• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

The ability to transfer to a USB, is that possible yet? I wanna wait till then to post some screens.

Also, I have realized that the majority of the screens I have taken are not going to be good because of the 'screenshot taken' icon is in a lot of them :(

That's not possible yet.
You can use this workaround though: :)

The hawk-eyed folk over at Reddit have been at it again, with one of its users finding an ingenious way of bypassing the PlayStation 4's current uploading policy to download uncompressed screenshots from game folders.

As it stands, users are only able to upload their ‘Share’ screenshots in heavily compressed formats to Facebook and Twitter, with no direct way of downloading onto flash drives or any other system – until now. User blade85 has divulged a simple step-by-step method for alleviating one of the PS4’s minor issues.

- Have a second account at the ready, or a friend’s PSN.
- Send a message with your desired screenshot attached via the PS4 messaging service to the account.
- Download the PlayStation App for your phone.
- Open up the application, log into your PSN, and check out the message that you sent.
- Open the attachment on your phone.
- Now you can save the full-resolution screenshot to your memory and use in whatever capacity you wish.

Thanks to Reddit users blade85 and IceBreak for this clever workaround. Let us know if you plan to use this technique in the comments.
http://www.psu.com/a022711/User-fin...loading-fully-uncompressed-PS4-share-captures

As for you getting the "screenshot taken" icon.
Unless you've changed your Share options, you can just press the share button and it'll take a screen and take you into the Share menu where you can view your screens and videos, and upload them to Twitter or Facebook. You don't have to hold the share button until you get the icon on screen, and you don't have to wait for any icon to disappear.

TL;DR: Just pressing the share button is a lot quicker, and it's easier to take a screen of what you actually want to capture.

Bishop89

TL;DR: Just pressing the share button is a lot quicker, and it's easier to take a screen of what you actually want to capture.

I have it set as this, however at times I spam the button as there are scenes straight after another which I want to take as well, but that stupid icon is there! lol

What are these results?

I removed the part of my post about fotoforensics, because I really don't know anything about it. I just saw that some of the photos in this thread gave off a lot more information than photos that were uploaded directly to twitter/facebook, or to image hosts using the workaround. I realise that doesn't necessarily mean that they've been enhanced in PS.

Pic uploaded directly to twitter:

JPEG %
JPEG last saved at 75% quality (JPEG Standard)

Metadata
File
File Type JPEG
MIME Type image/jpeg
Image Width 1920
Image Height 1080
Encoding Process Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
Bits Per Sample 8
Color Components 3
Y Cb Cr Sub Sampling YCbCr4:2:0 (2 2)

JFIF
JFIF Version 1.01
Resolution Unit None
X Resolution 1
Y Resolution 1

Composite
Image Size 1920x1080

Pic uploaded using the 'send a friend a screen' workaround

JPEG %
JPEG last saved at 100% quality (JPEG Standard)

Metadata

File
File Type JPEG
MIME Type image/jpeg
Image Width 1920
Image Height 1080
Encoding Process Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
Bits Per Sample 8
Color Components 3
Y Cb Cr Sub Sampling YCbCr4:2:0 (2 2)

JFIF
JFIF Version 1.01
Resolution Unit None
X Resolution 1
Y Resolution 1

Composite
Image Size 1920x1080

A pic from this thread

JPEG %
Not a JPEG (100% quality)

Metadata

File
File Type PNG
MIME Type image/png

PNG
Image Width 1920
Image Height 1080
Bit Depth 8
Color Type RGB with Alpha
Compression Deflate/Inflate
Filter Adaptive
Interlace Noninterlaced
SRGB Rendering Perceptual
Gamma 2.2
Pixels Per Unit X 3779
Pixels Per Unit Y 3779
Pixel Units Meters

Composite
Image Size 1920x1080

I removed the part of my post about fotoforensics, because I really don't know anything about it. I just saw that some of the photos in this thread gave off a lot more information than photos that were uploaded directly to twitter/facebook, or to image hosts using the workaround. I realise that doesn't necessarily mean that they've been enhanced in PS.

It's called people capturing higher quality shots through a hdmi capture card :)

Stillmatic

crop22h4a2i.jpg

crop173az13.jpg

crop24ndx1c.jpg

Gurish

Second Son:

id3zotZjPcyoi.jpg

Fuck it has exactly the same fidelity as in cut scenes, it's pretty rare to see this in games.

In Mgs:gz for example the in game model doesn't look as good as in cut scenes, in Infamous it's 1 to 1 and for an open world game to have such models is incredible!

Mr Moose

Some people use capture devices which save as PNG files (myself included, I use an Elgato Game Capture HD).

Timu

Guess that would explain it :)
Except from the ones where it says under metadata that PS has been used. But it could just be that the screen has been convert from jpeg to PNG or something.
I use a capture card and do every pic as a PNG with my Avermedia software, one main reason is that I don't like using PS4's share as it has no PNG support and I don't like using JPEGs since I don't trust them, loseless>lossy every time.

For as great as some of the lighting effects in the game look, some of it is downright embarrassing. Like zero shadowing for the character standing in front of lights.

I think 'embarrassing' is exaggerating just a bit...

It's pretty clear that given how some objects don't cast shadows or have real time reflections, that it's all part of how the engine works and has been tweaked to keep a balance between great visuals and smooth frame rate.

chadboban

I'm in the market to get a new phone soon ,finally getting rid of my old sony ericsson that I've had for the past 5 years (doesn't have a touchscreen, uses buttons and no that doesn't include a keyboard, real old school shit right there, lol). Wouldn't mind using some of these as screensavers.

As a matter of fact I may just do this with some other screens in this thread and perhaps even some of my own. Thanks you and the others using cropped shots for giving me the idea :)

shinnn

lol would love to see a FM4 shot that remotely resemble that picture

the stealth troll that comes in every XB1 pic in this thread is amazing.

Albo

Are there spoilers allowed in this thread? I'm pretty sure I've had the two secret powers in infamous spoiled the last few pages without warning plus a neat surprise in SM3DW which would've been awesome to experience myself? Just asking so I can avoid in the future.

More pikmin 3

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01qlj5r.jpg

( 2nd pic-boss spoiler)

Other than that it does look good though - but yeah that's worse than I expected.

honestly the aliasing matched with the glossy paint textures just make for an extremely large detractor from decent looking models. Let's not get started on the backdrops/crowds, they could have done MUCH better IMO. (yes the hyperbole's comparing it to FM4 are ridiculous but this game does have some serious issues in terms of clean IQ.)

Are there spoilers allowed in this thread? I'm pretty sure I've had the two secret powers in infamous spoiled the last few pages without warning plus a neat surprise in SM3DW which would've been awesome to experience myself? Just asking so I can avoid in the future.

You ask about spoilers whilst posting one yourself...
(a text warning shouldn't be allowed, i'm almost certain people scan through this thread for the pictures)
Pikmin 3 looks gorgeous, really pleased to see more variety in this thread, i hope the infamous shots begin to get limited even if they do look great.

Top Bottom