• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservative Tony Abbott now PM of Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've come to congratulate Tony in person.

mfyH5fl.png

Beattie didn't even get elected, so bet on him.

The Giant

Banned
I get the feeling that this chimpanzee of a prime minster will be the most hated prime minister ever within the next 12 months.

Jintor

Have the boats been stopped?

Apparently an asylum seeker boat was intercepted in Darwin today. (The journo who reported it got a couple of responses saying "Oh nowwwwww the ABC is interested in reporting boat arrivals", ignoring the fact that they've been doing so for the last forever)

Yeah. It certainly aint going to be Plibersek as many on FB seem to think.

Why are there Senators on that list ? You aren't going to have a Senator as party leader unless you have no ambition of being the Government. Why is Peter Beattie on that list ? He didn't win the seat he was running for. They aren't going to take on a leader from outside the Parliament right now.

Staunch liberal supporter here.

It's been a blast hearing all the labor supporters whinge about the result. The vocal minority indeed!

I don't mind abbott, shits all over dudd and Julia gulia, but I am really looking forward to Turnbull running the country in a years time.

Hopefully the mining industry starts spending more again once the carbon tax is abolished and mining taxes are reduced. Bring back work choices and more rights for small business owners as well. Small business owners have been hit hard over the last six years.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there

It's been a blast hearing all the labor supporters whinge about the result. The vocal minority indeed!

I don't mind abbott, shits all over dudd and Julia gulia, but I am really looking forward to Turnbull running the country in a years time.

Hopefully the mining industry starts spending more again once the carbon tax is abolished and mining taxes are reduced. Bring back work choices and more rights for small business owners as well. Small business owners have been hit hard over the last six years.

what have you done Chicko? What have you done!?

Dead Man

I'd put $50 on mining companies doing nothing of the sort, if the mining tax is revoked, aside from pocketing the increased profits.

How do you think Turnbull is going to take over ? Abbot doesn't look like he's going to relinquish leadership voluntarily, the LNP dumped Turnbull for supporting the Carbon Tax in the first place and they watched the electoral results of the Rudd and Gillard Backstabbing Show , so they aren't going to knife a sitting PM.

You do of course realize that after Labor replaced Rudd with Gillard they allowed the mining companies to write the mining tax right ? It's abolition will make roughly no difference to any of the mining companies. The downturn in the mining industry has considerably more to do with reduced demand from Asia than the Carbon Tax and Mining Tax combined.

Work Choices is what got the LNP removed last time too.

P.S - Not a Labor supporter. I vote Greens.

Ventron

I get the feeling that this chimpanzee of a prime minster will be the most hated prime minister ever within the next 12 months.

I'm predicting the opposite. So many people believed their own BS over Abbott that when he actually starts the job and people realise he wasn't as bad as social media and election ads said, the ALP will be in even worse trouble than before.

BowieZ

Banned
I'm predicting the opposite. So many people believed their own BS over Abbott that when he actually starts the job and people realise he wasn't as bad as social media and election ads said, the ALP will be in even worse trouble than before.
Either way will be a good result.

Well I actually hope you're right. The consequences of him being as bad as I fear are far worse for the country than your proposal. I don't expect him to be as bad as for 2 reasons 1) He's actually pretty good at stepping to the side and staying out of the spotlight when its politically expedient and shrewd about doing so 2) The LNP party room aren't stupid.

The ALP won't be worse off either way, this was a protest election, Labor will recover seats next election pretty much no matter what they do short of declaring themselves the Atheist Communazi Fascist Party.

I still wouldn't exactly expect the internet/social media in general to warm to him anytime soon though, the NBN downgrade isn't going to win him any favors with technologists and he's not likely to appease the feminists any time soon either. There's pretty much 0 chance he's not going to cut or privatize the public service , education and health either, so he's not likely to win friends in that section either. Basically he's not going to win over any of the people who have been criticizing him without serious changes in position that he's not likely to make.

Jintor

I honestly don't have a good read. He's obviously not a pants-on-head buffoon like many were hoping but he's still just... weird.

That said, I don't particularly want Australia to fall over to presidential-style leader politics where personality outshines actual good policy positions etc (although, I think given the way the preferences market is currently working out, I don't think actual policy positions are worth a damn anymore anyway). That might end up by K.Rudd's enduring legacy, a nation that votes for the leader of the party without scrutinising what they'll actually do and how they're going to do it. Maybe we're already there.

If the LNP implements their gag order on asylum boat seeker reportage like they promised, apart from being a blatant "Fuck you" to the public in terms of FOI and whatnot, do ya'll think it might have an effect on being able to use asylum seekers as an issue in national politics in the future?

elfinke

I'm not above throwing good money after bad (and in any event, I live in a seat that elected Barnaby Joyce in a landslide), so I might have a tenner on Albo at the current $5.00. Bowen at $4.50 seems crazy though.

It would be a dream come true for Penny Wong to be Labor leader, but now is not her time - she would be wasted in our current -and visible short term - political climate. But, y'know, at $51 I might have to throw a dollar or two on her, just in case.

And just for good measure, Turnbull is paying $2.50 to be next Lib leader - I might add him to a multi (Abbott to not be leader at next election ($7), Australia to win the return Ashes series($2.62!!) and Liverpool to finish second in the EPL - really up the ante) and sit tight for the next 9 months.

Also, Kev owes me $10.

lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If the LNP implements their gag order on asylum boat seeker reportage like they promised, apart from being a blatant "Fuck you" to the public in terms of FOI and whatnot, do ya'll think it might have an effect on being able to use asylum seekers as an issue in national politics in the future?

Has the Coalition at all explained the reasoning behind a gag order? Because I can't really see it as anything other than "we don't want you to know".

How do you think Turnbull is going to take over ? Abbot doesn't look like he's going to relinquish leadership voluntarily, the LNP dumped Turnbull for supporting the Carbon Tax in the first place and they watched the electoral results of the Rudd and Gillard Backstabbing Show , so they aren't going to knife a sitting PM.

You do of course realize that after Labor replaced Rudd with Gillard they allowed the mining companies to write the mining tax right ? It's abolition will make roughly no difference to any of the mining companies. The downturn in the mining industry has considerably more to do with reduced demand from Asia than the Carbon Tax and Mining Tax combined.

Work Choices is what got the LNP removed last time too.

P.S - Not a Labor supporter. I vote Greens.

I don't know the circumstances of a turnbull takeover, but I have my suspicions he wants the job so will mount a challenge. Why would he stay in politics just to become a cabinet minister again? The guy is ambitious and has enough personal wealth to leave politics whenever he wants if his challenge is unsuccessful. He wanted to be prime minster Since joining the Howard government and he has support, he only lost to abbott by a vote for the leadership.

Yeah there has been reduced demand in our resources due to reduction in chinas economic growth rate but the reduction in demand has also been a result of our increasing price of production compared to other resource providers. Reduction in mining taxes reduces the cost of production and will Also increase spending by the mining companies on their own facilities. I work as a consultant to the big mining companies in Australia and know of a lot of mining infrastructure projects that have been put on hold while waiting for this change of government.

And if they keep the money for profit, I'm also happy considering I own shares in many of the large mining companies.

Hence why I am for the cutting of the mining taxes.

And just for good measure, Turnbull is paying $2.50 to be next Lib leader - I might add him to a multi (Abbott to not be leader at next election ($7), Australia to win the return Ashes series($2.62!!) and Liverpool to finish second in the EPL - really up the ante) and sit tight for the next 9 months.

lol

That's a nice multi

I don't know the circumstances of a turnbull takeover, but I have my suspicions he wants the job so will mount a challenge. Why would he stay in politics just to become a cabinet minister again? The guy is ambitious and has enough personal wealth to leave politics whenever he wants if his challenge is unsuccessful. He wanted to be prime minster Since joining the Howard government and he has support, he only lost to abbott by a vote for the leadership.

Yeah there has been reduced demand in our resources due to reduction in chinas economic growth rate but the reduction in demand has also been a result of our increasing price of production compared to other resource providers. Reduction in mining taxes reduces the cost of production and will Also increase spending by the mining companies on their own facilities. I work as a consultant to the big mining companies in Australia and know of a lot of mining infrastructure projects that have been put on hold while waiting for this change of government.

And if they keep the money for profit, I'm also happy considering I own shares in many of the large mining companies.

Fair enough. I decided a while ago that I value my social policy over my personal budget but I understand your position there.

This post is the epitome of 'fuck you I got mine'...

This post is the epitome of 'fuck you I got mine'...

In fairness "fuck you, got mine" is a perfectly rational decision to make in his circumstances. It only annoys me when it's people who are losing ground saying it to people who have basically no ground to stand on , well that and people who are pretending to be compassionate or impartial saying it.

seanoff

I have a very close relative that was a cabinet minister in a lib govt. there is genuine concern the tony is not stable or quick enough to last as PM. He can be at best very awkward, at worst dangerously insulting.

He will need very close minding, he isn't very good ad lib. He needs to be managed. If he gets off the chain, he is well capable of saying or doing something that will cost him the leadership, instantly. Its easy in opposition, anyone can be opposition leader. Govts more often than not fuck themselves (see this past labor govt, howard and work choices, etc etc). Much more difficult being PM.

Malclom would be a much safer option. Hockey is a buffoon, Bishop, nope. joyce needs minding too, he is an idiot. Pyne is the designated nodder. There is some talent there, a lot of it supporting turnbull.

I honestly expect abott to do himself in, within a year.

Saying you voted for "change" is easier than saying "the press told me so":

It seems hard to believe anyone pays attention to dead tree media, much less tabloid screeds. Is the AU populace really so dependent?

In the US I think the focus of debate has shifted entirely to online so there's more diversity of opinion but also increasing polarization from bunker taking/seeking. Probably some selection bias there as a 30-something in technology, but on the other hand we're one of the few households still getting multiple newspaper subscriptions (local and the NYT).

If AU's conservatives are like the US demographically, it's a self-correcting problem, in twenty years most of that voting bloc will be dead. Hopefully you haven't salted the fields, so to speak, in the meantime.

It seems hard to believe anyone pays attention to dead tree media, much less tabloid screeds. Is the AU populace really so dependent?

In the US I think the focus of debate has shifted entirely to online so there's more diversity of opinion but also increasing polarization from bunker taking/seeking. Probably some selection bias there as a 30-something in technology, but on the other hand we're one of the few households still getting multiple newspaper subscriptions (local and the NYT).

If AU's conservatives are like the US demographically, it's a self-correcting problem, in twenty years most of that voting bloc will be dead. Hopefully you haven't salted the fields, so to speak, in the meantime.

Murdoch owns over 50% of our Newspapers (which includes their online versions) and nearly all of our Cable TV. And a lot of people see newspaper headlines even if they don't read the paper. So his influence is not insignificant. It probably doesn't make the huge difference that some are claiming though, his demographic skews towards people who wouldn't vote anywhere Left of Center anyway.

The presence of the Palmer United Party makes it hard to tell exactly how much influence he had though, since the protest vault went to them rather than the LNP, and there would have been a considerable protest vote even without Murdoch's influence. If they weren't there you'd probably get a better idea of his influence by the size of the swing relative to previously unpopular governments.

Dead Man

So, you realise shit can only be taken out of the ground once, right? And that that money might be useful for funding universities and healthcare?

Gah, short sighted shit like this gives me the shits.

Rezbit

So, you realise shit can only be taken out of the ground once, right? And that that money might be useful for funding universities and healthcare?

Gah, short sighted shit like this gives me the shits.

Hey bro as long as investors and directors are making mad bank who cares? Who cares about ridiculously inflated cost of living in these little towns? When all the shits gone just bail the fuck out and dig another hole!

Side note, I can definitely see Turnbull sharpening his knife, sitting in the shadows and waiting for any slip up. That dude wants power. I give Tony 18 months personally.

Acorn

Behold, our new PM!

He'll probably be doing this a lot but this time in front of the whole world, good times ahead...

:(

Jesus, he seems worse than Milliband(He would answer with a single soundbite repeatedly), Clegg (Would lie) and Cameron(Blame the EU, somehow). Unlucky aussies.

He is like a little animal thats cornered, "I'll just nod my head until the scary person goes away, brilliant!"

Shaneus

Baby boomers. Keeping tabloid newspapers very much alive and well here in Australia, just like AM radio.

Kanyon

One hilariously funny thing to come out of this election is the Tony Abbott's Daughters Facebook page... Been laughing my ass off at it all evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom