• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Larry Bird play in today's era of NBA

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
larry-bird-career-retrospective.jpg

I seen some argue that he wouldn't be athletic enough....how good do you think he would do in today's era in his prime

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He'd get smoked, but Id say an average player. There's no way he'd get 25-30 pts per game avg now.

His most effective play is a slow half court game, where his slow speed and inside/outside shooting can be lethal anywhere. Watch some 80s game and every team seemed to have some unfit or uncoordinated slogs which you'd never see now.

Problem is in modern day, players are faster, more up tempo game and every team has half their roster as 3pt long bombers too. When he played in the 80s, teams had maybe 1 long range shooter. Some didn't have any.

However, today's game is a lot more tame. Back then it was rougher. He would get way more free throws and at his 90% clip would probably add 5 pts alone per game.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Agreed. Taking one of the best players of all time, and asking if they can even play in the league is crazy.

Anyone playing today would have access to modern nutrition and training techniques also. He'd be more ripped. Bird in particular would be even better since his physique can be easily improved. He has incredible skill, drive, and baskeball IQ, which is the stuff that can't be easily improved.

MastAndo

For sure. He wasn't as unathletic as people remember, or they're remembering the version who was hobbled by a bad back. I know the comparison has been made before, but if Luka can be a star with a similar skillset/athletic ability, I don't see why Bird couldn't thrive in today's NBA. He might even be a better scorer today, given that "chuck 3's all game" wasn't a real gameplan back then. Add that to his bball IQ, prime trash talking abilities, better teammates, and no hand checking and he would be one of the top players in the league.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Agreed. Taking one of the best players of all time, and asking if they can even play in the league is crazy.

Anyone playing today would have access to modern nutrition and training techniques also. He'd be more ripped. Bird in particular would be even better since his physique can be easily improved. He has incredible skill, drive, and baskeball IQ, which is the stuff that can't be easily improved.
But that assumes (when doing time warp comparisons) a legacy player would amp up with modern day science and year round fitness, while back then athletes drank beer and got fat during off season.

It would be like saying would Lebron James be good in 1985 when it was rougher, players didn't care about fitness as much as there was worse medical gear and nutrition, and hardly any guys were ripped. Take James, make him lose 30 lbs of muscle, give him an off season gut to work off, and have him smoke in the lockeroom or drink booze during intermission.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

But that assumes (when doing time warp comparisons) a legacy player would amp up with modern day science and year round fitness, while back then athletes drank beer and got fat during off season.

It would be like saying would Lebron James be good in 1985 when it was rougher, players didn't care about fitness as much as there was worse medical gear and nutrition, and hardly any guys were ripped. Take James, make him lose 30 lbs of muscle, give him an off season gut to work off, and have him smoke in the lockeroom or drink booze during intermission.
I do assume they'd follow the modern training programs of whatever team they're on. It's kind of silly and uncharitable to hold them to the fitness technology from 30+ years ago for no reason.

They're some of the most competitive people alive. Of course they'd train hard. Everyone says his drive was unmatched.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I do assume they'd follow the modern training programs of whatever team they're on. It's kind of silly and uncharitable to hold them to the fitness technology from 30+ years ago for no reason.

They're some of the most competitive people alive. Of course they'd train hard. Everyone says his drive was unmatched.
These fun sports debates where player time warps to another era hinges on taking the player as is and guessing if he'd do good or bad in another era.

As opposed to taking a hall of fame player give him better food, fitness gear and doctors and boost him by x% to match.

Punished Miku

These fun sports debates where player time warps to another era hinges on taking the player as is and guessing if he'd do good or bad in another era.

As opposed to taking a hall of fame player give him better food, fitness gear and doctors and boost him by x% to match.
I never agreed to those rules lol.

I never agreed that Bruce Lee would just give up learning about fighting when that was literally his passion for his entire life. He'd train with all the modern people and watch all the modern MMA stuff.

Time capsule battles where people are frozen in carbonite and cannot ever evolve or learn are fundamentally unfair. Might as well take Lebron and strip away his physical advantage and put him in the 80s without modern fitness knowledge and tech. Same ridiculous experiment (imho).

Being in shape is the easy part. Of course Bird would be more ripped today. His strengths were in all the areas that are impossible to easily improve in.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

All that plus Bird might have had a longer career had he had access to more modern medicine, fitness, and nutrition from the start.

The worlds best surgeons are wizards are patching up and fixing the worlds best athletes. Maybe they could have done something to help his bone spurs and back problems? Assuming he’d have any given a lifetime of better medicine.

I think that’s why Larry Bird is a particularly difficult case to evaluate since he basically broke down.

Rival

Gold Member
Are people trolling saying that Larry Bird couldn’t play in today’s NBA? He’d be incredible. Before his back issues he was way more athletic than people might remember.

Arkam

Easily. The guy was legendary in his time. His rivalry with Magic was awesome. I remember watching his 3 pt competitions on tape and being floored by how great he was. Sure the game has changed a lot since then... but if Byrd were in his prime today he would have developed along with it.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads

but as MastAndo said

if Luka and Dirk can be stars, then no doubt Larry could as well?

highrider

Banned
Easily. Being athletic isn’t always about just speed, power and vertical leap. Larry was several moves ahead of everyone else and would be easily today. He went head up with some absolute beasts athletically. This is an outstanding analysis of him as a player.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
I would love to see NBA players today go up against the Detroit 5.

Isiah Thomas, Laimbeer, Mahorn, Rodman, Aguirre. Very few players could have comeout on top of that team. Jordan was one and Bird was the other.

Edit - Imagine a guy like Laimbeer playing today in the NBA. He would be ejected every game.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

This is a joke right? Larry Bird is probably the greatest forward to ever play the game and he'd be able to punk most players today with his skillset, trash talking and absolute killer instinct. And stop with the talk about him not being athletic. He played in a professional basketball league for 13 seasons. You don't run up and down a basketball court for more than a decade without being an athlete of sorts. And with the advances in sports medicine today he'd probably be better than he was at his prime.

This is the guy that scored 47 points in a game that he played using his left hand (he's right handed) because he was bored, so yeah, I think he'd be alright.

Larry Bird's famous 'left-handed game' for Celtics was 35 years ago today | RSN (nbcsports.com)
You should also check out this game between Boston and Portland during his last season. Bird had a triple double of 49 points, 14 rebounds and 12 assists while playing with chronic back pain.

Last edited:

Banned
Yes, he was a competitor and had the will and mindset to dominate.

we already have examples in today’s game with the joker and Luka(not athletic freaks).

Bird would have played longer too but the idiot wanted to build a fence around his property himself rather than hire someone. he finished the fence but broke his back finishing the job.

bender

What time is it?
His skillset transcends any era. If you say his game wouldn't translate because of his lack of athleticism you are as dumb as the talent evaluators and teams that passed up on Luka recently. Here is his wallet:

91V9vDYde6L._AC_SX522_.jpg

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
He's a top 10 player all time. You could plug him into any era and he would dominate.

Also GOAT trash talker:

"Chuck Person went by the nickname “Rifleman” and said he was “going bird hunting” when Indiana faced Boston on Christmas Day. So before the game, Bird said he had a present for Person. After releasing a 3-pointer in front of Person on Indiana’s bench, Bird turned and wished him a “merry f—ing Christmas.” The shot then went in."

Last edited:

The Pweep

Neo Member
Some bad mofos played in Birds era man. For me the 80's and 90's were the golden years of nba. And to poster above about Pistons, Laimbeer was a very smart player, knew how to bend the rules and would tow the line of only getting ejected in half his games (jk) dude played nearly every game in his career. 6th longest streak at one point.

Loki

Count of Concision
He'd get smoked, but Id say an average player. There's no way he'd get 25-30 pts per game avg now.

His most effective play is a slow half court game, where his slow speed and inside/outside shooting can be lethal anywhere. Watch some 80s game and every team seemed to have some unfit or uncoordinated slogs which you'd never see now.

Problem is in modern day, players are faster, more up tempo game and every team has half their roster as 3pt long bombers too. When he played in the 80s, teams had maybe 1 long range shooter. Some didn't have any.

However, today's game is a lot more tame. Back then it was rougher. He would get way more free throws and at his 90% clip would probably add 5 pts alone per game.

You're crazy. It's never been easier to score than today. Bird would be at 26-30 pts/9+ reb/7+ ast/50+% FG/60+% TS in his prime if he played today. He'd easily be the best player in the league.

Anyone that says no is wrong. Straight up.

Larry Bird was extremely skilled and had an insanely high basketball IQ.

People often forget how much more physical the game was when he played. Sure, you have more athletic players playing now but with how fouls are called now Bird would be shooting 10-15 free throws a night

highrider

Banned
If you don’t think he could I urge you not to share your thoughts about basketball, because you don’t comprehend the game.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

Yeah, but the game is pretty different, sometimes you can’t even look at someone without them calling a foul now.

Skill is skill and talent is talent. If Bird played today he would’ve been trained like so. He would have been as good if not better.

Last edited:
Bird would be better today than he was then. He had to run through multiple screens to get a decent shot back then. The NBA today is a league of spot up shooters standing around the 3-point line. Bird didn't miss a lot of spot up shots. He was a better shooter than Steph Curry.

He was one of the best conditioned players in the league back in his prime. That's according to everyone on his team and everyone who played him. Getting 10 rebounds per game takes athleticism, conditioning, and heart. He wore down opposing players mentally and physically. That's why he owned the 4th quarter.

He used to tell defenders what he was going to do to them on the next play. Where he was lining up, where he was going, and where he was shooting. Then he would do it. And they couldn't stop him.

He could post up, hit threes, and drive to the hoop. As good of a passer as Magic.

I was a Lakers fan back then. The Lakers were loaded top to bottom. Easily one of the greatest teams of all time. They could not handle Bird. They feared him more than any other player. If Bird couldn't play today, Magic couldn't either.

I would love to see NBA players today go up against the Detroit 5.

Isiah Thomas, Laimbeer, Mahorn, Rodman, Aguirre. Very few players could have comeout on top of that team. Jordan was one and Bird was the other.

Edit - Imagine a guy like Laimbeer playing today in the NBA. He would be ejected every game.

I agree with this. This is the thing -- while yes, sports medicine (nutrition, fitness, etc) is allowing athletes to be stronger and faster, that's being offset on the other side by some sports leagues becoming "softer" -- thinking specifically of the NBA and the NFL here. In fairness, there are legit reasons for some of the softening of the NFL (concussions, potential for long-term brain damage, etc).

But imagine dudes like LeBron (who's infamous for flopping), Steph Curry, etc, going up against '89 Detroit. They'd get straight up murdered. Or, hell, Bird's own mid-80s Celtics team were pretty physical. Even as late as the mid-90s, those New York teams of Ewing/Starks/Oakley were physical and dirty as hell.

Even then, removing the "physical" component -- as several have already stated here, these old school players just had a fantastic amount of Basketball IQ. And they had a winning mentality, wanting to win at all costs. The now famous anecdotes of Larry Bird, the very first thing he'd do every morning would be to check Magic Johnson's box score from the previous night -- holy shit, that's intense. Larry had an insane basketball acumen -- he could read the court easily, he could pass, he knew where and how to shoot almost all the time -- stuff that is (I would argue) more important than raw physicality. I would urge people to watch that HBO documentary with the Larry Bird vs Magic Johnson rivalry -- you could find it on YouTube.

Speaking of basketball IQ, there was a little segment in "The Last Dance" documentary that surprised me. I mean, from having grown up in the 90s rooting for the Bulls (who wasn't rooting them for them!?), I knew Rodman was a rebounding god. But to hear him in the documentary -- "If this player shoots the ball and it spins a certain way, it'll probably end up over there; if this other player shoots it with a certain arc, it's probably gonna go over there." That shit blew my fucking mind. The dude was clearly one of the greatest rebounders + defenders, but this documentary showed me that beyond the public persona, Rodman had a fantastically high Basketball IQ. (There's a clip in the documentary that shows him studying game tape, too.) The guy was, at that point, the absolute best at his specialty task.

Last edited:
Top Bottom