• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dr John talks about the numbers for natural immunity and its relation to the vaccination rollout timeline, lockdowns, and other safety countermeasures. Interesting analysis.

Bret Weinstein's latest YouTube video has been pulled now, though his channel is still up.

I would appreciate being treated like I'm smart enough to make up my own mind about what to inject in my own body. I just have this sinking feeling :messenger_anguished:

edit: I guess it feels extra insulting because I was paying YouTube subscription money for the privilege :messenger_hushed:

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Dr. Byram Bridle in front of the Canadian parliament today

A rare glimpse into what's going on with the communist medical syndicate here. Guy also happens to be Jesse Pinkman.

Full video here

The issue with ivermectin is that, if it does work, it's nowhere near as effective as its proponents claim it is. As of yet, the quality of evidence is poor but the analytical studies that we do have show no evidence of reduced mortality with using ivermectin on its own. Will it work in combination with other drugs? Possibly. We are still awaiting high quality studies. But it's a bit much to accuse accuse doctors of "letting people die" for not using a drug that has no evidence behind it. The supply of the drug is limited. It should be reserved for indications that is is proven to work against.

Last edited:
The issue with ivermectin is that, if it does work, it's nowhere near as effective as its proponents claim it is. As of yet, the quality of evidence is poor but the analytical studies that we do have show no evidence of reduced mortality with using ivermectin on its own. Will it work in combination with other drugs? Possibly. We are still awaiting high quality studies. But it's a bit much to accuse accuse doctors of "letting people die" for not using a drug that has no evidence behind it. The supply of the drug is limited. It should be reserved for indications that is is proven to work against.
You may be right. It still shouldn’t be pulled down by some bunch of overzealous tech assholes. Those two videos were government proceedings. I don’t care what was said. Government proceedings should NEVER be censored. What the hell is going here?

vpance

The drug is super cheap to make. If they wanted to they could gear up and make a lot more.

Even if it was 1/10th as effective as some of these studies in favor of it are saying, why aren't we treating patients with it? At worst it does nothing. Anything to save a life, right? Instead the only answers are, go home, come to the hospital if you're almost dead (after which they put you on a ventilator death trap), or get a vaccine. Seems stupid.

The alarm on ivermectin was raised a long time ago last year. But nothing has been done and docs like Kory are the ones left to push the needle in interest in getting studies done and whatnot in the face of massive censorship.

I just don’t understand why it’s being censored. It makes zero sense to me. At worst people are getting some bad advice about a drug with a very mild risk profile. At worst.

At best it could save a lot of people’s lives. How is that something that is being censored? The tech giants allow fat positivity. Healthy at any size. They allow all kinds of health nonsense. Fuck off with the idea they care about public health misinformation.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
The drug is super cheap to make. If they wanted to they could gear up and make a lot more.

Even if it was 1/10th as effective as some of these studies in favor of it are saying, why aren't we treating patients with it? At worst it does nothing. Anything to save a life, right? Instead the only answers are, go home, come to the hospital if you're almost dead (after which they put you on a ventilator death trap), or get a vaccine. Seems stupid.

The alarm on ivermectin was raised a long time ago last year. But nothing has been done and docs like Kory are the ones left to push the needle in interest in getting studies done and whatnot in the face of massive censorship.

I don't know if its even 1/10th. The evidence really hasn't shown any benefit at this moment for ivermectin, but like I said - the studies have been of poor quality.

That isn't how really medicine works. "Anything to save a life" doesn't mean do anything and everything, regardless of what the evidence shows. Our hospitals and pharmacies can't stock up on useless treatments just because of some internet fad. Yesterday it was hydroxychloroquine. Today its ivermectin. We'll see how ivermectin turns out when we have more studies, but hydroxychloroquine proved to be useless.

It may seem stupid to you, but the reality is that taking a vaccine is the best thing you can do to protect yourself from COVID. Unfortunately, there really aren't many treatments available at the moment that can prevent hospitalization and serious illness in COVID19. There's probably no harm in taking Vitamin D/Vitamin C, but I wouldn't rely on those when there are highly effective vaccines available. If it gets to the point where you need to be hospitalized, there's a lot that can usually be done before you get put on a "death trap". Hospital mortality rates are far lower now than they were in the beginning of the pandemic.

There are actually are trials ongoing looking at Ivermectin. You should look into the TOGETHER trial. Interestingly, the P.I. of that trial is not a big fan of Kory. I don't think anyone thats actually seriously looking into this appreciates the type of attention he's bringing to it.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
You may be right. It still shouldn’t be pulled down by some bunch of overzealous tech assholes. Those two videos were government proceedings. I don’t care what was said. Government proceedings should NEVER be censored. What the hell is going here?

Fair enough, although these weren't government proceedings.

Airola

hydroxychloroquine proved to be useless.

Useless?

A Finnish company is currently making a drug that has both ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine (along with aprotin) as its active substances.

Raven117

Dr. Byram Bridle in front of the Canadian parliament today

A rare glimpse into what's going on with the communist medical syndicate here. Guy also happens to be Jesse Pinkman.

Full video here

So, a private company has pulled a video on a PUBLIC hearing?

fuck this. We should all be way way more upset about this than we are. This is how we lose control of a country.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Useless?

A Finnish company is currently making a drug that has both ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine (along with aprotin) as its active substances.

It doesn't matter how many companies develop drugs with it or apply for patents, it was clinically useless on its own for treating COVID-19. There are other treatments that have been shown to actually be effective.

It doesn't matter how many companies develop drugs with it or apply for patents, it was clinically useless on its own for treating COVID-19. There are other treatments that have been shown to actually be effective.
In a now removed video the argument is made that a cocktail of drugs could be effective at attacking the virus similar to how effective HIV treatments were developed. I wouldn’t rule any out any drug as a component of an effective treatment because it’s not 100% effective on its own.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Useless?

Good luck to them I guess? Maybe it'll work as a nasal spray. Haven't seen any data on that though. In its currently used form, HCQ was/is useless for COVID19.

Last edited:

Airola

Good luck to them I guess? Maybe it'll work as a nasal spray. Haven't seen any data on that though. In its currently used form, HCQ was/is useless for COVID19.

I mean, they were on to something when its usefulness was talked about. There clearly is something in hydroxychloroquine that works.

Maybe if certain substances weren't politicised and even censored to hell and back people could've been worked on things like this a lot faster.

xrnzaaas

I just don’t understand why it’s being censored. It makes zero sense to me. At worst people are getting some bad advice about a drug with a very mild risk profile. At worst.

At best it could save a lot of people’s lives. How is that something that is being censored? The tech giants allow fat positivity. Healthy at any size. They allow all kinds of health nonsense. Fuck off with the idea they care about public health misinformation.
You're supposed to think what the media and the corporations tell you to think, there's no room for taking a moment to look at the pros and cons or to listen to what alternative (credbile) sources have to say. There are billions in play here for the world's elite to take from the middle and lower class. We've lead to a situation in which all of the biggest media outlets act the same way and anything going against making them richer will be immediately censored & deleted.

I hope that didn't sound like a conspiracy loon post, that's just the way the world works. There are no good guys here, the biggest players are only concerned about multipling their wealth.

llien

Curevac, another German mRNA vaccine, failed to deliver.
It is easier to handle and what not, but has shown efficacy of only 47%.

This is about "contracting the virus" efficacy, not misleading "not gonna die in hospital".

On the other hand, US Novavax claims 90%+.

All that against "vanilla" C19, impact of mutations vary substantially between vaccines.

Court battle EU vs AZ is over, both sides claim victory. Ruling ordered AZ to deliver promised jabs by September this year or pay 10 euro per jab not delivered.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I mean, they were on to something when its usefulness was talked about. There clearly is something in hydroxychloroquine that works.

Maybe if certain substances weren't politicised and even censored to hell and back people could've been worked on things like this a lot faster.
No, there isn't. Every single RCT and systematic review that has looked at HCQ has failed to show any effect. I posted about this extensively in 2020. I feel like I keep having this exact same discussion every few months.

The only reason HCQ had any proponents was because it was politicized. The science is unanimous:

Hydroxychloroquine in patients with mainly mild to moderate coronavirus disease 2019: open label, randomised controlled trial (bmj.com)
Hydroxychloroquine with or without Azithromycin in Mild-to-Moderate Covid-19 | NEJM
Hydroxychloroquine in Nonhospitalized Adults With Early COVID-19: A Randomized Trial: Annals of Internal Medicine: Vol 173, No 8 (acpjournals.org)
Repurposed antiviral drugs for COVID-19 –interim WHO SOLIDARITY trial results | medRxiv
A Randomized Trial of Hydroxychloroquine as Postexposure Prophylaxis for Covid-19 | NEJM
Efficacy and Safety of Hydroxychloroquine vs Placebo for Pre-exposure SARS-CoV-2 Prophylaxis Among Health Care Workers: A Randomized Clinical Trial | Infectious Diseases | JAMA Internal Medicine | JAMA Network
A Cluster-Randomized Trial of Hydroxychloroquine for Prevention of Covid-19 | NEJM

Last edited:

Airola

No, there isn't. Every single RCT and systematic review that has looked at HCQ has failed to show any effect. I posted about this extensively in 2020. I feel like I keep having this exact same discussion every few months.

The only reason HCQ had any proponents was because it was politicized. The science is unanimous:

Hydroxychloroquine in patients with mainly mild to moderate coronavirus disease 2019: open label, randomised controlled trial (bmj.com)
Hydroxychloroquine with or without Azithromycin in Mild-to-Moderate Covid-19 | NEJM
Hydroxychloroquine in Nonhospitalized Adults With Early COVID-19: A Randomized Trial: Annals of Internal Medicine: Vol 173, No 8 (acpjournals.org)
Repurposed antiviral drugs for COVID-19 –interim WHO SOLIDARITY trial results | medRxiv
A Randomized Trial of Hydroxychloroquine as Postexposure Prophylaxis for Covid-19 | NEJM
Efficacy and Safety of Hydroxychloroquine vs Placebo for Pre-exposure SARS-CoV-2 Prophylaxis Among Health Care Workers: A Randomized Clinical Trial | Infectious Diseases | JAMA Internal Medicine | JAMA Network
A Cluster-Randomized Trial of Hydroxychloroquine for Prevention of Covid-19 | NEJM

I understand that on its own and in the way it has been given to people it hasn't been effective.

My point is that they have made their studies and found it to be effective to use in this certain drug. Maybe it's the combination of the three substances, or maybe it's the way it's applied and to where it's applied. But it's not as if they've just included it into this new drug with zero reason and purpose.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I understand that on its own and in the way it has been given to people it hasn't been effective.

My point is that they have made their studies and found it to be effective to use in this certain drug. Maybe it's the combination of the three substances, or maybe it's the way it's applied and to where it's applied. But it's not as if they've just included it into this new drug with zero reason and purpose.

Where are these studies? All theyve done is applied for a patent. I don't see any evidence that they've even studied this. A news story from May 6th has the CEO admitting that they have yet to start any clinical trials.

Last edited:

Airola

Where are these studies? All theyve done is applied for a patent. I don't see any evidence that they've even studied this. A news story from May 6th has the CEO admitting that they have yet to start any clinical trials.

Here's a news article from January (it's about two different projects, one of which is this nasal spray and the other is a protein vaccine):

They've tested it on animals and that has had very promising results.
Translated through Google translate:
"Kalle Saksela, professor of virology at the University of Helsinki, says that the nasal spray vaccine developed in Finland has already received very promising research results in animal experiments, which have shown that it provides significantly more effective protection against the coronavirus than traditional intramuscular vaccines."

Sure, I guess it's not guaranteed to work as well on humans and maybe I'm jumping the gun here a bit (and maybe I'm even a bit biased too since this specific thing has been developed in the city I live in), but it's very promising.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

something irks me about this guy going around acting like science is some sort of dogma. "well the science says ..." so? what does that even mean? science by definition is ever changing. science right now says the mRNA vaccines are super safe. does that mean it will be true forever? no. at one time the science said plaquenil and remdesivir helped with covid, and where are we now?

but yes right now if ur wearing a mask outside you're doing it due to peer pressure/virtue signaling for obvious reasons. people just trying to fit in with their tribe

Last edited:

pel1300

something irks me about this guy going around like science is some sort of dogma. "well the science says ..." so? science by definition is ever changing. science right now says the mRNA vaccines are super safe. does that mean it will be true forever? no. at one time the science said plaquenil and remdesivir helped with covid, and where are we now?
Holyshit....the lack of self-awareness in this post is staggering. He is literally co-opting the "The science says" talking points that the other side were using to argue for more lock downs, distancing, masking, etc the past 13 months. You're just hearing it being said to your side for once.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Holyshit....the lack of self-awareness in this post is staggering. He is literally co-opting the "The science says" talking points that the other side were using to argue for more lock downs, distancing, masking, etc the past 13 months. You're just hearing it being said to your side for once.

I don't think science tells us anything about those things. I'm team both sides btw

BadBurger

In a now removed video the argument is made that a cocktail of drugs could be effective at attacking the virus similar to how effective HIV treatments were developed. I wouldn’t rule any out any drug as a component of an effective treatment because it’s not 100% effective on its own.

I'm not really caught up on antiretroviral therapy, but from what I understand treating HIV is a completely different beast than treating COVID-19. At the end of the day COVID-19 is just another SARS, though obviously with further reaching symptoms and harm, so it's actually more apt to look at the same kinds of antiviral and steroid treatments already used for existing SARS. So, various antiparasitic treatments and immune suppression probably isn't the way to go. But who knows, we'll see as time goes on.

Last edited:
I'm not really caught up on antiretroviral therapy, but from what I understand treating HIV is a completely different beast than treating COVID-19. At the end of the day COVID-19 is just another SARS, though obviously with further reaching symptoms and harm, so it's actually more apt to look at the same kinds of antiviral and steroid treatments already used for existing SARS. So, various antiparasitic treatments and immune suppression probably isn't the way to go. But who knows, we'll see as time goes on.
Yes, it's certainly a different beast and that wasn't a perfect analogy, in the discussion they did add some more nuance. One interesting point was how antiviral medications aren't very effective if they aren't taken early and how difficult that is to get people to do. I agree a random anti parasitic drug wouldn't be my first candidate for a covid killer, but I don't believe these repurposed drugs actually attacks the virus (I unintentionally misrepresented that before) but instead it can help deal with the inflammation response.

I have no idea if these alternative repurposed drug treatments are actually as effective as some are claiming, but it seems worth further investigation.

BadBurger

I consider people who are calling for vaccination of healthy teenagers/kids to be evil or insane at this point.

Why? What harm can come from vaccinating everyone? This isn't a new prospect, and the risks from the vaccines are miniature compared to what might happen if a person, even a young person, is infected. Vaccination also helps reduce the spread from people who may never have exhibited symptoms.

I'm honestly not trying lead you here, but I am curious, are you also against annual influenza inoculations for teens?

Last edited:
Why? What harm can come from vaccinating everyone? This isn't a new prospect, and the risks from the vaccines are miniature compared to what might happen if a person, even a young person, is infected. Vaccination also helps reduce the spread from people who may never have exhibited symptoms.

I'm honestly not trying lead you here, but I am curious, are you also against annual influenza inoculations for teens?
Let’s not compare flu vaccines to covid vaccines please. After a year of being told comparisons between the flu and covid were unacceptable, I’d appreciate we not compare a vaccine with an 80 year history and safety record to one we haven’t even fully approved yet.

That’s not a comment on the issue of vaccinating kids. I’m pretty hesitant right now. I got the vaccine for myself. I’m just not signing my two kids (both under 8) for it, even when they’re just approved. I’ll give it a few years. Let them build a more robust safety profile over a longer term.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Let’s not compare flu vaccines to covid vaccines please. After a year of being told comparisons between the flu and covid were unacceptable, I’d appreciate we not compare a vaccine with an 80 year history and safety record to one we haven’t even fully approved yet.

Fair enough, mRNA vaccines are new, but the risks have shown to be low thus far. But yea, I guess I can understand the hesitancy.

Fair enough, mRNA vaccines are new, but the risks have shown to be low thus far. But yea, I guess I can understand the hesitancy.
I just want to see more study on any potential developmental side effects. Reproductive side effects. That kind of thing. I’m not extremely concerned. But then, I’m honestly not extremely concerned about them getting covid. My experience in my hospital is that we have seen zero kids get very sick from covid this year. Lots of other age groups, but either zero or almost zero children. So they can afford to wait and see. Give it a few years and if things are still looking good and covid remains in circulation, they can get the shot.

Last edited:

Furlong

Banned
I just want to see more study on any potential developmental side effects. Reproductive side effects. That kind of thing. I’m not extremely concerned. But then, I’m honestly not extremely concerned about them getting covid. My experience in my hospital is that we have seen zero kids get very sick from covid this year. Lots of other age groups, but either zero or almost zero children. So they can afford to wait and see. Give it a few years and if things are still looking good and covid remains in circulation, they can get the shot.
I don't think the people calling for children to get vaccinated are doing so out of concern for the children, they are only worrying about saving their own worthless necks.

Kilau

I feel bad for these folks that succumb to that pressure. It’s very real the looks you get from some and even I feel a little awkward when people around me are still masked outside.

I also felt a little awkward last March when I masked before any mandate or nearly anyone else was, but dang it feels great not having to wear one.

BadBurger

I feel bad for these folks that succumb to that pressure. It’s very real the looks you get from some and even I feel a little awkward when people around me are still masked outside.

I also felt a little awkward last March when I masked before any mandate or nearly anyone else was, but dang it feels great not having to wear one.

Yea in early March of 2020 for me as well, I already had one of these for work (back when I still had to go into a hospital) a previous model or whatever, but basically the same thing: https://www.o2industries.com/o2-curve

And since I'm in healthcare IT we heard about the "new SARS" months before the general public, early January was the first email I can remember reading with warnings, suggestions to wear a mask if you didn't feel well to protect others, etc. So anyways, I started wearing my mask before anyone else in my area and when I walked into the local grocery store people looked at doing double takes like I was fucking Bane come to take over Gotham City or something. It was kind of funny. It's also not easy to speak in one of these masks given the air-tight silicon seal and all, so I kind of sounded like Bane when I tried to explain to people that there was a new SARS virus and I was wearing the mask because I had a cold (for their protection).

Two weeks or so later, everyone was wearing masks and hoarding toilet paper.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I've seen people who are fully vaccinated stop wearing their masks and then immediately mask back up after seeing media fear porn about the Delta.

Stop watching fear porn.

Top Bottom