• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

kanuuna

What are some of the devices I should be looking at for capturing lossless, or as close to it, shots of games from these consoles or the PS3? HolyFridge's shots for instance look a cut above the rest because of the lack of any noticeable compression. Is this some Digital Foundry level gear? Is it ridiculously expensive?

I tried kiddie pool tier stuff with Elgato HD60, which I got to use for a half a day. While the software was very user friendly, I found the quality to be subpar using the Screenshot to Desktop feature. Lack of support for PS3 was also a huge bummer - as I'd very much like to revisit some of the exclusive games and Dragon's Dogma. I think I read that streaming with OBS using that piece of kit wasn't possible, too - a bummer as well.

Is there a guide to consult? I feel like there should be one in the OP.
I'm sure that the general interest in investing this kind of kit is low unless you intend to make a living out of it (streaming etc.), but I wouldn't mind knowing what I could get, if I really turn things up a little.

Timu

What are some of the devices I should be looking at for capturing lossless, or as close to it, shots of games from these consoles or the PS3?
Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD(which I use) and Avermedia ExtremeCap U3(which is what HolyFridge uses).

kanuuna

Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD(which I use) and Avermedia ExtremeCap U3(which is what HolyFridge uses).

Thanks. This really brings me back to me needing to upgrade my PC for good - I've got no USB 3.0 ports, lol.
Last upgrade I had was going from a pair of GTX 285s in SLI to a GTX 590 with the release of Battlefield 3. Rest is all 2008 - 2009 gear, though I would say i7 and the whole package have aged quite well.

If only some worthwhile, wholly next-gen games for PC would come around already.

theWB27

ip61LKz84iWq5.jpg

i1e6SS9i3pLcS.jpg

iboAQPXIIxRFnc.jpg

valkyre

Wait, does ACU XBO look sharper/better than on PS4, or was there a patch that improved IQ ?
Because XBO screens posted on the last couple pages look better than most i had seen from the PS4. Or is it just that i'm used to seeing PS4 screens which are captured with the share function while XBO's required a capture card ?
Either way, game looks very pretty here.

These shots truly look much cleaner than PS4 Unity shots. Whats the deal here? Are these cutscenes or gameplay?

le-seb

- Hey, John, where are the power cables for the spotlights?
- Oh fuck, we've forgotten them in Norway!

Amusing omission considering Evolution Studio's artists have even thought of deploying light tower and generator sets in some locations.
Now that I think of it, I wonder if you can hear them operating. I'll have to check.

-griffy-

Banned
These shots truly look much cleaner than PS4 Unity shots. Whats the deal here? Are these cutscenes or gameplay?

He uses a capture card to get his shots uncompressed, I believe, and most of the PS4 shots in the thread are presumably taken via the Share button.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
You have got to be kidding me...I hate that crap on anything that isn't horror, wow, I'm surprised they added that, lol.

I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing and being disgusted with in this image. I'd really like to know!

Caayn

People have resorted to adding black bars to their pictures :(
has to be either chromatic aberration, dof, or shark fins. or mountains. lol
It's the CA, I do find it funny that this is the first time I hear someone talk about CA in GTAV.

Just....why? Why do developers thinks this looks good? It makes no sense, especially in first-person.
I actually never realized the game used CA so I tried looking for it as I played and from what I can tell it only applies CA to things around the outer edge of the screen [example].
I'm always looking at the center of my screen so it's probably why I never noticed it.

15388224614_a67af37bb6_o.png

15823087058_b72e2fbbaa_o.png

15984705146_c75a05ff9a_o.png

-griffy-

Banned
I actually never realized the game used CA so I tried looking for it as I played and from what I can tell it only applies CA to things around the outer edge of the screen
That's typically where you would actually see it when looking at actual photos/video in real life due to the curvature/build quality of certain lenses, so if you were trying to more accurately model a real lens it would be barely perceptible or non existent at the center and get more pronounced at the edge. GTAV's implementation is fairly subtle and non-obtrusive, especially in comparison to something like Lords of the Fallen where it actively ruins the IQ:
amarectv2014-10-2817-pqde0.png

Top Bottom