• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

No jaggies on my end either (make sure you properly calibrate your TV if you're getting jaggies).

how?
please enlighten me with how you've managed to do this.
the game looks great but to say you have no jaggies due to calibrating your tv properly makes me want to know your secret.

VanWinkle

I'm being 100% serious too. Maybe if I were to take some still photos there would be jaggies but I haven't noticed anything in motion on my end (Panasonic plasma set).
That's really odd. If you have a 1080p set, and it's perfectly calibrated, you should easily see a difference between 720p content and 1080p content. Especially this game with no AA. My TV is properly calibrated, and I can see the jaggies easily on MK8 (still looks good), whereas a 1080p game looks amazing.

Teknoman

You dont have to use facebook to sign up for minus, or at least I didnt back when it was min.us

Anyway:

ibn67d02B4jTJd.jpg

ibm6GTYay525Wo.jpg

iySnoGqHdEMOA.jpg

-griffy-

Banned
I'm being 100% serious too. Maybe if I were to take some still photos there would be jaggies but I haven't noticed anything in motion on my end (Panasonic plasma set).

I have a Panasonic plasma as well, and aliasing is easily evident when it is present. You simply not noticing or minding aliasing in your setup is not the same as people having their TV's calibrated incorrectly.

In fact, a proper calibration would be displaying things as closely/faithfully to the source as possible, meaning if the source has aliasing then you will see aliasing. No amount of calibration will eliminate aliasing without also degrading overall picture quality severely, as the amount of blurring involved in eliminating aliasing via TV settings would be over the top (so much that no TV I am aware of would even be capable of it).

You just don't notice it or don't mind because of a combination of your screen size, seating distance, and personal sensitivity to aliasing.

Timu

Jaggies will never go away permanently even with calibration as the game was made to have no AA regardless though, it's why every screenshot in this thread has jaggies in them.

bob page

I have a Panasonic plasma as well, and aliasing is easily evident when it is present. You simply not noticing or minding aliasing in your setup is not the same as people having their TV's calibrated incorrectly.

In fact, a proper calibration would be displaying things as closely/faithfully to the source as possible, meaning if the source has aliasing then you will see aliasing. No amount of calibration will eliminate aliasing without also degrading overall picture quality severely, as the amount of blurring involved in eliminating aliasing via TV settings would be over the top (so much that no TV I am aware of would even be capable of it).

You just don't notice it or don't mind because of a combination of your screen size, seating distance, and personal sensitivity to aliasing.

Jaggies are usually one of the biggest detractors in games for me, so I tend to notice them if they're there. Maybe it's my viewing distance (~8ft). When I sit around 6ft they're definitely visible but at 8ft it's very minimal. I don't have any post-processing settings enabled on my TV, either.

Theecliff

Banned
Your shots are a bit small, try changing the last part of the url from 'large' to 'orig' to get them at a higher resolution.

For example, your Transitor shot at a higher res:
BoH4JOTIIAAke5U.jpg:orig

Sadly, even at higher resolutions Twitter still compresses images quite a bit!

Hope that's helped anyway :)

Chabbles

how do you guys take shots without the HUD? Do you just crop it out, or is there a trick? (PS4)

Just hit the share button to take the shot and instantly hit Up on the D-pad to bring up your phone. The HUD is removed for a split second when you bring up the phone.
But what works for me 99% of shots first time, is to take the screenshot right before hitting up on the D-pad as theres a slight lag between hitting screenshot and it actually capturing the shot.

valkyre

Just hit the share button to take the shot and instantly hit Up on the D-pad to bring up your phone. The HUD is removed for a split second when you bring up the phone.
But what works for me 99% of shots first time, is to take the screenshot right before hitting up on the D-pad as theres a slight lag between hitting screenshot and it actually capturing the shot.

Cheers! Will definitely try this! ;)

Gvaz

Banned
nice to see ps4 watch dogs still uses bokeh

those infamous shots look more like a typical pc game though. looks like watch dogs does on the pc.

Okay, so the phone trick is one thing for getting rid of the HUD, fine... But how are you getting shots like this?!? Without Aiden in them?

And here's another vote for forcing all games to feature a photo mode like Infamous:SS.

He looks to be in the water and pressed up in a corner, forcing the camera above him?

Top Bottom