• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

You're right. But part of Klinsmann's job is to get some of our more talented, younger players ready for a game like this. By playing them in friendlies and earlier in the tournament. Instead he uses friendlies as a time to just try out random formations, playing players out of position, etc. instead of developing a coherent system and finding talented players that fit that system.

Besides, if the end goal is to have a competitive team ready for the 2018 World Cup, isn't the 2016 Copa America a perfect opportunity to get some of your younger players some valuable experience against top-level competition? Instead we trot out Beckerman and Wondolowski, two guys who shouldn't even get a sniff of the 2018 WC roster. Our starting lineup in this competition was basically the same as it was in Brazil two years ago, despite guys like Dempsey and Jones likely being too old to really rely on in Russia. That's not how you build for the future.

Spot on.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Agreed.

Beckerman, Wondo and Zusi offered nothing yesterday and to be frank they should not be on the team let alone start. However, Klinsmann keeps them around because of their experience. Also, our inability to find a decent LB to allow FJ to play further up-field is maddening. The 2018 WC roster hopefully will look very different and some of the youth players will be introduced in the starting lineup.

Greece won Euro 2004 with a team that was not much better than the US going forward. Tournament play rewards well organized teams and a bit of luck. The early goal buried us yesterday and the Messi free kick sealed it.

Tournament play rewards skill in addition to those qualities. Teams that win have all 3. The US doesn't have skill so they will never really succeed and all the hand-wringing about player selection and formation only works to hide this massive, limiting deficiency. I understand that people want and need to talk about that stuff after matches but it also frustrates me because so often it sounds like those are the biggest problems we have. They aren't.

Your example of what we needed yesterday is spot-on except that Messi created the first two goals and we don't have a player that can even sniff the quality involved in both of those goals. That isn't something our development system selects so we don't have anything that approaches it.

gutshot

Tournament play rewards skill in addition to those qualities. Teams that win have all 3. The US doesn't have skill so they will never really succeed and all the hand-wringing about player selection and formation only works to hide this massive, limiting deficiency. I understand that people want and need to talk about that stuff after matches but it also frustrates me because so often it sounds like those are the biggest problems we have. They aren't.

Your example of what we needed yesterday is spot-on except that Messi created the first two goals and we don't have a player that can even sniff the quality involved in both of those goals. That isn't something our development system selects so we don't have anything that approaches it.

I get what you're saying and yes, we still have a long ways to go with youth development before we can hope to match the elite nations. That being said, Klinsi does himself no favors when he starts players like Wondo and Beckerman when he has guys on his bench or back at home that offer better technical skills and elite athleticism. That is what has people frustrated.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I get what you're saying and yes, we still have a long ways to go with youth development before we can hope to match the elite nations. That being said, Klinsi does himself no favors when he starts players like Wondo and Beckerman when he has guys on his bench or back at home that offer better technical skills and elite athleticism. That is what has people frustrated.

I agree but that also requires us to take a step back in order to take a step forward. And, as we see with our cultural attitude towards youth development, that isn't something easily accepted by our country. I have no problem that he played Pulisic even though he got his ass handed to him and is being criticized for it - let's get these guys some experience against this competition. Yes, Jones (if available) would be better but I don't care...that is limiting in the long run.

LAM09

Can't see anything but a Chile win tonight. They've gotten better as the tournament has progressed and want to retain their title.

Can't see anything but a Chile win tonight. They've gotten better as the tournament has progressed and want to retain their title.

I'm chilean and I'm not confident at all, for two reasons:

1.- We are missing both Vidal and Díaz, those two plus Aránguiz represent the vertebral column of our team. While the replacements are excellent players, they are in no way at the same level.

2.- Colombia is a super strong team that knows how to defend. Pékerman already know us inside out, so he is fully aware of our weakness.

In short: This match will be decided in favor of whoever makes less mistakes. I can't imagine a match with tons of goals this time, to be honest.

We'll see.

For some reason I'm in a "I don't give a rat ass about the result" mood. It's like the 7 goals against México gave me too much joy, now I need a bit of sadness to compensate hahahaha.

LAM09

I'm chilean and I'm not confident at all, for two reasons:

1.- We are missing both Vidal and Díaz, those two plus Aránguiz represent the vertebral column of our team. While the replacements are excellent players, they are in no way at the same level.

2.- Colombia is a super strong team that knows how to defend. Pékerman already know us inside out, so he is fully aware of our weakness.

In short: This match will be decided in favor of whoever makes less mistakes. I can't imagine a match with tons of goals this time, to be honest.

We'll see.

For some reason I'm in a "I don't give a rat ass about the result" mood. It's like the 7 goals against México gave me too much joy, now I need a bit of sadness to compensate hahahaha.

Didn't realise Vidal and Diaz are both out. It will definitely make the task harder, but I think Chile's attack will be too much for Colombia.

Ha ha! I can imagine many Chileans are still on a high after that massive win.

Altazor

I'm nervous, guys. I believe we can win today, but I'm not really that confident and I'm absolutely not underestimating Colombia.

Oh my.

Toxi

Banned
You're severely underestimating Colombia's team, along with Chile's lack of Vidal.

If Chile makes it, the game will be hard-won.

LAM09

You're severely underestimating Colombia's team, along with Chile's lack of Vidal.

If Chile makes it, the game will be hard-won.

I'm going by what I've seen. Colombia are a far cry from the side they were a few years ago. They just got past a Peru B side.

However, I don't expect Chile to stroll to victory.

Didn't realise Vidal and Diaz are both out. It will definitely make the task harder, but I think Chile's attack will be too much for Colombia.

The thing is, Díaz, Vidal & Aránguiz are the ones that start 99% of Chile's attacks.

Aránguiz will need to play as perfect as possible, and Vidal's sub, Hernández... well, you can imagine the way he feels right now when he is called to replace him.

I'd be excited as hell if Colombia could make it to the final, but expecting a win against Argentina sounds completely unrealistic. </3 It'd at least be something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom