• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Halo be any more of the Xbox's savior? (Xbox to post 1st profitable Quarter?)

I made a comment about this about a month ago, where I stated that this quarter had a great chance to be Microsoft's first profitable quarter. With upwards of 250 million retail dollars related to Halo 2's income, and a loss last quarter of 142 million, it's not too hard to come up with these numbers.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5358

Halo 2 could give Xbox a profitable quarter
Rob Fahey 10:19 08/11/2004

Microsoft's Christmas hopes pinned on Bungie's eagerly awaited sequel

This week's launch of Halo 2 is not only Microsoft's most important game launch of the year - it could also drive sufficient software sales to give the firm's Home and Entertainment division its first profitable quarter since the arrival of the Xbox.

The arrival of Bungie's sequel to the best-selling title on the platform marks a key point in Microsoft's efforts to wrest market share from rival Sony, and will be vital to building up the company's credibility as a console manufacturer ahead of the arrival of its next-generation platform next year.

In the more immediate term, though, Halo 2 could potentially sell sufficient units to put Microsoft's Home and Entertainment Division, which houses the Xbox project, in the black for the December quarter according to comments attributed to Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter in a Mercury News feature.

The division has lost several billion dollars on the Xbox project to date, making Microsoft's struggle to gain a foothold in the games industry into an extremely expensive venture, and in the most recent quarter showed losses of $273 million.

However, Halo 2 could easily sell around five million units according to Pachter's estimates, generating around $200 million in sales for the division, while if half of the Xbox installed base buys the title, sales could reach $400 million. Almost 1.5 million units have already been pre-ordered in North America alone, according to some estimates.

Combined with the falling cost of manufacturing the Xbox hardware, this could be enough to drive the division into profit for the quarter - although perversely, stronger Xbox hardware sales make profitability harder to reach, since the company is still believed to be making a significant loss on each hardware unit sold.

If Microsoft can manage to give the Home and Entertainment division at least one quarter in the black, it will be a major coup for the company - which has been criticised by some commentators for gaining only a 15 per cent market share of the games industry while continuing to make significant losses on the Xbox every quarter.

Deku Tree

Could be, but it seems like a long shot considering that Halo 2 will drive up sales of the xbox and the xbox sales will increase their losses.

Isn't it a little dangerous for Microsoft to have everything riding on the Halo name? Especially if Bungie doesn't want to do another Halo or if members of the current Halo development team depart.

Wulfer

Yep, but Microsoft has three other games coming down the pipe to help out. They have Conker, Mech Assualt 2, and Forza playable on the Halo 2 disk. That's one way to get people to try these games.

Deku Tree

WULFER said:
Yep, but Microsoft has three other games coming down the pipe to help out. They have Conker, Mech Assualt 2, and Forza playable on the Halo 2 disk. That's one way to get people to try these games.

I thought that rumor was proven false. Wasn't it?

Solid

Seems appropriate somehow :D

halo2wallpaper_ad01_1024.jpg

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
kitchenmotors said:
Isn't it a little dangerous for Microsoft to have everything riding on the Halo name? Especially if Bungie doesn't want to do another Halo or if members of the current Halo development team depart.

After the end of this Halo, I think we can all rest assured that there will be another Halo.

Prine

Banned
Nerevar said:
After the end of this Halo, I think we can all rest assured that there will be another Halo.

I doubt we'll see it untill the last years of Xenon. Bungie said no more Halo for the moment

Prine said:
I doubt we'll see it untill the last years of Xenon. Bungie said no more Halo for the moment

It damn well better be there for Holiday 2006 or there will be hell to pay! And Xenon will get smooshed by the PS3.

Although, I guess holiday 2007 is the real battleground. Given that PS3 will most likely be restricted by supply and the usual type of launch games in holiday 2006.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Didn't know where else to put this, so I just thought I'd mention it here - I saw an ad for Halo2 on the side of a bus in Dublin today. That's the first time I've ever seen a game ad on a bus..Microsoft really are going all out.

Timbuktu

kitchenmotors said:
Who will, Rare?

1.train.derail.jpg

Is that the train crash in England from last weekend? If so, then I have to say bad taste. Anyways, I think the franshise will lose steam if they go straight into a third installment for the sake of it. The same goes for Retro and the Metroid series, I doubt their next game will be Metroid Prime 3 unless they have a truly groundbreaking idea for it.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Timbuktu said:
Is that the train crash in England from last weekend?

Big fucking rolleyes, if your only upset over it happening recently in England.

quadriplegicjon said:
truth is.. its not really up to bungie. if MS wants a halo3, they are going to get it.

Bungie is really in the power position here. There are some, and Element can confirm, within Bungie that are not keen on doing Halo 3, so much so that they would walk if forced to do Halo 3 right away. Halo 3 at some future time, yes. Next game, nope.

Although a lot of that is kinda on Jones' shoulder as well, maybe he wants to do Halo 3 and just be done with it.

Of course, this is the week Bungie is supposed to find out how their royalty structure is supposed to work on Halo 2. MS doesn't give royalties, but again to appease Bungie they have decided to (which may or may not tweak the other teams, but with MSGS shrinking faster than Nintendo's third-party support, that's probably not going to be an issue).

MS has made quite a few concessions just for Bungie, that they don't even give to internal teams in other divisions. So it looks to me that Bungie is the one that wear the pants in this family.

Should be an interesting few weeks at MSGS.

Timbuktu said:
Is that the train crash in England from last weekend? If so, then I have to say bad taste. Anyways, I think the franshise will lose steam if they go straight into a third installment for the sake of it. The same goes for Retro and the Metroid series, I doubt their next game will be Metroid Prime 3 unless they have a truly groundbreaking idea for it.

Who knows, I just used the pic from another thread to get my point across. I didn't even know there was a train crash in England, I could care less right now, GAF is the real tradegy!!

This forum has the tear drops running like Niagra Falls at the moment.

puck1337 said:
That's been said about many a developer.

Well not many developers can say they are the ones that pretty much put a console by a company with little experiance on the map.

I am sure Sony treats Square with a lot of respect and gives them considerable leeway when it comes to fees and getting past Sony TRC.

Top Bottom