• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consequence of Sound's Top 50 Albums of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was not expecting Lambchop, The Body, Jenny Hval, and Car Seat Headrest to show up here. Nice!

ANOHNI sounds fascinating based on the description ("Reinforcing ANOHNI’s urgency is the heightened melodrama of the production, the result of the maximalism of Hudson Mohawke clashing with the hyperkinetic experimentation of Oneohtrix Point Never. Between psychosexual voyeurism to feminist theory about our connection to the Earth, ANOHNI issued a scathing indictment of how we got here"), will buy that.
I noticed there were no Korean artists on the list.

jbhmmm.png
Surely, you don't mean Kpop, right?
giphy.gif

see5harp

Wozard of Iz is the only other rap song I thought was actually listenable. I just didn't think the rap stuff mixed well with their psychedelic style. Listening to this album start to finish and then Since You've Been Gone was actually depressing to me. Driving through the hills in Hawaii during the summer was some transcendent shit. It's hard to not hit the skip button a few times during Wildflower.

NandoGip

Coloring Book is better than Pablo.

Fight me.

No problem is better than anything on TLOP but I would say TLOP is better than Coloring Book as a whole.

The only blemishes were the random trash-tier lines that really take you out of the moment like the "bleached asshole line" and others. Also Panda being on the album doesn't help.

The intro to Father Pt. 1 alone puts TLOP in the conversation.

see5harp

I also really loved ANOHI but all of my favorite songs are the most direct and grotesque. The DRONE BOMB MEEEEEEEE's got sorta grating after a while.

NandoGip

Good to see Frank Ocean getting the recognition he deserves everywhere on these lists. Probably one of the most overlooked black artist to come out with new music this year.

Frank Ocean is overhyped AF. People have been constantly talking about him for years. He is the opposite of overlooked.

I liked Coloring Book a lot. He's one of the few rap artists that can make fun, uplifting hip-hop without being a cornball. Also has a unique style to his instrumentals and delivery. I am surprised to see Chance take #2 while Danny Brown doesn't make the top 20, though.

Also glad to see Leonard Cohen on there. His new album is great. One of the few artists who made music well into their senior years and was actually worth listening to on their own merits.

Catvoca

Banned
Glad to see Gaf peeps also think Colouring Book is overrated. I like the sound he was going for on the record but the songwriting just isn't there.

I gotta go back to that Frank Ocean record. I listened to it once or twice and it did nothing for me. Felt like a hip-hop artist learned how to play acoustic guitar for the first time lol, I must give it another chance.

Gorillaz

Coloring Book is better than Pablo.

Fight me.

No problem definitely crushes a good portion of that album
All we got and Drinking all night ain't bad either
but let's not get carried away here.

I can't wait until the industry makes this the "new" fad next year. Somehow this shit will win or at least get nominated for a grammy.

Glad to see Gaf peeps also think Colouring Book is overrated. I like the sound he was going for on the record but the songwriting just isn't there.

I gotta go back to that Frank Ocean record. I listened to it once or twice and it did nothing for me. Felt like a hip-hop artist learned how to play acoustic guitar for the first time lol, I must give it another chance.

It was not worth the wait. Coloring Book at least came out in a timely manner.

Viewt

is the wilco album any good? summerteeth is one of my favorite albums

It's solid - maybe a little bit better than The Whole Love, but not really on the level of Summerteeth/A Ghost is Born, and definitely not on the level of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or Sky Blue Sky.

sasliquid

I like Colouring Book but it's a step back from acid rap

ANOHNI is my album of the year so far but I still gotta listen to a few such as Beyonces and Angel Olsens

Bon Iver's album is hot garbage. The guy has lost his mind and has delved too far into experimental bullshit. Of course the magazines are going to eat it up.

His previous two albums were great. I don't know what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom