• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

I haven't even hit play yet and just that thumbnail hit me in the chest. That is the same view of a family member not so long ago when they had covid. They luckily recovered though.

People may wonder why I am just so fucking dialed into all of this and its because my family primarily consists of older people. The people in my 4 different families over the age of 50 outnumber those of us below the age of 35 nearly 3 to 1. I see that picture and I just imagine any of my aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc. It just hits me at home and it hits hard.

I remember when people thought this was a good idea, and then a 30 year old died after attending a covid party. "I think I made a mistake" he told hospital staff before he died.

maybe getting vaccinated and attending a covid party might be super beneficial for your immune system though, dunno

I won't entertain your "they are trying to tell me what to do for my own good just like the Nazis" analogy though

A covid.....party. Billions of vaccination doses have been administered, there are statistics out there that show the benefits it provides despite not being the be all end all of the pandemic.

But instead people are choosing to attend...covid parties.

A covid.....party. Billions of vaccination doses have been administered, there are statistics out there that show the benefits it provides despite not being the be all end all of the pandemic.

But instead people are choosing to attend...covid parties.
The covid parties were pretty early on, to my understanding. Pre vaccine. I feel like they were an urban legend as well, but it is quite possible I could be underestimating people’s ability to do stupid things.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

The covid parties were pretty early on, to my understanding. Pre vaccine. I feel like they were an urban legend as well, but it is quite possible I could be underestimating people’s ability to do stupid things.
They were factual. I know of at least 2 that happened here locally.

Then again I live in Texas so maybe the intentional stupidity is to be expected.

They were factual. I know of at least 2 that happened here locally.

Then again I live in Texas so maybe the intentional stupidity is to be expected.
I guess anything is possible. I can understand people having parties where someone coincidentally ends up spreading covid. People can not agree with it, but the goal is to have fun, which makes sense. I cannot understand having parties strictly to try and get covid from someone has it knowingly. That is indefensible stupidity.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

A doctor from Methodist Hospital in San Antonio said a young man died after attending a COVID-19 party.

“One of the things that was heart wrenching that he said to his nurse was, you know, I think I made a mistake. And this young man went to a COVID party,” said Dr. Jane Appleby, Chief Medical Officer at Methodist Hospital.

Appleby said the man who died was 30 years old.

“He didn’t really believe. He thought the disease was a hoax. He thought he was young and he was invincible and wouldn’t get affected by the disease,” Dr. Appleby said.

it is quite possible I could be underestimating people’s ability to do stupid things.
It's quite possible.

Attempt to live normal healthy lives, exercise, eat a more traditional diet.

When I was a kid one of my cousins got chickenpox. My parents had us stay the night at his house so that we could all catch it while we were young.

If we do anything we should be throwing covid parties. We would have reached herd immunity by now. By socially and physically isolating we hurt our immune system, and making sure the spread is slow giving the virus additional time to evolve.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I guess anything is possible. I can understand people having parties where someone coincidentally ends up spreading covid. People won’t like it or whatever, but the goal is to have fun. I cannot understand having parties strictly to try and get covid from someone has it knowingly. That is indefensible stupidity.
People are fucking stupid. We have talked about adults taking Horse medication, but you doubt some dumbass kids getting together and having a party?

People are fucking stupid. We have talked about adults taking Horse medication, but you doubt some dumbass kids getting together and having a party?
I doubt them having a party with the intent to get covid. I don’t doubt people having parties. It’s certainly possible, but it boggles the mind a bit.

Chaplain

Dr. Rhonda Patrick, PhD, is an American biochemist who has done extensive research on aging, cancer, and nutrition. Her groundbreaking work includes studies of how vitamin and mineral inadequacies impact metabolism, inflammation, DNA, and aging, and whether supplementation can reverse the damage. In addition, she has investigated the role of vitamin D in brain function and behavior.

It's been a while since I caught up with Dr Sonia Hudson (Intensive Care Consultant) and so today we get a lowdown on what's happening in hospital, what patients we are seeing and her thoughts on the future of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Timestamps:
00:00 Where are we at the moment?
00:59 What is it like in the Intensive Care Unit?
04:03 What patients are we seeing admitted to the Intensive Care Unit?
06:40 Do you discuss with patients when they are not vaccinated?
08:30 Thoughts on the future of the pandemic
11:06 Ending on a lighter note: Sonia's Lego update

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
As of yesterday my employer began offering third shots to all moderately to severely immunocompromised people. I wonder how long they'll stick to that group before moving onto everyone else. Hopefully no longer than a week or two.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I know this is rare, but it’s not great:

It's rare for you to link to someone with an unrelated blood disorder and try and link it to a vaccine side effect? I agree it's not great that you would do that.

So for those who may not be keeping track of all the insane nonsense that has gone on in this thread in the past 2 weeks or so.

*ahem*

- The FDA is a corrupt political organization (No they aren't)

- The CDC is a corrupt political organization (No they aren't)

- The Pfizer vaccine is dangerous despite being approved by the FDA (No it isn't)

- Having the federally approved vaccine required by certain employers and public businesses for their customers/employers in order to keep them safe is LITERALLY the same as what happened in Nazi Germany (No it isn't 🤦‍♂️)

- There are actual real adult human beings who would rather take horse medication than get a vaccination at their local CVS or Walgreens (This is sadly true & it pains me to admit that)

I feel like we are just batting a thousand at this point.

giphy.gif
Then explain to me how FDA approved the pfizer vaccine before the clinical trials are over. They completed enrollment in January 2021. They still have 2 years to go before the clinical trials are complete.

BadBurger

So for those who may not be keeping track of all the insane nonsense that has gone on in this thread in the past 2 weeks or so.

*ahem*

- The FDA is a corrupt political organization (No they aren't)

- The CDC is a corrupt political organization (No they aren't)

- The Pfizer vaccine is dangerous despite being approved by the FDA (No it isn't)

- Having the federally approved vaccine required by certain employers and public businesses for their customers/employers in order to keep them safe is LITERALLY the same as what happened in Nazi Germany (No it isn't 🤦‍♂️)

- There are actual real adult human beings who would rather take horse medication than get a vaccination at their local CVS or Walgreens (This is sadly true & it pains me to admit that)

I feel like we are just batting a thousand at this point.

giphy.gif

See:

www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward

The schadenfreude there is over the top and cruel IMO, but there are several posters in this thread over the past two weeks who sound precisely like the numerous award winners referenced in that subreddit.

Then explain to me how FDA approved the pfizer vaccine before the clinical trials are over. They completed enrollment in January 2021. They still have 2 years to go before the clinical trials are complete.

I understand you're not from the US, but the clinical trials nor full FDA approval take years. The Pfizer vaccine has been being distributed since December 2020 after they obtained E.U.A.. To get E.U.A. the FDA needs a minimum of two months of phase three clinical trials looking at safety and efficacy. For full approval of fast tracked drugs they require at least six months of data, not only looking at safety and efficacy but also a deeper dive into their manufacturing process, standards of inspection, purity, and consistency.

Frankly anyone saying this is a "rubber stamp" or that FDA approval was rushed either do not understand the process (by either rank ignorance, or more likely these days, because they were misinformed by Facebook / YouTube / Etc), are staunch anti-vaxxers that wouldn't have accepted it even if it took another year, or both.

Since you're also believing Ivermectin does anything and is woefully incorrect on the testing and approval process and known dates, I am guessing you've been consulting doctor Facebook.

Step by step:

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Might be if he took the Astra Zenica vaccine. IIRC Pfizer vaccine doesnt have that issue.
I have seen zero reports of splenectomies after the COVID vaccine. I did see a report of a spontaneous splenic rupture after a COVID infection though.

Now they are punishing people who arent vaccinated like this:

• For those who live in the LGAs of concern households with all adults vaccinated will be able to gather outdoors for recreation (including picnics) within the existing rules (for one hour only, outside curfew hours and within 5km of home). This is in addition to the one hour allowed for exercise.

So the rest of my family is vaccinated, so because of me they cant go out at all. Designed for them to hate me. Not that they will but it is designed that way.

Last edited:

Loki

Count of Concision
I haven't even hit play yet and just that thumbnail hit me in the chest. That is the same view of a family member not so long ago when they had covid. They luckily recovered though.

People may wonder why I am just so fucking dialed into all of this and its because my family primarily consists of older people. The people in my 4 different families over the age of 50 outnumber those of us below the age of 35 nearly 3 to 1. I see that picture and I just imagine any of my aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc. It just hits me at home and it hits hard.

Though I am adamantly opposed to vaccine mandates on the grounds of individual liberty and the acceptable scope of governance, I of course take measures to avoid affecting my elderly relatives, including my parents (all of whom are vaxxed). I always wear a mask in their houses, don't speak within 6-10 feet of them, and if and when I have hugged them (which isn't often due to COVID), I make sure to hold my breath. My mom is immunocompromised due to having had chemotherapy a couple of years back, so believe me when I say that I worry too. My parents are beside themselves with fear that I'll contract COVID, and we get into fairly heated discussions on the efficacy and ethics of the measures being enacted most times I visit them.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

just means they let the doctor take into considering the patients vaccination status during the triage process. if it gets to the point where you don't have enough ICU beds and you need to consider someone vaccination status, it's already a partial collapse of the system and you have much bigger problems.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Now they are punishing people who arent vaccinated like this:

• For those who live in the LGAs of concern households with all adults vaccinated will be able to gather outdoors for recreation (including picnics) within the existing rules (for one hour only, outside curfew hours and within 5km of home). This is in addition to the one hour allowed for exercise.

So the rest of my family is vaccinated, so because of me they cant go out at all. Designed for them to hate me. Not that they will but it is designed that way.

nah it's designed to get you vaccinated so that we can move on from this nightmare

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Though I am adamantly opposed to vaccine mandates on the grounds of individual liberty and the acceptable scope of governance, I of course take measures to avoid affecting my elderly relatives, including my parents (all of whom are vaxxed). I always wear a mask in their houses, don't speak within 6-10 feet of them, and if and when I have hugged them (which isn't often due to COVID), I make sure to hold my breath. My mom is immunocompromised due to having had chemotherapy a couple of years back, so believe me when I say that I worry too. My parents are beside themselves with fear that I'll contract COVID, and we get into fairly heated discussions on the efficacy and ethics of the measures being enacted most times I visit them.
Any ideology preventing you from vaccinating yourself is a bad ideology, whether it’s a fundamentalist religious sect or an extreme form of libertarianism. Getting vaccinated and being against vaccine mandates don’t need to be mutually exclusive, either.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
More evidence that that even with Delta, the vaccines probably still suppress transmission.

It's been demonstrated that vaccinated and unvaccinated people can have similar viral loads of delta variant, but that doesn't test whether or not those viral loads are active or inactive. It only tests for their presence. This study (not peer reviewed) took those viral samples and cultured it to see which samples grew and which ones didn't.

Samples from vaccinated people were active 70% of the time, and samples from unvaccinated people were active 85% of the time.

The SARS-CoV-2 culture of nasopharyngeal swabs was positive in 68.6% of vaccinated HCWs versus 84.9% of unvaccinated HCWs with primary infections (p = 0.005, t-test).

Results The delta variant (B.1.617.2) was identified in the majority of cases. Despite similar Ct-values, we demonstrate lower probability of infectious virus detection in respiratory samples of vaccinated HCWs with breakthrough infections compared to unvaccinated HCWs with primary SARS-CoV-2 infections. Nevertheless, infectious virus was found in 68.6% of breakthrough infections and Ct-values decreased throughout the first 3 days of illness.
Conclusions We conclude that rare vaccine breakthrough infections occur, but infectious virus shedding is reduced in these cases.

The problem with this study, however, is that the sample collection was done as early as April, when the delta variant wasn't as strong. It could very well be that the 15% discrepancy is entirely due to those other non-delta strains. Nevertheless, it's a good first look at infectiousness of vaccinated individuals vs unvaccinated individuals, and the picture will become clearer with further study.

Last edited:

Loki

Count of Concision
Any ideology preventing you from vaccinating yourself is a bad ideology, whether it’s a fundamentalist religious sect or an extreme form of libertarianism. Getting vaccinated and being against vaccine mandates don’t need to be mutually exclusive, either.

Disagree on the first point - it depends on the particulars. However, I don't think that the reason I haven't vaccinated myself is because of an "ideology," per se - it's more based on my own risk analysis (which may be flawed, obviously). You latter point is true, but, at least in my case, these two things are animated by very different throught processes. My non-vaccination is based on my personal risk assessment. My opposition to mandates has more to do with bodily autonomy, governmental ethics etc. I am certainly not opposed to anyone else getting vaxxed based on their own risk assessment, nor do I cast aspersions on those who opt for the vaccine (like, I don't view them as "weak" or "sheep" or anything - I just feel like they are doing what they feel is best for themselves). In general I'm a very "live and let live" kinda person, and that ethos definitely factors into my views in this sphere.

BadBurger

Hopefully with far more people vaccinated across the country this year compared to last, this year's rally won't cause spikes in case amounts in essentially half the states as the 2020 event did. I just hope that once the post-mortem is done few people end up dead.

Disagree on the first point - it depends on the particulars. However, I don't think that the reason I haven't vaccinated myself is because of an "ideology," per se - it's more based on my own risk analysis (which may be flawed, obviously). You latter point is true, but, at least in my case, these two things are animated by very different throught processes. My non-vaccination is based on my personal risk assessment. My opposition to mandates has more to do with bodily autonomy, governmental ethics etc. I am certainly not opposed to anyone else getting vaxxed based on their own risk assessment, nor do I cast aspersions on those who opt for the vaccine (like, I don't view them as "weak" or "sheep" or anything - I just feel like they are doing what they feel is best for themselves). In general I'm a very "live and let live" kinda person, and that ethos definitely factors into my views in this sphere.

Your risk assessment is wrong.

sinnergy

Herd immunity is possible with other viruses but it is impossible with coronaviruses. That is because the coronavirus can jump from human to animal and back.
Now the question is do we need boosters every 4 months … joy .. instead of altering a bit how we walk this earth ..

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You see, I don't really think it is.

Think again. It is.

mm7034e5-F1-medium.gif

During May 1–July 25, 2021, among 43,127 SARS-CoV-2 infections in residents of Los Angeles County, California, 10,895 (25.3%) were in fully vaccinated persons, 1,431 (3.3%) were in partially vaccinated persons, and 30,801 (71.4%) were in unvaccinated persons. On July 25, infection and hospitalization rates among unvaccinated persons were 4.9 and 29.2 times, respectively, those in fully vaccinated persons.

sinnergy

Think again. It is.

mm7034e5-F1-medium.gif

During May 1–July 25, 2021, among 43,127 SARS-CoV-2 infections in residents of Los Angeles County, California, 10,895 (25.3%) were in fully vaccinated persons, 1,431 (3.3%) were in partially vaccinated persons, and 30,801 (71.4%) were in unvaccinated persons. On July 25, infection and hospitalization rates among unvaccinated persons were 4.9 and 29.2 times, respectively, those in fully vaccinated persons.
25% is still high for fully vaccinated, if you look at this globally it would still be a problem , albeit smaller , ever more so if vaccines are less effective after 4 months, even the fully vaccinated would be in the basket , not fully vaccinated.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Why dont they show deaths on the graphs anymore?
There's plenty of graphs out there showing deaths per capita of vaccinated vs unvaccinated. I've posted many of them in this thread.

If you're talking about the study I just linked above, they stated the breakdown of deaths in the table.

A lower percentage of deaths (0.2%, 24) occurred among fully vaccinated persons than among partially vaccinated (0.5%, seven) and unvaccinated (0.6%, 176) persons (p<0.001). Death investigations determined that six of the 24 fully vaccinated persons who died had immunocompromising conditions, including HIV infection, cancer (i.e., prostate, pancreatic, lung, or leukemia), and liver transplantation, and that the median age was higher among vaccinated (median = 78 years, IQR = 63.5–87.5 years) and partially vaccinated (median = 74, IQR = 58.0–80.0) persons than among unvaccinated persons (median = 63, IQR = 51.5–79.5) (p = 0.01).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
25% is still high for fully vaccinated, if you look at this globally it would still be a problem , albeit smaller ,

25% is not ideal, but it's the best thing we have at the moment until something better is developed. If you look at this globally, the world would be vastly better off if it were vaccinated compared to having no protection.

ever more so if vaccines are less effective after 4 months,

Current data suggests waning over time, which would support the notion of booster shots, but even at 4 months there is still decent protection.

even the fully vaccinated would be in the basket , not fully vaccinated.
I don't know what this means.

segasonic

One thing I am curious about. If this becomes endemic(if it isn’t already) and COVID is just always hanging around, then how is that handled, and if it’s just continuing these mandates in perpetuity, the. at what point do the people who are currently obedient with mandates eventually start to turn. It’s a lot easier to comply with anything when your mindset is it’s temporary. I’ve been someone who’s been totally fine wearing masks and distancing. It doesn’t really bother me, and I’m immuno compromised. But I will admit that part of that acceptance has been that at some point well be cool and back to normal.

I’m lucky enough to have a batch of N95’s and I was wearing one at the doctors office the other day and the wait time for this doctor was insane, and after about an hour it started to pinch the hell out of my nose, and I had to go to the bathroom just to take it off and give it a rest. That was the first time where I had my “this is getting annoying now” moment. I never really had one before.
I am using N95 / FFP2 since day one of the pandemic. Make sure to let them air for at least 24 hours before first wearing them. These are only rated for filter efficiency and some contain chemicals that will cause headaches and other symptoms. For premium brands like 3M this will not be an issue though.

Loki

Count of Concision
Think again. It is.

mm7034e5-F1-medium.gif

Without cohort and comorbidity data for these hospitalizations (cases mean little to me, since 70+% are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic - yet another way I differ from the frightened masses), it does nothing to sway my personal risk assessment. And even in the absence of such data, just looking at the numbers you posted - am I supposed to tremble in fear at 28 hospitalizations per 100K people? Sorry, but I haven't bought into the fear campaign being waged by the media regarding this virus. And again, how many of those 28 hospitalized folks (per 100K) were 45 years old or younger and healthy (i.e. without comorbidities)? I'd wager less than 10. This all factors in to my personal risk assessment.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Without cohort and comorbidity data for these hospitalizations (cases mean little to me, since 70+% are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic - yet another way I differ from the frightened masses), it does nothing to sway my personal risk assessment. And even in the absence of such data, just looking at the numbers you posted - am I supposed to tremble in fear at 28 hospitalizations per 100K people? Sorry, but I haven't bought into the fear campaign being waged by the media regarding this virus.
No, you're not supposed to tremble in fear, you brave brave soul. You're supposed to use math and critical thinking skills to notice when one number is significantly larger than another number.

This all factors in to my personal risk assessment.
Do you not consider the protective effect on the community as well? Every person vaccinated, including you, is another small barrier to community transmission.

Top Bottom