• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

stryke

Maybe it's a shit implementation of their FXAA pass.

It's also got that weird artifacting on trees like Killzone which I hated.

Hollow

Screenshots don't seem to be doing Driveclub any justice. I wish I could see the game for myself but the PS+ edition isn't available yet.

I'm gonna have to agree with you. direct feed pics are the best way to judge how technically impressive a game graphics are.

That's not even remotely true. There are quite a few technically impressive games that result into poor screenshots. The Metro titles being some that come to mind. The screenshots for Ryse don't look as good as the game in motion.

benzy

ibx8IB9RtQNYkC.jpg

ib0rC3zeEhE1T1.jpg

ibrPLrnW325OYT.jpg

Gurish

Forza's IQ is much better but it doesn't look too hot during gameplay shot as well, But DC is certainly disappointing, EVO made a stupid decision by not improving IQ as first priority, much more important and apparent than volumetric clouds...

I never get developers that push tech but don't care about IQ, their fancy tech looks like shit if IQ is bad, it was the same with TLoU on PS3 as well, EVO blew it unfortunately.

Edit: the latest DC batch above me looks much better.

Screenshots don't seem to be doing Driveclub any justice. I wish I could see the game for myself but the PS+ edition isn't available yet.

That's not even remotely true. There are quite a few technically impressive games that result into poor screenshots. The Metro titles being some that come to mind. The screenshots for Ryse don't look as good as the game in motion.

You named 2 titles, and one of them looks phenomenal in pics at 1080p on PC. the other was 900p, so of course pics looked kinda of blurry.

ibn1wMxY0avEPD.png

terrier

Possibly the best shot I've seen of India (India, right?) Most screens for that location I've come across have looked poor.

that tree detail, the leaves, is trully impressive.

The lighting, being so close to reality is probably what makes some screenshots look kinda dull.

benzy

Possibly the best shot I've seen of India (India, right?) Most screens for that location I've come across have looked poor.

Yeah, India. The problem is objects in the distance that is rendered with tiny details like individual leaves tend to have less AA applied along with worse texture filtering, until you get closer to the object then the clarity is much better. So in motion these little artifacts aren't really noticeable, but they show up in screens and makes the game look bad in certain instances. It's the reason why the snowy Norway screens look better than the India shots.

Forza's IQ is much better but it doesn't look too hot during gameplay shot as well, But DC is certainly disappointing, EVO made a stupid decision by not improving IQ as first priority, much more important and apparent than volumetric clouds...

I never get developers that push tech but don't care about IQ, their fancy tech looks like shit if IQ is bad, it was the same with TLoU on PS3 as well, EVO blew it unfortunately.

The image quality is actually pretty good when you play it in front of you. It looks quite sharp actually and not blurry at all. There's just some shimmering on the cars that's especially noticeable at night. The trees that look muddy in screens aren't even muddy looking in motion, even when the car is at a stand still. I've gotten about 3 feet close up to a 55" screen to inspect and it still looks better than the screengrabs. The game looks great, and image quality shouldn't be a problem. AF could still be a lot better, but the same applies to FH2.

The image quality is actually pretty good when you play it in front of you. It looks quite sharp actually and not blurry at all. There's just some shimmering on the cars that's especially noticeable at night. The trees that look muddy in screens aren't even muddy looking in motion, even when the car is at a stand still. I've gotten about 3 feet close up to a 55" screen to inspect and it still looks better than the screengrabs. The game looks great, and image quality shouldn't be a problem. AF could still be a lot better, but the same applies to FH2.

Don't let TAJ catch you saying that, you'll be labelled as "fucking delusional".

Are you shots share button captures, or external captures?

Gurish

Yeah, India. The problem is objects in the distance that is rendered with tiny details like individual leaves tend to have less AA applied along with worse texture filtering, until you get closer to the object then the clarity is much better. So in motion these little artifacts aren't really noticeable, but they show up in screens and makes the game look bad in certain instances. It's the reason why the snowy Norway screens look better than the India shots.

Good to know man, I'll judge it myself when PS+ edition arrives, too bad it includes the not so impressive looking India tracks :(

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
from these screenshots i'd say forza is the better looking racing game. drive club looks bad. and i'm saying this as someone who's a sony "fanboy".

i'll try the ps+ version out but probably won't upgrade.

Hollow

You named 2 titles, and one of them looks phenomenal in pics at 1080p on PC. the other was 900p, so of course pics looked kinda of blurry.

ibn1wMxY0avEPD.png

It's 4:50am for me so I think you're expecting too much from my tired brain when it comes to listing titles. :p
Also, I think that screenshot of Ryse is being oversampled. There's no aliasing I can see on the foliage when compared to DF's 1080p screens.

Bringing up PC IQ in a console screens thread is a moot point.

benzy

Good to know man, I'll judge it myself when PS+ edition arrives, too bad it includes the not so impressive looking India tracks :(

I actually like the way India looks. :p The poor texture filtering and artifacts aren't noticeable really. If the PS+ edition lets you adjust the time, cloudy skies, and timelapse speed like the full game then you're still in for a treat.

http://a.pomf.se/panwlc.gif

Don't let TAJ catch you saying that, you'll be labelled as "fucking delusional".

Are you shots share button captures, or external captures?

