• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consequence of Sound's Top 50 Albums of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joining the other top album's topics already posted. Here's the top 50 from CoS:
http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/11/top-50-albums-of-2016/full-post/

Top 20:
01. Beyonce – Lemonade
02. Chance the Rapper – Coloring Book
03. David Bowie – ★
04. Frank Ocean – Blond
05. ANOHNI – Hopelessness
06. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – Skeleton Tree
07. Angel Olsen – My Woman
08. Anderson .Paak – Malibu
09. Bon Iver – 22, A Million
10. Leonard Cohen – You Want It Darker
11. Mitski – Puberty 2
12. A Tribe Called Quest – We Got It from Here… Thank You 4 Your Service
13. Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool
14. Blood Orange – Freetown Sound
15. Schoolboy Q – Blank Face LP
16. Wilco – Schmilco
17. Tim Hecker – Love Streams
18. Car Seat Headrest – Teens of Denial
19. Solange – A Seat at the Table
20. Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein – Stranger Things (Volume 1 & 2)

Like it better than the lists from Time and Rolling Stone, but admittedly I've only listened to a few in the top 20. Most of the guitar stuff in the lower half of the rankings.

faridmon

I didn't like any of the ones I have listened to in top 20 :/

Good to see Pinegrove, Japanese Breakfast, Weaves and Martha represented though.

smisk

Fuck, I can't believe Sioux Falls, Rot Forever is on there! (#36). Probably my favorite album of this year but I've never heard anyone talk about it.

allansm

I didn't like Lemonade, it sounded too artificial and calculated to me, and Coloring Book is overrated, but I agree with most of the top 20.

I'm happy to see The Body, Nicolas Jaar, Japanese Breakfast and Tim Hecker on the list, they all released great albums that I feel haven't got the recognition they deserve yet.

Yado

Also, yasss kween etc

PjDUH1O.jpg

I guess I'm in the minority, but he's sound is unique. Chance figured out how combine gospel and hiphop when you can hear it in the instrumentation (partly due to Donnie Trumpet) more so than artists like a Lecrae and their production. There isn't another artist like him. It's a refreshing sound in a world where we have Meek Mill, Drake, Young Thug, and etc.

At least in 2016, he felt like a breath of fresh air.

I'm shocked Kanye's TLOP didn't make the list.

Also shocked Solange was only at 19. I'd take Solange higher up the list and Frank Ocean lower. He doesn't deserve that 4 spot.

Anderson Paak was amazing too. But my wife banned it from the car. She said it was just too much cursing. But I still love the album. But she really did say she can't listen to it in the car.

K.Sabot

I don't see the hype around Lemonade or Coloring Book.

Both were insufferably boring to me, Beyonce's Self Titled and Chance's Acid Rap mixtape were leagues more interesting and fun than their output this year.

I don't think I'll ever get into rap. Feels so weird seeing best albums just keep being rap.. I just don't get it. I really enjoyed black star and Moon shaped pool though!

Corpsepyre

Banned
It sounded so boring without the Doom metal... They are just another slowcore band now, while their previous album sounded really unique.

The sound's stripped down, yes, but even more melancholic and devastating (not sonic-ally) than before, and that grabbed me instantly. The fact that Patrick Walker is doing the vocals means it's not just another slowcore band. Not one bit. They transcended any categorization, and found the sound they wanted to nail with the first one. But that's just my opinion, and you're free to have yours, ofcourse.

YaBish

Seeing The Hotelier on this list warms my heart. I think I've came back to Goodness more than any other album this year.

allansm

The sound's stripped down, yes, but even more melancholic and devastating (not sonic-ally) than before, and that grabbed me instantly. The fact that Patrick Walker is doing the vocals means it's not just another slowcore band. Not one bit. They transcended any categorization, and found the sound they wanted to nail with the first one. But that's just my opinion, and you're free to have yours, ofcourse.

Patrick Walker sings passion in a unique way, I agree. But I tend to give more weight to the instruments and the structure of the song than to the vocals and the lyrics, so with the changes in sound they lost their appeal to me.

I guess I'm in the minority, but he's sound is unique. Chance figured out how combine gospel and hiphop when you can hear it in the instrumentation (partly due to Donnie Trumpet) more so than artists like a Lecrae and their production. There isn't another artist like him. It's a refreshing sound in a world where we have Meek Mill, Drake, Young Thug, and etc.

At least in 2016, he felt like a breath of fresh air.

Also shocked Solange was only at 19. I'd take Solange higher up the list and Frank Ocean lower. He doesn't deserve that 4 spot.

Agreed on alladat. Coloring Book has been the soundtrack to my "please let this be a good day" days since it dropped.

see5harp

If Coloring Book had kept up the pace in the second half of the album instead of closing with that dumb ass Kirk Franklin song I'd probably like it more.

I'll be the boyfriend in your wet dreams tonight
Noses on a rail, little virgin wears the white
You cut your hair but you used to live a blonded life
Wish I was there, wish we'd grown up on the same advice
And our time was right

My boy Frank Ocean.
mjcry1.png

NandoGip

Chance album had too much Jesus shit. These magazines know that you got to make the list controversial to get attention.

Edit: I'm just glad hip hop and r&b is strong though. Solange shouldve been up higher, but I haven't heard some of the albums, so maybe they are better. Solange album def better than Chance though so who knows.

Good to see Frank Ocean getting the recognition he deserves everywhere on these lists. Probably one of the most overlooked black artist to come out with new music this year.

see5harp

A lot of the rap songs on Wildflower sucked IMO (outside of the amazing Camp Lo opener that was like the perfect summer anthem for rolling down the street with your windows open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom