• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

I asked for example of your parallels to prove

what you copy pasted is not exactly the same as how we treat unvaccinated people, so let’s try again
What? You cant see the divide and conquer tactics? How it creates hate? You guys have expressed a lot of it to "anti-vaxxers"(you mean all who refuse to take the shot, not just anti vaxxers).

RAÏSanÏa

2Nf-sOgAT6msS40wR4dNtB2W0ZrQpm89dK-UoF4bO3o.jpg

What? You cant see the divide and conquer tactics? How it creates hate? You guys have expressed a lot of it to "anti-vaxxers"(you mean all who refuse to take the shot, not just anti vaxxers).

I am still waiting for your proof that it’s exactly the same and you have failed to provide it, you can provide the examples and we can discuss them or you can continue down your very own “you guys” divide and conquer route

now do you want to provide some proof for your claim that Nazi tactics are exactly the same, paying very clear attention to the definitions of the words you use

I am still waiting for your proof that it’s exactly the same and you have failed to provide it, you can provide the examples and we can discuss them or you can continue down your very own “you guys” divide and conquer route

now do you want to provide some proof for your claim that Nazi tactics are exactly the same, paying very clear attention to the definitions of the words you use
You know you are arguing semantics right? Essentially you are arguing that someone dying from a knife would is different that someone dying from a gun wound and then going "aha you are wrong".

You know you are arguing semantics right? Essentially you are arguing that someone dying from a knife would is different that someone dying from a gun wound and then going "aha you are wrong".

it is not semantics (I did ask you to be very clear on the definitions of words you use) it is specifics, which is important when you make such controversial and brave statements as you did

I am not arguing anything about gun wounds or knife wounds, I am arguing about Nazi tactics deployed by whoever “we” is that you are talking about…I have not asked for your definition of “we“ yet because I cannot even get a example of Nazi tactics being ”exactly the same” as anything being deployed by anyone now

So am I to assume and conclude you cannot provide any proof to back up your initial claim?

RAÏSanÏa

That's good news.
The old Israel study was in the news recently as evidence started to show here that the longer interval due to our supply and rollout turned out to be better than the indication of that old study.

I wanted to wait for a completely updated mRNA for new variants rather than an adjusted one.

it is not semantics (I did ask you to be very clear on the definitions of words you use) it is specifics, which is important when you make such controversial and brave statements as you did

I am not arguing anything about gun wounds or knife wounds, I am arguing about Nazi tactics deployed by whoever “we” is that you are talking about…I have not asked for your definition of “we“ yet because I cannot even get a example of Nazi tactics being ”exactly the same” as anything being deployed by anyone now

So am I to assume and conclude you cannot provide any proof to back up your initial claim?

Way to miss my point. I am claiming your argument that it isn't Nazi tactics is the same as arguing that a death by knife wound is not the same as a death from a gun wound.

And "we" is the government. That should have been obvious.

You are arguing semantics.

Way to miss my point. I am claiming your argument that it isn't Nazi tactics is the same as arguing that a death by knife wound is not the same as a death from a gun wound.

And "we" is the government. That should have been obvious.

You are arguing semantics.

To use your analogy I would be asking for proof that it was a knife wound and you would be doing everything except trying to prove that yes, it is indeed a knife wound. So with that in mind I am still waiting for you to back up your “exactly the same” claim. Which you still haven’t done.

If you concede that you can’t evident “exactly the same” then we can move on, in which case I will ask you if they are not exactly the same and you were just using a generalised approach to oppression why did you specifically invoke the Nazis, was it just attention? Or did you genuinely believe they were “exactly the same” without having really thought about it?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The post was about fear. I made it. Let’s get that straight. You responded to my post about fear. I hope that clears up your confusion.
Your post was about fear. You made it. I know that. I got that straight. It's also within the conversational context of mitigation strategies and the reasoning behind them, and what is and isn't reasonable. Ignoring my entire post by being pedantic about vocabulary is a convenient way to avoid the question.

I responded to your post about fear and reframed it to remove the sensationalism since the way you are using emotional buzzwords like "fear", "afraid", and "terrifying" serves to paint certain mitigation strategies as being unreasonable. I keep emphasizing facts over feelings, and fear is a feeling that should be tempered. Indeed, we're both broadly saying that we should make our decisions without fear, but that is where the similarities to our approaches ends.

Your advice to do or not to do things is often predicated on feelings or emotions e.g. "don't do X out of fear" or "do what you feel is right". Call it what you want, but painting this entire complicated situation with the broad brush strokes of "fear" as if that's the only factor at work poisons the well and removes nuance. Handwaving this all away in a "just don't be afraid" message trivializes the actual danger and hardships that people have had to face during the pandemic.

Do other people's pursuit of happiness mean that they get to put the community in danger which then results in even more draconian emergency responses? Do other people's right to express their freedom mean that it's okay when it infringes on my own liberty as well? Their liberty should not come at the expense of mine.

If I want to live life normally, I can't because the government has imposed social distancing and attendance limits (depending on what state I'm in) due to so many people being unvaccinated and causing a strain on the health care system. Compare that with the UK, which has a higher vaccination rate, which does not have a hospital crisis, and whose citizens are currently more free than many Americans.

Blaming other people is not nonsense when there is a direct cause and effect relationship between their poor choices and the hardships we all have to face now because of it. Personal responsibility is an important pillar of a functional society that holds people accountable for their actions.

Does the ICU being full of COVID patients reduce the quality of care for everyone else? Elective surgeries being cancelled is a thing. Increased health care worker burnout is a thing. Delayed response to otherwise everyday emergencies are a thing.

To use your analogy I would be asking for proof that it was a knife wound and you would be doing everything except trying to prove that yes, it is indeed a knife wound. So with that in mind I am still waiting for you to back up your “exactly the same” claim. Which you still haven’t done.

If you concede that you can’t evident “exactly the same” then we can move on, in which case I will ask you if they are not exactly the same and you were just using a generalised approach to oppression why did you specifically invoke the Nazis, was it just attention? Or did you genuinely believe they were “exactly the same” without having really thought about it?
Dividing people up into us and them and creating hate for the them group is exactly what the Nazis did.

Dividing people up into us and them and creating hate for the them group is exactly what the Nazis did.

it’s the same as media does, it’s the same that school gangs do, it’s the same as sports teams do and it’s the same as governments already do…there are countless examples

so if your point is a general us vs them narrative by the government and not a direct comparison to the Nazis I want to know why you invoked them if there was nothing specific they did that countless other groups aren’t doing already, because the Nazis also wore boots and shirts

but it is not “exactly” what the Nazis did because that was my initial point, I thought you had more to go on in terms of methods deployed by either Nazis or your government to make such a claim but really, you have nothing

No it doesnt. You are 6x more resistant to Covid if you get it without the vaccine.

Initially its exactly the same. Nazis didn't start killing Jews till a decade after they started oppressing them.

Yes.
The thing a lot of people don't realize is just how insidious authoritarian creep can be. Many who are against mandatory society-wide vaccines are aware of the slippery slope. It's not necessarily the idea of everyone getting a vaccine that is the problem. It's the idea that if you don't get it, you are marginalized.

it’s the same as media does, it’s the same that school gangs do, it’s the same as sports teams do and it’s the same as governments already do…there are countless examples

so if your point is a general us vs them narrative by the government and not a direct comparison to the Nazis I want to know why you invoked them if there was nothing specific they did that countless other groups aren’t doing already, because the Nazis also wore boots and shirts

but it is not “exactly” what the Nazis did because that was my initial point, I thought you had more to go on in terms of methods deployed by either Nazis or your government to make such a claim but really, you have nothing

And those are nazi tactics, but this one is enforced by the government and one a much larger scale. Do you think that school gang tactics by the government is different to what the Nazis did initially?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Here's more information for people who think that somehow getting COVID is less risky than getting a vaccine, especially in regards to cardiovascular issues.

In a study now reported in the Journal by Barda et al., the investigators simultaneously evaluated the risk of adverse events among persons (≥16 years of age) who had received the BNT162b2 vaccine (Pfizer–BioNTech) and the risk of the same events after severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection.3

The most salient example is myocarditis, which has received much attention recently given the preponderance of reported cases after vaccination among adolescents and young adults and the incidence of myocarditis observed after SARS-CoV-2 infection.4-6 In the population-based cohort in the study conducted by Barda and colleagues, the risk ratios for myocarditis were 3.24 (95% confidence interval [CI], 1.55 to 12.44) after vaccination and 18.28 (95% CI, 3.95 to 25.12) after SARS-CoV-2 infection, with risk differences of 2.7 events per 100,000 persons (95% CI, 1.0 to 4.6) and 11.0 events per 100,000 persons (95% CI, 5.6 to 15.8), respectively.

What is even more compelling about these data is the substantial protective effect of vaccines with respect to adverse events such as acute kidney injury, intracranial hemorrhage, and anemia, probably because infection was prevented.

Furthermore, the persons with SARS-CoV-2 infection appeared to be at substantially higher risk for arrhythmia, myocardial infarction, deep-vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, pericarditis, intracerebral hemorrhage, and thrombocytopenia than those who received the BNT162b2 vaccine.

0AVUWmq.jpg

Your post was about fear. You made it. I know that. I got that straight. It's also within the conversational context of mitigation strategies and the reasoning behind them, and what is and isn't reasonable. Ignoring my entire post by being pedantic about vocabulary is a convenient way to avoid the question.

I responded to your post about fear and reframed it to remove the sensationalism since the way you are using emotional buzzwords like "fear", "afraid", and "terrifying" serves to paint certain mitigation strategies as being unreasonable. I keep emphasizing facts over feelings, and fear is a feeling that should be tempered. Indeed, we're both broadly saying that we should make our decisions without fear, but that is where the similarities to our approaches ends.

Your advice to do or not to do things is often predicated on feelings or emotions e.g. "don't do X out of fear" or "do what you feel is right". Call it what you want, but painting this entire complicated situation with the broad brush strokes of "fear" as if that's the only factor at work poisons the well and removes nuance. Handwaving this all away in a "just don't be afraid" message trivializes the actual danger and hardships that people have had to face during the pandemic.

Do other people's pursuit of happiness mean that they get to put the community in danger which then results in even more draconian emergency responses? Do other people's right to express their freedom mean that it's okay when it infringes on my own liberty as well? Their liberty should not come at the expense of mine.

If I want to live life normally, I can't because the government has imposed social distancing and attendance limits (depending on what state I'm in) due to so many people being unvaccinated and causing a strain on the health care system. Compare that with the UK, which has a higher vaccination rate, which does not have a hospital crisis, and whose citizens are currently more free than many Americans.

Blaming other people is not nonsense when there is a direct cause and effect relationship between their poor choices and the hardships we all have to face now because of it. Personal responsibility is an important pillar of a functional society that holds people accountable for their actions.

Does the ICU being full of COVID patients reduce the quality of care for everyone else? Elective surgeries being cancelled is a thing. Increased health care worker burnout is a thing. Delayed response to otherwise everyday emergencies are a thing.
Sorry, but I reject your framing entirely. It’s really that simple. You don’t get to frame my argument into something I did not say. I said vaccinated people can decide to go through their lives without fear. That is a completely reasonable position.

I think it’s hilariously ironic that you would have the gall to call anyone else pedantic, btw. Particularly in the context of writing this essay you just posted.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sorry, but I reject your framing entirely. It’s really that simple. You don’t get to frame my argument into something I did not say. I said vaccinated people can decide to go through their lives without fear. That is a completely reasonable position.

I think it’s hilariously ironic that you would have the gall to call anyone else pedantic, btw. Particularly in the context of writing this essay you just posted.
Oh? If I do recall, you were just recently belittling Nobody_Important Nobody_Important for his personal decision to limit his outside contact by mockingly framing his position as being afraid to go to the pool, and overstating a cautionary approach with the overgeneralized label of "fear".

It would be a different conversation if you hadn't invoked specifically Nazi tactics and just said you think people that aren't taking the vaccine are being marginalised and penalised

That is what Nazi tactics are from the very beginning to the end where it was the most severe. I don't understand your argument?

That is what Nazi tactics are from the very beginning to the end where it was the most severe. I don't understand your argument?

OK, let's try the other way around then. Show me where your government has been using Nazi tactics. That should be easier for you to prove than the other way around.

Oh? If I do recall, you were just recently belittling Nobody_Important Nobody_Important for his personal decision to limit his outside contact by mockingly framing his position as being afraid to go to the pool, and overstating a cautionary approach with the overgeneralized label of "fear".

There should be other options. The government is basically saying take the vaccine or the highway. Why not let the people who dont believe in the deadliness of Covid just be exposed to it in a safe environment? Or offer something other than vaccines like Ivermectin? Why are these vaccines forced onto people?

Yes. Anyone who is fully vaccinated who is afraid to go to a swimming pool or a beach, outside, is operating out of an unreasonable amount of fear. If you do not acknowledge that, you have left the realm of science and are no longer in the rational world.

If your not right next to me telling him that such a level of fear is not necessary and is actually detrimental to his overall well being, you are doing him a disservice.

Also, let’s try to keep it brief. Like I mentioned, someone who throws around the word pedantic should know better. This isn’t your dissertation. If you’re going to use that word, let’s try some self awareness on your part.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
TBH i wouldnt mind being exposed to the virus in a secure setting where i wont be a risk to others. Then leave that setting when its over.
I remember when people thought this was a good idea, and then a 30 year old died after attending a covid party. "I think I made a mistake" he told hospital staff before he died.

maybe getting vaccinated and attending a covid party might be super beneficial for your immune system though, dunno

I won't entertain your "they are trying to tell me what to do for my own good just like the Nazis" analogy though

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
And those are nazi tactics, but this one is enforced by the government and one a much larger scale. Do you think that school gang tactics by the government is different to what the Nazis did initially?
It's also what Lincoln did during the civil war. Them and us. Also what the allies did to the axis forces during WW2, them and us.

