• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservative Tony Abbott now PM of Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only a fucking muppet would think that this tit being elected is a good thing.

Australia's Prime Minister said:
‘I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak’

Is this really for real?

So australia is now ruled by a Fedora-hatter?

Dead Man

http://thesnipertakesaim.wordpress.com/2013/03/02/ipa-agenda-to-re-shape-australia/

I can't tell if this is tinfoil hat territory or real.
Parliamentary Liberal Party leader Tony Abbott told the IPA’s 70th anniversary dinner that the 12 items below in red have been agreed to and will be implemented.

1 Repeal the carbon tax, and don’t replace it. It will be one thing to remove the burden of the carbon tax from the Australian economy. But if it is just replaced by another costly scheme, most of the benefits will be undone.

2 Abolish the Department of Climate Change

3 Abolish the Clean Energy Fund

4 Repeal Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act

6 Repeal the renewable energy target

42 Introduce a special economic zone in the north of Australia including:
a) Lower personal income tax for residents
b) Significantly expanded 457 Visa programs for workers
c) Encourage the construction of dams

43 Repeal the mining tax

44 Devolve environmental approvals for major projects to the states

49 Privatise Medibank

69 Immediately halt construction of the National Broadband Network and privatise any sections that have already been built

Indeed it is. Quite grimey.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Privatise everything, especially public services, because everyone knows the ultimate goal of existing as a human being is to die an immeasurably wealthy selfish cunt at the expense of everyone except your insufferable children who'll spend your deathbed inheritance on cars, houses, televisions, and whatever other cosmetic goods they can to aid them in ignoring the poor, uneducated, sick, and impoverished. Society isn't about supporting each other, it's about supporting yourself in this dog eat dog world, and making sure your tomb stone is the biggest one in the lot (that you own, and all others pay a tax on).

EDIT: Oh, and make sure you throw out this:

(1) It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:

(a) the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people; and

(b) the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person or of some or all of the people in the group.

Note: Subsection (1) makes certain acts unlawful. Section 46P of the Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986 allows people to make complaints to the Australian Human Rights Commission about unlawful acts. However, an unlawful act is not necessarily a criminal offence. Section 26 says that this Act does not make it an offence to do an act that is unlawful because of this Part, unless Part IV expressly says that the act is an offence.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), an act is taken not to be done in private if it:

(a) causes words, sounds, images or writing to be communicated to the public; or

(b) is done in a public place; or

(c) is done in the sight or hearing of people who are in a public place.

(3) In this section:

Because we need to schedule the daily 7:30pm series "Don't Trust the Browny".

http://thesnipertakesaim.wordpress.com/2013/03/02/ipa-agenda-to-re-shape-australia/

I can't tell if this is tinfoil hat territory or real.

Indeed it is. Quite grimey.

I'm pretty sure that's tinfoil hat. The LNP are conservatives not giggling villains. I can believe that there are members of the party would like to do each of those things. I do not believe that they would commit to that entire list immediately after getting elected, let alone in writing, let alone anywhere that the press could get a hold off. And they've already committed 1 and 43 and 44 would make them very popular with the conservative state governments so I can see it happening.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm pretty sure that's tinfoil hat. The LNP are conservatives not giggling villains. I can believe that there are members of the party would like to do each of those things. I do not believe that they would commit to that entire list immediately after getting elected, let alone in writing, anywhere that the press could get a hold off.

"Repeal Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act" is kind of a give away that it's all a bit crazy.

"Repeal Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act" is kind of a give away that it's all a bit crazy.

Section 42 c) isn't exactly likely either.

The BOAT PEOPLE are taking our jerbz and this section do not go well together.

ETA - Oh god. 42) is Gina Rinehardt's pet project. That explains a lot. Slave Labor from Foreigners for all Mines working for $2.50 an hour.

No, that's the one section where there are legitimate arguments for it. TLDR, the way it's written makes things too subjective. A similar law in the UK saw a man arrested for performing Kung Fu Fighting at a pub, when a Chinese man walking past the venue said he felt racially abused by the song. Actual hate speech would be better dealt with by preexisting common law protections for cases of intimidation and harassment, with an increased penalty for it being racially motivated.

Having said that, Abbott isn't using any of those arguments to justify why he wants that law repealed. It's pretty clear that rather than having actual concerns about free speech issues, he simply wants to protect his mate Andrew Bolt (who most certainly should be charged under those aforementioned intimidation and harassment laws) from prosecution.

No, that's the one section where there are legitimate arguments for it. TLDR, the way it's written makes things too subjective. A similar law in the UK saw a man arrested for performing Kung Fu Fighting at a pub, when a Chinese man walking past the venue said he felt racially abused by the song. Actual hate speech would be better dealt with by preexisting common law protections for cases of intimidation and harassment, with an increased penalty for it being racially motivated.

Having said that, Abbott isn't using any of those arguments to justify why he wants that law repealed. It's pretty clear that rather than having actual concerns about free speech issues, he simply wants to protect his mate Andrew Bolt (who most certainly should be charged under those aforementioned intimidation and harassment laws) from prosecution.

Welp, Just went and looked through the entire 100 item list. Some of them make sense. Many of them are blatant concessions to large (international) corporations at the expense of the public. A few of them are just your standard climate change "skepticism" outright whackery. Wouldn't seem out of place from a libertarian think tank funded by the Koch brothers basically, at least there's no blatant theocratic pandering.

Nope. From a brief glance they polled pretty well for a brand new minor party (which is still tiny compared to the majors) but not well enough to get a senator anywhere.

For those who weren't following the other thread, I was one of the Pirate Party Senate candidates in Queensland.

Given the limited amount of resources with which we had to campaign, we were quite happy with our showing this election. We had quite an outpouring of support on Twitter on election day (to the point where #votepirate was trending just below sausage for most of the day), and it's safe to say that there's a lot more awareness now about who we are and what we stand for. Should put us in a much better position when the next election rolls around, and with any luck we'll have a much bigger campaign warchest to spend on advertising by then.

Mononoke

Banned
So how does something like this happen? Wasn't the overall vote last time a clear majority for the liberal candidate? So how was there such a reversal in numbers? Was the current PM that bad? Did less people come out to vote this time?

So how does something like this happen? Wasn't the overall vote last time a clear majority for the liberal candidate? So how was there such a reversal in numbers? Was the current PM that bad? Did less people come out to vote this time?
Tony Abbott is the Liberal candidate. The Liberal Party is a conservative party.

Last election was so close that none of the major parties was able to form a government in their own right, so they had to make deals with independents. That result (and this one too) came about because the party in power deposed their own leader mid-term and people were generally pissed about it.

Mononoke

Banned
Tony Abbott is the Liberal candidate. The Liberal Party is a conservative party.

Last election was so close that none of the major parties was able to form a government in their own right, so they had to make deals with independents. That result (and this one too) came about because the party in power deposed their own leader mid-term and people were generally pissed about it.

Wow I'm completely out of touch with the Aus political system. My apologies. Thanks for the response.

BTj-RmlCMAAZnq1.jpg:large

Dead Man

I'm pretty sure that's tinfoil hat. The LNP are conservatives not giggling villains. I can believe that there are members of the party would like to do each of those things. I do not believe that they would commit to that entire list immediately after getting elected, let alone in writing, let alone anywhere that the press could get a hold off. And they've already committed 1 and 43 and 44 would make them very popular with the conservative state governments so I can see it happening.

Good.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Well after day 1 the country is still ticking along nicely, i think the doomsday for Australia is a long way off.
You're either fully aware of the irony of this and are committing to an ok troll job or... something less charitable.

r1chard

For those who weren't following the other thread, I was one of the Pirate Party Senate candidates in Queensland.

Given the limited amount of resources with which we had to campaign, we were quite happy with our showing this election. We had quite an outpouring of support on Twitter on election day (to the point where #votepirate was trending just below sausage for most of the day), and it's safe to say that there's a lot more awareness now about who we are and what we stand for. Should put us in a much better position when the next election rolls around, and with any luck we'll have a much bigger campaign warchest to spend on advertising by then.

You've got a long way to go though. Even people I consider reasonably well-informed thought you were a joke party.

Well after day 1 the country is still ticking along nicely, i think the doomsday for Australia is a long way off.

Obvious troll outs himself as obvious.

You've got a long way to go though. Even people I consider reasonably well-informed thought you were a joke party.

Indeed we do. Still, we all have to start somewhere. In terms of votes per dollar spent campaigning, we probably score higher than any political party other than the Lib Dems (and they only got their abnormally high vote from people mixing them up with the Liberals). We've gotten a lot more members over the past few days, and a lot of interest from people googling us after they got home from voting, so we've got a good base to build off for a much bigger campaign next election.

wonzo

Banned
I'd put $50 on mining companies doing nothing of the sort, if the mining tax is revoked, aside from pocketing the increased profits.

You'd lose that bet. There is a strong pipeline of projects that have been put on hold until after the election. I know, because I've been trying desperately for the last year or so to get companies to start spending money and hiring again.

It's abolition will make roughly no difference to any of the mining companies. The downturn in the mining industry has considerably more to do with reduced demand from Asia than the Carbon Tax and Mining Tax combined.

In financial terms? Not much difference because nobody is paying anything. The real difference it will make, is the certainty that it will not be "fixed" and made worse for them. That is what the industry has been waiting for.

Dead Man

You'd lose that bet. There is a strong pipeline of projects that have been put on hold until after the election. I know, because I've been trying desperately for the last year or so to get companies to start spending money and hiring again.

In financial terms? Not much difference because nobody is paying anything. The real difference it will make, is the certainty that it will not be "fixed" and made worse for them. That is what the industry has been waiting for.

Mining tax or no, they will move forward with those things eventually.

Mining tax or no, they will move forward with those things eventually.

Eventually yes, but the actual timeframe is pretty important and by no means assured. Major mining companies compare projects on a global scale and something being held back could mean years.

In the meantime local companies that provide services to mining often have no such diversity of options. I'm sure many here have no love for such companies or mining in general, but it is a big issue for those involved.

Dead Man

Eventually yes, but the actual timeframe is pretty important and by no means assured. Major mining companies compare projects on a global scale and something being held back could mean years.

In the meantime local companies that provide services to mining often have no such diversity of options. I'm sure many here have no love for such companies or mining in general, but it is a big issue for those involved.

Yeah, it is, it is also a big issue for every Australian. A proper mining tax, left in place would give them just as much certaintity. It is the nature of democracies that taxes will change.

Yeah, it is, it is also a big issue for every Australian. A proper mining tax, left in place would give them just as much certaintity. It is the nature of democracies that taxes will change.

In theory yes. In practice no, because you have the variable of the Greens party actively working against the interests of the mining companies.

Remember I'm not addressing the rights or wrongs of that, simply the reality of the situation that the election result will result in more spending in the industry.

wonzo

Banned
That one's actually correct as is p. much everything else listed there.

Crikey said:
4. Repeal section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act

Yesterday, The Australian duly reported Abbott will legislate to roll back Labor legislation that bans offence on the grounds of race and ethnicity and George Brandis said the Human Rights Commission Act may need to be amended to “guarantee freedom”. The changes were first mooted by Abbott in August 2012 in a speech to the IPA after he dined with popular News Corporation polemicist Andrew Bolt. Bolt was had been found guilty of racial discrimination by the Federal Court.

Fredescu

Other industries have put off spending until after the election. I doubt it's just the mining tax. "Legislative risk" is a big deal to any business.

WowBaby

As an American who suffered through eight long, long years of Bush, I offer my condolences to the Australian community. Thankfully that was all over a few years ago, although we are still cleaning up Bush's droppings off the kitchen counter.

Dead Man

In theory yes. In practice no, because you have the variable of the Greens party actively working against the interests of the mining companies.

Remember I'm not addressing the rights or wrongs of that, simply the reality of the situation that the election result will result in more spending in the industry.

Didn't think you were, but I also think accepting it just because copmanies say so is the wrong approach. Investment at all costs is not the right way to go.

seldead

As much as I dislike the LNP and Tony Abbott, I don't think the international comparisons to George Bush are correct. Their policy is more liberal (with a little l) than most of the Democratic Party's in the States so I don't think we need to worry about a 2001-2009 USA situ.

Also I'm lolling at the senate situation, come next July things are going to be retarded.

Yagharek

Yeah, I'm obviously a more left-leaning voter than the Liberal party's target audience, but I don't begrudge them their electoral win. It was on the cards a long time ago.

I do call foul play on the senate results though. That is plainly unrepresentative. There should be a couple more Greens, Labor, Lib/Nat senators in each of a few states, along with a couple of Pups.

The LDP/AME/Sports parties are electoral frauds, and truly unrepresentative.

"democracy" my fucking arse.

Fredescu

Abbott was quoted this morning as wanting to do something about the senate voting system. I hope he follows through.

r1chard

The ALP have been engineering their own demise for the last 3 years.

And it looks like they still don't have a clue, if the rumours floating around are to be believed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom