• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congresswoman Calls Out Canadian Game Studio for Racist ‘Dirty Chinese Restaurant'

kliklik

Banned
I don't know if this is racism or if the creators are racist – I don't know what their motivations are, but at this point I don't even care to debate semantics of what qualifies. This "humour" seems to have a target demographic of 14-year-old edgelords.

I am SO SO BORED of "anti-PC" and stereotypes-as-comedy content. It's been done to death. This stuff induces eye-rolls more than anger. It's so juvenile that I'm embarrassed on their behalf.

Wonder why none of these anti-PC, lol so edgy assholes never make their satire products from the heaps of negative stereotypes about white people. Gee, almost like they want to be patted on the back for punching down to minorities and not offending the delicate sensibilities of similar edgelords.

An excellent point. Somehow, being edgy is all about mocking others rather than your own groups. And minorities and discriminated against groups are expected to laugh it off and grow a sense of humour, but those telling them that can't even laugh at themselves.

Count me in as one of the guys who thought this was talking about a single scene/area in a game. But wow, a WHOLE game dedicated to awful stereotypes that's just so... brazen and apologetic about it.

For me, that whole Sum Ting Wong situation is funny not because of the blatant racism but rather because of the sheer absurdity of the fact that a news organization is stupid enough to fall for such an incredibly stupid stunt.

This one though, it's not funny at all.

I have to admit I chuckled at the image too because I was imagining newscasters saying those names aloud, completely unaware.

Exactly.. As an Asian I hate it when people act racist towards Asians act like it's nothing but it becomes a big deal for any other race including towards Whites

It is very frustrating, even as a white person.

Coworker constantly makes racist jokes. I jokingly told him, it's impossible to be racist to white people, he completely blew up on me.

How can you go around making racist remarks, but have no tolerance towards comments directed at yourself.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
This does not seem OK. Very un-Canadian.

Hopefully steps can be taken against this studio - I never want to see game makers (or anyone) out of work but these fuckers need to change their tune or find another career. Good to see that important people are speaking out.

It is very frustrating, even as a white person.

Coworker constantly makes racist jokes. I jokingly told him, it's impossible to be racist to white people, he completely blew up on me.

How can you go around making racist remarks, but have no tolerance towards comments directed at yourself.

Yep, you'd think a moment of getting offended at that would be a great moment for reflection, but people would rather get defensive and double down on their stupidity. There are surveys that indicate a growing amount of white folks feel like they're the real oppressed ones, and the only thing I can think of that's changing is that more and more people are calling out racism, bigotry, and ignorance. Sorry to anyone who feels like not being allowed to shout racial slurs and receive no consequences is the great tragedy of modern times (but I'm not sorry).

Can't see them getting away with making this kind of game about other races. Asians seems like the goto punching bag for edgy racists.

If they made a game about black people they'd be definitely racist. But for some reason Asians are fair game while shielding the person from being called out as racist. We all sound and look funny har har har.

This was used in a Chappelle's Show skit.

"Old Dirty is now changing his name from Dirt Mcgirt to the Ol' Dirty Chinese Restaurant."

jstripes

Banned
How was this approved for release on any app store? Does Google/apple have zero control over this stuff?

If it's not out yet, it hasn't been approved yet. It's not like you get pre-approval for these things. You finish it, and then hope it makes it.

So, Apple and Google could still block it. Of course, that would make these dickheads martyrs for the anti-PC types...

If it's not out yet, it hasn't been approved yet. It's not like you get pre-approval for these things. You finish it, and then hope it makes it.

So, Apple and Google could still block it. Of course, that would make these dickheads martyrs for the anti-PC types...

Games and apps on the Android store get approved extremely quickly though. If its not on Android yet, might be for a reason.

Sure, with Apple the process can take months, but I am really curious if this game is going to be considered offensive enough to not make it through.

you can do 'political incorrect' games like south park that's actually funny or you can do it this way that seems blatantly low taste (at least based on what's been described).

South Park games you say?
okvoidx.png

It's sickening how mainstream racism against Chinese people is. Even popular shows like South Park will make low brow jokes at the expense of them and no one bats an eye.

South Park all too often makes fun of racist stereotypes, let’s not pretend they don’t. The whole Chinese restaurant owner (vs Mongolians) theme was very prominent in the show at one point. They always do it under the guise of “but we are just making fun of bigots!”, which may be the true intent for all I know, but they inevitably end up giving those same bigots joke weapons for years to come. I’ve personally witnessed a guy in the wheelchair being yelled to “Timmy” one too many times. It gives them also an easy out of “Oh but I was just quoting the show!”
Never said they didn't do it, it's just not how one would describe the premise of the show. Unlike this game. That's the difference.

jholmes

My hometown, and yes it has a huge asian makeup. This is extremely surprising for me as I haven't seen this type of racism in a long time around Toronto and it's even more surprising considering it's a studio within Markham.

For those who don't know the demographic, it's like the equivalent of a game studio in Compton making a game that is blatantly racist against Blacks.

Not just that, but there are a ton of Chinese restaurants large and small in Markham right around Steeles, some of which of course look a bit shabby on the outside. It's like these people looked out the window and racism just poured out.

mbpm1

This game sounds pretty lame. Real "classy" developers too, they knew what they were doing.

Speaking as a dirty Chinaman I hope they recognise that the best Chinese restaurants must have:

A) fish tanks
B) those round tables with removable cloth and the round swingy things
C) rude waiters

None of this straw hat and dumpster diving shit though.
+1 for those darn fish tanks
Or those mini ponds for the fish instead

Not sure if anyone posted this, but it's from Big-O-Tree's website

5JGcQw5.png

Obviously the we're just a "teeny tiny game" comment comes out, along with some other weird stuff. Also what are they satirizing, people who make games like this?

We also listen to Jay-Z

Not just that, but there are a ton of Chinese restaurants large and small in Markham right around Steeles, some of which of course look a bit shabby on the outside. It's like these people looked out the window and racism just poured out.

And might I add some of the best damn Chinese food out there at great prices. There's a reason why the parking lots are nearly always rammed. I didn't expect this type of racism coming out of a studio so close to home. Hopefully they see what's wrong with it and try to improve themselves.

kliklik

Banned
"We here at Bigotry Games are not bigoted against Asians as evidenced by the fact that we like a Black celebrity. Please disabuse yourself of such a notion!"

Top Bottom