• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

Malvolio

Trying to drum up insane levels of hype for what's set to be the most lopsided match in boxing history. These days racism sells.

The reverse is what's happening. That Conor's racism makes people love Floyd and equate his DV as being just as bad as this. You can hate Conor and still hate Floyd more.

Posts like that just bring to light how little GAF gives a fuck about domestic violence. And then the constant "it's not relevant" posts on top of that.

So in your opinion, everyone who thinks McGregor is a racist is also indifferent to domestic violence?

Ok

jett

D-Member
From the Guillero interview, Mayweather seemed way more humble. May fucking weather was more humble. I'm having a hard time accepting that

Mayweather is a straight professional outside of the WWE promo bits. It's funny because that shit just makes the drama around the fight even faker.

This is like the 2nd or 3rd post I've seen in this thread taking this same stupid tone/stance. What the fuck are you people talking about? "Connor is saying racist things purposely so that people can get upset at him being racist and you guys are falling for it!" Do you mean for your opinion to sound as stupid as this?

Yeah I don't see how that stance makes any sense.

LotusHD

Banned
The reverse is what's happening. That Conor's racism makes people love Floyd and equate his DV as being just as bad as this. You can hate Conor and still hate Floyd more.

Posts like that just bring to light how little GAF gives a fuck about domestic violence. And then the constant "it's not relevant" posts on top of that.

This is pretty disingenuous imo

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt because you have to stretch so far for it to fit into being racist.

But you don't have to stretch it at all. It's not a stretch. That's the point.

Like I've pointed out before, the hair you have to split in order to provide that benefit of doubt involves reconciling that he could accurately remember the "celebrity" nature of the gym (a term which is vague as shit anyway, considering neither gym is all that shiny OR run down) but then completely whiff on whether DANCING ANIMALS were in the movie.

Again: you believe this man is a racist.

How is the possibility that he isn't making a racist remark here, considering his history, the clear choice?

You're hinging all of your benefit on the use of the word "celebrity" as if that's the thing that would prove the racist man you think is racist wasn't REALLY being racist.

That his use of Monkeys while referencing ROCKY III was totally innocent.

I disagree with the read AND with the benefit of the doubt being offered to his words and to the man himself.

Also Irish.

As for "Dance for me, boy..." it's definitely racist, imo. Only Cork people generally use boy in that way. Doesn't happen in Dublin. Much more likely for a Crumlin / Lucan lad to be channeling the racist use of it picked up in American media.

As for "Dancing monkeys in the gym" having watched the applicable Rocky III scenes, it genuinely seems to me like he's either misremembering monkeys being in Rocky's circus of a celebrity gym or referring to all the morons around Rocky as monkeys. There's nothing to suggest he's referring to any group of black people in a gym.

Can't stand the guy either way. Doesn't represent me, that's for sure.
I agree. People saying he doesn't understand "boy" are just being naive IMO. The rest of the world is so over-exposed to American culture, we definitely understand some of the intricacies in the culture. And black racism is a big one. And the fact he corrected himself quickly shows he knew what he was saying. I just don't think he cares.

And this is a guy who knows the context of Brazilian racism and the issues of favelas and poverty there. He is an intelligent guy, if he can be aware of how to get a rise from Brazil over racism then he is certainly aware of how to do it with African Americans.

But I still don't think there is enough substance to suggest anything in this thread's content.

Levito

Banned

Floyd's domestic abuse is not the only evil shit he's into, he also took money from Ramzan Kadyrov--a dictator purging gay men in Chechnya.

But this does not make it 'ok' for Conor to refer to black people as 'dancing monkeys'; you don't need to pick a side.

Honestly I'm pretty fucking disappointed that Conor has stooped this low, but I shouldn't be surprised either I guess.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Why instead of any outrage, do some people instantly go for "both sides" arguments?

You're choosing to ignore one person's shittyness in the moment just so you can say "both sides are wrong"?

Fuck off. Even if it's hype or not, I don't see any excuse for the "dance for me boy" and "monkey" comments. At least in wrestling, you know they're getting paid to play a persona...

edit: but really, I'm not seeing how anybody starts posting "looks like NeoGAF doesn't care about domestic violence" in response to this thread, where people are being outraged about racist comments.

Chumley

Banned
All right, then why the assertion that Gaf doesn't care about domestic violence? What are you basing that on?

Constantly giving Floyd a pass, for one. The thread linked to earlier only reaching 3 pages. A general lack of threads made about the topic I've noticed over the year I've been here.

Floyd's domestic abuse is not the only evil shit he's into, he also took money from Ramzan Kadyrov--a dictator purging gay men in Chechnya.

But this does not make it 'ok' for Conor to refer to black people as 'dancing monkeys'; you don't need to pick a side.

Honestly I'm pretty fucking disappointed that Conor has stooped this low, but I shouldn't be surprised either I guess.

Yeah the Kadyrov shit is henious.

Agreed re: Conor. I hope someone brings this up and asks him about it.

He also posed for a picture with Trump!

O9MSgCk.jpg

Dastardly!

Like I've pointed out before, the hair you have to split in order to provide that benefit of doubt involves reconciling that he could accurately remember the "celebrity" nature of the gym (a term which is vague as shit anyway, considering neither gym is all that shiny OR run down) but then completely whiff on whether DANCING ANIMALS were in the movie.

How is the possibility that he isn't making a racist remark here, considering his history, the clear choice?

You're hinging all of your benefit on the use of the word "celebrity" as if that's the thing that would prove the racist man you think is racist wasn't REALLY being racist.

I disagree with the read AND with the benefit of the doubt being offered to his words and to the man himself.
Context plays a significant role. Nothing about the question or his answer referred to black people specifically - you have to work backwards to fit it in. You have to assume he is mis-remembering the movie, at which point he can just as easily be misremembering a number of things about the movie.

Could he have been being racist? Absolutely. But the evidence doesn't support your willingness to support that stance so completely.

Just as I can recognise the potential that he is being racist here, the lack of concrete context to what he said means you also need to recognise that what he said could be totally innocent.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Constantly giving Floyd a pass, for one. The thread linked to earlier only reaching 3 pages. A general lack of threads made about the topic I've noticed over the year I've been here.

Lol

M.J. Doja

Banned
Context plays a significant role. Nothing about the question or his answer referred to black people specifically - you have to work backwards to fit it in. You have to assume he is mis-remembering the movie, at which point he can just as easily be misremembering a number of things about the movie.

Could he have been being racist? Absolutely. But the evidence doesn't support your willingness to support that stance so completely.

Just as I can recognise the potential that he is being racist here, the lack of concrete context to what he said means you also need to recognise that what he said could be totally innocent.

No.

"Dance for me, boy" saying that to a black person is straight up racist.

To Conor, these are probably the "dancing monkeys".

51cFkLvMlLL.jpg

2993cf5.jpg

This isn't Conor McGregor's first round with racist comments.

(referring to Diaz bros) "fuck those cockroaches...He's like a little cholo from the hood"

(about Brazil fighter Jose Aldo) “I own this town, I own Rio de Janeiro. If this was a different time, I would invade his favela on horseback and would kill anyone who wasn’t fit to work. But we’re in a new time, so I’ll whoop his ass instead."

"When I'm done, I want to turn his favela into a Reebok sweatshop.”

You wont get an answer from Conor - he'll just tell the reporter to STFU as he did after the Brazil racism

Smokey

It's a shame Mayweather gave in to fight this dude and is going to essentially make him $100,000,000.00+ richer.

Constantly giving Floyd a pass, for one. The thread linked to earlier only reaching 3 pages. A general lack of threads made about the topic I've noticed over the year I've been here..

This is a pretty flimsy standard to apply to the concept of "giving him a pass" though. Like, you're going to suggest that even though everyone in this thread acknowledges what a trash human he is, because the post counts of dedicated threads in off topic are smaller that this one right now, he is benefiting from a site-wide pass?

C'mon man. Mayweather isn't getting any pass here. And using thread lengths to as the measuring stick to determine that seems wrong.

You just have to read what people are actually saying about his rotten ass to see how much of a "pass" he's getting.

Hell, Mayweather seems to be getting less of a pass than McGregor is. Nobody in here is trying to argue that Mayweather's transgressions are falsified and or over hyped. You got people in this thread saying they know McGregor is a racist but he wasn't being racist THIS TIME.

Either way, like I said to you earlier, it ain't a contest. Mayweather is a piece of shit. No passes are being handed out.

It's a shame Mayweather gave in to fight this dude and is going to essentially make him $100,000,000.00+ richer.

Uhh, Mayweather will make the easiest $100m he has ever made while also improving his record to 50-0.

This is a win-win for both Floyd and Conor.

Floyd/Conor don't give a shit that there's a 9 page thread on neogaf about what trashfire humans they are. Nobody's being "duped" into that discussion.

What they want are PPV buys.

I don't know that anyone in here is making that buy. Or contributing to that buy at a friend's house.

What about people who will buy the fight at a later time? No one has to buy the fight right now. What about lurkers who see all of the activity in this thread and decide to purchase? What about people who just didn't admit that they were going to spend money on the fight in some way.

Everything, including this thread, plays into the hands of UFC, Floyd, and Conor.

There is a direct correlation between interest and PPV buys.

Dana White says the data he's seen in terms viewers of the press conferences and other elements tell him Floyd vs. Conor will be the biggest fight of all time.

Desmond

Wait, doesn't dancing monkey simply mean lackey, regardless of race? I understand that he shouldn't have said it but can we assume he meant it in a racist way?

Have you never heard the word monkey used to describe people in a non-racist way? I could absolutely see that shitshow of a gym with all the suits described as dancing monkeys.

Max_Po

Banned
Some of Conor's talk used to be very entertaining back in the day when he used to say stuff to his opponents.. I am going to knock you out in a round or in a minute or so and so. Also when he used to say that the fight is not going out of the first round ... but this type of non sense is beyond pathetic; I am not sure who is cheering him after listening to this type of garbage.

Smokey

Uhh, Mayweather will make the easiest $100m he has ever made while also improving his record to 50-0.

This is a win-win for both Floyd and Conor.

Yeah a win for a racist shit bag. My original point stands.

Mayweather isn't a saint either tho, to be clear.

Wait, doesn't dancing monkey simply mean lackey, regardless of race? I understand that he shouldn't have said it but can we assume he meant it in a racist way?
Yes it can mean that

In fact (correct me if I'm wrong as a non-American) that is usually the context in which I've heard it used, and while "monkey" is a racist term, I don't think "dancing monkey" is generally a slur for black people?

Yes it can mean that

In fact (correct me if I'm wrong as a non-American) that is usually the context in which I've heard it used, and while "monkey" is a racist term, I don't think "dancing monkey" is generally a slur for black people?

lol you're trying way too hard man.

You have nothing to lose by acknowledging McGregor's racism

Desmond

Yes it can mean that

I'm not American either. Monkey is of course a slur, though I have heard it also used as a term of endearment towards hyperactive/boisterous children. Very rare though. Hopefully another Irish person can back that up haha.

I think dancing monkey is a stretch to be fair . I don't know the Rocky scene in question. The implication could be a lot more obvious depending on the scene.

Yes it can mean that

In America it's an incredibly racist thing towards black people.

I get that people talk differently in Ireland but he is promoting an American event so he owns the responsibility not to use terms Americans would deem offensive.

Weckum

We win if they both simultaneously knock each other out.

The only correct answer. They both are assholes. It could only get better if somehow, by some kind of magic, Ronda Rousey gets knocked out as well as she watches this fight. The trifecta of idiots.

norm9

From that press conference-

“How can you not like him? He’s like a little cholo from the hood. But at the same time, he coaches kid’s jiu-jitsu on a Sunday morning and goes on bike rides with the elderly. He makes gang signs with the right hand and balloon animals with the left hand. You’re a credit to the community.”

Conor is a racist, but the Diaz comments sound pretty tame to me.

Saw some of that abomination of a press conference or whatever you wanna call it while out after work last night and wow, this whole thing is so WWE. Mayweather is obviously going to punch his face in, but McGregor is just in it for the payday anyway, he doesn't expect to win. That whole thing was just a ruse for more Pay Per View sales.

Not trying to excuse or rationalize his racism, it's absolutely unacceptable and should be condemned, but this whole thing is so embarrassingly WWE at this point it's sad.

Top Bottom