• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

I realize hes said borderline to actual racist things before, but is it possible he has no idea what Rocky 3 is and was thinking of some movie which has actual monkeys in it? Am I being ridiculous suggesting that?

Context plays a significant role

Context being, as you agree, that the dude is a flat-out racist.

Nothing about the question or his answer referred to black people specifically

Because racism can't be racism unless it's as overt and blatant as possible.

In this case, even a millimeter of wiggle room necessitates that even for a man you freely acknowledge is a racist, we have to step back from any read that sees his comments as being such.

You have to assume he is mis-remembering the movie

Why would I assume that when I could assume he's a racist? Which is the easier assumption? That the racist who is known for being racist is continuing to be racist, or that the racist who is known for being racist just had a mild and innocent oopsie moment.

Which of those is actually more of a stretch?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If anyone is forgetting what Mayweather said about Manny Pacquiao (Another piece of shit)

”As soon as we come off vacation, we're going to cook that little yellow chump ... Once I kick the midget ass, I don't want you all to jump on my dick. So you all better get on the bandwagon now ... Once I stomp the midget, I'll make that mother fucker make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice ... we're going to cook him with some cats and dogs."

I realize hes said borderline to actual racist things before, but is it possible he has no idea what Rocky 3 is and was thinking of some movie which has actual monkeys in it? Am I being ridiculous suggesting that?

Unless there's a reasonably well known boxing movie that prominently features literal monkeys, I'd say yes you're being ridiculous.

sibarraz

Banned
I understand why the dancing monkeys line is racist, but why is the "dance for me, boy" a racist line?

It has some historical connotation or what?

I'll say this, regardless of McGregor being racist. Anyone who thinks Mayweather isn't a bigger piece of crap is tripping. That dude embodies piece of crap all around .

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I understand why the dancing monkeys line is racist, but why is the "dance for me, boy" a racist line?

Boy has historically been used to refer to a black man for more than a century. It's used to demean an adult.

I only expect the rhetoric to ratchet up even more so as we get closer to the fight. Expect a lot worse to be said as things go on from fighters and fans alike.
Absolutely. This is being pushed as the biggest fight of all-time. They are going to pull out all the stops for this. The goal is to get everyone emotionally connected to this fight in some way. They don't care if it's good or bad, just that you are connected in some way.

They are pushing to get 5 million PPV buys. At $100 a buy, that's $500 million from PPV alone. The goal is to make this event the most profitable entertainment spectacle in history.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Yes go to Wikipedia type in the term "boy". They have a whole section on the racial connotations when used at people.

angelic

Banned

this is what I think, there is no way he would refer to black men as monkeys in such a way, he must have been misremembering something involving actual monkeys.

He wont have any idea about the boy thing, he's just trying to demean Mayweather, as if like saying "sit down son". And even then it's all just a theatrical performance to sell a fight, Conor respects Floyd.

Ronin Ray

I'll say this, regardless of McGregor being racist. Anyone who thinks Mayweather isn't a bigger piece of crap is tripping. That dude embodies piece of crap all around .

What kind of mind set is this? Who fucking cares ? There booth terrible! Same shit with Pac fans when they made him the default hero against Mayweather

Is this some kinda new pissing match? "Well hey I only stab people. I am not like those people that go around shooting people they have no class".

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
In the US. I don't Conor is smart enough to know that.

He was smart enough to know about the racial implications of what he said to Jose Aldo. Conor Mcgregor is not dumb where you can use the naivety excuse. In fact you can see how he awkwardly corrects himself in the video when he says it for the first time.

Desmond

You dont' have to be smart to know that.

It's a thing profoundly stupid people have historically picked up pretty quickly.
You do though. You have to link it to the culture and locale it's offensive in. It has no racial connotations in Ireland. It's used to demean of course, but not towards black people here.

And above, boyo? I'm not gonna justify that stereotype with a response 😂

Though, I suppose you're right, McGregor has been in America long enough to know.

ISOM

Saying dance for me boy is degrading and dehumanizing. It has racist connotations when Conor's whole persona has been line stepping racism.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
The only thing i can remember about "dancing monkeys" is when Apollo is teaching Rocky about basic footework and they both were dancing in the ring together.

M.J. Doja

Banned
this is what I think, there is no way he would refer to black men as monkeys in such a way, he must have been misremembering something involving actual monkeys.

Why is it so difficult to just see the obvious? The fuck does Rocky and Dancing Monkeys have to do with eachother? Do we pretend that this superstar celebrity lives under a rock? Like is it such a stretch to just assume he said a shitheaded racist remark?

Otherwise, why would anybody speak on the movie "Rocky 3" if you can't remember what actually happens in it?

Or maybe.. He's referring to a scene where black people are working on their footwork in a boxing gym, and calls them "dancing monkeys", because that's how he's always remembered it. Probably because its a funny comment to
you
him.

angelic

Banned
LOL. Now this is some dancing....

Not really, it's more like the monkeys comment is a gross misremembering of an old film, and the boy thing is just language differences. I've watched Conor since his 1st UFC fight, all of his promo stuff, he respects black athletes and I don't think he's racist.

What kind of mind set is this? Who fucking cares ? There booth terrible! Same shit with Pac fans when they made him the default hero against Mayweather

Is this some kinda new pissing match? "Well hey I only stab people. I am not like those people that go around shooting people they have no class".

A professional boxer beating a woman is a worse act then some idiot making racist comments. Let's not get that twisted. On top of that they are both racist to begin with.

So yeah, Mayweather is on another level .

Your hypothetical would make sense of McGregor was going out there physically assaulting people outside the ring .

Alienous

That's what I assumed, just because 'dancing monkeys in the gym' would otherwise be some of the most brazen racism I've seen from a celebrity who knows he's being recorded. And it isn't said with any discernable malice, or emphasis, so it doesn't seem like he thought it was a big deal.

But I don't know, it also seems too specific to be a mistake. It isn't 'is that the one with Mr. T?'. I'd have to believe that his defining memory of the film is of something that doesn't take place in it, and doesn't seem to take place in the films he'd likely confuse Rocky 3 for (to my albeit limited knowledge). I don't know if that is as believable as it just being an offhand, casually racist remark.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Not really, it's more like the monkeys comment is a gross misremembering of an old film, and the boy thing is just language differences. I've watched Conor since his 1st UFC fight, all of his promo stuff, he respects black athletes and I don't think he's racist.

“If this was a different time, I would invade his favela on horseback and kill anyone that was not fit to work.” - Conor Mcgregor

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
If anyone is forgetting what Mayweather said about Manny Pacquiao (Another piece of shit)

“As soon as we come off vacation, we’re going to cook that little yellow chump … Once I kick the midget ass, I don’t want you all to jump on my dick. So you all better get on the bandwagon now ... Once I stomp the midget, I’ll make that mother fucker make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice … we’re going to cook him with some cats and dogs.”

We probably shouldn't support either of these men.

haha! no no no. He's clearly skirting the edges for the big payday. It's "good" business.

But it's not necessarily the rampage inducing affair the internet is making it out to be.

angelic

Banned
The mental gymnastics people will perform to excuse an known racist for saying some racist shit is quite simply...astounding.

I'm a brit and I know how our language often gets misconstrued, the boy thing was 100% not racist, the monkeys thing...I really hope it wasnt, but I'll wait til the facts come out rather than savaging him.

A professional boxer beating a woman is a worse act then some idiot making racist comments. Let's not get that twisted. On top of that they are both racist to begin with.

So yeah, Mayweather is on another level .

Super. I've yet to see anyone deny that Floyd is a horrible human being. That isn't, however, what this fucking thread is about.

Context being, as you agree, that the dude is a flat-out racist.

Because racism can't be racism unless it's as overt and blatant as possible.
I don't think its that simple as overt vs covert. Even covert racism has an identifiable source of direction.

It is the difference between Conor saying "dance for me boy", which I think is absolutely covert racism.

And Conor saying "oh what movie was that.... I think there was a scene in the celebrity gym... it had some dancing monkeys". You have to change so much of the statement to make it fit into a different scene where black people are actually present before it even begins to take on the racist connotation.

For example if we took out the "monkeys" part, would you at all assume he is talking about Apollo's gym and black people when the statement reads "oh what movie was that.... I think there was a scene in the celebrity gym... it had some dancing.."? Of course not. The Celebrity Gym scene IS the scene that contains the Celebrity Gym and Dancing. You are instead taking the "dancing monkeys" part of the statement and trying to redefine the rest of what he said so it talks about black people.

Closer Two

Not only that he picked his old nickname in reference to one of his favourite artists, Biggie Smalls. He used to come out to his music.

Super. I've yet to see anyone deny that Floyd is a horrible human being. That isn't, however, what this fucking thread is about.

Jesus man... there are people in this thread that are saying "oh well NOW I want to see Mayweather kill McGregor"

That's what this is about . So yes people ARE denying Mayweathers awfulness.

M.J. Doja

Banned

Don't handwave a racist remark and do mental gymnastics to assume he meant no harm. You not thinking he's racist doesn't change what he said, or the perception of what he said.

Either he is doing it for hype, or he's got to apologize for being a shithead and letting people down. Or he can double down on the racist-bro demographic and hopefully cash in on the current geopolitical climate. Otherwise, why act like this, if you truly RESPECT some group of people you stand to offend.

It's not because he imagined dancing monkeys or thought "hey m'boy, keep up those lovely dance moves", and everybody is just being stupid and misunderstanding Conor McGregor.

Alienous

Also if it was a mistake you think he'd have snuffed it out promptly. "No I was thinking of [insert dancing monkey scene movie here]". There's been enough time for a statement.

We win if they both simultaneously knock each other out.

59IArud.gif

RangerX

Banned
I'm Irish and we understand exactly what the connotations of using "boy" and "dancing monkeys" are in the US. McGregor is a racist fuck, end of. This whole fight is a complete shitshow with two dickheads.

angelic

Banned
Not only that he picked his old nickname in reference to one of his favourite artists, Biggie Smalls. He used to come out to his music.

exactly, conors a young guy, living mostly in the US these days, in a sport where the best athletes (DJ, Jones, A Silva, Cormier, Aldo etc etc) tend to be black. I really don't think he's racist. As someone who's followed him for 4+ years, I'm waiting to hear the explanation for this "monkeys" comment before condemning him.

Top Bottom