• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what would happen if Colombia beats Chile.

I mean, how would USA fare against an angry Chile that didn't get the chance to defend their title?

shoplifter

Do other countries have so much criticism of their youth development after every big loss? I swear every time the US loses on the international stage everyone has to point out how much better the US would be if they had a proper youth scouting and development system in place. As if that is at all relevant to the match that just finished.

It's an actual continual problem. When we said it eight years ago it was relevant to today.

Perro

Clhkd6lUgAAQfH6.jpg
lmao

The Llama

Do other countries have so much criticism of their youth development after every big loss? I swear every time the US loses on the international stage everyone has to point out how much better the US would be if they had a proper youth scouting and development system in place. As if that is at all relevant to the match that just finished.

The US lost because Argentina is the best team in the world and we were missing 3 starters (4 if you count Altidore).
It's almost as if it's necessary to properly develop players in order to have a great team. 🤔

Nesotenso

The US lost because Argentina is the best team in the world and we were missing 3 starters (4 if you count Altidore).

I know it is not there yet, but I swear it is getting better. The younger guys are a lot more technical. That is a start.

I mean, how would USA fare against an angry Chile that didn't get the chance to defend their title?

Strictly speaking, we are not defending the title. This Copa is not "official". For the next Copa América, Chile still will be considered the actual champion, even if other team wins this one.

But, yeah... if we don't beat Colombia, I'm pretty sure our players will want to grab that third place.

Aceofspades

Banned
3 out of 4 of the fox sports analysts actually picked usa to win

thats amazing

I don't know if its patriotism or stupidity.

Embarrassing to see such ignorance. You are facing Argentina (currently world #1 team) give them some respect for god sake...be realistic for once.

Do other countries have so much criticism of their youth development after every big loss?

Yes, and it's ten times worse. Everytime Argentina gets knocked out of a tournament by Germany (it's always fucking Germany), the 24 hour news cycle psychoanalyzes every minute detail for a month straight. "We need to get younger." "Players are too focused on their European clubs." "Fire the manager." "Fire everyone." "Bring back Diego Armando Fucking Maradona."

You have no idea how easy the USMNT gets off compared to countries like Argentina and Brazil.

Don't think Chile would play Vidal or Sanchez in a third place match so I think we'll be okay.

Okay as in, we'll definitely put in a shot on goal or two.

gutshot

It's an actual continual problem. When we said it eight years ago it was relevant to today.

Yeah, but the youth system has gone through massive changes in recent years and is getting better ( still not where it needs to be though). But the MLS academies and such are a big step in the right direction. Nagbe and Yedlin are proof of that.

Point is, US Soccer is aware of its short comings in youth development and has been actively trying to fix it for a while now. It's going to be a long time before we see a lot of the fruits of that labor though.

And in any case, we can't go back in time to fix the development of Bradley, Dempsey, et al so I don't know why it has to be brought up when discussing the match?

shoplifter

^^ no arguments there, improvements seem to be happening. At this point it's more of an 'i told you so' than anything else.

merging CONMEBOL and CONCACAF would be a great thing for our teams tbh. Or something to play against better talent in matches that matter. We desperately need it.

Good luck getting the Caribbean nations to go for it.

Edit: never mind that we would be lucky to qualify

Niks

Chile vs Colombia should be a good match. Both teams play offensively.
But yeah Chile are definitively the favorites to win.

At least the Colombian defense is soundly better than Mexicos.

gutshot

Even if JK left who would you want to replace him? (I'm actually curious since I have no clue)

A good tactically minded coach. Don't care who it is, just needs to be someone who understands how to put players into roles they can succeed at.

Cystm

He is terrible 9 out of 10 matches.

But the kid is incredible at creating chances for the opposition. World class in that area.

He was terrible against the best team in the world, yes. He is better than most of the players out on the pitch 9 out of 10 matches, provided that you don't expect him to be anything more than a solid leader and 6.

Someone needs to get those athletes off the football field and basketball courts as youths and get them a soccer ball so our best athletes are playing soccer as well..

Is it accurate to think that someone who is talented at basketball will be just as good at soccer? Aren't they completely different sports? Or is talent for sports really a general thing?

Also, Messi, Iniesta and Romario couldn't play basketball or most positions in american football because of their height and frame, so it's not like those sports are stealing all the talent like that.

Is it accurate to think that someone who is talented at basketball will be just as good at soccer? Aren't they completely different sports? Or is talent for sports really a general thing?

Also, Messi, Iniesta and Romario couldn't play basketball or most positions in american football because of their height and frame, so it's not like those sports are stealing all the talent like that.

Sure. We'd probably struggle to find guys with the type of incandescent talent like Messi or Ronaldo or whoever.

But we should be able to luck our way into a poor man's N'Golo Kante or two.

Omadahl

Banned
Boy am I glad I turned off the TV after that second goal. I told my wife when it was all said and done, "The US won't get a single shot on goal, we'll lose 5-0 and Dempsey will get a red card." I wasn't too far off.

Cornbread78

I was specific in saying "athletes" and just using the other sports they are playing as reference. It's more of a money issue in the US, imo.

Azuran

Banned
The best part about the US losing games is that you get to see the unrealistic expectations most fans have about their team. It's disgusting to see so many people in this thread insulting the players in thst pitch during the game.

I'm kinda glad I'm stuck with Canada because even thought we suck really bad, I still have huge respect for the people that decide to suit up for us and don't insult them when they get outplayed.

Drifters

I want to punch someone so fucking hard after that shit show that was the USMNT.

Dempsey... you mother fucker.
Klinsman, Beckerman over Nagbe, have you lost your fucking mind?
--
OK.... let's figure this out.

1) The US is still trying to figure out how to play on the international stage. We are so grossly under talented that it makes games like tonight's make us look like the harlem globe trotters.
2) I believe MLS needs to be added to UEFA Champions League for us to better understand the global sport and mindset of the world game. This may finally teach these guys why its such a big fucking deal to be in the CL to begin with. Better yet, as a country and as a nation, have some MFing pride when you play.
3) We did not high press the entire game and it killed us. ARG swarmed us off the ball like they snorted cocaine prior to coming onto the pitch. Bad passing and no attacking plan just made us look stupid.
4) Absolutely no forward support. Take that back... No attacking support what so ever.
5) A great team of individual players who suck as a team.
6) When Argentina has Kun Aguero as a sub on their bench, you know you're going to fucking lose the game prior to kick off.

Where do we go from here? New coach? Perhaps. New players needed? You fucking bet. Punt Dempsey, Wondo and others and get some real blood with people who care about representing their nation and none of this "fake it to make it" bullshit that we saw on the field.

Fuck.... I'm still angry and it fucking sucks.

Fuck!!!!!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I want to punch someone so fucking hard after that shit show that was the USMNT.

Dempsey... you mother fucker.
Klinsman, Beckerman over Nagbe, have you lost your fucking mind?
--
OK.... let's figure this out.

1) The US is still trying to figure out how to play on the international stage. We are so grossly under talented that it makes games like tonight's make us look like the harlem globe trotters.
2) I believe MLS needs to be added to UEFA Champions League for us to better understand the global sport and mindset of the world game. This may finally teach these guys why its such a big fucking deal to be in the CL to begin with. Better yet, as a country and as a nation, have some MFing pride when you play.
3) We did not high press the entire game and it killed us. ARG swarmed us off the ball like they snorted cocaine prior to coming onto the pitch. Bad passing and no attacking plan just made us look stupid.
4) Absolutely no forward support. Take that back... No attacking support what so ever.
5) A great team of individual players who suck as a team.
6) When Argentina has Kun Aguero as a sub on their bench, you know you're going to fucking lose the game prior to kick off.

Where do we go from here? New coach? Perhaps. New players needed? You fucking bet. Punt Dempsey, Wondo and others and get some real blood with people who care about representing their nation and none of this "fake it to make it" bullshit that we saw on the field.

Fuck.... I'm still angry and it fucking sucks.

Fuck!!!!!

In terms of point 2, Sacha Kljestan had been in the Champion's League on a yearly basis before coming to NYRB and Klinsmann never really called him up despite him having the skillset we were missing in the attacking midfield. This actually relates to 3 and 4 since the dude knows the high press well since going to NY. There's a lot of talent out there, young talent especially, that he's been ignoring for reasons no one really gets.

In terms of point 1, it's probably the team's talent that's gotten them through all these games because it sure as shit hasn't been the coaching.

We definitely need to be bringing in new blood and expanding the player pool, but the coaching is also part of it. Bob Bradley managed to beat Spain when they were the best team on Earth, do you think Klinsmann could have matched that?

Drifters

In terms of point 2, Sacha Kljestan had been in the Champion's League on a yearly basis before coming to NYRB and Klinsmann never really called him up despite him having the skillset we were missing in the attacking midfield. This actually relates to 3 and 4 since the dude knows the high press well since going to NY. There's a lot of talent out there that he's been ignoring for reasons no one really gets.

In terms of point 1, it's probably the team's talent that's gotten them through all these games because it sure as shit hasn't been the coaching.

We definitely need to be bringing in new blood and expanding the player pool, but the coaching is also part of it. Bob Bradley managed to beat Spain when they were the best team on Earth, do you think Klinsmann could have matched that?

Beat Spain? Ha! With this team? That's like saying LCFC would win the Premier League! Seriously tho, there's no way in hell, our performance was terrible and it would have been impossible for us to play any European teams. To my point tho, we don't get the taste of defeat enough to understand the risk/reward that most other players get playing on the international stage. If I were the USMNT leadership, I would re-think and re-vamp the next 10-20 years of down the road thinking because if we have more of this in the coming years, we will be the laughing stock (more so than we are) of the futbol world.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Beat Spain? Ha! With this team? That's like saying LCFC would win the Premier League! Seriously tho, there's no way in hell, our performance was terrible and it would have been impossible for us to play any European teams. To my point tho, we don't get the taste of defeat enough to understand the risk/reward that most other players get playing on the international stage. If I were the USMNT leadership, I would re-think and re-vamp the next 10-20 years of down the road thinking because if we have more of this in the coming years, we will be the laughing stock (more so than we are) of the futbol world.

My point with that last statement was that it's more than our player pool that's the issue. You could have the best team in the world and if they went out there without a real game plan they could still lose. We definitely need a revamp for down the line, but there's also plenty we could do right now to at least partially fix our problems.

Drifters

My point with that last statement was that it's more than our player pool that's the issue. You could have the best team in the world and if they went out there without a real game plan they could still lose. We definitely need a revamp for down the line, but there's also plenty we could do right now to at least partially fix our problems.

Well to your point, I believe that is where we have to start. Klins doesn't seem to be the guy I would want leading that charge given his tactical decisions on this game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

i dont think we can do much. there is too much money in the NFL, NBA, MLB for parents to even consider putting their kids in soccer programs. do we even have a college soccer scene? if so, there is no way we are handing out scholarships like we do for NBA or NFL.

It's all about the money. Soccer is huge everywhere in the world and that's where the money is. For us, there will probably never be enough money. we will have to hope for some talent from latin america to immigrate over, but even then the best playing kids probably have already been picked up by the scouts in latin america.

Lunar FC

i dont think we can do much. there is too much money in the NFL, NBA, MLB for parents to even consider putting their kids in soccer programs. do we even have a college soccer scene? if so, there is no way we are handing out scholarships like we do for NBA or NFL.

It's all about the money. Soccer is huge everywhere in the world and that's where the money is. For us, there will probably never be enough money. we will have to hope for some talent from latin america to immigrate over, but even then the best playing kids probably have already been picked up by the scouts in latin america.

Sounds like somebody who has zero clue of youth soccer in the country.

Complete nonsense, US youth soccer scene is very big, the US just don't have good players, end of story..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom