• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I wish people applied the same level of skepticism to mask efficacy as they do to the COVID drug du jour.

Reactions: WoJ

thefool

-remdesivir we know it helps to shorten hospital stays by 5-7 days.

The mega trials debunked that information:

These remdesivir, hydroxychloroquine, lopinavir, and interferon regimens had little or no effect on hospitalized patients with Covid-19, as indicated by overall mortality, initiation of ventilation, and duration of hospital stay.

The authors also address the hopes of other smaller studies

For each of these four repurposed nonspecific antivirals, several thousand patients have now undergone randomization in various trials. The unpromising overall findings from the regimens tested suffice to refute early hopes, based on smaller or nonrandomized studies, that any of these regimens will substantially reduce inpatient mortality, the initiation of mechanical ventilation, or hospitalization duration

FunkMiller

Remember when people were trying to make it sound like minorities were the overwhelming reason we weren’t hitting vaccine numbers? If you saw through that bullshit, give yourself a cookie.

Shocked To Be GIF by Isola dei Famosi

dave_d

If I'm betting on revolutionary cancer treatments, my money is on viral vectors and mRNA over ivermectin.
My bet is it'll turn out that it'll be a marathon of a 100+ years of research to knock off cancers one by one although even then there will be some that will be untreatable until we figure out nanotech medicine but who know if and when that will ever come down the pike.

Remember when people were trying to make it sound like minorities were the overwhelming reason we weren’t hitting vaccine numbers? If you saw through that bullshit, give yourself a cookie.

We all knew this all along. Most of the new anti vaccine is all politics and nothing but politics. That’s why they want ivermectin and every single other drug but not the vaccine. It’s the highest level of stupid that I have ever seen, honestly. But it looks like people are slowly trying to actually protect themselves because covid is just a menace, and has lead to ridiculous inflation that probably won’t get corrected now that the business class has had a taste.

Last edited:

Kilau

These numbers don’t match what the CDC reports, so they may be accurate for they poll but they don’t seem accurate for the nation.

UncleMeat

I think some people were going off the data from NYC, which according to their own website still show black residents at only 35% fully vaccinated unless I'm reading this chart wrong which is possible.

NYC isn't the entire US but still seems like it would be a good bellwether for big cities.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
These numbers don’t match what the CDC reports, so they may be accurate for they poll but they don’t seem accurate for the nation.

Yeah we have better data than this available. The only really interesting thing is the low uptake by the Trump above party supporters.
They are just the weirdest group. Probably Trump's greatest achievement as president was the warp speed vaccines. And yet they refuse to take them and boo him when he tells them to take them. It is surreal.

Jaysen

Banned
Yeah we have better data than this available. The only really interesting thing is the low uptake by the Trump above party supporters.
They are just the weirdest group. Probably Trump's greatest achievement as president was the warp speed vaccines. And yet they refuse to take them and boo him when he tells them to take them. It is surreal.
Yep this poll is only good for demonstrating who the loudest idiots are.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
COVID is in this weird state where the prevention is actually more effective than the treatment. Once you get it, hospitals are still kinda winging it since there is no sure fire treatment that works really well.

Thats why I take no issue with anyone who wants to just throw everything at it once they get it and hope one of the medicines sticks. As long as they’re properly dosed by a doctor.

Which makes the vaccine skepticism so odd, it’s actually a pretty amazingly effective vaccine. Far more effective than the flu shot vaccine in comparison which sometimes is only like 50% effective give or take.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
No one has learned. Countering misinformation with misinformation of your own is not a good strategy. No one's going to remember the random podcaster who told everyone to take Ivermectin to cure COVID, but they will remember the politician, doctor, or newscaster who told people hospitals were being overrun with Ivermectin overdoses that simply weren't happening and then they will believe they're hiding something and not trust them again in the future.

Nothing has been handled worse with COVID than the PR. It's been awful since last year. Censoring and then creating false narratives because they feel they need to over-correct to discredit someone they deem a threat. These will all backfre.

• Strength
Reactions: LMJ

DeaDPo0L84

No one has learned. Countering misinformation with misinformation of your own is not a good strategy. No one's going to remember the random podcaster who told everyone to take Ivermectin to cure COVID, but they will remember the politician, doctor, or newscaster who told people hospitals were being overrun with Ivermectin overdoses that simply weren't happening and then they will believe they're hiding something and not trust them again in the future.

Nothing has been handled worse with COVID than the PR. It's been awful since last year. Censoring and then creating false narratives because they feel they need to over-correct to discredit someone they deem a threat. These will all backfre.
People are more interested in being right than doing what's right. Most regardless of party lines post shit that confirms their biases without ever getting further than the headline cause all they're interested in is getting the quick jab in then bailing. I honestly believe when people saw that story about the gunshot victims they weren't concerned they were excited cause it was a "fuck yea I get to shit on other people again" moment". That's how most regardless of sides think now and it's why we stay running in place and never progressing.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
People are more interested in being right than doing what's right. Most regardless of party lines post shit that confirms their biases without ever getting further than the headline cause all they're interested in is getting the quick jab in then bailing. I honestly believe when people saw that story about the gunshot victims they weren't concerned they were excited cause it was a "fuck yea I get to shit on other people again" moment". That's how most regardless of sides think now and it's why we stay running in place and never progressing.
No one progresses as long as morons choose horse paste over vaccine.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
To be fair, that’s just a poll. It’s indicative of what groups are antivaxx and the bigger bunch of dummies though.

The KFF tracks vaccination across various demographics constantly, their findings have been the same.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
No one progresses as long as morons choose horse paste over vaccine.
I mean technically you can argue if people use the horse form of Ivermectin and it kills them, that's one less person around who can spread the virus.

But people who refuse the vaccine are the same whether they take Ivermectin in its place, gargle bleach, or take nothing at all. The premise is still the same.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
My bet is it'll turn out that it'll be a marathon of a 100+ years of research to knock off cancers one by one although even then there will be some that will be untreatable until we figure out nanotech medicine but who know if and when that will ever come down the pike.
I understand that different cancers require different treatments but I do think viral vectors and mRNA are such powerful and adaptable tools that they'll become the main way we fight most cancers within the next 15 years.

This is very perplexing to me. One of Trump's biggest campaign promises was to get the vaccine out before 2021. Yet, we see many of his biggest supporters rejecting the vaccine.

Last edited:

Loki

Count of Concision
I understand that different cancers require different treatments but I do think viral vectors and mRNA are such powerful and adaptable tools that they'll become the main way we fight most cancers within the next 15 years.

I feel that nanotech will be the ultimate solution to cancer. When we can have nanomachines swim around inside us and detect which cells are cancerous, and target them and only them for destruction, we'll have won.

Thaedolus

This is very perplexing to me. One of Trump's biggest campaign promises was to get the vaccine out before 2021. Yet, we see many of his biggest supporters rejecting the vaccine.
It just stems from the inability to accept that anything was bungled with the pandemic response, or that subsequent actions like a certain someone’s rallies in hot spots, etc. were bad ideas that killed people. The only way to pretend those things were good ideas is to pretend the whole thing was a hoax or not that big of a deal, and once that mindset took root…well, Carl Sagan bamboozle quote.

This is me, but the fact remains that choosing alternatives over the staples of vaccine, masks, and distancing is dumb. That doesn’t go away.

Last edited:
It actually is antiviral. There was a study a while back in vitro that said that it blocks the spike protein in covid. But finding stuff like that is impossible now since it is quite old and search engines benefit news media rather than actual studies. Which is the reason why I quit this thread earlier but couldnt resist responding to an earlier post.

EDIT: I actually found it. Maybe i shouldnt be so hasty. *shrugs*

As for a neurotoxin that "burns down the house", I am interested in your proof of this. So far all the studies that have used it as a prophylaxis shows impressive results except for the low dose one and even that was 50%, others were 80% and above. No major side effects so far reported in those studies.
Looking a bit more into it there is indeed some effect of ivermectin on the virus that it can bind to a spike protein. The ivermectin molecule can bind to all sorts of protein bits in your body, it just happens to bind extremely well to an insect protein, killing insects in your body.

The big question here is if it's feasible to get enough ivermectin molecules into your body in case of infection so that the covid virus will bind to those molecules so much instead of your cell receptors that it will stop the spread of the virus. While at the same time all this ivermectin is not binding to and blocking all the other proteins your body needs to function. The ivermectin dose in pills given to humans normally is very low. You don't need a lot to kill parasites. Is such a safely proven dose enough to stop covid ? I really doubt it.

The other main thing is the list of countries with lower covid registered cases in Africa being countries where ivermectin is in common use. While this correlation seems obvious there are some huge issues with the quality of the data coming from those countries. Tanzania for instance has a reported grand total of 50 covid deaths. Including several high ranking officials and likely the president.

African Programme for Onchocerciasis Control (APOC) and Covid-19. 1A. Countries that participated in the APOC. APOC countries: Angola, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda. NON-APOC countries: South Africa, Egypt, Morocco, Algeria, Ghana, Senegal, Libya, Ivory Coast, Zambia, Guinea, Namibia, Tunisia, Zimbabwe, Mauritania, Djibouti, Eswatini, Cabo Verde, Gambia, Somalia, Eritrea, Seychelles, Mali, Botswana, Guinea-Bissau, Benin, Sierra Leone, Burkina Faso, Togo, Lesotho, Niger, South Sudan, Sao Tome and Principe, Republic of Madagascar, Comoros, Mauritius. 1B. Daily COVID-19 mortality rates per million according to time and APOC status.

At the same time all the 20 countries with the highest infant mortality rate are countries in this list. Is ivermectin killing babies ? Of course not, the countries suffering from river blindness are also the poorest countries with the least effective health system and reporting of covid cases.

Here are two very similar countries in Southern Africa. Both use ivermectin. Massive differences

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Posting this here.

Australia currently going through what we all went through last year, while they were completely open and absolutely fine. There was always going to be a bill to pay when it came to Covid. Australia’s paying it now. But, they will come out of this with far less deaths, so I guess in the long run their policy will have been the more correct one.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I feel that nanotech will be the ultimate solution to cancer. When we can have nanomachines swim around inside us and detect which cells are cancerous, and target them and only them for destruction, we'll have won.
That's still many decades off. We have already cured people using viral vectors and mRNA treatments are going to be starting trials soon. This isn't sci-fi shit, it's here, it's just a matter of proving it out and adapting it to fight other cancer types.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Also feels nightmarish if nanotech will also be able to slowly kill if programmed to attack vital parts.

RAÏSanÏa

If the discussion and hesitance around modern vaccine is any indication then advances in medical tech long before nanobots is already getting difficult to understand and extremely difficult for the most poorly educated to adopt. Luddites and the craven will always create an excuse for avoidance and to discourage others.

Last edited:

dave_d

That's still many decades off. We have already cured people using viral vectors and mRNA treatments are going to be starting trials soon. This isn't sci-fi shit, it's here, it's just a matter of proving it out and adapting it to fight other cancer types.
Given that I've lived through the hype of interlukin-2 and angiogenesis inhibitors I remain doubtful on it being a game changer and figure it will be just be another arrow in the quiver of treatments for cancers.

Thaedolus

120 deaths in the past month in Iowa, a state of 3.2 million people. Daily deaths 7-day rolling average: 6. "Drowning." No hyperbole at all.
lmao, I’m sure that doc is just making it all up to prove idiots on the internet wrong, yes that must be it

RAÏSanÏa

120 deaths in the past month in Iowa, a state of 3.2 million people. Daily deaths 7-day rolling average: 6. "Drowning." No hyperbole at all.
Deaths aren't the only factor. Only medical illiterate and dishonest look at deaths as the only factor.

Dying is why they're in hospital. Some get better. Just like with other serious medical reasons people go to the hospital in the Western world.

The implication the doctor is making is that the doctor has had to admit patients due to unvaxxed incidents. Possibly referring partly to self-medication without naming it.

The doctor also mentioned he has never had cases involving problems with the vaccine(vaccine related incident). Those aren't overwhelming hospitals.

Looking a bit more into it there is indeed some effect of ivermectin on the virus that it can bind to a spike protein. The ivermectin molecule can bind to all sorts of protein bits in your body, it just happens to bind extremely well to an insect protein, killing insects in your body.

The big question here is if it's feasible to get enough ivermectin molecules into your body in case of infection so that the covid virus will bind to those molecules so much instead of your cell receptors that it will stop the spread of the virus. While at the same time all this ivermectin is not binding to and blocking all the other proteins your body needs to function. The ivermectin dose in pills given to humans normally is very low. You don't need a lot to kill parasites. Is such a safely proven dose enough to stop covid ? I really doubt it.

The other main thing is the list of countries with lower covid registered cases in Africa being countries where ivermectin is in common use. While this correlation seems obvious there are some huge issues with the quality of the data coming from those countries. Tanzania for instance has a reported grand total of 50 covid deaths. Including several high ranking officials and likely the president.

At the same time all the 20 countries with the highest infant mortality rate are countries in this list. Is ivermectin killing babies ? Of course not, the countries suffering from river blindness are also the poorest countries with the least effective health system and reporting of covid cases.

Here are two very similar countries in Southern Africa. Both use ivermectin. Massive differences

Of course not, ivermectin is a treatment option if you got covid, it is not use to prevent it.

Thaedolus

It actually is antiviral. There was a study a while back in vitro that said that it blocks the spike protein in covid. But finding stuff like that is impossible now since it is quite old and search engines benefit news media rather than actual studies. Which is the reason why I quit this thread earlier but couldnt resist responding to an earlier post.

EDIT: I actually found it. Maybe i shouldnt be so hasty. *shrugs*

As for a neurotoxin that "burns down the house", I am interested in your proof of this. So far all the studies that have used it as a prophylaxis shows impressive results except for the low dose one and even that was 50%, others were 80% and above. No major side effects so far reported in those studies.
You said in vitro when this was a computer model. I’m sure computer models would also show bleach is an antiviral, but the reason people were mocking the idea of using bleach to fight the virus is it’s basically anti-everything biological

Loki

Count of Concision
lmao, I’m sure that doc is just making it all up to prove idiots on the internet wrong, yes that must be it

Why are you not following the data? The data is clear. You also act like it is unheard of that many people and institutions are engaged in some level of hyperbole for various reasons (genuine concern - i.e. they feel that if they fearmonger enough it will spur positive change; disingenuousness etc.), or as if we haven't seen multiple instances of completely false tweets/stories during this pandemic, and identical tweets posted by literally dozens of accounts acting as if it was their own. If you don't believe that there is some level of information control/warfare going on on various fronts here, you haven't been paying attention. But as far as the data? It is clear. I don't impute motives to people, so I won't say he is "making it up" - perhaps a large portion of his state's deaths occurred at his hospital, on his watch; and in that sense, in terms of his personal perception, perhaps his statement was "accurate." But again, the data tells a decidedly different story.

Raistandantulus said:
Deaths aren't the only factor. Only medical illiterate and dishonest look at deaths as the only factor.

Dying is why they're in hospital. Some get better. Just like with other serious medical reasons people go to the hospital in the Western world.

The implication the doctor is making is that the doctor has had to admit patients due to unvaxxed incidents. Possibly referring partly to self-medication without naming it.

The doctor also mentioned he has never had cases involving problems with the vaccine(vaccine related incident). Those aren't overwhelming hospitals.

Fair enough, I suppose, though the most common interpretation of someone saying "people dying with this illness" is not "people afflicted with the illness who may or may not end up dying without intervention" but rather "people who have died or who will eventually die from this illness regardless of intervention." So assuming he was referring to the former, let's look at hospital and ICU utilization in Iowa:

Percentage of inpatient beds in use: 64% (% used for COVID patients: 7.6%; source)
Percentage of ICU beds in use: 74% (% used for COVID patients: 24%)

Note that even prior to COVID, typical hospital bed utilization in the US averaged around 66% (source), and typical ICU utilization was ~68% (source).

Again, "drowning"? No hyperbole at all? Not even a teensy weensy bit?

Last edited:
Top Bottom