• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservatives defend Mike Pence not interacting with women cause they might have sex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I would say the difference between a law that has enforcement and punishment behind it by other people and a person's personal choices in their relationship with their wife are differences in kind but

Then you don't understand my point. It's the same backward mindset, already explained by very intelligent people in this thread, oh, dozens of times.

digdug2k

It seems like a counter-productive thing to attack Pence for this, because this only affects his life, whereas his political actions have already brought a lot of harm and imposed greatly on other people's personal lives. It also plays into the narrative of liberals being out of touch or unreasonable (even though this way of thinking can be interpreted to have sexist overtones).
If he can't interact with half of the people he "represents", it's not just a personal problem.

Tonedeff

If he can't interact with half of the people he "represents", it's not just a personal problem.
Y'all keep saying this. Is there proof something like this occurred, where, in a professional position, he refused to meet with a woman, also in a professional position, because of these rules of his? I ask sincerely, I haven't read the entirety of the thread.

Y'all keep saying this. Is there proof something like this occurred, where, in a professional position, he refused to meet with a woman, also in a professional position, because of these rules of his? I ask sincerely, I haven't read the entirety of the thread.

He orchestrated stripping Glenda Ritz of all power after she won election to statewide office in IN.

digdug2k

You're just going to move goal posts. Any lunch with any woman helps him understand their lives and problems better. Heck, I think you could argue that, given his already demonstrated complete lack of understanding or empathy for woman's or LGBT issues, the man needs personal relationships with those groups, not professional ones.

Tonedeff

You're just going to move goal posts. Any lunch with any woman helps him understand their lives and problems better. Heck, I think you could argue that, given his already demonstrated complete lack of understanding or empathy for woman's or LGBT issues, the man needs personal relationships with those groups, not professional ones.

I'm not moving any goalposts. Have these personal rules of his affected his professional life or not?

erawsd

Seems to me the veep and his wife are seriously committed to each other. If these are the rules they've set out for their marriage, and it works for them, more power to them I say.

Yeah, I agree. I also dont think its really all that odd. Honestly, I cant think of many couples, married or otherwise, that are totally ok with their other half having dinner with the opposite sex. I do agree that its kind of dumb but temptation and jealousy are powerful emotions and I cant really fault people for not wanting to put themselves in a vulnerable situation.

Yeah, I agree. I also dont think its really all that odd. Honestly, I cant think of many couples, married or otherwise, that are totally ok with their other half having dinner with the opposite sex. I do agree that its kind of dumb but temptation and jealousy are powerful emotions and I cant really fault people for not wanting to put themselves in a vulnerable situation.

Fair enough, but I do find it very self serving to essentially advertise it for everyone on display as if everyone wanted to know in the first place. Alot of people abstain from activities by taking preemptive steps. But they usually keep it to themselves. I'm sure that there are people who avoid one on one situations for the very same reasons that Pence does, but again, they usually keep it to themselves. With Pence, it all comes across as another exercise in bluster and performance rather than actual morality at play.

I admit, I'm not as plugged into the more discriminatory implications of Pence's display as some in this thread, but I see this as being no different than what evangelicals carry on about when it relates to prayer. It's not enough for them to pray in their own privacy on their own time. They demand that public school grounds become ground zero for asserting their morality for all to see.

PKrockin

Sounds like this would be an obstacle to his career. I imagine politicians meet privately one-on-one a lot, especially when discussing sensitive matters, like national security perhaps.

Brakke

Banned
Sounds like this would be an obstacle to his career. I imagine politicians meet privately one-on-one a lot, especially when discussing sensitive matters, like national security perhaps.

You didn't see a picture of congress lately? Only about 20% of either house is women.

PKrockin

You didn't see a picture of congress lately? Only about 20% of either house is women.
I'm aware women are still very underrepresented in congress. If he can't meet with 20% of them privately because he/his wife can't trust him/self to fuck the first woman he sees, that still seems to me like that would be a problem.

I guess he's just drawing an arbitrary line at only specifically meeting women alone with food involved, and demanding a cookie for it, so whatever.

At any rate, I look forward to the day the news breaks that he's involved in gay orgies.

Then you don't understand my point. It's the same backward mindset, already explained by very intelligent people in this thread, oh, dozens of times.

So you're not allowed to have what you consider a backwards or incorrect mindset in your personal relationship with your spouse?

Or are you allowed to have whatever relationship with your spouse that the both of you prefer and are happy with?

Because the quote was about his relationship with his wife. Nothing about it implied that he won't hold meetings with women or that he doesn't interact with them on a professional level. Maybe there's examples of that but I haven't seen them being given.

This is pretty common in some of my social circles, and it's not a practice that's limited to men.

From my perspective it's a fear-based behavior that tries to eliminate / limit either the appearance of impropriety to remain above reproach, or the possibility of actual infidelity by avoiding certain contexts they believe are conducive to starting down that path. In either case it's *not* how I would approach it (despite the fact that I wholeheartedly affirm fidelity to your spouse and that we should guard against unhealthy circumstances), but I can't find much fault with it as a personal practice.

When it goes beyond that to judging others by whether they do the same thing or not -- that's when it's beyond what's reasonable for me.

Regardless, there are much bigger things to criticize this VP about.

Kaleinc

Banned
I have spent countless amount of time with wives and women who are in relationships with other people and somehow managed to not have sex with them. It was like going over trenches into the no man's land. Where is my goddamned medal?
You get the medal right after becoming VP.

Linkup

Suppress your sex drive? Sure, but while a person is buzzed? I know the man is an easy target and really shouldn't have taken such a position considering it's a cultural norms to mix and meet for dinner with other politicians. I'm just not sure the defense that alcohol, another women, and dinner are the best mix to keep your marriage protected is so unreasonable.

OP framed the discussion with a dishonest slant.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Tbh considering some of the reactions I see here in every relationship-advice thread, I wouldn't be surprised if many gaffers agreed with this. How many times have I seen people tell OP their partner was obviously cheating on them if they went on vacation with a friend or went out for a smoke with someone else.

I was trying to articulate why I felt the responses on the first page were a bit harsh, and this one pretty much covered it.

I think I've rolled my eyes at a lot of "she found new dick" posts over the years.

So they're basically Muslim extremists now?

What a bunch of fucking hypocrites.

Fundamentalist Christians always were

Suppress your sex drive? Sure, but while a person is buzzed? I know the man is an easy target and really shouldn't have taken such a position considering it's a cultural norms to mix and meet for dinner with other politicians. I'm just not sure the defense that alcohol, another women, and dinner are the best mix to keep your marriage protected is so unreasonable.

OP framed the discussion with a dishonest slant.

The thing that you're forgetting in your equation is that other woman. No matter how drunk Pence can get, he isn't automatically going to have sex with a woman who's not his wife simply because of her presence. A woman has her own agency. Pence can have a sexual drive as unruly as a rodeo bull but women have their own agency. He's not going to be desirable for everyone woman and the idea that sex is somehow likely to occur if he's in the vicinity of one, buzzed or not, is ludicrous.

digdug2k

It's somewhat strange that more people are angry at this than say, Bill Clinton's actual philandering.
Bill Clinton was impeached for his filandering. If you think this is anywhere near what he went through you're nuts. I can't believe people in here are arguing that it's ok for the vice president to discriminate against female staffers because he's afraid he might rape them because "at least he's aware of his own weeknesses.

This is so strange.

Does this dude think he is Don Draper or something?

He makes them panties drop, mayne..can't control it.

tgx8oo3_zps5c3058c3.gif~c200

Lyn

Banned
Bill Clinton was impeached for his filandering. If you think this is anywhere near what he went through you're nuts. I can't believe people in here are arguing that it's ok for the vice president to discriminate against female staffers because he's afraid he might rape them because "at least he's aware of his own weeknesses.

So we've gone from this being a questionable policy he follows based on his religion to him being a potential rapist? Also, how does this line up when the original Hill article (from the snippets I've seen) have him also saying he often refuses drinks with male colleagues so as not to end up in uncertain/questionable situations?

Sorry, I get that people find this policy absurd, but suggesting he is a potential rapist because he wont eat alone with a woman besides his wife is equally silly.

FoxSpirit

It's not a matter of his personal life. He's the vice fucking president. To think that he's going to deny a meal with any female members of his team, or with any female politicians or business leaders, is absurd and something worth talking about. It's LITERALLY not allowing women a seat at the table.
Well, while I agree with the "his choice"side, I also agree that this makes him unfit to be vice president.

Dinner for two with Merkel? Too hot for this recovering sex addict 😂

IISANDERII

So we've gone from this being a questionable policy he follows based on his religion to him being a potential rapist? Also, how does this line up when the original Hill article (from the snippets I've seen) have him also saying he often refuses drinks with male colleagues so as not to end up in uncertain/questionable situations?

Sorry, I get that people find this policy absurd, but suggesting he is a potential rapist because he wont eat alone with a woman besides his wife is equally silly.
Him being a potential rapist is in line with the argument they're presenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom