• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congresswoman Calls Out Canadian Game Studio for Racist ‘Dirty Chinese Restaurant'

At this point, they know what they're saying.

Some time in my life, I'd love to see the Asian stereotype (and blanket racism) be done with. Things like this don't help at all and are very lazy, low-brow jabs that aren't even funny at this point. It's just the same tired racist dribble that been present for decades.

True Fire

I know so many people who watch shows like South Park and the only thing they get out of it is the race jokes. I don’t have a problem with adult cartoons, but they attract the worst fanbases.

CazTGG

"I'm not racist, I have a lot of black...music on my iPod...that I (probably) didn't pay for"

These folks can drown in a sea of Lego for all I care. Oh and if they do see this post? Guys, it's just satire. It's in no way meant to represent how many Legos you should be stepping on right now.

N21

Not sure if anyone posted this, but it's from Big-O-Tree's website

5JGcQw5.png

Obviously the we're just a "teeny tiny game" comment comes out, along with some other weird stuff. Also what are they satirizing, people who make games like this?

We also listen to Jay-Z

It sad when people know that they're lying and not even trying properly.

Canadians are the ascended, the British were simply left behind. At least they are better than the Americans, or the damned as we like to call them...

But what about mah freedooms?!

Chash

Neo Member
thats pretty messed up. i was disappointed to read Canada and as i read, i prayed, please dont be in Ontario. Damn, im afraid to look up the city.

These developers should be embarrassed, whats the point in any of it?

dawgparty

That Jay Z comment was obviously them trolling

Yep, they're still shitheads but that much is pretty obvious.

EDIT: Okay jesus fuck this is bad. Went to their website and front page says "Because being politically correct is so...boring". Whatever, standard alt-right trash trolling. Then I move to the Games tab and there's a pixel chef with a cleaver standing near an alley cat. Fucking christ.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
brb watching Life of Brian for the 100th time in order to bathe myself in actually funny, highly intelligent satire

I found a hair in my hot and sour soup on Monday, but its not going to stop me from going there. I didn't know chinese restaurants apparently had a reputation/stereotype of being dirty. This congresswoman brought to light something I was unaware of.

I can't not see the Big-O part as a reference to the Big O notation. Probably part of their branding to try to appear as having some sort of depth. But the rest of their name is blatant to what their intentions are.

People need to stop taking offence from everything - if you don't like the game, don't buy it.

Its sad now much of the internet now seems to revolve around the endless cycle of outrage and castigation.

L Thammy

People need to stop taking offence from everything - if you don't like the game, don't buy it.

Its sad now much of the internet now seems to revolve around the endless cycle of outrage and castigation.

Or, how about you don't cape for people who are so goddamn unapologetically racist that they name their studio "bigotry"? I think that's what people need instead.

Sorry if calling you out on your shit offends you. If you're offended by people replying to you, you can always just not post.

Yeah, just don't talk about issues in the industry. Sweep them under the rug and they are basically gone. It worked on racism in America through the 80s and 90s and we all know how much we love the 80s and 90s.

Spman2099

Yeah! Why are people still getting offended by racism? We live in a post-racism world!

- _ -

Just when I thought the closeted bigots were all done, we get another one.

Lunaray

And people need to call out bigotry and not normalize it.

It's sad how much of the internet seem willing to pass off harmful stereotypes as satire as if that absolves it from any criticism whatsoever.

Slayven

The argument of people that really care but can't back up their reasoning

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Why do people need to stop taking offense to bigoted bullshit? Its not original, it's not clever, it's not funny, it's not satirical, it's just fucking racist. It's got no worth except to racists who want to be racist. What good reason besides racism should we just sit back quietly and put up with this kind of stuff? I want to know why it is such a big deal to point out this kind of shit for what it is?

Schneider

yes, because just ignoring games that propigate racism is preferable to confronting outdated, insensitive stereotypes

L Thammy

Yeah! Why are people still getting offended by racism? We live in a post-racism world!

- _ -

Just when I thought the closeted bigots were all done, we get another one.

The closeted bigots will never be gone, I think.

Some of them, if interested enough in staying on GAF, will just learn how to skirt bans.

Some of them will flow into the site, because there's only so much that can be done to keep them out.

It's kind of amazing people can't tell "politically incorrect" apart from "straight up racist", but here we are.

games that are tongue-in-cheek, shockingly humorous, and full of satire inspired by the mad world we live in, because being politically correct is so…boring.

Translation: we're a bunch of talentless hacks that can't make anything fun or remotely resembling comedy to save our lives, so we're going with the lowest conceivable common denominator to try to get some chuckles of the Beavis and Buttheads of this world.

The Pope

Any publicity is good publicity.

Seriously giving these Devs attention is a doubled edged sword - it could boost their sales to bigots.

Attention must brought to them though.

Gold_Loot

Bad taste and low brow humor.

What sucks is these guys could have made a good light hearted restaurant sim with some good witty jokes thrown in. Unfortunately they chose the low road.

L Thammy

Bad taste and low brow humor.

What sucks is these guys could have made a good light hearted restaurant sim with some good witty jokes thrown in. Unfortunately they chose the low road.

I kinda feel like they couldn't, even if they tried. I mean, subtlety was obviously not their strong suit.

KSweeley

Not sure if anyone posted this, but it's from Big-O-Tree's website

5JGcQw5.png

Obviously the we're just a "teeny tiny game" comment comes out, along with some other weird stuff. Also what are they satirizing, people who make games like this?

We also listen to Jay-Z

Also from that website link:

Screenshot_3.png

WTF.... This game is so fucked up, I hope it never gets released onto the Google Play Store/Apple App Store. This game is highly offensive and fucked up to me.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Before the internet, if you wanted to speak your opinion you needed to do it on the radio, on television, in a newspaper, or to someone's face. With straight white men holding the levers of power and being the most powerful employers, minority voices had a hard time reaching out from major media. Segregation, some of it self-imposed meant that speaking to minorties face-to-face about real shit was hard.

If you're white, and you're standing around the water cooler with your white boss and three other white employees, and you ask the Asian dude what he would have thought about some racist game in 1996, is he going to go along to get along?

Now, with the internet, we're hearing the voices of people who maybe aren't trying to go along to get along with other faceless randos. We're able to go online and hear gay, female, asian, and other minority voices speak on real shit.

Top Bottom