• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beach

Our replacements are 4 years late. We had an entire cycle of players that never came good.
Pretty much, I still believe we will advance but we have had no breakout players in the past 5 or so years except maybe (hopefully) Wood. Flops like Mix have held the country back a whole cup cycle.

Edit: Zardes and Dempsey have had good games

Pennywise

So whatever happen to Julian Green?

Overrated and lazy.
Didn't have a chance at Bayern in a million years and made basically no effort at Hamburg.
Unless he steps up and get's another loan or changes the club, he is pretty much no alternative.

Beach

Johnson, Dempsey, Zardes and Bedoya have had good games

Everyone else not really noteworthy

They will do fine against Costa Rica and Paraguay, no reason why they shouldnt, they are the better team in both cases as hard it is to believe

Kill3r7

And still better than Bradley. I don't think any coach can fix some of these problems except picking new players.

Our inability to string together simple passes is maddening. Something that neither Bradley not Klinsmann have been able to remedy. I wish Guus Hiddink would take over for the WC qualifications.

I don't know what you expect. Colombia is one of the best teams in the world. The US has average talent at best.

True, but it seems like there have been issues for awhile now and quite a bit of stumbling? Just seems like the team hasn't made much progression. But idk, I'm not an expert at all.

Eila

let the pulisic kid start next game

That's a good way to burn him. Let the 17 year old kid carry the weight of this spectacular failure of a team, lol.
In any case, this match should have always been expendable. It was the next two matches that would decide the US fate in this tournament.

shoplifter

I think it's pressure. He has times where is is solid not great then folds terribly like the world cup and this game.

I honestly think it's the move back to MLS that killed him. I can't fault the guy for getting a huge payday but we just aren't deep enough to not have our guys who were capable of playing at the highest levels to not be doing it.

That's a good way to burn him. Let the 17 year old kid carry the weight of this spectacular failure of a team, lol.
In any case, this match should have always been expendable. It was the next two matches that would decide the US fate in this tournament.

Yep, you cannot put ridiculous amounts of pressure on that kid. Do I think he can handle it, starting regularly at BvB, yeah, but we need to let the kid settle in.

Paraguay are no joke this time.

Mory Dunz

start = weight of world.

yeah you're right. We should kick him off the team. Don't want to pressure him lol.

Alexi, Zardes actually had a good game. He was about the only one. And maybe johnson.

What pressure...he's sucked for years and always starts. He can't pass or cross only turn the ball over.
Like the friendlies. He looks solid in those and I'm thinking ok he'll be fine back there but the big stage he makes one mistake it gets in his head and it starts snow balling. Frustrating.

USA is done , Costa Rica and Paraguay wont be easier than Colombia

Wat. Colombia has a legit super star on their team...

Fabian Johnson is 17?
eff yea, 15 more good years.

Pulisic is good though.

edit:
Zardes should've flicked to Nagbe there.
Then Dempsey and Yedlin just effed up...

Eh, he's pretty wasted at left back. Understand the reasons for why you put him there, but unless he suddenly turns into Dani Alves or Philipp Lahm, he can't help us win games.

Explain something to me USGAF:

When I say that the MLS should adopt the international FIFA calendar of a August-May season Americans always tell me it's not possible due to harsh weather in northern states but to that I ask:

How does the NFL manage during December, January? Not all NFL stadiums are domes. If they can manage then MLS teams as well right? How about all the Northern Europe football leagues like England's or even the Nordic one's?

The MLS is the only local league that's playing right now and they're hurt every summer. They need to adjust their calendar.

When I say that the MLS should adopt the international FIFA calendar of a August-May season Americans always tell me it's not possible due to harsh weather in northern states but to that I ask:

How does the NFL manage during December, January? Not all NFL stadiums are domes. If they can manage then MLS teams as well right? How about all the Northern Europe football leagues like England's or even the Nordic one's?

The MLS is the only local league that's playing right now and they're hurt every summer. They need to adjust their calendar.

You can play NFL games in the snow. Can't do that with soccer.

Who barely played this season and who isn't in his best form.
Colombia looked pretty dire today.

Will be interesting to see Paraguay - Costa Rica tomorrow.
The latter played pretty decent at the last WC.

And still looked miles ahead of anyone else on the pitch. Colombia never got out of third gear this match and was comfortably dictating the match apart from two 5 minute stretches in either half. Paraguay and Costa Rica are not on Colombia's level.

BTM

Bedoya has been the best US player the last three games. Bradley, Yedlin and Jones were definitely the weak ones today.

shoplifter

Because americans will only brave the elements for the one true sport, handegg. We can't even get solid attendance here in Columbus until mid-May/June. It's fucking baffling. I think we should change too, but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that having MLS competing against the NFL and then three inches of snow in February is going to help attendance.

The non turf pitches will be unplayable. No one will go to the games in terrible weather.

Mory Dunz

W
Eh, he's pretty wasted at left back. Understand the reasons for why you put him there, but unless he suddenly turns into Dani Alves or Philipp Lahm, he can't help us win games.

He's still our best player I'd say. Even at LB. We need to get him more involved though. Yedlin was RB but still had plenty of forays into the attacking half.

Johnson and Nagbe on the left can be dangerous. Find a way to make it happen more.

Bedoya has been the best US player the last three games. Bradley, Yedlin and Jones were definitely the weak ones today.

Bedoya has been good but wasn't great today. He also wasn't the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom