• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CourtRivals Season 3 thread! Starts July 23rd

Season 3 GAF MVP

Results are only viewable after voting.
TNT would like to present Nominees for Season 3 MOST VALUABLE PLAYER :D
(stats up to date. all-around candidates to be presented tomorrow.)
bumping for new page. thx ace!:D
20ueceu.jpg

I would say FU but it's partially true. He can get to the rim but once he's there he turns into Kwame. Can't explain.

He's the greatest slasher ever...too bad he can't finish...

Meier

viakado said:
some of you are biased-sonsofabitches.
Nah, I actually thought he was the MVP. Almost averaging 9 dimes a game is huge in this game.

I ended up voting for Pistol Pete since cyborg deserves it (PP is a legit option either way).

Jax > Maravich

But Price average 8.8 quality apg on .9 quality TO per game. He also had great leadership and defense. Price > Maravich and I'd probably take him over Jax (although it's really close... Jax was very consistent throughout the season. His 3 point shooting was amazing).

Maravich is proof that point production is overvalued. Not to say he wasn't good. He has the most training points of anyone in the league, so he's way more than just a scorer. But his stats don't support him for MVP. I would've liked to see one of the defensive/rebounding big men get a nod. Instead, all the MVP candidates are high scorers.

serious business

Enron

Banned
OpinionatedCyborg said:
Jax > Maravich

But Price average 8.8 quality apg on .9 quality TO per game. He also had great leadership and defense. Price > Maravich and I'd probably take him over Jax (although it's really close... Jax was very consistent throughout the season. His 3 point shooting was amazing).

Maravich is proof that point production is overvalued. Not to say he wasn't good. He has the most training points of anyone in the league, so he's way more than just a scorer. But his stats don't support him for MVP. I would've liked to see one of the defensive/rebounding big men get a nod. Instead, all the MVP candidates are high scorers.

serious business

It's hard to value defense. For instance, Roy's defense is somewhere in the 120s now plus a lvl 2 player chemistry which gives him a defensive bonus on top of that, but yet is set to not take chances and get back on defense. Defense holds down the opponents scoring, but its impossible to know just how much a high def. player is affecting that, especially if his sliders are set to play conservative D and not take chances (go for steals).

Branduil

Enron said:
Not yet. You got someone in mind? We might have to replace N-Bomb as well.
Have you already talked to the GAF people who aren't currently with a team or a complete team?

I might be willing to buy a player credit to temporarily help us out...

Branduil

It doesn't matter, I just needed to make the new players before tonight so it would count as another season for them.

Probably better to wait until after tonight since their stats are terrible right now. With the reset they'll be much closer.

alright bitches, turn in your votes for DPoY award.
pick two players.
1st vote gets 2 points.
2nd vote gets 1 point.
player with most points gets the DPoY award.

if i get a most of the votes in. i'll announce the winner tonight.

Maravich exploded for 34 points and 10 rebounds tonight. It was against crappy competition, but for some reason that doesn't make a difference a lot of the time.

http://www.courtrivals.com/showPlayerProfile.php?pid=6400
9/6/2008 14 - 27 4 - 10 2 - 3 10 0 1 0 0 34

Price had a decent game too. He was a great distributor as usual, but his shooting sucked. 13 assists and 1 turnover.
9/6/2008 0 - 5 0 - 2 0 - 0 0 13 2 0 1 0
He's now averaging 8.9 quality assists per game this season, which is 15th in the entire Court Rivals league.

1st pick: Reggie Fils-Aime

Reggie needs some love.

17.6 rebounds per game and 2.7 blocks. The man's a pure beast. Once he got rolling, he had stretches of 5 - 6 games where he averaged 25+ rebounds per game.

http://www.courtrivals.com/showPlayerProfile.php?pid=6676

2nd pick... hmm it's between Tarpley and Booth.

On one hand, Tarpley is a more efficient scorer, and that is helpful to a team's defense because scores give the team time to get back on defense. He also was a marginally better rebounder and turned the ball over less. On the other, Booth is nearly equal to Tarpley in all categories, but far exceeds him in one: steals. 3.4 to 1.1. It's a difference in defensive philosphy. Tarpley plays 100% conservative defense and Booth plays 64% gambling (omg I'm leaking secrets).

Since I have no faith in this sim, I'm going to pick Booth. I recall reading a few posts on the messageboards about how defense doesn't actually limit another team's scoring opportunities - it just increases your own. If that really is the case, the game is fundamentally broken.

Anyway, it's a close call, but Booth because I loved watching him get 8 steals in a game.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Jerome James first...
Then big Reggie

People don't know that Jerome pretty much coordinated the defense for the entire season.

Enron

Banned
Reggie is DPOY. As a coach/GM, my vote should count twice!

ACEN finishes 31-14!

I finish my tenure as coach/GM with a 43-17 record, for a 71.67 winning percentage! Them's Hall-worthy numbers!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Everyone take notice - the stat roll back just went down, time to start everything back up!

Birdman02

Enron said:
Reggie is DPOY. As a coach/GM, my vote should count twice!

ACEN finishes 31-14!

I finish my tenure as coach/GM with a 43-17 record, for a 71.67 winning percentage! Them's Hall-worthy numbers!

You forgot the most important number....2 straight GAF championships!!!

woodchuck

for most of the season, booth actually was at 20% take chances on defense. that's when he had the huge steals (like 6 or 8 per game).

DCX is controlling Booth now. it's weird though. he's at 60% take chances and now he's only getting 1 or 2 steals per game.

but Reggie is easily DPoY.

Booth should be in contention for all-around though. he had two near triple-doubles.

Meier

Booth was a pimp down the stretch, good stuff. Reggie had another 25 rebound night with 3 blocks.. just a beast. Nice to see Noel go off for 25 as well to close out the season.

ACEN, 2 time GAF champion, is currently accepting applications at the positions of: shooting guard and small forward. However, we are interested in all kinds of players. Send me a message if you're interested (or just post here).

pilonv1

even if youre starting from scratch, would be good to get another gaffer on board.

maybe x-post this in the nba thread?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Don't mind an ad for Court Rivals in the NBA thread.. just keep the banter here

SyNapSe

I made a forward (center) two weeks ago. I got up to 470's before this rollback mostly building as a major blocking minor rebounding build. One thing that bothered me was looking at the top teams almost all of the 7'+ guys were major strength rebounding and didn't seem to do much else.

It's been pretty fun so far, I wish I could get my guy to listen to what I want him to do a bit more. Even with 100% attack the basket and 75% pass more my guy shot 2-11 last game mostly on "turnaround jumpers". He did get his 14 bounds and 6 blocks at least. Our team finished with 6 straight wins and that was fun.

I created a pass first pg tonight to see what that's like.

we have a tie for mvp? that's not a good thing. its like sharing the same girl in the wrong kind of 3some.

btw, i don't have enough votes to conclude a winner for DPoY award. :/

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I want in this season. I trained a player through 3/4 of last season thinking when you guys were done I could just jump in with my guy. And then the stats reset. What a waste of my time. :(

Top Bottom