• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

Explain something to me USGAF:

When I say that the MLS should adopt the international FIFA calendar of a August-May season Americans always tell me it's not possible due to harsh weather in northern states but to that I ask:

How does the NFL manage during December, January? Not all NFL stadiums are domes. If they can manage then MLS teams as well right? How about all the Northern Europe football leagues like England's or even the Nordic one's?

The MLS is the only local league that's playing right now and they're hurt every summer. They need to adjust their calendar.

changing the calendar is a dumb suggestion. NFL can play in the snow, Soccer cannot be played in the snow

2-0 to fucking Colombia is not an unexpected result.

Could easily have been 1-0 without that horrible sequence of giveaway and handball in the first half. Could even have been 1-1 if that Dempsey shot wasn't wide left by like a foot, or that penalty kick wasn't saved quite impressively by Ospina.

Of course if it wasn't for top bar's brick wall defense it could have been 3-0. Yeah.

He's still our best player I'd say. Even at LB. We need to get him more involved though. Yedlin was RB but still had plenty of forays into the attacking half.

Mostly because he wasn't preoccupied with Juan Cuadrado.

Could easily have been 1-0 without that horrible sequence of giveaway and handball in the first half. Could even have been 1-1 if that Dempsey shot wasn't wide left by like a foot, or that penalty kick wasn't saved quite impressively by Ospina.

Can't play the what if game. Colombia fluffed a couple of magnificent chances themselves and it could've easily been 4-0. Fact of the matter is, we struggled to create opportunities and our set pieces were poor.

shoplifter

You mean for MLS games? And why until May?

Weather is unpredictable day to day until then. It was 60 degrees two weeks ago and 90 yesterday. It's going to be 70 again next week. The amount of snow the northern US gets would make most pitches unplayable in January/February. The Crew's grounds staff are quite possibly the best in the league, but they're not miracle workers.

edit: YESSSSS Fox staff is arguing about dropping Bradley. FINALLY someone is calling it out.

Niks

Colombia looked pretty dire today.

xBxGrkw.gif

Mory Dunz

Mostly because he wasn't preoccupied with Juan Cuadrado.

Cuadrado didn't do much after 30 min I felt.

When we did have the ball, they needed to get johnson forward, maybe by having jones stay back a bit in case the ball was lost, so Johnson could go up and overlap with zardes or wood or whatever.

changing the calendar is a dumb suggestion. NFL can play in the snow, Soccer cannot be played in the snow

Yes it can. Pretty much every stadium has heated field at this point. In fact I can't think of a single team that would get conditions worse than in some northern European countries.

It's just a fact that Bradley Jones and Bedoya aren't good enough in the middle. 2 of the 3 played awful today. Bedoya was ok but when 2/3 of your midfield is awful ain't much gonna happen.

In addition to the weather that also puts MLS up against NFL and the like more often.

And it is not like players are in the best of health at the end of a season anyway.

Also, Klinsmann is not getting fired unless we get bounced from qualfying. Unless Gulati gets taken out by the recent FIFA shit.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Jones - Badley - jurgen klinsmann

the 3 reasons US lost.

Jones lost the ball a 3rd of the time he got it. Playing midfield not even attempt to feed the forwards.

Bradley had a terrible day today. He not the best, but he usually plays a solid game. Today even his regular build up passes where off key. He's not as bad as some people are making it here, but he was terrible in this game.

Jurgen .... don't like Johnson in the back.., why start Jones over Nagbe?! Zardez and Wood together doesn't/never works, to slow.

Positives

Center defense was great, Cameron and Brooks held it down, Colombia did very little from the middle as a result. Clint was the best player over all, he had no help from mid unfortunately.

Also, as somebody who typically doesn't like US team I thought that US team looked interesting tonight. I think this is the first time ever that I watched USA play and didn't feel like falling asleep...

Kill3r7

Yes it can. Pretty much every stadium has heated field at this point. In fact I can't think of a single team that would get conditions worse than in some northern European countries.

How many teams/leagues play soccer in freezing temperatures week in and week out? We are basically talking about temperatures in the teens to low 30s for most of December through early March. It is just not practical.

Pennywise

You can post shitty gifs all you like, that doesn't make them better.
Their defending was good, allthough a bit sloppy at times with unecessary fouls.
Apart from that they barely had any good attack, apart from all those counters, that they also wasted plenty of times.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
US and MLS GAF having a mental breakdown..chill out guys and look forward to the next games coming up and enjoy.