Its Australia(I live in NSW) wide AFAIK.

Oh you're in Australia, well its basically another lockdown there for you because there is no confidence that the virus is manageable yet. You should wait until after your winter and if vaccine rates go up before declaring persecution that you're still in COVID lockdown.

Dr_Salt

Banned
I'm not acting as if it's some kind of humanity ending disease where if you get it you will surely die. I'm acting as if it's a dangerous disease that has already killed over 600,000 of my fellow countrymen, was the third leading cause of death last year, causes hospitals around the country to shut down, causes billions of dollars of expense, and if not controlled properly has the potential to exponentially spread and be much much worse.

You can say all you want how as an individual the stats are in your favor but you're still doing flawed risk assessment and bad math. The danger you are in is still relatively small, but compared to the alternative is many times larger. You also don't assess the danger to the community as a whole. Every death is a tragedy, and while you can probably avoid death on an individual level with a 99.9% survival rate, you are looking at heartbreaking numbers when that is applied to a population of millions.
Isn't that community supposedly already been vaccinated? I though people should stop fearing death once they got the vaccine. This thread has taught me that you shouldn't feel remorse if an antivaxxer dies. Or do you not trust the efficacy of the vaccine?

I think the issue is that we are comparing our experiencies from different points of view since we live in different countries. I live in a place that had one of the worst quarantine measurements in the whole planet. We have had a mask mandate since day 1 so we never really lived this hospital total collapse you talk about. Until this day we still have a curfew. No one ever refused the mask mandate here but there are people who refuse the vaccine. I can perfectly relate to them tbh.

RAÏSanÏa

Its Australia(I live in NSW) wide AFAIK.
Last year when there was no vaccine the Atlantic provinces set up a bubble with quarantine restrictions.

Unsure exactly where they're at now. this was of the top returns after wikipedia

Not worried about them. They run a tight ship.

I remember when people thought this was a good idea, and then a 30 year old died after attending a covid party. "I think I made a mistake" he told hospital staff before he died.

maybe getting vaccinated and attending a covid party might be super beneficial for your immune system though, dunno

I won't entertain your "they are trying to tell me what to do for my own good just like the Nazis" analogy though

That is the odds right. I won't complain if i die.

It's also what Lincoln did during the civil war. Them and us. Also what the allies did to the axis forces during WW2, them and us.

I dont want to talk about the Civil war. It wasnt really about the slaves FYI it was the narrative but it wasnt the real reason. As for the allies vs axis, that is different countries used to inspire hatred to get more troops. A but different to what the Nazis did because they did it against their own people.

They did it to Russia and vice versa.

RAÏSanÏa

The underlying "folk medicine" behind that treatment is "traditional" thinking.

People do that with their children too. Like some chicken pox party cure pulled from an uncontextualized frantic Alzheimer's memory will work for coronavirus.

thefool

Here's more information for people who think that somehow getting COVID is less risky than getting a vaccine, especially in regards to cardiovascular issues.
Sketchy study design aside (namely trying to match observational data), the cardiovascular issues you mentioned are a severe limitation of this manuscript (as it is recognized by the authors) namely for two reasons:

a) non-discretionary age in the group where the issue is more prevalent (16-39).
b) this group is under-sampled in the vaccination group, only 53% vs 62% of the other side.

It's particularly misleading they didn't do the risk analysis adjusted for the population sizes of each age-group. The conclusion that the group that has more young people has, in general, much more adverse cardiovascular events is naturally skewed knowing this group has been more affected by such issues.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I still think it's insane that this thing has killed 600k people in america and some people are like ah, who cares, business as usual.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
So for those who may not be keeping track of all the insane nonsense that has gone on in this thread in the past 2 weeks or so.

*ahem*

- The FDA is a corrupt political organization (No they aren't)

- The CDC is a corrupt political organization (No they aren't)

- The Pfizer vaccine is dangerous despite being approved by the FDA (No it isn't)

- Having the federally approved vaccine required by certain employers and public businesses for their customers/employers in order to keep them safe is LITERALLY the same as what happened in Nazi Germany (No it isn't 🤦‍♂️)

- There are actual real adult human beings who would rather take horse medication than get a vaccination at their local CVS or Walgreens (This is sadly true & it pains me to admit that)

I feel like we are just batting a thousand at this point.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom