• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

squallheart

We've had a few vaccinated get infected, and a few unvaccinated. I've never had it, but I just do the usual mask stuff, and always wash my hands every time or use sanitizer before touching my mask. So far I've just been lucky basically. Early data on the booster looks pretty promising, so that'll be nice.
Yeah I had covid in January no symptoms just loss off taste for 3 days. I did the same things you do in regards to hygiene. Always staying alert but not scarred .

Star-Lord

Sad that they want to sue the doctor for not allowing her husband to continue high dose vitamin C since he has entered renal failure. Being a doctor in these kinds of regions must be tough right now.
Being a doctor during this pandemic is tough at the best of times, nevermind having to deal with these idiots.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Some more images from that Twitter thread on the Ivermectin Facebook group...

E9ttOsSXMAASW4m

E9ttOsMWQA49-yz

E9tt6RPXoAM0dLu

E9tvN9CXoAIuWaL

E9tw-pTXsAcS_xG

E9tw-pXWUAU8GHm

E9tyEDUXMAIuN8F

Sad that they want to sue the doctor for not allowing her husband to continue high dose vitamin C since he has entered renal failure. Being a doctor in these kinds of regions must be tough right now.
I want to laugh, cry, and facepalm myself into a coma all at once after reading that.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Some more images from that Twitter thread on the Ivermectin Facebook group...

E9ttOsSXMAASW4m

E9ttOsMWQA49-yz

E9tt6RPXoAM0dLu

E9tvN9CXoAIuWaL

E9tw-pTXsAcS_xG

E9tw-pXWUAU8GHm

E9tyEDUXMAIuN8F

What the fuck is FLCC?

Nobody_Important

Being a doctor during this pandemic is tough at the best of times, nevermind having to deal with these idiots.
Well to be fair they probably don't deal with them as much as you think. After all they are clearly not consulting with their doctors lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
Googled FLCC.

These people need to be locked up and this site shut down:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
That FLCCC org is co-founded by this guy:

On December 8, 2020, Kory was a witness at a Senate hearing called by the US Senate Homeland Security Committee Chair Ron Johnson, [13] which was criticized as promoting fringe ideas about COVID-19.[14] Kory, described ivermectin as "miraculous" and as a "wonder drug" to be used against COVID-19. Video footage of his statements went viral on social media, receiving over one million views within a few days.[1] Kory became a leading advocate of the use of ivermectin throughout the pandemic, promoting a conspiracy theory that its true effectiveness was being suppressed by the "Gods of Science" who wanted to monopolize scientific information.[15] Kory resigned from Aurora St Luke's afterwards, claiming new contracts threatened to limit his freedom to speak.[5][6]

0doUrSz.png

"Followed by..." :messenger_expressionless:

Chaplain

That FLCCC org is co-founded by this guy:

0doUrSz.png

"Followed by..." :messenger_expressionless:

Wikipedia is a non-credible source.

"This battle of ideas on Wikipedia’s platform formed a crucial part of the encyclopaedia’s commitment to neutrality, which according to Sanger, was abandoned after 2009. In the years since, on issues ranging from Covid to Joe Biden, it has become increasingly partisan, primarily espousing an establishment viewpoint that increasingly represents "propaganda". This, says Sanger, is why he left the site in 2007, describing it as “broken beyond repair”." (7/14/21)

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
For me, it does not matter. Throughout my 4-years in seminary, professors instructed us not to use Wikipedia because it was not a credible source (not that they do not have citations on it).

Says the guy who often posts strings of tweets including dubious sources or sources of outright disinformation without context.

Anyways - then make an argument, don't just paste some video of one person's opinion and expect everyone to watch it.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Dr Kory and the math+ protocol is legit, but he's jumping the gun a bit on ivermectin. small studies have shown some benefits, and a lot of doctors started to give it during a time when nothing else seemed to work and the WHO was saying remdesivir has no to little benefits. however, the big studies are still pending and the jury is still out, which is why so many doctors are reluctant to give it. doctors know when they start giving meds that they know might not work, there will be significant consequences and harm their patients (remember the number of medical errors that hurt Americans? this is how), so some interpret this as doctors holding out on their patients to give them a possible cure, which we know it isn't.

Last edited:

Chaplain

So now facts don't matter and Facebook bullshit does. Got it.

A quick Google search will show multiple results on why Universities do not allow Wikipedia use:

Wikipedia makes certain efforts at reliability that search engines like Google do not, including its own system of peer-review. Still, Wikipedia has different priorities than an academic peer-reviewed resource, and therefore it shouldn't be used in place of an academic source. Wikipedia's design trades absolute reliability for convenience and quick updating. You can never be certain that what you read on Wikipedia doesn't include misinformation that has yet to be corrected. Likewise, while Wikipedia does include a system for citation and the editorial evaluation of its entries, its real-time and open updating means that you can never be absolutely certain you're reading good information. (Peer Review: An Introduction: Why not just use Google or Wikipedia?)

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
A quick Google search will show multiple results on why Universities do not allow Wikipedia use:
Wikipedia itself is not a source, but the cited sources in Wikipedia are.

They're telling you not to use a Wikipedia as a source not because they think Wikipedia isn't credible, but because they want you to do your own research.

The reason the people in the video don't like Wikipedia is a completely different reason why your academic professors don't want you to use Wikipedia for your papers.

Last edited:

Chaplain

And what does that have to do with an article about a conspiracy theorist that's well cited. All of those citations are false because you don't want him discredited?

No, that is not what I am saying. Not interested in anything other than the truth and having rational civil discourse based on evidence-based data if possible..

ManaByte

Gold Member
No, that is not what I am saying. Not interested in anything other than the truth and having rational civil discourse based on evidence-based data if possible..

And those citations will lead you to the evidence-based data that the guy shouldn't be listened to.

Nobody_Important

If you are only interested in the truth then you REALLY need to pay attention to some of the sources that you get of your tweets from.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Chaplain Chaplain Think of it this way. You are taking a university course about turtles. You have an assignment to write a paper about turtles. Coincidentally, your sister Molly also took the same class last year and also wrote a paper about turtles.

You CANNOT use Molly's paper as a source for your paper. That's obviously stupid.

However, you can look at what sources Molly used in her paper, and then use those sources to do your own research for your own paper.

Does that make sense?

(Molly is Wikipedia)

FunkMiller

Chaplain Chaplain Think of it this way. You are taking a university course about turtles. You have an assignment to write a paper about turtles. Coincidentally, your sister Molly also took the same class last year and also wrote a paper about turtles.

You CANNOT use Molly's paper as a source for your paper. That's obviously stupid.

However, you can look at what sources Molly used in her paper, and then use those sources to do your own research for your own paper.

Does that make sense?

(Molly is Wikipedia)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

i like turtles GIF

Last edited:
Dr Kory and the math+ protocol is legit, but he's jumping the gun a bit on ivermectin. small studies have shown some benefits, and a lot of doctors started to give it during a time when nothing else seemed to work and the WHO was saying remdesivir has no to little benefits. however, the big studies are still pending and the jury is still out, which is why so many doctors are reluctant to give it. doctors know when they start giving meds that they know might not work, there will be significant consequences and harm their patients (remember the number of medical errors that hurt Americans? this is how), so some interpret this as doctors holding out on their patients to give them a possible cure, which we know it isn't.

Er. A lot of big studies have been shown benefits. Randomized controlled trials are the ones that are small in scale.

I am opposed to the whole idea of placebo being given to a group especially when there are treatments that are known to work as a vaccine and treatment are out there. Why not compare ivermectin to treatments that work instead of not treating patients or tricking them with a placebo? You can at least use it for treatment scenario. I highly dislike one group of people being completely vulnerable for science but i guess there is nothing like IVM as a prophylaxis out there that works afaik.

Thaedolus

By most metrics, the more vaccinated a country is, the less it suffers from severe illness and death.

What if in a few years all their dicks fall off? No more Danes, no more Metallica, no more will for this guy to live I can tell you that.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
So willing putting lives at risk like that with no chance of the treatment working is fine to you?

The whole point of the placebo is to have a control group to compare against to find out if the things you're testing even works.

So putting something against a working treatment as a control group wont show if a drug works? I mean, why not? Shouldnt a new drug at least be comparable to the current working drugs and be just as safe or safer?

I really dont understand why there needs to be specifically a placebo control group at all. You just need to show that a drug works better than the current ones right?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Theology can be a respectable field of study.
It can. Chris Hedges is one of my favorite journalists ever, and that's what he studied at Harvard I believe. If you ever watch a lot of the early Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins debates against academic theologians, you can tell that they're basically at the same level as well read, elite history professors. And that's basically what they are at the end of the day, and usually are just doing history research on old written works.

Top Bottom