• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Messi FK is a nice goal, but the 3rd one was better he's fighting off the defender, his eyes off the keeper and goal, he took that shot without looking at where the keeper was..

I grew up idolizing Pele, so I've always been reluctant any time these new so called "All-Time Greatest" popped up.

But man, Messi is the first player where I actually feel I'm watching the Greatest of All-Time. Someone who literally breaks the game. I got the same feeling when I watched Michael Jordan. It's one of those feelings where you know it when you see it.

Guys like CR7, Ronaldo, Zidane, and etc are and were great. They've done some absolutely amazing things. But I feel Messi has entered the class of Maradona and Pele where he can literally turn the game upside down. And he's doing it in an age of hyper-athletes and very tight defenses. I think what Messi does over the next two years will heavily weigh whether he can exceed the legends of Pele and Maradona.

Loris146

I grew up idolizing Pele, so I've always been reluctant any time these new so called "All-Time Greatest" popped up.

But man, Messi is the first player where I actually feel I'm watching the Greatest of All-Time. Someone who literally breaks the game. I got the same feeling when I watched Michael Jordan. It's one of those feelings where you know it when you see it.

Guys like CR7, Ronaldo, Zidane, and etc are and were great. They've done some absolutely amazing things. But I feel Messi has entered the class of Maradona and Pele where he can literally turn the game upside down. And he's doing it in an age of hyper-athletes and very tight defenses. I think what Messi does over the next two years will heavily weigh whether he can exceed the legends of Pele and Maradona.

Ronaldo did the same in his prime. He was unreal and changed football. Unfortunaley injuries "ruined" his career.

I've no idea who will win in US vs Paraguay. Which is good for both Paraguay and Costa Rica, since they can still make it to 2nd place, since Pekerman will probably try new players and thus Colombia won't be on its best.

v1lla21

I hope the defense does well because Paraguay is going to be attacking the whole time. We'll need to control the midfield because that will be the key to the game. That or we can play counter attack since that seems like it works well for us.

Costa Rica is effectively dead. I have no idea which US team will show up. Paraguay obviously needs a win but I don't see them throwing a lot of numbers forward from the get go.

Regardless the match should open up in the 2nd half.

SkylineRKR

Ronaldo did the same in his prime. He was unreal and changed football. Unfortunaley injuries "ruined" his career.

He or his management shouldn't have forced an exit to Inter. He's a fan of the beautiful game, I think he regrets it as well. Serie A was viscious, also effectively ended MvB's career. Barcelona was likely more his kind of football, his first season there was phenomenal. The gap between the big clubs and the rest wasn't as big as it is now, 34 goals was a huge feat.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I lived in Argentina for over twelve years and am heavily biased, but if you don't have him on your greatest of all time list, you are insane. What he has accomplished in his career is nothing short of spectacular. He's the greatest player in the world when futbol/soccer is being played at its highest level in history.

GOAT. Folks who detract from him because no World Cup victories fail to realize that it's tougher to win the UEFA Cup.
You can buy players to win a Champions eventually, like Chelsea. You are stuck with what nature gives you in a World Cup.

I thought the people that paid for these tickets were being ripped off, but I'll admit a Messi hat trick would've left me a satisfy customer.

Ronaldo, the Brazilian, and Messi are the only ones from my lifetime that made me feel like I was watching an alien.

Darknight

Tonight's match will be interesting.

I like to watch how far the US always gets. Really want a Colombia vs US rematch lol. Let them suffer again! :)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nope. At this point I'm convinced they're sticking with him through the next cycle.

Didn't see that. I dunno then.

It wasn't in as many words, but he sure as shit didn't sound like Klinsmann would be sticking around long if he burned out of the group.

USA wins and goes to Quarters.
or
USA lose and lose Klinsmann (Maybe, US federation is kinda weird).

So, what are you USA fans hoping for?

Edit: A draw gets you to quarters, No, I don't see Colombia losing by much to Costa Rica

Am I the only one who is annoyed with the drastic changes of the USMNT jerseys from year to year? Just look at the US fans in the crowd, it's a complete mish-mash. And it's not like "old school" jerseys or anything. Jerseys that fans just bought two years ago are already complete out of date...

I think we should pick a common color theme and pattern, and then just stick with it.

ZZMitch

Is sad when USA fans can't even fill their own stadiums. We have a long way to go.

Eh, I dunno if I would be willing to pay the crazy ticket prices that they have for the US games this tournament. Tough when you main fan base are poor college students and 20 year olds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom