motherfuckers ain't fooling anybody

MikeyB

How the shit are these dudes surviving in Markham with this sort of bullshit? They must be like my racist cousin in Richmond BC, walking around the T&T complaining that they cannot find bologna.

1upsuper

What in the hell does jay z have to do with this ? Smh is that meant to mean they're not racist?

I think it's some bullshit "I have a black friend so I can say racist things" rhetoric.

They try to defend their game by saying it's satire, but here's the bottom line: bad satire is just saying offensive shit. You need to actually develop subtext in order for your satire to not just be exactly what you're supposedly parodying word for word. Regardless of whatever your intentions are, bad satire has the same effect as racist shit -- it's just racist and it hurts people.

Has anyone made a game like this without the dumb racist overtones? Because the idea of a game where you manage a restaurant in a Roller Coaster Tycoon sort of way sounds fun.
I haven't played very many resteraunt simulators but if you are interested games about the cooking process within the resteraunts, Cook, Serve, Delicious! is definitely one I recommend. Cooking burgers in game is so addicting, even though I've actually flipped burgers IRL and it ain't fun at all.

The 'developers' are hiding behind the Satire defense but their studio name and anti-PC message makes it clear what they actually feel.

seems like one of the two guys that came up with the idea is Chinese... or at least half Chinese. its programmer. Richard Lee.

half Chinese from Markham o.0 if Markham is anything like Richmond here in BC that only adds fuel to the fire because there's a lot of sort of.... not racism, but sort of xenophobia or at least nationalism about Chinese stereotypes related to money, real estate, money laundering and tax evasion. so a game that features a stereotype like restaurant tax evasion is just throwing even more gas on that.

especially when the artist says the local population on buses or in restaurants were his art inspiration.

Terrell

seems like one of the two guys that came up with the idea is Chinese... or at least half Chinese. its programmer. Richard Lee.

half Chinese from Markham o.0 if Markham is anything like Richmond here in BC that only adds fuel to the fire because there's a lot of sort of.... not racism, but sort of xenophobia or at least nationalism about Chinese stereotypes related to money, real estate, money laundering and tax evasion. so a game that features a stereotype like restaurant tax evasion is just throwing even more gas on that.

especially when the artist says the local population on buses or in restaurants were his art inspiration.

"Lee" is a surname that is common among non-Chinese Asian populations, as well. Just felt a need to point that out to you.

The rest of your statement still holds water, though. An Asian man can fall into parroting racist stereotypes about Asian people because it's not about their specific nationality and not see an issue with that.

"Lee" is a surname that is common among non-Chinese Asian populations, as well. Just felt a need to point that out to you.

The rest of your statement still holds water, though. An Asian man can fall into parroting racist stereotypes about Asian people because it's not about their specific nationality and not see an issue with that.

Lee can also be an English last name

Yeah, for sure... I saw the name this morning early and I didn't post about it for precisely that reason.

But tonight I watched an interview they did (it's on their website now too around 2:45 in) and they descripted the ethnicities of the 4 devs, and said he was half Chinese.

Anyhow, it actually makes the issue even more controversial because it also interjects itself into a regional cultural and political issue... I don't know Markham all that well but I know if the game was made here in Richmond there would be probably a pretty huge local controversy, too.

Erheller

Thanks for pointing this out.

You can be racist as fuck to members of your own race, news at 11.

Top Bottom