• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Wow, I dozed off for about 20 minutes and the score is now 5-0? It was 1-0 when I dozed off.

image.php

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't bet on sports but I feel like anybody who bet Argentina was going to win this Copa America is going to be coming into some money soon

Pretty much. They're a beatable team if Messi isn't on the field, but with him there aren't many teams in the world that can beat them.

Call me crazy, but I still don't see Argentina winning this Copa.

Ecuador and Colombia are way stronger teams, IMO.

Overall, probably. But neither of them have someone on Messi's level. If you're going to beat Argentina it starts with finding a way to limit Messi's time on the ball.

Dinokill

Messi is the leading goal scorer in the tournament after 30 minutes played...

He is tied with Coutinho. Anyway, this is the never ending history of Messi scoring to no-name National Teams and then doing jack shit on playoff and Argentina once again winning nothing.

And there will always be people who think he's not all that.

I lived in Argentina for over twelve years and am heavily biased, but if you don't have him on your greatest of all time list, you are insane. What he has accomplished in his career is nothing short of spectacular. He's the greatest player in the world when futbol/soccer is being played at its highest level in history.

GOAT. Folks who detract from him because no World Cup victories fail to realize that it's tougher to win the UEFA Cup.

Overall, probably. But neither of them have someone on Messi's level. If you're going to beat Argentina it starts with finding a way to limit Messi's time on the ball.

It's true, there is not another player like Messi in this tournament. The thing is, those teams have super strong defenders, you can bet they will "destroy" Messi from a physical point of view.

For sure there are some exciting games ahead.

Overall, this has been a super entertaining Copa :)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's true, there is not another player like Messi in this tournament. The thing is, those teams have super strong defenders, you can bet they will "destroy" Messi from a physical point of view.

For sure there are some exciting games ahead.

Overall, this has been a super entertaining Copa :)

The problem is if you give him an inch he'll turn it into a chance, those defenders are going to be sweating bullets from the mental pressure alone. The question is can they have perfect games for 90 straight minutes?

What I'm saying is this is going to be one hell of a tournament to watch.

He is tied with Coutinho. Anyway, this is the never ending history of Messi scoring to no-name National Teams and then doing jack shit on playoff and Argentina once again winning nothing.

Hot take. Completely wrong on many levels, but hot take nonetheless. Did we watch the same last two WCs? He was involved in basically every goal and took his team to the final. If that's how you define "jack shit," more power to you.

It is. Do you think beating Venezuela and Mexico is tougher than beating Real Madrid and Bayern? Because it's not. The teams that make it to the late stages of UEFA are filled with the best players in the world, regardless of nationality. They have better overall talent than most national teams.

The last two World Cups were essentially won by a Spanish side that was largely Barcelona players, and a German side that was essentially Bayern Munich.

Hot take. Completely wrong on many levels, but hot take nonetheless. Did we watch the same last two WCs? He was involved in basically every goal and took his team to the final. If that's how you define "jack shit," more power to you.

But he didn't score in the final!

lmao there will always be doubters, gotta accept it :p

For me, he's the greatest along with Maradona.

The problem is if you give him an inch he'll turn it into a chance, those defenders are going to be sweating bullets from the mental pressure alone.

What I'm saying is this is going to be one hell of a tournament to watch.

Yeah, I know, one single mistake and probably they will be done.

My team (Chile) managed to pretty much erase Messi from the field during the last Copa América. I think both Ecuador & Colombia have stronger, faster defenders than Chile, so I think it's totally doable for them.

But I agree they will need to be perfect at the task.

Dinokill

Last two WC? In South Africa, Argentina were eliminated in quarter finals by Germany. In Brazil he was involved directly in one goal on the playoff. He was an embarrassment in Argentina 2011, didn't do much in Chile 2015 or in Venezuela 2007.

But he didn't score in the final!

lmao there will always be doubters, gotta accept it :p

For me, he's the greatest along with Maradona.

Argentina lost because they were missing their best two strikers to injury, with di Maria and Aguero out. They barely lost without those two. Messi and company played Germany almost to extra time, with one defensive lapse costing them the cup.

Germany was amazing, full credit to them. But to argue that Messi choked or was less than stellar is hilarious to me.

Draconian

Argentina lost because they were missing their best two strikers to injury, with di Maria and Aguero out. They barely lost without those two. Messi and company played Germany almost to extra time, with one defensive lapse costing them the cup.

Germany was amazing, full credit to them. But to argue that Messi choked or was less than stellar is hilarious to me.

I feel like everybody forgets that Higuain flubbed the most obvious scoring chance in that game, but that doesn't fit the "Messi can't win one for Argentina" narrative so yeah.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I feel like everybody forgets that Higuain flubbed the most obvious scoring chance in that game, but that doesn't fit the "Messi can't win one for Argentina" narrative so yeah.

If Messi loved Argentina enough he would have taken control of Higuain's body with his magical powers and scored the goal himself.

Dinokill

It is. Do you think beating Venezuela and Mexico is tougher than beating Real Madrid and Bayern? Because it's not. The teams that make it to the late stages of UEFA are filled with the best players in the world, regardless of nationality. They have better overall talent than most national teams.

The last two World Cups were essentially won by a Spanish side that was largely Barcelona players, and a German side that was essentially Bayern Munich.

Statistically is way harder to win a WC than a UEFA Champions League that is not even funny. Basically, if you are not Brazilian, Italian or German you already have a ultra slim chance to win World Cup.

Last two WC? In South Africa, Argentina were eliminated in quarter finals by Germany. In Brazil he was involved directly in one goal on the playoff. He was an embarrassment in Argentina 2011, didn't do much in Chile 2015 or in Venezuela 2007.

Messi has scored 69 goals for Argentina in 131 games. He has 33 goals in 69 FIFA appearances. He has led his teams to an under-20 World Cup championship, an Olympic gold medal, and runner up this last World Cup.

He scored 5 goals last World Cup. Your qualifier of "playoff" goals is hilarious, as the while tournament is a playoff. A goal that secures your team a win and advancement is valuable.

Messi has NEVER embarrassed Argentina

Statistically is way harder to win a WC than a UEFA Champions League that is not even funny. Basically, if you are not Brazilian, Italian or German you already have a ultra slim chance to win World Cup.

That only makes sense if you completely ignore the fact that one tournament happens annually, and the other every four years. Naturally, one will have a larger pool of victors to choose from.

Doesn't change the fact that the overall talent and competition level in the UEFA Cup is higher than in the World Cup. Literally, the best players in the world play there, regardless of nationality. There are world class rosters with players who don't even appear in the WC, because their home nations aren't soccer powerhouses.

Look at a team like Barcelona. They have the three greatest goal scorers from South America on their front line. Their midfield, defense, and goalkeeper are all world class and play for their national teams. That's a team that would steamroll through a WC. They didn't even make the UEFA finals.

GunBR

I agree with you that Messi is great, and he don't need to win a World Cup to prove that he is one of the best players of all time (top 5 easily IMO)

But c'mon man, There's no way that the Champions is harder than the World Cup, this is nonsense.

Look at a team like Barcelona. They have the three greatest goal scorers from South America on their front line. Their midfield, defense, and goalkeeper are all world class and play for their national teams. That's a team that would steamroll through a WC. They didn't even make the UEFA finals.

And Barcelona lost to Atletico, a team thousand times worst (if you just compare the players)
So you can't say that he would steamroll at the WC. And you can't just look to the squads to say that the Champions is harder

But c'mon man, There's no way that the Champions is harder than the World Cup, this is nonsense.

What is your counter argument to that belief?

The best players in the world face each other in that tournament, and the top teams are stacked beyond belief. More so than any World Cup squad, as there are no national requirements.

Not to mention champions league sides are significantly better organized defensively

The level of play at the later stages of play is just absurd. You also have to play your way through the CL while you compete in your domestic league and cups

Not to mention champions league sides are significantly better organized defensively

The level of play at the later stages of play is just absurd. You also have to play your way through the CL while you compete in your domestic league and cups

I've watched soccer since the 80s and played competitively. Even as a World Cup fanatic (most fun tournament in sports for me), the level of play is a step lower.

GunBR

What is your counter argument to that belief?

The best players in the world face each other in that tournament, and the top teams are stacked beyond belief. More so than any World Cup squad, as there are no national requirements.
This year runner-up had Griezman (ok) and freaking Fernando Torres on attack
The runner-up of the year before had Tevez and Morata

Real Madrid and Barcelona are better than all the teams of last WC. But you can't say the same of the other teams of the Champions
Even Bayern is worst than Germany IMO

norinrad

I lived in Argentina for over twelve years and am heavily biased, but if you don't have him on your greatest of all time list, you are insane. What he has accomplished in his career is nothing short of spectacular. He's the greatest player in the world when futbol/soccer is being played at its highest level in history.

GOAT. Folks who detract from him because no World Cup victories fail to realize that it's tougher to win the UEFA Cup.

And yet will live in Maradona's shadow for the rest of his days. No world cup nor Copa. I saw Maradona first time as a kid in the 80s the impact he made on me and many kids back then is still huge. One is charismatic and one of the greatest players ever and the other just plays at Barcelona.

And yet will live in Maradona's shadow for the rest of his days. No world cup nor Copy. I saw Maradona first time as a kid in the 80s the impact he made on me and many kids back then is still huge. One is charismatic and one of the greatest players ever and the other just plays at Barcelona.

He doesn't, though. Most of us love both. Messi is more talented.

norinrad

He doesn't, though. Most of us love both. Messi is more talented.

I like them both too, but let's face it. Maradona didn't have Alves, lniesta, Xavi, Pique, Poyul,and the likes around. Those are amazing players who made Messi look good. You only need to look at the Argentina team to realize that.

I like them both too, but let's face it. Maradona didn't have Alves, lniesta, Xavi, Pique, Poyul,and the likes around. Those are amazing players who made Messi look good. You only need to look at the Argentina team to realize that.

Messi would have shredded the 1986 World Cup competition. Let's be real. Diego dominated his competition, but everything from talent to training to fitness is worlds better today.

Maybe but not more succesful, the same with Cristiano Ronaldo

I'm confused with the Ronaldo part. You mean he's also more talented but not as successful?

tim.mbp

You don't rate Careca?

MANUELF

Banned
Messi would have shredded the 1986 World Cup competition. Let's be real. Diego dominated his competition, but everything from talent to training to fitness is worlds better today.

I'm confused with the Ronaldo part. You mean he's also more talented but not as successful?

He is considered alongside Messi as the best football player around but they have yet to win something with their selections

Loris146

It's not easy to compare players from different generations. We had Pelè era, Cruyff era, Maradona era , Ronaldo era and now we have Messi era. All of them ( and others like Eusebio, Di stefano etc) are incredible players. In my opinion Ronnie in his prime was really something else . He was playing on another level in Barcelona/ Inter and Brazil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom