• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Kilau

god help us (click to see thread)

I think there is some sort of self sabotage going on here that goes much deeper than covid. These people will claim that it is the liberals or democrats that are out to get them, but they are using their own free will to essentially practice self destructive behavior -- pumping themselves full of toxins or going out of their way to behave recklessly in order to contract covid and hurt their loved ones and sometimes die themselves. liberals aren't making them do this...they are doing this because it's what they want.I don't understand it

Maybe Natalie had worms?

Jaysen

Banned
Horse paste is working!

metal-gear-solid-v-video-game.gif

Cyberpunkd

Not sure how you can blame the government.... it is invbididual choice to get vaccine and mask.
If you don’t need government for anything, why is a government needed? Let’s have a private healthcare, police, firefighters. Let’s have homeless addicts, etc. dying on the streets since they are a burden to society.

Sometimes tou need government to earn their pay and get shit done, which looks like Florida gov is not doing very well.

If you don’t need government for anything, why is a government needed? Let’s have a private healthcare, police, firefighters. Let’s have homeless addicts, etc. dying on the streets since they are a burden to society.

Sometimes tou need government to earn their pay and get shit done, which looks like Florida gov is not doing very well.
Government provide free vaccine, easy access toi mask. What more do you want?

It's not experimental. It's been tested and approved. It is a successful vaccine by every objective measure. Anything beyond that now is just conspiracy nonsense.
Then how come we have to sign agreement if things go wrong, we cannot sue the vaccine maker. Let be real, there are no where enough test, but there are not much choices. Let it be clear, i am a conservative, i don't trust the vaccine we have, but I also get the vaxx back in March/April because the alternative, which is catching covid 19, is much worse.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Then how come we have to aign agree if things go wrong, we cannot sue the vaccine maker. Let be real, there are no where enough test, but there are not muich choices.
What level of evidence would you require to be convinced the vaccine is safe and effective? Because it’s cleared every bar one could reasonably expect it to clear.

What level of evidence would you require to be convinced the vaccine is safe and effective? Because it’s cleared every bar one could reasonably expect it to clear.
You don't need to convince me, I got my shot; I just don;t trust it. Like i said, the alternative is worse. Vaccine typically take years and if not decade to get approve and pfizer is done within 1 year.

I’m all for virtual schooling. We did it last year, and schools should have offered it as an option for this year as well. Instead, people wanted to get back to “normal” and said the hell with it. Now, we are caught flat footed once again, which is putting more and more kids behind. Who didn’t see this coming? 🙄
I mean i understant why they push for in school learning. It is better but can it be done safely?

ManaByte

Gold Member

Imagine if this proves to be true in humans following additional testing, and they're able to rapidly develop it into a treatment.

But why bother when there's horse paste?

Thaedolus

Look, if it is as safe as you claim, why the paperwork that state you cannot sue the maker.
Because showing a causal relationship between vaccination and any kind of subsequent health issue outside of a controlled setting is nearly impossible and lawsuits attempting to demonstrate as much would serve no purpose. There were and are controlled studies with placebo groups and all other mechanisms typically required which have shown the vaccines to be safe.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Look, if it is as safe as you claim, why the paperwork that state you cannot sue the maker.
Here's a thought experiment. Read this excerpt, and then think to yourself if this person is right or wrong, why your hunch is what it is, what could be influencing you to think that way, and if you're operating with the whole picture in mind.

Hillary Clinton seemed to be barely holding back tears at a town hall in New Hampshire on Monday. Speaking in the aftermath of another tragic mass shooting, this time at an Oregon community college, the Democratic presidential candidate pitched her gun control proposals.

In the middle of her remarks, she made a big claim: She said that gun-makers and sellers are "the only business in America that is totally free of liability for their behavior."

Do you find any parallels to anything?

Here's a thought experiment. Read this excerpt, and then think to yourself if this person is right or wrong, why your hunch is what it is, what could be influencing you to think that way, and if you're operating with the whole picture in mind.

Do you find any parallels to anything?
Not at all, gun is a "choice", people choose to buy gun. If vaccine become mandatory, there is no choice at all. That the big difference.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Not at all, gun is a "choice", people choose to buy gun. If vaccine become mandatory, there is no choice at all. That the big difference.
Take note of how quickly you tried to rationalize this with hypotheticals that don't exist.

I'm pointing out to you how ideological thinking biases you to making broad statements with incomplete information that doesn't include any nuance.

"[thing I don't like] is immune from being sued!"

That statement doesn't describe the whole situation.

FunkMiller

I think there is some sort of self sabotage going on here that goes much deeper than covid. These people will claim that it is the liberals or democrats that are out to get them, but they are using their own free will to essentially practice self destructive behavior -- pumping themselves full of toxins or going out of their way to behave recklessly in order to contract covid and hurt their loved ones and sometimes die themselves. liberals aren't making them do this...they are doing this because it's what they want.I don't understand it

“Don’t tell me what to do, dad!”

…this is literally the mindset.

They are infantilised children, who have spent their entire lives in cosseted luxury.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Every 8 months from the looks of it.

I don't expect that many people to really want it more than annually, but for health care workers in group 1 who got their first shot in December, it's kind of silly to go to work every day and constantly take care of COVID positive patients when your immunity has dipped below 40%. Then in my free time I go to concerts multiple times a month, and eat out at least once weekly, and travel a couple times a year, and workout at a public gym 4x a week.

Getting the shot ASAP is an easy decision for me.
I also got vaccinated early. I was kind of hoping to stick with Novavax for my next round but they're taking forever to get supply up to roll out so I might just get a Pfizer or something.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Loads of info about mRNA vaccines and their potential, all in one place. If you're into that kind of light reading.

Thaedolus

I mean there was no doubt it work, until the delta. The issue is how and why it is approved so quickly. Can we be certain, 100%, no corner was cut to made it hit the market asap?

FDA has expected turnaround times for various types of submissions. Here’s a little secret from someone who submits stuff to them all the time: they’re not reviewing your submission for the entirety of that time period. They work on a first in, first out system. They also don’t start pinging people like me until the last couple weeks before their deadlines, because the file has been sitting in their queue while they review other stuff that came first.

In an emergency situation, you can jump the queue. That alone will take months off the review time. Furthermore, full approval for a vaccine typically requires full audits of manufacturing processes, quality management systems, facility audits, supplier quality agreements, etc. A company like Pfizer has a long history of being in good standing with regard to these things, so it makes sense to waive these inspections on an emergency basis and then complete them for the full approval. If you actually ask for (or know about) details how this stuff works, then you usually see the concern trolling is just concern trolling

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I also got vaccinated early. I was kind of hoping to stick with Novavax for my next round but they're taking forever to get supply up to roll out so I might just get a Pfizer or something.
I can't find it but somewhere way back in this thread there was an article about people beginning the very early stages of data collection on people who get multiple types of vaccine. I think the early impressions were that it appears that initial side effects were slightly more severe, but that it is possible it could provide a slightly higher immunity. The article may have been based out of Israel, but it was a while ago and I can't remember.

I got 2 shots of Pfizer, and will get a 3rd of Pfizer next month.

SF Kosmo

I can't find it but somewhere way back in this thread there was an article about people beginning the very early stages of data collection on people who get multiple types of vaccine. I think the early impressions were that it appears that initial side effects were slightly more severe, but that it is possible it could provide a slightly higher immunity. The article may have been based out of Israel, but it was a while ago and I can't remember.

Yeah unsurprisingly given the market, Novavax is going to be marketed mostly as a booster in the US for that reason, it stacks on the others really well.

I am not really worried about complications from mixing vaccines, I just had a good experience with the one I took (no side effects) so I'd prefer to stick with what works.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Theoretically, I can see how it might help. The mRNA vaccines show the altered spike protein antigen to your immune system, so your immune system produces antibodies to counteract the spike protein. The traditional vaccines show the other parts of the virus to your immune system too, so you generate antibodies that react to the virus "body" too. Developing a strong immune response to as many potential antigens as possible could serve some advantages.

At this point, it's only a hunch, however.

SF Kosmo

Theoretically, I can see how it might help. The mRNA vaccines show the altered spike protein antigen to your immune system, so your immune system produces antibodies to counteract the spike protein. The traditional vaccines show the other parts of the virus to your immune system too, so you generate antibodies that react to the virus "body" too. Developing a strong immune response to as many potential antigens as possible could serve some advantages.

At this point, it's only a hunch, however.
Likewise, it's also higher risk, though. Like for anyone who is worried about yet undiscovered antibody reactivity a narrower immune response poses fewer opportunities for such complications.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Some more images from that Twitter thread on the Ivermectin Facebook group...

E9ttOsSXMAASW4m

E9ttOsMWQA49-yz

E9tt6RPXoAM0dLu

E9tvN9CXoAIuWaL

E9tw-pTXsAcS_xG

E9tw-pXWUAU8GHm

E9tyEDUXMAIuN8F

Sad that they want to sue the doctor for not allowing her husband to continue high dose vitamin C since he has entered renal failure. Being a doctor in these kinds of regions must be tough right now.

Top Bottom