• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

Last batch of KZ for a while.

il9qUef7jnSoj.jpg

ibgRuJY0OXHFbg.jpg

iIFhW4OSRjxwy.jpg

low-G

You're wrong and You are making stuff up.

No, I'm right, although I was referring to in-gameplay assets & their representation, I haven't yet seen CryEngine 3 (I should specify, on PC) render metal really well. I don't think the materials of that car look particularly good and I don't see any apparent HDR/bloom nor the type of specularity that you see on metals in real life or in games that represent metal well.

You don't think CryEngine 3 was tweaked for Ryse? Because I agree every material in that game looks about as good as they come, but it blows away the materials in Crysis 3, and I don't think power was an issue.

I will gladly receive PMs demonstrating CryEngine 3 on PC handling materials really well. (I'm pretty sure they had to modify the engine for Ryse)

KKRT00

No, I'm right, although I was referring to in-gameplay assets & their representation, I haven't yet seen CryEngine 3 (I should specify, on PC) render metal really well. I don't think the materials of that car look particularly good and I don't see any apparent HDR/bloom nor the type of specularity that you see on metals in real life or in games that represent metal well.

You don't think CryEngine 3 was tweaked for Ryse? Because I agree every material in that game looks about as good as they come, but it blows away the materials in Crysis 3, and I don't think power was an issue.

I will gladly receive PMs demonstrating CryEngine 3 on PC handling materials really well. (I'm pretty sure they had to modify the engine for Ryse)

Can You point me what games render metals well to You?

And Ryse had transition to physically based shading. Crysis 3 already has some of it, but havent had full pipeline made with it in mind.
You can read about it here:
http://www.makinggames.de/index.php/magazin/2391_ryse__the_transition_to_physically_based_shading

And here You have documented how they handled assets creation and rendering in Crysis 3:
http://crytek.com/download/fmx2013_c3_art_tech_donzallaz_sousa.pdf

chadboban

It does not look like 2K scanned Curry's face for NBA 2K14 next-gen but it still looks better on PS4 by miles compared to your Wii-U screenshot.

Images compressed by Twitter direct uploading

8uvd.jpg

hcop.jpg

8cpz.jpg

Actually, 2k14 didn't release for Wii U(no surprise there). His screenshot is from 2k13 on Wii U.

But those characters are not directly comparable, like 1:1, because they focus on something completely different. Like for example KZ:SF characters do not have face at all, ears, they dont have tons of movable parts on their models etc.
We would need Crysis 4 to make better comparison in that department.

accurate. not really comparable. rise's character models are amoung the best i've seen and a big step foward over the allready excellent ones in c3. non masked character models in KZ are a mixed bag. but the model of helgan sniper girl is one of the best in business. again you can only really tell when watched in motion. the exact oppoisit of BF4 character models, which look in motion nowhere near as some screens might suggest.

<<man you really should play it first before making such bold statements. its uncanny how much of KZ's small detail is lost in stills or compressed video.>>

Crysis 3 in motion looks also much better
And i completely agree that KZ:SF has much better art style.
Comparison thread wont have one to one comparison from different games, its impossible, because of difference in assets and art style. It will be more like a compilation of all tech features of a game with good examples.

yeah crysis also looks better in motion. and granted, things like that
are awesome. BUT my point was that it's impossible to judge the quality of highly layered materials in stills. if you had played KZ, you'd know that the best material work in crysis at best is on par with what KZ shows in this regard. and other than crysis the sheer quantity of high quality materials at a time, makes your statement "Nah, textures are not on pair with C3, You'll see in comparison thread when Dictator will get unbanned in a week." absurd. where in c3 you see one, two highend materials at a time at best, in KZ most of the texture work surrounding you is top notch (yeah there are still loend texture here and there, as in every shooter). the average material detail is simply much much higher. AGAIN, to recognize that one would need to have played both games.

jet1911

As good as AC4 looks, I have to imagine it would look so much better if it were a true next-gen. title.

Yeah, it looks great but it shows that it's a last gen game with a couple of fancy effects and in 1080p. Especially in motion. I don't think we'll have a true next gen AC next year either unless they started develloping it a couple years ago.

just finished BF4 campaign this weekend and KZ yesterday and im shocked how much worse BF looks compared to the last few levels in KZ. one can clearly see that BF at bottom is a last gen game with a little next gen paint while KZ is built ground up without those limitations.

as mentioned before the compression destroyed all the micro detail, but i think one still can get an idea.

Bbn76aXIcAEFu4O.jpg:orig

Bbnf3NpIQAA1Fu3.jpg:orig

same material somewhere else:
BbnYWUeIMAEHU39.jpg:orig

BbnSOhkIQAAZOGX.jpg:orig

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Man, Deadpool is everywhere. I didn't notice that one during my playthrough.

Killzone looks so good. Too bad the game isn't the best. I'm hoping halo can pull off that quality of texture work with proper halo lighting and game play. Fingers crossed.

Killzone looks so good. Too bad the game isn't the best. I'm hoping halo can pull off that quality of texture work with proper halo lighting and game play. Fingers crossed.

Considering it is aiming for 60 fps and on less powerful hardware, it will be interesting to see if it will match KZ in visuals. Personally, I think with more time in the pot plus good art it can look just as impressive. I expect Guerrlias next game to look much stronger to be honest given they will have worked out the kinks of their engine. Personally, I like some of the art in KZ SF at least as much as in the Halo games. Visually and aesthetically the game excels, it is the game itself that seems to have fallen short unfortunately...

Still it is awesome we are getting a game that looks this good at launch. Compare it to a ps3/360 game like say Halo 4 and the difference is pretty damn big, and it is only going to get better from here.

Top Bottom