• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congresswoman Calls Out Canadian Game Studio for Racist ‘Dirty Chinese Restaurant'

BTA

It's almost like South Park taught people that shitty stereotypes are apparently inherently satire for some reason.

Renekton

The mobile game is fairly straightforward; players take on the role of Wong Fu, who inherited a Chinese restaurant from his brother, Wang Fu.
Wong and Wang are the same Chinese word too. These guys definitely had no interest in anything other than caricature/parody D:

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This doesn't sound like a satirical game, it seems to be a glorification of racism. Fuck these guys.

They're obviously aiming to get attention by being racist assholes. Calling them out only works if there's a moderate chance that the game actually will be removed.
Otherwise they're just getting that attention, and the support from other racist assholes and edgelords that comes with being called out for being a racist asshole.

FranF

Banned
The fucked up thing is that a "Chinese Restaurant" sim made by Chinese-Canadians and generally respectful people could be really funny and unique. Racism is poison

Big-O-Tree Games (wordplay on “bigotry”)

Big-O-Tree Games, headquartered in Ontario, Canada, is forthcoming about the blatant racism in their game, stating that the title is “a shining example of our unorthodox modus operandi.” They have positioned themselves as makers of “games that are tongue-in-cheek, shockingly humorous, and full of satire inspired by the mad world we live in,” because “being politically correct is so…boring.”

Edgy.

Camjo-Z

Watched the trailer, seems like they wanted to make a comedy management sim game but instead of actually going through the effort of making funny situations they just decided to rely on tired old racial jokes. Wow, Chinese people eating cats and dogs. Really had to dig deep for that one huh.

Big-O-Tree Games, headquartered in Ontario, Canada, is forthcoming about the blatant racism in their game, stating that the title is “a shining example of our unorthodox modus operandi.” They have positioned themselves as makers of “games that are tongue-in-cheek, shockingly humorous, and full of satire inspired by the mad world we live in,” because “being politically correct is so…boring.”

Pubw7cP.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Speaking an Asian-American person, I'm unsurprised that at least two members of this forum find these types of racial stereotypes amusing but disappointed anyway.

What you find "funny" just perpetuates the caricatures and stereotypes Asians find themselves having to defy on a regular basis.

I can't tell you how many people have publicly slanted their eyes at me during my childhood, or used the phrases "herro" or "____ love you long time" post Team America or Full Metal Jacket. Not funny at all.

I was born in New Jersey and can't speak a lick of Chinese either. Being Asian is my heritage and race (which I'm proud of) but not my definition.

Not angry or offended, but disappointed that what "amuses" people when it comes to Asian stereotyping is still considered socially acceptable in the modern day.

For me, that whole Sum Ting Wong situation is funny not because of the blatant racism but rather because of the sheer absurdity of the fact that a news organization is stupid enough to fall for such an incredibly stupid stunt.

This one though, it's not funny at all.

I really doubt the game will make it on to the iOS App Store now that everyone is talking about it, plus Apple's moderation is already pretty comprehensive.

joecanada

No, banking on racist stereotypes because you don't know how to be genuinely funny, that's boring.

Yeah the entire game sounds boring as fuck . Oh they cook cats and dogs hur dur get it that's hilarious. Noones gonna take the time to sideload this

jdmonmou

This game needs to be called out as racist, but that's also going to create free publicity for this. Quite a catch 22.

Fhtagn

Its release date is yet to be determined and will be available for download on Google Play and the App Store.

Uh, did these doofuses read Apple's TOS? Unlikely they'll make it to the store or stay in the store long.

Taker666

I think the congresswoman is giving them exactly what they want in regards to publicity.

Looking at the game it could pretty easily have just been called 'Dirty Restaurant' and have been easily adapted to just be about any shitty restaurant, with any shitty food, with shitty staff.

The focus on a Chinese stereotype was deliberately done simply to get reactions like this to promote the game IMO.

They think what they do is satire? They're clearly confused on what satire means.

If it's supposed to be a satire on "PC gone mad"™ then they're doing that wrong too.

Not angry or offended, but disappointed that what "amuses" people when it comes to Asian stereotyping is still considered socially acceptable in the modern day.

I'm in full agreement on this. Asian stereotyping is so normalized and ingrained that it's not really worth getting angry or fighting over. You don't even have to look further than the first post of this thread to even see that lol.

It is a little disappointing, but not at all surprising.

RRockman

Banned
At least she didn't demonize games as a whole. She'said pretty cool. Big-o-crap on the other hand can burn for all I care though.
And Wiped? Please get it together.

Hylian7

You can't honestly call your studio "Big-O-Tree games" and make a game chock full of racism and then just say "IT'S SATIRE LOL IT'S JUST SATIRE WHY ARE YOU OFFENDED"

That's like saying all the people that repeat the N-word in PUBG lobbies are just being satirical or ironic.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
I'm all for edgy humour, but this is just clearly shitty taste. This isn't just racist towards Asian-Americans - it's racist to anyone of Chinese lineage and it's ugly.

I dont usually say that you should ignore racist stuff but I think this is the one case where it would have been better if she had.

I hadnt heard of this game or company. I doubt many people had. They are very clearly going for that shitty 13 year old edgy crowd. And the publicity they will get out of this will be super helpful.

Should have just let it die out.

Vlaphor

I have one piece of advice for anyone who tries racial humor

Don't.

Really, for every one Blazing Saddles, you get 100 pieces of shit like this by people who think that being offensive is shorthand for being funny, so just don't.

Galang

Banned
This is so fucking disturbing. Shouldn't even be allowed to be put for sale or tolerated. Watched the trailer and yeah... Not surprisingly their depictions of black people is also racist as fuck

I can appreciate good politically incorrect humor but this feels like politically incorrect humor just for the sake of being politically incorrect which I cannot get behind. When you're mission statement is to aggressively not be PC you maybe should reevaluate your values...

I have one piece of advice for anyone who tries racial humor

Don't.

Really, for every one Blazing Saddles, you get 100 pieces of shit like this by people who think that being offensive is shorthand for being funny, so just don't.

Plenty of today's comedians can pull it off. Thing is these are just low tier game devs, not comedians.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The defining features of South Park aren't racist stereotypes which is what the foundation and entire premise behind this game's existence are though.

The studio behind it is literally called bigotry.
South Park all too often makes fun of racist stereotypes, let's not pretend they don't. The whole Chinese restaurant owner (vs Mongolians) theme was very prominent in the show at one point. They always do it under the guise of ”but we are just making fun of bigots!", which may be the true intent for all I know, but they inevitably end up giving those same bigots joke weapons for years to come. I've personally witnessed a guy in the wheelchair being yelled to ”Timmy" one too many times. It gives them also an easy out of ”Oh but I was just quoting the show!"

Top Bottom