Mory Dunz

Neither team played well imo. Colombia played better, but more importantly, they took their chances.

However, the caveat is they were up after 9 minutes. So maybe they would've had a more flowing attack if the game was tied or they were losing. The USA never forced them to "play". So it's hard to judge colombia.

US and MLS GAF having a mental breakdown..chill out guys and look forward to the next games coming up and enjoy.

whoareyoutalkingto.gif

Is Messi playing this tournament? I bought my wife tickets to see Argentina next week at Soldier Field. He's her favorite player in the world.

When I say that the MLS should adopt the international FIFA calendar of a August-May season Americans always tell me it's not possible due to harsh weather in northern states but to that I ask:

How does the NFL manage during December, January? Not all NFL stadiums are domes. If they can manage then MLS teams as well right? How about all the Northern Europe football leagues like England's or even the Nordic one's?

The MLS is the only local league that's playing right now and they're hurt every summer. They need to adjust their calendar.

changing the schedule won't magically fix anything. december is the end of the nfl season and isn't nearly as cold as january gets, and january gets the crowds because it's the playoffs.

norway and sweden play the same schedule btw and england is not nearly as cold as toronto, montreal, nyc or boston during the winter.

shoplifter

It's the same shit most of us say every game. Player pool not good enough.

January 2016 temps for Columbus, go on through all the way to May just to see how erratic it can be

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/columbus-oh/43215/january-weather/350128?monyr=1/1/2016

That works for most of Europe. For example temperatures in Ukraine are close to what you would get in Boston and even Ukraine gets to do normal season including all EU competitions. You don't have to have the same schedule that England or Spain has. You can easily take a month and a half off and still make it work.

You'd have to play until Christmas and take off until mid February at best to make that work. I'm not against it, but the reality is that people won't show up.

How many teams/leagues play soccer in freezing temperatures week in and week out? We are basically talking about temperatures in the teens to low 30s for most of December through early March. It is just not practical.

That works for most of Europe. For example temperatures in Ukraine are close to what you would get in Boston and even Ukraine gets to do normal season including all EU competitions. You don't have to have the same schedule that England or Spain has. You can easily take a month and a half off and still make it work.

Nesotenso

there are no way you could play games in the winter. I don't know if you watch MLS, but if you did, then you would know then it is true. And countries in Scandinavia play our schedule.

Is Messi playing this tournament? I bought my wife tickets to see Argentina next week at Soldier Field. He's her favorite player in the world.

He should be fine to play. Suarez might miss the first two initial matches but he should return before knockouts. Neymar just chilling in LA.

And that's all I know. Messi just came off from his tax case

Yes it's technically possible but MLS would go under because no one would go to the matches.

changing the schedule won't magically fix anything. december is the end of the nfl season and isn't nearly as cold as january gets, and january gets the crowds because it's the playoffs.

norway and sweden play the same schedule btw and england is not nearly as cold as toronto, montreal, nyc or boston during the winter.

and along with it go MLS revenues. If anyone is suggesting MLS play the European calendar, then they are just fucking stupid.

MLS needs to start worrying about their own thing rather than to be on the lookout for what NFL does. There are plenty of people who don't give a shit about American sports that would go to MLS games if they made the whole tournament more streamlined and diverse. I live most of the year in the US and I choose to watch Ukrainian league because MLS is so boring to me and barely makes sense...

Nesotenso

2nd division in Russia

GeneralHarmoniousBalloonfish-size_restricted.gif

Of course it can

and along with it go MLS revenues. If anyone is suggesting MLS play the European calendar, then they are just fucking stupid.

MLS needs to start worrying about their own thing rather than to be on the lookout for what NFL does. There are plenty of people who don't give a shit about American sports that would go to MLS games if they made the whole tournament more streamlined and diverse. I live most of the year in the US and I choose to watch Ukrainian league because MLS is so boring to me and barely makes sense...

what does this even fucking mean?

The404ce

Banned
Welp, I'd definetely rather watch the U.S Women's national team...

Both teams didn't play so well tho, you would expect more from Colombia considering USA's flaws in the midfield. Sadly Bacca didn't score, he's such a good player.

Btw: We Colombians are a frigging plague tho, we're everywhere lol looked like they were playing in Barranquilla.

daegan

NFL teams have large enough fan bases to still full stadiums all winter.

Edit: I still don't think it's necessarily a bad idea. Bundesliga-style break could work, along with scheduling most matches further south? No idea if people would go for it though and several other things need fixing first.

i wasn't necessarily saying they should I was just commenting on the "how does the NFL do it in the winter" because it's not nearly as cold and it's playoff season.

what does this even fucking mean?

Attendance, drafting, viewership, promotion, counter scheduling etc. There's so much stuff that you can tell MLS is doing because it's trying to compete with other sports in America... At least I hope that's a reason, because otherwise I have no idea how they managed to make it so boring.

Hey guys

Anything I need to watch out for if I wanted to buy tickets for the Copa on secondary market? I'm really debating whether I want to fly to Chicago this Friday to see Messi in person.

Paskil

If MLS had a team in Green Bay that actually caught on, you're damn right people would attend winter games. I went to the Packer/San Francisco playoff game a few years ago that was dangerously cold, and while not as cold as originally predicted, while tailgating, my whiskey and coke was still regularly freezing on top. It's a badge of honor to go support your team in subzero temperatures.

where exactly are you going with this? If anything they are trying to avoid competing with the other big leagues and carve out their own space...

They are doing really shitty job trying to differentiate. For example, having east vs west split is extremely artificial. I think it's done to minimize travel, but it just doesn't make sense. You can easily envision where one conference (or whatever they call it) is much worse than the other. I don't know what good solution is, this whole setup just does not work. And you are right, I have no idea how MLS works after 16 years living in the US and religiously following soccer. They are definitely doing something wrong. In fact I know more about Mexican league than I know about the US league.

Nesotenso

It most definitely was not. Colombia was majority.
The American outlaws were in the side opposite to the camera.

They are doing really shitty job trying to differentiate. For example, having east vs west split is extremely artificial. I think it's done to minimize travel, but it just doesn't make sense. You can easily envision where one conference (or whatever they call it) is much worse than the other. I don't know what good solution is, this whole setup just does not work. And you are right, I have no idea how MLS works after 16 years living in the US and religiously following soccer. They are definitely doing something wrong. In fact I know more about Mexican league than I know about the US league.

you literally gave the reason and then say it doesn't make sense. If you don't how the league works after living here for 16 years, then it is more on you. You are not very good at religiously following soccer.

you literally gave the reason and then say it doesn't make sense. If you don't how the league works after living here for 16 years, then it is more on you. You are not very good at religiously following soccer.

You are just dismissing everything I say as if I actually need to hate MLS for some reason. I'm disinterested. Fine, lets say I'm casual soccer fan. Even more reason for MLS to try to get me interested. And it's not just me. I have plenty of friends who watch soccer every weekend but have no idea how MLS works. I'm not even saying that they don't know how the teams are doing, they don't know how the whole league works. That's a big problem. For most leagues it takes a minute to sort of get your bearings. MLS needs to be simplified (and as I mentioned before they need more diversity).

EDIT: If you want my suggestion I think they could just decrease number of teams in the TOP league to decrease travel and also play some local competitions in addition to the TOP league to keep number of games up. It could be a Cup or something and it could start localized/regional. This would actually help them to flip the seasons as well. Smaller number of games will allow them for a longer winter break.

EDIT 2: I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out 2015 season... I can't even tell who became a champion. There's a cup winner, but MLS plays cup after the league is over? So it's like NBA? Why do that? Also each conference played 34 games (!!) and some of the games they played against other conference anyway. It seems very unfair. Games away in soccer are actually a huge factor. Just keep it to either 2 or 4 games against the same team... Who thought this was a good idea?

The404ce

Banned
I think MLS should go paralell to NFL, not against it. "Soccer" is different enough to keep its status quo on people's mind. they should focus on promoting Soccer more actively within the States. (on Schools especially) since this generation is growing up on social medias, they could use it to show people that "Soccer" is not only soccer, it's something more... it's Football in the rest of the world. Their fan-base, the Hooligans, las Barras in hispanic countries, the teams and their history... people gets pumped with shit like that, I don't even like American Football that much, but every time I see videos about people like the USC fans raving at the stadiums or the Florida State fans doing the tomahawk chop, it makes me want to be there with them and enjoy that moment. People are looking for unforgettable experiences, MLS should give them that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom