• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CounterSpy |OT| Spies like us

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I was all ready to go but then seen there was a timer on PS4 to unlock around 1pm EST in the US. I think devs need to just start releases this pre-load eligible stuff when the clock hits midnight. I get stuff like embargo's but that could be adjusted to meet the soonest midnight time zone that the game hits. So it would be 12 EST.

Lemondish

Reviews so far are making me glad I waited. I'll check back and read some impressions from you guys tomorrow. Not counting it out just yet...

Cha

Sounds good to me. Only thing that I'm a little concerned about is the titbit at the end of the written review that says that the Vita's framerate "can be less than desirable". Not sure what to make of that. Does that mean it has slight dips once in a while, or is it Assassins Creed:Liberation levels of framerate issues? :/
Will wait for some Vita impressions in this thread before I get this.

EDIT:Seems like Hardcoregamer has the answer.
Hardcore Gamer - 3/5
While noticeable, frustrating load times persist across each iteration, the Vita version suffers from perhaps the longest loading periods of any game on the handheld. When a level eventually loads, players will be met with an inconsistent framerate that can chop for up to sixty seconds at a time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
shit, why did I not notice it was cross platform and cross-buy? preordered the US version on PS4 but that means I can't get the vita version as I have a UK account. Arse.

Still should be able to play it via remoteplay though, so not the end of the world (except when my son hogs the PS4)

Vitor711

Yeah, always thought the art style looked fantastic but the videos of the actual gameplay (especially the shooting) looked extremely clunky and hitchy. For a PS4 game, there was a weird lack of smoothness on a lot of angles which looked like technical cut backs and not an artistic decision.

Shame. Just picked up a Vita and was looking for a game when I travel. Guess I'll just delve into my PSN+ backlog instead.

eshwaaz

Dang. Not the reviews I was hoping for, but the reviews I somewhat expected. Pre-paid, so I'll
be playing it tonight regardless.

codhand

whew, that stealth
spyshita8xtq.gif

Vitor711

whew, that stealth
spyshita8xtq.gif

To be fair, if noone saw you and you were fast enough to take them out before they noticed what was going on, I'd still count it as stealth.

Always hate it when games would instantly reveal you when you pulled the trigger and alert all enemies as if they were psychically linked.

Letep

I preloaded this on to my Vita last night, but didn't notice a patch update.

I thought I read about a patch yesterday.

Either way, I'm excited for it.

lt519

Sounds buggy to the point where you can't even compensate for bad design. But I do love the art style so it should be worth throwing a few hours into. Hopefully they can patch in some of the stealth breaking bugs. Also from VentureBeat review on the bugs:

Just realize that — like the population of the ’50s and ’60s world — your life is always at the mercy of stupid things outside of your control.

codhand

Cover works well as does shooting. Played three levels and had fun. Lots of hidden areas to find. Really nice menus and presentation. Awesome music. Great visuals. Cool animations.

If I got shot off-screen, there was usually a better option for cover or area from which to stage an attack that I would find after a firefight. Besting a Friend's score challenge was a neat touch.

I'll update when I can play more.

Nick_C

Cover works well as does shooting. Played three levels and had fun. Lots of hidden areas to find. Really nice menus and presentation. Awesome music. Great visuals. Cool animations.

If I got shot off-screen, there was usually a better option for cover or area from which to stage an attack that I would find after a firefight. Besting a Friend's score challenge was a neat touch.

I'll update when I can play more.

My thoughts exactly. It's a fun game, and I don't regret my pre-order at all. Granted I've only been playing for a little under an hour.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
So frustrating...

Waited for reviews, because I suspected it was an average title. And by the looks of things, yeah, it is, but still could be a bit of fun.

Now I'm ready to put down the money for the Plus Discounted Price, but Sony slammed that door shut, and is now flipping me off and pointing at the full price tag.

Well fuck you too, Sony. And this game.

Plus Discounts as pre-order incentive need to go away.

Morts

So frustrating...

Waited for reviews, because I suspected it was an average title. And by the looks of things, yeah, it is, but still could be a bit of fun.

Now I'm ready to put down the money for the Plus Discounted Price, but Sony slammed that door shut, and is now flipping me off and pointing at the full price tag.

I didn't realize the Plus discount was for preorders only. I could've sworn it was there like two hours ago, but it's go e now. That's some bullshit.

So frustrating...

The discount is pre-order only?

Hmm, guess I'll pass for now then. Not too long until First Light and Metro hit anyway.

whew, that stealth
spyshita8xtq.gif

They were all killed before they could alert anybody.

I thought Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Dishonored both finally put the whole 'stealth is only legit when you're forced to ghost your way through the game' argument to bed.

Any impressions from GAFers who have played the game? From the reviews, it seems it falls into the 7/10 range, where games have cool ideas and pretty good fundamentals, but lack that extra layer of polish. Or the 'EGM Silver' range as I've called it since childhood.

So frustrating...

I thought Sony made it pretty clear that's how this whole PLAY 2014 thing worked. Pretty much every game said '20% off pre-order' or something.

Gxgear

So frustrating...

Was in the same boat as you, pre-ordered it at the retail price anyways. I plan to take it up with Sony customer service.

It clearly says pre-order price, not before release date. My transaction indicates pre-order. Should have gotten it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So frustrating...

That sucks. Usually PS+ Discounts are for the first week. I figured only the Play promotion was related to preorders.

Salz01

Played a couple of levels so far. PS4. Seems great. Hidden areas, and some multiple paths. Hope it can keep introducing new enemies or levels, because I can see it wearing thin the longer you play this.

JLeack

Banned
Any impressions from GAFers who have played the game? From the reviews, it seems it falls into the 7/10 range, where games have cool ideas and pretty good fundamentals, but lack that extra layer of polish. Or the 'EGM Silver' range as I've called it since childhood.

It started off strong to me but slowly got worse. After the second hour it was super frustrating. The game has some broken design that causes you to fail even when it's not your fault.

Been playing for three hours straight. Really enjoying it. Haven't read the reviews (and likely won't) but I'm surprised at the scores I've seen on this page.

That sucks. Usually PS+ Discounts are for the first week. I figured only the Play promotion was related to preorders.
It's the other way around. You build towards the PSN credit as long as you buy before the 26th(?), but only pre-orders got the straight-up discount.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Dropped Diablo 3 for a minute to check this out. Played tutorial mission and almost raged out when I couldn't invert aim in options mid-mission. Thankfully quitting out to the main menu lets you do it.

Not bad so far otherwise. Tutorial was simple but kind of fun. The aiming reticle NEEDS to be a different color for us colorblind folks. The orange-ish yellow ring is totally lost in the environment for me and its cost me a few missed shots.

5taquitos

Played a few missions on my Vita during my lunch break today, so here are a few of my early impressions. I've been really enjoying it so far, despite some issues. Obviously these may not apply to all versions.

Pros:
*Fun combat - This is likely to be the most contentious point about this game, but I personally like the way combat works. The cover system gives me Time Crisis vibes, and the controls work well on the Vita sticks. I still think the 2D/3D combination works very well.
*Style - Looks and sounds great, obvious influences but still fun.
*Rewards exploring - While exploration has been fairly easy so far, and there's not much to it yet, I've enjoyed finding those hidden ledges and vents.

Cons:
*Horrendous loading times - I'm pretty sure this is a Vita-specific problem, but nothing makes a quick gamebreak during lunch more aggravating than spending half of it looking at a loading screen.
*Jank - There is a fair amount of it on the Vita version, from movement to combat to ragdoll physics. Nothing too jarring yet, for me at least, but its ever-present.
*Off-screen enemy indicators - Maybe I'm just not used to them yet, but it's very difficult for me to parse off-screen enemies based on their indicators.

Pretty basic impressions, but I've been enjoying it so far and don't see myself quitting before the end. Looking forward to playing the PS4 version when I eventually get one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's a huge amount of fun, the graphics are simple but the style is great and the levels have a lot of depth - really is like a souled up Rolling Thunder. The Cold War theme works really well too - the Soviet levels are really evocative.

It is very short though, and not very difficult on the default difficulty (I actually don't remember having a difficulty setting until the second time through so it might be fixed initially?). I had to use one continue as I messed up right at the last moment and ended up running like a crazy person for the end of the level. That is fun too because it is a big change of pace from the normal stealth approach.

The ending is very abrupt too, when it comes.

Personally it is my kind of game and I enjoyed playing it. I might replay it again but I don't think it'll stay on my PS4 for very long.

I think it has a ton of polish and plays really well. It is just too short and the 'random' nature of the levels doesn't really have that much variety. This was the PS4 version. Load times were fine and I didn't notice any bugs at all.

tusken77

It's a huge amount of fun, the graphics are simple but the style is great and the levels have a lot of depth - really is like a souled up Rolling Thunder. The Cold War theme works really well too - the Soviet levels are really evocative.

It is very short though, and not very difficult on the default difficulty (I actually don't remember having a difficulty setting until the second time through so it might be fixed initially?). I had to use one continue as I messed up right at the last moment and ended up running like a crazy person for the end of the level. That is fun too because it is a big change of pace from the normal stealth approach.

The ending is very abrupt too, when it comes.

Personally it is my kind of game and I enjoyed playing it. I might replay it again but I don't think it'll stay on my PS4 for very long.

I think it has a ton of polish and plays really well. It is just too short and the 'random' nature of the levels doesn't really have that much variety. This was the PS4 version. Load times were fine and I didn't notice any bugs at all.

How many difficulty levels are there?

Top Bottom