Lol. I hope he gets to play the game soon, maybe he'll agree with me. :p

They're share captures exported to a USB stick.

The image quality is actually pretty good when you play it in front of you. It looks quite sharp actually and not blurry at all. There's just some shimmering on the cars that's especially noticeable at night. The trees that look muddy in screens aren't even muddy looking in motion, even when the car is at a stand still. I've gotten about 3 feet close up to a 55" screen to inspect and it still looks better than the screengrabs. [/B]The game looks great, and image quality shouldn't be a problem. AF could still be a lot better, but the same applies to FH2.

any idea why the screens look unimpressive then? i guess we'll have to wait for the digital foundry article.

from these screenshots i'd say forza is the better looking racing game. drive club looks bad. and i'm saying this as someone who's a sony "fanboy".

i'll try the ps+ version out but probably won't upgrade.

Pics do DC no justice , the lighting is something to behold along other things .
EVO made the right choice , might not so good in pics but when playing it's look good to amazing depending on the track and time of day .

this isn't ?

both games use the right amount of blur

I don't think either dev just used an arbitrary shutter angle, i think Evolution and Playground are sticking to real life values. A camera filming at 30fps will produce that much motion blur, depending on how fast things are moving on the screen, obviously.

Well, kinda - Filming at a given framerate gives you a maximum shutter speed, it doesn't define the shutter speed. There are a whole load of variables that go into defining what that shutter speed has to be to correctly expose the image, but it's entirely possible to travel really quite fast and still have almost not motion blur. That said, most games will use a physically based lighting and exposure system, in which case the level of blurring can at least be made to mimic a specific camera setup accurately (but not "all cameras").

Dafuq is going on in here? Way too many words for a screenshot thread :p

And shouldn't the FH2 and DC screens be discussed in the "Next"-Gen Racing Graphics thread?

I watched the gamersyde videos and i think,it's the best looking next gen racer, the only thing i find amazing though is the car models and lighting.it's just not the technical marvel that i was hoping for or promised by the developer.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812527

Those shots have clearly been taken with some sort of photo-mode. I don't think it's fair to compare those to in-game share button captures. Especially seeing as some of the times of day in those shots aren't in any of the shots we've seen so far. When we get photo-mode ourselves, we can make much more accurate comparisons.

Those shots are definitely downsampled, though.

Those shots have clearly been taken with some sort of photo-mode. I don't think it's fair to compare those to in-game share button captures. Especially seeing as some of the times of day in those shots aren't in any of the shots we've seen so far. When we get photo-mode ourselves, we can make much more accurate comparisons.

Those shots are definitely downsampled, though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110471671&postcount=47 director confirms they are all in game.

eso76

Well, kinda - Filming at a given framerate gives you a maximum shutter speed, it doesn't define the shutter speed. There are a whole load of variables that go into defining what that shutter speed has to be to correctly expose the image, but it's entirely possible to travel really quite fast and still have almost not motion blur. That said, most games will use a physically based lighting and exposure system, in which case the level of blurring can at least be made to mimic a specific camera setup accurately (but not "all cameras").

Of course, shutter speed can be manually adjusted even in a lot of cheap camcorders (sport mode, which returns almost no motion blur at all, provided lighting conditions are good enough) but in graphics it's assumed a good shutter angle for smooth 30fps motion is 180° (1/48 sec).
I'm pretty sure that's what both devs are sticking to.

I guess this ambivalence will be rectified later when we get more DC screens by the usual suspects. Looking forward to the photo mode as well. It doesn't change the quality of effects like Forza and GT do as far as I know.

zeroyazi

Banned
I used to visit this thread for page after page of console screenshots. Now it's the same 5 shots reposted along with bickering. Time to unsubscribe to this thread.

Thanks guys. You know how to ruin a good thing.

Of course they're in-game, I never disputed that...but obviously they aren't from the perspective of the player, as it would be if you were sitting down playing the game on your TV, like how these share button captures are. They have obviously been taken with some sort of photo-mode, or "dev mode" to get that perfect camera angles and make them look as appealing as possible.

All I'm saying is what wait until we gamers have those same tools before using such shots in comparisons. Then we will be able to choose the track, the time of day, the weather, and position our shots the way the devs have in those shots you posted. For the sake of fair comparisons.

shandy706

All games are going to have these issues though. Forza Horizon 2 for example, even in Photo mode…

Ah, but you're being dishonest here or you don't realize what those are....and how they were taken.

It's not the same situation.

For those that don't realize. Those are low LOD shots taken from long distance, not directly at the car.. Possibly from the 360 versions too..can't remember.

(actually, photo mode faked to look ingame or genuine ingame grabs ?)

You can see the aperture has been altered to focus on the car. Looks the same, but slightly less blurry, in real time. The AA is incredible in FH2...as are the views.

shandy706

How is it trolling? Just an example of how all nearly all games have asset flaws when examined up close and personal.

The shots you posted were not taken "up close and personal", unlike the DC shot. That's probably why he said you were trolling ;).

They're long distance LOD shots.

I'd say it's best to stick to purdy shots in this thread. I'd love to post more stuff, but I have to head into the field :(.

There's something about the little village/town areas in FH2 that look flat. I think it's a lack of AO? I'm not sure. But I think those areas are the weakest areas of the game graphically.

I'm talking about daytime, btw. They look awesome at night.

Top Bottom