• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congresswoman Calls Out Canadian Game Studio for Racist ‘Dirty Chinese Restaurant'

I have one piece of advice for anyone who tries racial humor

Don't.

Really, for every one Blazing Saddles, you get 100 pieces of shit like this by people who think that being offensive is shorthand for being funny, so just don't.

I'm worried when you find out most groups of friends make so many racial jokes based on racial stereotypes. This game can be condemned but its existence isn't reflective of anything new.

As someone who reported health code violations for a newspaper for 4 years, I can assure these idiot devs that Chinese restaurants are among the best at following regulations.

Now your local Hardee's...that's a different story. :/

Aizo

Banned
Speaking as a dirty Chinaman I hope they recognise that the best Chinese restaurants must have:

A) fish tanks
B) those round tables with removable cloth and the round swingy things
C) rude waiters

None of this straw hat and dumpster diving shit though.
Jintor, you just almost described all most all my favorite Chinese restaurants in japan, except all the waiters are super sweet.

L Thammy

These people are in Ontario, right? Now I'm wondering if they got kicked out of Mandarin once and this is their way of expressing that.

The actual point of satire is lost on a lot of people and they just take it at face value.

Dave Chapelle really struggled with that. The "blind black KKK member" sketch was meant to highlight the stupidity of racist attitudes, but racist people found it hilarious without realizing they were the butt of the joke. Genuinely good satire, which this game is not, runs the risk of being too subtle and having its point lost.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Big-O-Tree Games, headquartered in Ontario, Canada, is forthcoming about the blatant racism in their game, stating that the title is “a shining example of our unorthodox modus operandi.” They have positioned themselves as makers of “games that are tongue-in-cheek, shockingly humorous, and full of satire inspired by the mad world we live in,” because “being politically correct is so…boring.”

Well congrats; they've achieved their edgy and righteous goal of making SJW snowflakes' arguments invalid and putting the bleeding heart liberal voices in a shameful stupor. All they had to do was attack the easiest and most innocuous target---the model minority. Making us seem like perpetual foreigners in a country where we were born is such a unique and thought provoking statement. Well done big o tree games, please port this to switch.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
They're right though, political correctness is boring.

And Big O Tree games are a beacon of light in a totally stuck up world. They are probably suuuuuper kneeling at the national anthem. Finally, some truly punk rock developers.

L Thammy

And Big O Tree games are a beacon of light in a totally stuck up world. They are probably suuuuuper kneeling at the national anthem. Finally, some truly punk rock developers.

Kneeling at O Canada?

...Actually, who stands for O Canada past high school?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Apple and google should ban these developers from submitting any games to them. Absolutely disgusted at this.

That press release from Bigotry Games is a roll call for "signs of an asshole".

Yeah, can't really protest against this game's existence when shit like South Park is mainstream.

That's been something I've been mulling over, Cartman was designed to be dead baby humor cuz he's this hateful little shit and the shock is what drove his humor. Thing is now, with shitheads like Cartman in real life doing that, it not only doesn't seem as funny (as it's not sincere), but also can get confused like how you did: that it was sincere.

Frankly, I feel characters like Cartman not only should be shelved for a bit, but need to for that reason.

Arkeband

Banned
I mean, its not like the game's objective is to demean chinese, its has the option to though...

Are you serious? Even if there was a choice being presented, the game is still racist in every other aspect. The developers are literally named "bigotry". The motive is crystal clear.

hollomat

Banned
I’d be shocked if this comes out on the App Store. Google play seems more of a free for all though so it will likely come out there.

I wish the game hadn’t been called out though. Now it’s going to be noticed and actually get sales from idiots. Would’ve been much better to just ignore it and let it fade into obscurity when it comes out.

Oh wow this studio is located in Markham which is has a incredibly large Asian makeup.

My hometown, and yes it has a huge asian makeup. This is extremely surprising for me as I haven't seen this type of racism in a long time around Toronto and it's even more surprising considering it's a studio within Markham.

For those who don't know the demographic, it's like the equivalent of a game studio in Compton making a game that is blatantly racist against Blacks.

L Thammy

I've never understood this argument.

Being racist or sexist doesn't make you exciting or funny. It just makes you racist or sexist.

It's because for some people, it's really hard to to be ___ist all day, and sometimes they just want to let loose and release all of the things they've been holding back.

danmaku

If they just called it "Dirty Restaurant", with generic people sprites, nobody would've complained. But no, it had to be Chinese, because "satire".

*sigh*

Wonder why none of these anti-PC, lol so edgy assholes never make their satire products from the heaps of negative stereotypes about white people. Gee, almost like they want to be patted on the back for punching down to minorities and not offending the delicate sensibilities of similar edgelords.

Has anyone made a game like this without the dumb racist overtones? Because the idea of a game where you manage a restaurant in a Roller Coaster Tycoon sort of way sounds fun.

Lunar15

My boredom and entertainment is way more important than the lives and portrayal of others! Fuck yeah!

Really, this is just the edginess I was looking for to improve my life. I can't imagine living without it.

psyfi

Banned
racism is one of the most fundamental values of the western world and yet these idiots think they're pushing boundaries

BigEmil

Wonder why none of these anti-PC, lol so edgy assholes never make their satire products from the heaps of negative stereotypes about white people. Gee, almost like they want to be patted on the back for punching down to minorities and not offending the delicate sensibilities of similar edgelords.
Exactly.. As an Asian I hate it when people act racist towards Asians act like it's nothing but it becomes a big deal for any other race including towards Whites

Asians become the punching bag of racism in the West when they can't be racist towards anybody else. How about don't be racist at all?

TripleBee

Racist garbage game - MADE IN CANADA IN HEADLINE

Cuphead, FarCry, Assassin's Creed, Warframe, Dawn of War, Mass Effect, Deus Ex - NO MENTION OF MADE IN CANADA

hmmmss :mad:

Iksenpets

Banned
I was naive and thought that this was about a game including a stereotypically dirty restaurant as a single scene. I didn't imagine that someone had blown the whole dumb concept up into an entire game.

Top Bottom