• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservative Senator defends Canada's Residential School System

Status
Not open for further replies.

SystemBug

I learned about them in high school during my Grade 10 history class. But then again, my history teacher really wanted to show us the horror of history first hand. I think I remember watching a bit of Schindler's List in that same class.

Same here! Grade 10 as well

CazTGG

I learned about them in high school during my Grade 10 history class. But then again, my history teacher really wanted to show us the horror of history first hand. I think I remember watching a bit of Schindler's List in that same class.

My history teacher in Grade 10 was very thorough in covering Canada's history. He put together a demonstration to show the living conditions Canadians would be subject to during World War I, going so far as to wear a uniform that a soldier would have worn, making the rations soldiers would have eaten for us to try and pulling out the "original" Canadian national anthem for us to confusedly sing, Maple Leaf Forever.

My history teacher in Grade 10 was very thorough in covering Canada's history. He put together a demonstration to show the living conditions Canadians would be subject to during World War I, going so far as to wear a uniform that a soldier would have worn, making the rations soldiers would have eaten for us to try and pulling out the "original" Canadian national anthem for us to confusedly sing, Maple Leaf Forever.

Man you guys are lucky. We learned SOME of the horrible shit the US did to Indians/minorities in our history classes (Trail of Tears). But by and large it was the typical "America's great yeah" or at most "Yeah we did some stuff...But everything's perfect now. Melting Pot!"

gabbo

Man you guys are lucky. We learned SOME of the horrible shit the US did to Indians/minorities in our history classes (Trail of Tears). But by and large it was the typical "America's great yeah" or at most "Yeah we did some stuff...But everything's perfect now. Melting Pot!"

My grade10 Canadian history class was about equal measures 'Canada's Great!' and 'Canada did some messed up shit we're still atoning/have to atone for' - Chinese labourers and the railroad, WW2 internment, Africville, native treatment/residential schools, and so on. It was still pretty eurocentric for the positives, but my teacher didnt hold back on the negatives. He'd probably just face palm over this pathetic excuse for a senator

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well intentioned?

Canada put over 1000 children into unmarked graves, no record of death, no notification to family.

Truly, a remarkable work.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada...d-in-unmarked-graves-report-reveals-1.2701373

To be fair: Canada isn't alone in doing that sort of thing. Truly some awful shit that happened at "boarding" schools that were intentioned for certain kids that normally wouldn't go there.

In any case, I agree with the folks that are calling for her resignation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom