• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT3| Halo and Goodbye

Shane

Some good games last night. Won two and lost one. The one we lost was against a team with four smurfs. We lost 12-16 which was pretty good considering their true rank.

Been using the Nova more to defend sites when low on money; it sure rakes in the cash.

Do want to try this new map out. Will be on CS tonight.

Ludono

Sorry about yesterday. I knew I was too tired to play and towards the end just went full tilt. Won't happen again. I'm not playing if I'm that tired again.

giphy.gif

Anyone ever buy from Kinguin? They have Fallout 4 for €40.....

GRaider81

So I bought this yesterday as I wanted a good shooter for my fairly new PC and it doesn't dissapoint but I'm having difficulty.

Admittedly it's probably not the best game to play as a Noob but I'm really finding it hard to transition from a controller to M&K.

I think my main issue is my left hand on the keyboard in regards to crouching etc. Does anyone have any tips for playing FPSs in general with M&K? Any mouse button mapping tips?

I'm wanting to get both BO3 and BF for PC and want to use M&K. Failing that though just how much disadvantage is a controller in FPS games on PC?

Sorry a bit off topic but thought this would be a good place for some advice.

Uriah

So I bought this yesterday as I wanted a good shooter for my fairly new PC and it doesn't dissapoint but I'm having difficulty.

Admittedly it's probably not the best game to play as a Noob but I'm really finding it hard to transition from a controller to M&K.

I think my main issue is my left hand on the keyboard in regards to crouching etc. Does anyone have any tips for playing FPSs in general with M&K? Any mouse button mapping tips?

I'm wanting to get both BO3 and BF for PC and want to use M&K. Failing that though just how much disadvantage is a controller in FPS games on PC?

I use space for crouch and mouse wheel down for jump. And you would be at a huge disadvantage if you used a controller in CSGO. What sensitivity are you playing at?

Shane

Casually, a controller could be fine for personal preference. But for multiplayer - especially something like CS - a controller is a no-no.

You UK-based? I don't mind playing some Casual with you if you want some advice.

As for mapping, my hands shouldn't be moving. So here's what I have:
Sensitivity - 800 on mouse and 2 in-game (which I personally need to lower). You should have a large mouse space and an elbow movement each way should 180 degree spin.
Mouse1 - fire
Mouse2 - secondary (zoom/auto/etc)
MouseWheelUp - primary weapon
MouseWheelDown - pistol
Mouse4 - grenade cycle
Mouse5 - chat
Q - knife
E - use/buy
F4 - repeat buy
Shift - walk
Ctrl - crouch
Space - jump

Aim for the head. Take your time and aim. You'll die more at first but it'll begin to pay off.
Do not move and shoot (you can learn micro movements between shots as you improve). This is what catches beginners off the most.
Don't jump when getting shot.
Do not use the default cursor. Use the static one. Or download the community map that allows you to make your own. The cursor should not move/be reactive.

This game has a ton of depth. 600 hours in and I'm still learning weapon patterns and map angles.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?

You just gotta get used to it.

I would definitely recommend binding grenades to individual buttons
My settings are:

sens 0.95 at 800 dpi (same as 1.9 at 400 dpi)
F - flashbang ( I changed weapon inspection to T)
C - smoke
V - he grenade
Mouse 4 - molotov
Mouse 5 - voice chat
Mouse wheel up - jump

You need to lower your sensitivity. I don't know what your sens is but most new players tend to have ridiculiously high sensitivities. You should use something in the 1-4 range at 400 dpi, or better yet 1.5-3.5. Try to go as low as possible within that range. More than that is too high.

And just general tips:
1) Watch tutorials on Youtube on things like Crosshair Placement (very important), recoil control, grenade use, movement etc. I can recommend Adren, n0thing and for the newcomers warowl.
2) Talking about grenades. There are 3 different ways to throw a grenade ( Actually 5 but let's stick with 3 because it's easier to explain). Left click for long throw, right click for close throw and left and right click for a medium throw.
3) Try to understand how the economy works and when to eco and when to force buy
4) Change the default crosshair to something better
5) Learn how to set up a userconfig
6) Just watch streams of the pro players and try to pick some things up
7) And the things Shane already listed.

baby

I would definitely recommend binding grenades to individual buttons
My settings are:

sens 0.95 at 800 dpi (same as 1.9 at 400 dpi)
F - flashbang ( I changed weapon inspection to T)
C - smoke
V - he grenade
Mouse 4 - molotov
Mouse 5 - voice chat
Mouse wheel up - jump

wow, your f c and v are the same ones i used in 1.6

our jump is the same too which is weird because most people seem to use mwheeldown.

Ludono

I don't understand how people can use the mousewheel to jump, just feels so weird for me :p

Also here's a steam key, please someone redeem it :)

W7GT0-XFYRE-NNFCJ

Ludono

Bethesda may remove your game if they feel like it. They did so for people who bought Elder Scrolls Online from grey market sellers.

Not worth the risk then, I can wait for it to hit sub-40 on sale sometime. Not too much time for gaming what with finals in a few weeks and then winter holidays :D

Iorv3th

Got the game when it came out but haven't really played much. Got into this past weekend and watched some videos etc to try and get better. I do what I feel is maybe ok for my skill level or time playing.

Is there a GAF group to join and play with or do you guys not play with noobs?

Played my first competitive game last night and had a teammate that backed out before the match began so we lost.

I'm in the US and mostly play afternoon/evenings.

SteamID: D3adcell

You need to lower your sensitivity. I don't know what your sens is but most new players tend to have ridiculiously high sensitivities. You should use something in the 1-4 range at 400 dpi, or better yet 1.5-3.5. Try to go as low as possible within that range. More than that is too high.

Thanks I will try that when I get home. I think my sensitivity I have been turning up it's almost 7.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
wow, your f c and v are the same ones i used in 1.6

our jump is the same too which is weird because most people seem to use mwheeldown.

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah wheel up just feels more intuitive to me. I jump up, so it would make sense to scroll up as well.

Thanks I will try that when I get home. I think my sensitivity I have been turning up it's almost 7.

You'll probably have troubles getting used to it at first but you just have to play and eventually you'll get used to it.

Just as an orientation on how to move your arm with a low sens
https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/2pwf3y/as_a_silver_i_was_flipping_out/cn0spi5

If you decide you want to just use a controller, here's my set-up. Works really well.

A - Jump
B - Reload
X - Use/Bomb Plant/Door Open
Y - Switch Weapon
LB - Equipment/Knife
RB - 180 spin
LT - Crouch
RT - Fire
Left Stick - Walk
Right stick - Secondary Fire (Scope, Back Knife, Burst Fire)
D Pad Up- Inspect Weapon
D Pad Right - Push to talk
D Pad Left - Vote yes
D Pad Down - Drop weapon

MayMay

Banned

Do NOT play with a controller, playing CS with a controller puts you at a HUGE disadvantage no matter how you spin it.

So if you ever want to actually be good at the game - dont even get used to one.

That said, playing other fps on PC with a controller is not that big of a problem due to aim assist etc. But CS.. yeah. Better get used to kb&m from the getgo

NotOmega

Banned
If you decide you want to just use a controller, here's my set-up. Works really well.

A - Jump
B - Reload
Y - Switch Weapon
LB - Equipment/Knife
RB - 180 spin
LT - Crouch
RT - Fire
Left Stick - Walk
D Pad Up- Inspect Weapon
D Pad Left - Vote yes
D Pad Down - Drop weapon
You're a retard.

udiie

A - Jump
B - Reload
Y - Switch Weapon
LB - Equipment/Knife
RB - 180 spin
LT - Crouch
RT - Fire
Left Stick - Walk
D Pad Up- Inspect Weapon
D Pad Left - Vote yes
D Pad Down - Drop weapon

I0tS4pB.gif

baby

Well, the ESEA LAN finals are always in NA. U can always wait for them to atten- oh wait. :"D

since the partnership with esl, esea lans are now only in na every other season (i think? last season was in eu) and they are no longer the cool small event they used to be

Divius

gg eu gaf, the back to back aces on cache were sick :3
Yo those aces were amazing.

Knew it was a smart play to drop you the AK, chinzo ;)

I started out fine on both maps (maybe even topfragging for a while on both games wtf?) but for some reason in the later parts of the game I just seem to lose it. For example, I got 14 frags on that cache game in 8 rounds, and then ended the game on 17 frags? wtf.

Felt really good to get some good plays (4k & 3k) on overpass in the last few rounds that felt like I actually contributed something.

cHinzo

Yo those aces were amazing.

Knew it was a smart play to drop you the AK, chinzo ;)

I started out fine on both maps (maybe even topfragging for a while on both games wtf?) but for some reason in the later parts of the game I just seem to lose it. For example, I got 14 frags on that cache game in 8 rounds, and then ended the game on 17 frags? wtf.

Felt really good to get some good plays (4k & 3k) on overpass in the last few rounds that felt like I actually contributed something.

That graph is beautiful. Thank god u made those kills on Overpass btw, that game was boring as fck.

a5ade93037.png

IEM San Jose incoming!

Anyone wanna buy my Premium IEM San Jose tickets? Don't really feel like going anymore if Ninjas aren't gonna be there. If I wanted to see the Bottom Tier 1 and below teams play I'll just go to a different event.

Top Bottom