• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

A bunch of suckers in this thread taking the bait. These dudes are making so much money off this, and doing it easily. These guys are masters of winding people up and it is evident in this very thread.

This is like the 2nd or 3rd post I've seen in this thread taking this same stupid tone/stance. What the fuck are you people talking about? "Connor is saying racist things purposely so that people can get upset at him being racist and you guys are falling for it!" Do you mean for your opinion to sound as stupid as this?

This entire fight is a trainwreck.

Racist vs Woman Beater in a fight that's a transparent sham for both of them to make millions of dollars that everyone is going to fall for anyway.

This could only happen in 2017

Wazzy

Banned
Welp Fuck Conor for his disgusting comments. I hate Floyd more so I do want to still see Conor win but after I think I'm done supporting Conor fights. He could have just kept his dumb mouth shut but he had to go for the racist shit.

Again, how are these two making money off this thread?

What causes you to believe the racist man who has said racist things before wasn't being racist now
Because he specifically referred to a scene in the celebrity gym in the movie which didn't feature black people. And it didn't feature monkeys either. So we can either assume:

1) He was referring to black people as monkeys because it fits the narrative he is racist
2) He was referring to a scene which played up the celebrity aspect of Rocky and he mis-remembered as having literal monkeys
3) He was referring to the dancers / product sellers / PR people etc. in the scene as monkeys (none of which were black)

In any case, because he misremembered the specific scene he referred to it is a massive stretch to go on and then say he is referring to black people when there are plenty of other reasonable comparisons.

And yes I do think he is racist (at least evidently to South Americans) - but it is very difficult to say this is without putting a bias over the top of it. I'd also add that nearly anything racist he has said, its been to the face of the fighter to get a rise out of them. Not that it makes it forgivable, but I don't think its off the cuff racism he deals with - its more the sort of stuff that he can get his opponent burning over.

Essentially what we are dealing with is

Conor has been racist before + Conor said "dancing monkeys" with little extrapolatable context = Conor is being racist about black people

It's not people are saying "it's okay McGregor gets a pass because Mayweather is a Wife beater"

It's more though people are now cheering Mayweather on to beat that Racist ass like Mayweather is the clean cut hero here to save the day

You're not being honest.

Mayweather is a racist, woman beating shit, McGregor is a racist shit. I'm not going to pay to see them fight but I'll check out the gif of McGregor getting knocked out later

Can the fight end with a double KO followed by the FBI swarming the ring and arresting everyone in the ring and the first four rows

Levito

Banned
I don't know how anyone can defend what Conor said, referring to black people as monkey's is about as racist as you get. "He didn't mean it that way"---what the fuck else does he mean?

As rumblebones pointed out on the first page, Conor has a history with this sort of racially charged behavior.

Also no one is defending Mayweather, he's a giant piece of shit too.

This is like the 2nd or 3rd post I've seen in this thread taking this same stupid tone/stance. What the fuck are you people talking about? "Connor is saying racist things purposely so that people can get upset at him being racist and you guys are falling for it!" Do you mean for your opinion to sound as stupid as this?

"IT'S A WORK!!!!" they said, as if that suddenly makes the racism ok.

Closer Two

Everyone in this thread is so ready to accept he's a racist despite not knowing anything about how Irish people talk. Jumping on the outrage bandwagon is so fun right?

"Boy" is used here like "man" is in the US.

Sup man = Well boy.
I don't know man = No way boy.

The monkey line is him mixing up Rocky III with another film.

Mayweather is a terrible person who beats women and gets away with it because he's really good at hitting people.
McGregor is a loudmouth wannabe wrestler shit talker and a bit of asshole but If you think they're comparable you are wrong.

Because he specifically referred to a scene in the celebrity gym in the movie which didn't feature black people. And it didn't feature monkeys either. So we can either assume:

1) He was referring to black people as monkeys because it fits the narrative he is racist
2) He was referring to a scene which played up the celebrity aspect of Rocky and he mis-remembered as having literal monkeys
3) He was referring to the dancers / product sellers / PR people etc. in the scene as monkeys (none of which were black)

In any case, because he misremembered the specific scene he referred to it is a massive stretch to go on and then say he is referring to black people when there are plenty of other reasonable comparisons.

And yes I do think he is racist (at least evidently to South Americans) - but it is very difficult to say this is without putting a bias over the top of it. I'd also add that nearly anything racist he has said, its been to the face of the fighter to get a rise out of them. Not that it makes it forgivable, but I don't think its off the cuff racism he deals with - its more the sort of stuff that he can get his opponent burning over.

Conor has been racist before + Conor said "dancing monkeys" with little extrapolatable context = Conor is being racist about black people

youtube linky?

Again nobody from inner city Dublin refers to people as boy!

You're not being honest.

Mayweather is a racist, woman beating shit, McGregor is a racist shit. I'm not going to pay to see them fight but I'll check out the gif of McGregor getting knocked out later
Man I'm with you they both shitheads but how am I not being honest?

Velcro Fly

Hey I acknowledged that both are bad and that one is worse and got jumped on for it. I also believe that because both people are pieces of shit it makes people less and not more likely to buy the fight. If someone gets knocked out gifs of it will be everywhere in no time anyway.

Everyone in this thread is so ready to accept he's a racist despite not knowing anything about how Irish people talk. Jumping on the outrage bandwagon is so fun right?

Sup man = Well boy.

Mayweather is a terrible person who beats women and gets away with it because he's really good at hitting people.
McGregor is a loudmouth wannabe wrestler shit talker and a bit of asshole but If you think they're comparable you are wrong.
What do "cholo gangster" and "horseback favela slaughter" mean in your crazy Irish slang?

Sup man = Well boy.

What a pathetic excuse. "You don't understand how Irish people talk! Also he probably just confused Rocky III with another movie about dancing monkeys that he wanted to compare black people to!"

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm guessing people have never seen Rocky Vs King Kong. That's obviously what Conor was talking about. The montage where King Kong is training on Skull Island for the biggest fight of his life. Still he's an ape, not a monkey

To the people who keep bringing up Floyds past shitiness what has this got to do with him?? if Mcgregor was referring to black people as dancing monkeys these were totally different, completely unrelated people to Floyd. If true it really show his innate racism towards all black people not just the one man he's going to fight. The comment has nothing to do with Mayweather other than he is fighting him next month.

Um because people are saying they hope Mayweather destroys McGregor because he's a racist and ignoring that fact that Mayweather is also a giant piece of crap?

So some people are dismissing one persons shitty-ness for another .

Dosia

I mean that is exactly what he wants. For people to hate him and buy the fight hoping he gets his ass beat. I thought it was obvious, but apparently not.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Sup man = Well boy.

Except you forget about his comment to Jose Aldo or you are aware and just wont bring it up because it doesn't fit the narrative.

And yes I do think he is racist (at least evidently to South Americans) - but it is very difficult to say this is without putting a bias over the top of it.

The bias would be that he's a racist, yes?

So it's pretty not-difficult to say.

And since you think he's a racist, why would you give him the benefit of the doubt that this perceived racism is in fact just a big misunderstanding, especially since you agree he's a racist, thus sharing the exact same bias being held by those interpreting his comment as a reference to Apollo's gym?

Levito

Banned
You know guys, Mayweather being a piece of shit doesn't suddenly make it 'ok' for Conor to be racist.

What kind of logic is this?

I didn't think of that at all, I tried to find a youtube of the scene that it made me think about. When Rocky is training like a pussy with the band and the bubble machines. I guess it depends how accustomed you are to racism.

i guess it depends how accustomed you are to reading the OP you passive aggressive fuck

I mean that is exactly what he wants. For people to hate him and buy the fight hoping he gets his ass beat. I thought it was obvious, but apparently not.

Who cares? What does that have to do with the discussion? And how does that equate people discussing this and condemning his racist comments as "suckers"? What you are basically saying is "he's not racist but he is saying racist things to get people upset at his racism lol haha suckers". Do you realize not only how stupid that sounds, but how irrelevant it is to the core of the conversation? As if using racism to sell a fight makes him any better/different than actually being racist.

41pknAF.jpg
You Don't Have To Pick A Side Between Floyd Mayweather And Conor McGregor

Lol start a poll and see how many people in this thread are gonna chip in on that 100 to buy this fight.

Lemme know how much money you think this thread is making them lol

Lol

You know guys, Mayweather being a piece of shit doesn't suddenly make it 'ok' for Conor to be racist.

Can't speak for other people but from my perspective it's reverse

Nobody should supporting anybody for this shit rather than say "hey they both evened out their scumbag levels so uh.... we back on square one"

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If I do watch this fight the night it happens it will be at a bar showing it where I'll pay them for beer and wings but I won't drop money directly on this shit show.

Bobnob

I predicted a 3 round ko tko for Mayweather, after all this bullshit im kind of leaning towards a 12 round showboat by Floyd, just letting McGregor recover enougth inbetween beatings.

McGregor doesn't need to be a racist to sell this card, lol, come on .

This is why his ass couldn't hang with the likes of Stone Cold and The Rock. They'd run circles around him.

They know how to be bad asses without turning full heel.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus

This makes sense although I would not know what letter to pick, I had not heard Conor was a racist before today. I know he's cool with a bunch of rappers but that's a color green thing and i'm not sure it counts. WTF, I'm not buying the fight anyway so what do I care. GGG VS Canelo will be a better fight and so will most of the SummerSlam lineup.

I will say that "Boy" is to fluent a term to just through racism on it, that part I do know. Everybody of every color in Philly uses a version of that between everybody else.

Catvoca

Banned
I'm Irish, this dude is racist as fuck. What are you lads on about with the "it's just slang" stuff? He's said so much questionable shit I don't know why you'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Even if "boy" wasn't intended to be racist, he's said so much worse stuff in the past that it's no question that he's racist (or for you pedants, somehow one says racist shit to provoke a response, which is indistinguishable from an actual fucking racist and just as harmful).

LotusHD

Banned

Sup man = Well boy.

Welp, glad that's cleared up then!

The bias would be that he's a racist, yes?

So it's pretty not-difficult to say.

And since you think he's a racist, why would you give him the benefit of the doubt that this perceived racism is in fact just a big misunderstanding, especially since you agree he's a racist, thus sharing the exact same bias being held by those interpreting his comment as a reference to Apollo's gym?

Because he specifically referred to a part of the movie in the "celebrity gym" and the Apollo gym was hardly a celebrity gym - it was a run down street gym and is very hard to mistake as a celebrity gym.

Either way, you have to recontextualise what he has said and ASSUME he is talking about something else in the movie for the racism to even work.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt because you have to stretch so far for it to fit into being racist.

It's not people are saying "it's okay McGregor gets a pass because Mayweather is a Wife beater"

It's more the fact some people are now cheering Mayweather on to beat that Racist ass like Mayweather is the clean cut hero here to save the day

They're both pieces of shits ans I'm not paying to watch them. Whoever wins we lose.

Griss

Also Irish.

As for "Dance for me, boy..." it's definitely racist, imo. Only Cork people generally use boy in that way. Doesn't happen in Dublin. Much more likely for a Crumlin / Lucan lad to be channeling the racist use of it picked up in American media.

As for "Dancing monkeys in the gym" having watched the applicable Rocky III scenes, it genuinely seems to me like he's either misremembering monkeys being in Rocky's circus of a celebrity gym or referring to all the morons around Rocky as monkeys. There's nothing to suggest he's referring to any group of black people in a gym.

Can't stand the guy either way. Doesn't represent me, that's for sure.

Chumley

Banned

The reverse is what's happening. That Conor's racism makes people love Floyd and equate his DV as being just as bad as this. You can hate Conor and still hate Floyd more.

Posts like that just bring to light how little GAF gives a fuck about domestic violence. And then the constant "it's not relevant" posts on top of that.

Top Bottom