• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservatives defend Mike Pence not interacting with women cause they might have sex

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKRMA

Banned
So I am a male employee.

My boss is a female along with majority of my team.

We end up working late hours to make sure we meet some deadlines. It turns out, I'm the only male who had to stay late to get the deadline done.

At this point with this pretense as I am married man, I am allowed to go to HR and say they made me stay late to tempt me to sex and refuse to get my work done for the company that is graciously paying overtime for my under that pretense?

Will I be able to keep my job the next day if the genders were reversed? Hmmmmmm....

Cindro

I care way more about giving women a seat at the table, LITERALLY, when it comes to discussions about possible policy with the Vice President than I care about Mike Pence preserving his marriage!

If he can't fucking control himself long enough to listen to 50% of the country's population then he needs to get the hell out of government.

He needs to get the hell out of government anyway, but boy. So tired of these apologists.
To be honest, that's a fair rebuttal. I had only considered it in the context of "I'm so damn sick of cheaters that I'll automatically applaud anyone who takes steps to prevent it," not in the context of "He's a public servant elected to interact with and help people of all sexes and backgrounds."

In terms of priorities, yeah... Pence's marriage is in a far distant second when put against the idea of a fully inclusive government.

I'm sorry I didn't think both sides through before spouting my mouth - sometimes I let anger toward injustices (in this case, cheating) get the best of me.

ryseing

Read what you wrote.

Infatuations can also start just by looking at someone too. Does that mean Pence should avert his eyes when he sees someone of the opposite sex? Or maybe we should just have women cover up from head to toe so that Pence isn't tempted?

No lie, my evangelical Christian HS did a whole sermon in chapel about how looking twice at a woman is a horrible sin. Not staring or whatever, because that would be somewhat understandable. Just walking by a woman, and then looking back. Some of the most bizarre shit I heard there, and this was a place where there was a dude who gave a testimony about doing an exorcism on a golf course.

Derwind

To be honest, that's a fair rebuttal. I had only considered it in the context of "I'm so damn sick of cheaters that I'll automatically applaud anyone who takes steps to prevent it," not in the context of "He's a public servant elected to interact with and help people of all sexes and backgrounds."

In terms of priorities, yeah... Pence's marriage is in a far distant second when put against the idea of a fully inclusive government.

I'm sorry I didn't think both sides through before spouting my mouth - sometimes I let anger toward injustices (in this case, cheating) get the best of me.

You're right about cheating, it's absolutely fucking awful and those that do are scum.

But ultimately I see it as a culture of sexual repression & dominance and to break that I think it's important that we as human beings can function responsibly around each other without being subject to our impulse all the damn time.

If we can't function normally around others, its at that point we need to seek professional help.

J9QoGMB.png

ummm... they're hungry?**

**for HOT SEXY TIME!!!!!!

kewlmyc

I wouldn't call not wanting to be alone with women out of fear you won't be able to hold yourself back from having sex with them "decent". It sounds pretty fucked up actually.

The "decent" reason being because it's against his religious beliefs. The actual religious reason as to why that belief exists is dated and fucked up, not arguing that.

Derwind

I know what? I never thought of it that way. I was pretty upset last week when a US air strike killed around 200 civilians in Mosul, but now my new thing I am upset about is who Mike Pence dines alone with. I am fuming

Hey, look at this binary thinker over. It's like this whole multitasking craze was just something ordinary people do all the time.

Aeana

You know what? I never thought of it that way. I was pretty upset last week when a US air strike killed around 200 civilians in Mosul, but now my new thing I am upset about is who Mike Pence dines alone with. I am fuming

I'm sorry that you are only capable of thinking about one thing at a time. Life must be very difficult for you.
Apologies in advance that this post will also distract you from being upset about the US air strike.

KRod-57

Banned
Hey, look at this binary thinker over. It's like this whole multitasking craze was just something ordinary people do all the time.
I'm sorry that you are only capable of thinking about one thing at a time. Life must be very difficult for you.
Apologies in advance that this post will also distract you from being upset about the US air strike.

I'm not saying I am exclusively upset at one or the other, I am saying last week's big scandal was the 200 civilians who were blown to pieces, this week it is the information about who Mike Pence chooses to dine alone with. If you're not upset about this you are an obvious toll. This is a big issue that calls for swift decisive action. I'm thinking about staging a protest in front of the White House, who's with me?

edit:

Writing a petition calling for Pence's resignation now. He's gone too far this time

Derwind

I'm not saying I am exclusively upset at one or the other, I am saying last week's big scandal was the 200 civilians who were blown to pieces, this week it is the information about who Mike Pence chooses to dine alone with

]If you're not upset about this you are an obvious toll. This is a big issue that calls for swift decisive action. I'm thinking about staging a protest in front of the White House, who's with me?

I'm upset my people, my family in Somalia are threatened because this freak of VP and his half flushed giant orange turd of President have just declared to effectively ramp up the killing of civilians in Somalia for the sake of combating "global, foriegn turrism" without considering the fucking impact of declaring a slowly recovering nation as a War Zone.

But I'm not on here berating people why they aren't debating that in this thread about the sexist behaviour of Pence which has an effect on the women around him if he can't trust himself alone in a professional setting with them.

The only one trolling this thread is you.

.JayZii

Banned
Don't blame Conservatives for the fact that they're so fuckable. It's a curse, not a gift.
This is a thing. My religious brother in law said he won't get in an elevator or similarly small space with a woman who isn't his wife (if it's just the two of them).
Is he Muslim, or does he hate Muslims? It's hard to tell sometimes.

I'm not saying I am exclusively upset at one or the other, I am saying last week's big scandal was the 200 civilians who were blown to pieces, this week it is the information about who Mike Pence chooses to dine alone with. If you're not upset about this you are an obvious toll. This is a big issue that calls for swift decisive action. I'm thinking about staging a protest in front of the White House, who's with me?

edit:

Writing a petition calling for Pence's resignation now. He's gone too far this time

Not-impressed-reaction-gif.gif

Brakke

Banned

edit:

What are you even talking about. Who do you think you're even lampooning with this limp characature?

KRod-57

Banned
I'm upset my people, my family in Somalia are threatened because this freak of VP and his half flushed giant orange turd of President have just declared to effectively ramp up the killing of civilians in Somalia for the sake of combating "global, foriegn turrism" without considering the fucking impact of declaring a slowly recovering nation as a War Zone.

But I'm not on here berating people why they aren't debating that in this thread about the sexist behaviour of Pence which has an effect on the women around him if he can't trust himself alone in a professional setting with them.

The only one trolling this thread is you.

No I am totally with you guys now. At first I didn't consider this to be an issue compared to every other real life political issues that goes on in this country and around the world, but now I see the consequences of Mike Pence's actions of not dining alone with people. Mike Pence has no right to refuse dining with any of us, we're entitled to a meal alone with Mike Pence, whether he wants to or not.

Yes, all this is sarcasm. I don't care who Mike Pence dines alone with. I would consider any news outlet reporting on this to be a waste of air time. It's not an issue.. there's is plenty to be upset about with this administration(I gave an example from this past week), but this "news" story is not one of them.

I like how conservatives are once again basically saying that men are incapable of self control and that they only see women as sexual objects.

Derwind

No I am totally with you guys now. At first I didn't consider this to be an issue compared to every other real life political issues that goes on in this country and around the world, but now I see the consequences of Mike Pence's actions of not dining alone with people. Mike Pence has no right to refuse dining with any of us, we're entitled to a meal alone with Mike Pence, whether he wants to or not.

Yes, all this is sarcasm. I don't care who Mike Pence dines alone with. I would consider any news outlet reporting on this to be a waste of air time. It's not an issue.. there's is plenty to be upset about with this administration, but this "news" story is not one of them.

You want to keep digging that hole you've found yourself in fine. Take that shovel and keep on digging.

I however am done entertaining you.

So I am a male employee.

My boss is a female along with majority of my team.

We end up working late hours to make sure we meet some deadlines. It turns out, I'm the only male who had to stay late to get the deadline done.

At this point with this pretense as I am married man, I am allowed to go to HR and say they made me stay late to tempt me to sex and refuse to get my work done for the company that is graciously paying overtime for my under that pretense?

Will I be able to keep my job the next day if the genders were reversed? Hmmmmmm....
That's prostitution, is it not?

What's funny about all this is if you actually read the Washington Post article:

In 2002, Mike Pence told the Hill that he never eats alone with a woman other than his wife and that he won’t attend events featuring alcohol without her by his side, either.

This was 15 years ago. Maybe they still do things the same way now, but their lives have changed pretty significantly. And to assume this quote about their relationship given 15 years ago affects how he handles meetings or diplomatic affairs now as VP is a big leap in logic.

It seems like they are pretty inseperable though in general but Washington Post is really reaching for some viral outrage by highlighting that of all things from this profile.

If there was a quote from a woman in government who was refused a meeting or event then there would be cause for concern but I would think most of the concern in this thread and online stems from other issues people have with the VP and not his dinner guest preferences.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Isn't there a "can women and men ever be just friends" thread every few months or so? A lot of people have trouble with things like this. It ain't about rape or lack of consent but more on inability to control themselves when there IS consent. I can understand not wanting to go to clubs or bars alone where there is a chance they could get hit on and have trouble resisting it

Now him saying that he can't even have business dinners or work with other women.....well that's just insanity. Especially from the vice fucking president

Just because emotionally immature people start threads like that, it doesn't follow that the premise of such threads is valid. It's not.

KRod-57

Banned
What's funny about all this is if you actually read the Washington Post article:

This was 15 years ago. Maybe they still do things the same way now, but their lives have changed pretty significantly. And to assume this quote about their relationship given 15 years ago affects how he handles meetings or diplomatic affairs now as VP is a big leap in logic.

It seems like they are pretty inseperable though in general but Washington Post is really reaching for some viral outrage by highlighting that of all things from this profile.

If there was a quote from a woman in government who was refused a meeting or event then there would be cause for concern but I would think most of the concern in this thread and online stems from other issues people have with the VP and not his dinner guest preferences.

If I am being totally honest, it sounds like him and his wife have trust issues.. but I'm just sitting here wondering why should I care if their marriage has trust issues, and why are people here upset with me when I say I don't care?

Meanwhile the thread on the 200 civilians killed in Mosul this week gets less than half the traffic than this thread about an interview Mike Pence gave 15 years ago

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1355125&page=4

I'm done with people here...

If I am being totally honest, it sounds like him and his wife have trust issues.. but I'm just sitting here wondering why should I care if their marriage has trust issues, and why are people here upset with me when I say I don't care?

Meanwhile the thread on the 200 civilians killed in Mosul this week gets less than half the traffic than this thread about an interview Mike Pence gave 15 years ago

I can only speak for myself, but I get upset when people are dismissive about this issue. It normalizes sexist behavior that has been used in the past to keep women away from the same opportunities and influence that their male peers have.

If any person in power or leadership is willing to have one on one private meetings or dinner meetings with a man but not a woman, that's a problem. If women aren't allowed to be alone with their boss but men are, that's a problem. If male co-workers can go out for a drink and bond but a female can't join, that's a problem.

coopolon

I have a co-worker whose boss asked her not to go to a conference he was going to because his wife was uncomfortable with him spending time alone with her (to be clear, she never had anything other than a strictly professional relationship with him).

In our field conferences are where you network and present your results and get recognition from community. So he was literally saying your career has to suffer because your a woman and my wife doesn't trust me or something.

She was very offended and demanded she be allowed to go and did go, but how ridiculous! This actually hurts women's careers if powerful men like Pence will have close relationships with men but not women.

Carcetti

I'm done with people here...

I'm sorry you're not intelligent enough to understand it's not just about Mike Pence but about the impact of wider sexist policies and attitudes like this that effectively prevent women from working effectively while promoting 'the good ole' boys club' networks.

In the meanwhile, the amount of posts on any given topic on a videogame discussion board is not an interesting metric on anything.

Or alternatively, just keep ignoring any issues that touch on women in western countries because there's hunger and war in the world.

Edit: sigh. Came off probably needlessly hostile, sorry about that, but this dismissive attitude about actual issues is extremely annoying.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
As someone who despises cheaters almost as much as I despise the Trump administration, a man who is willing to crush temptations before they even have a chance to form is damn commendable. How many affairs would be averted if every married person took this approach?

Pretty disgusting that some of you are warping the ideal of cherishing your wife above all else into a negative.

Funny that. I can cherish my wife and interact with other women without having sex with them. Maybe American women need to wear some sort of christian burqa so as to not provoke/incite/arouse us men?

Brakke

Banned

Traffic on the video game forum NeoGAF dot com isn't really indicative of anything tho. If you're going to protest or call your representatives or organize around those killed civilians, you're not going to do that here. When I'm thinking about serious news, I'm usually reading multiple sources and then discussing it with friends I know and respect, not with some fourteen year old gamers.

There's nothing really to discuss there: killing civilians is bad. That's obvious to most people. Casual sexism, as you're very helpfully demonstrating, isn't obviously a problem to a lot of people. But those people are wrong, so it's worth talking about it.

TheJLC

I agree with Pence. Same reason I can't talk to women alone, they always drop their panties right then and there.

I can confirm the "it is impossible to be friends with a woman without wanting them" was part of my Christian education growing up. Combine that sort of mentality with the hypermasculinity culture and it's sad to speculate how many socially incompetent boys turned into raging alt right lunatics :(

Better a man who knows and observes his own limitations and shows respect for his wife (even if it's over the top) than an orange twat who walks in on teenagers getting dressed and grabs them by the pussy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom