• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Thaedolus

Why are you not following the data? The data is clear. You also act like it is unheard of that many people and institutions are engaged in some level of hyperbole for various reasons (genuine concern - i.e. they feel that if they fearmonger enough it will spur positive change; disingenuousness etc.), or as if we haven't seen multiple instances of completely false tweets/stories during this pandemic, and identical tweets posted by literally dozens of accounts acting as if it was their own. If you don't believe that there is some level of information control/warfare going on on various fronts here, you haven't been paying attention. But as far as the data? It is clear. I don't impute motives to people, so I won't say he is "making it up" - perhaps a large portion of his state's deaths occurred at his hospital, on his watch; and in that sense, in terms of his personal perception, perhaps his statement was "accurate." But again, the data tells a decidedly different story.

Fair enough, I suppose, though the most common interpretation of someone saying "people dying with this illness" is not "people afflicted with the illness who may or may not end up dying without intervention" but rather "people who have died or who will eventually die from this illness regardless of intervention." So assuming he was referring to the former, let's look at hospital and ICU utilization in Iowa:

Percentage of inpatient beds in use: 64% (% used for COVID patients: 7.6%; source)
Percentage of ICU beds in use: 74% (% used for COVID patients: 24%)

Note that even prior to COVID, typical hospital bed utilization in the US averaged around 66% (source), and typical ICU utilization was ~68% (source).

Again, "drowning"? No hyperbole at all? Not even a teensy weensy bit?
You're right to stick to the data and the facts, but focusing in on one data point or state-wide or nation-wide data as a means of debunking the idea this doc is overwhelmed (i.e. drowning) is also not the way to go. Maybe the doc didn't articulate his point in the most bullet-proof, factually accurate and inscrutable way possible, but the message is the same as everywhere else where the virus has blown up lately: healthcare workers are overwhelmed, it's currently worse than 2020, and it's almost entirely unvaccinated people they're caring for. Nation wide data might not show this, state wide data might not even show it, but there are hot spots all over the place that are feeling completely overwhelmed. This is also my anecdotal experience with healthcare friends and family where I live. So I still don't think the data show this a hyperbolic. Maybe he is being hyperbolic, but going by everything else we've seen, there's no reason to assume that.

dave_d

cells.png
My old chem professor put it best. "It's easy to kill cancer cells, the problem is they're human cells so most stuff that kills cancer cells also kills regular cells."

Gp1

Brazil did a massive first dose vaccination in the last 3-4 months and more than 95% of the population said that they want to get vaccinated. And we don't tamper with the statistics like other countries ins Latin America usually do.

I believe that some studies and real life observation proves that first dose of Pfizer, Janssen (this one of course) and Astrazeneca vaccines are well enough to curb both Alpha and Beta P.1 variants that is still prevalent in Brasil now. At least until you get the second and probably third jab.

Supposedly the new New variant is vaccine immune. So if the shots dont work MU may require new vaccines.

Issue is people are already getting frustrated with the current shots. Then you have all the misinfo spreading around making that worse.

We need to start figuring out how to deal with covid more efficiently so it ends up only at flu levels of harmful or less. We can't keep piecemealing this.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Supposedly the new New variant is vaccine immune. So if the toasts seen dont work MU may require new toasts seen.

Issue is people are already getting frustrated with the current shots. Then you have all the misinfo spreading around making that worse.

We need to start figuring out how to deal with covid more efficiently so it ends up only at flu levels of harmful or less. We can't keep piecemealing this.
Not immune

From the Newsweek article:
"This variant has a constellation of mutations that suggests that it would evade certain antibodies, not only monoclonal antibodies, but vaccine- and convalescent serum-induced antibodies," he said.
"But there isn't a lot of clinical data to suggest that, it is mostly laboratory in-vitro data," Fauci added.
"Remember, even when you have variants that do diminish somewhat the efficacy of vaccines, the vaccines still are quite effective against variants of that time," the infectious diseases expert said.

It's reads more like diminished effectiveness, not zero. Lab data and what to look for.

With how to deal with things as this pandemic continues data responsive, adaptive quick targetted restrictions have worked well during waves. Maybe adopting similar in places that don't do that help during waves but more importantly as global vaccination increases there will be less global hotspots. In the last half year there are still too many hosts increases chances of mutation. As people recover faster from covid from vaccine less time sick and chance to spread and mutate. Waves will become less frequent and then to full endemic mode without jumping the gun like summer 2021.

Cyberpunkd

We already know that - vaccine shots like a flu, this plus people infected and having had Covid will bring us to collective immunity.

BouncyFrag

I was about to post this in another thread about this Rolling Stone hit piece, but since it’s been locked I’ll post it here.

Senate hearing from 12/8/20 on covid-19.

Time stamped at 27m41s for this doctors full testimony and qualifications. Lol at the title.

Nobel Peace Prize winning speech from the man who created ivermectin. It won him the NPP.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

I am personally looking into homes just outside of the burbs - not quite country, but not really a proper suburb either. I am finding some pretty large and nice homes in my state for not much more than I have in my retirement accounts.

I am sick and tired of city life. The traffic, the packed restaurants, the noise, the nosey neighbors, all of it. This pandemic game me the gift of working from home 99% of the time, and it might just get me to finally move out of the city.

Leyasu

Banned
Supposedly the new New variant is vaccine immune. So if the shots dont work MU may require new vaccines.

At the moment though, the current vaccines have been created to look for the original spike protein. Which is the part where the most mutations occur.

Shouldn’t future vaccines that come and that have been created using the whole virus deactivated be effective no matter how much the spike protein has mutated?

Last edited:
Not immune

From the Newsweek article:

It's reads more like diminished effectiveness, not zero. Lab data and what to look for.

With how to deal with things as this pandemic continues data responsive, adaptive quick targetted restrictions have worked well during waves. Maybe adopting similar in places that don't do that help during waves but more importantly as global vaccination increases there will be less global hotspots. In the last half year there are still too many hosts increases chances of mutation. As people recover faster from covid from vaccine less time sick and chance to spread and mutate. Waves will become less frequent and then to full endemic mode without jumping the gun like summer 2021.
The idea if a 'vaccine immune' variant is quite attractive as it's the only scenario in which the vaccine refuser comes out ahead. The risk of the virus becomes exactly the same but all the vaccine takers have the additional, tiny, risk of taking the vaccine.

Except of course this is impossible. The only way for a variant to be completely outside the body's vaccine generated immune response is to become a completely different virus. One without a spike protein for instance which would indeed evade all mRNA vaccines but also be incapable of infecting anyone.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister

I am personally looking into homes just outside of the burbs - not quite country, but not really a proper suburb either. I am finding some pretty large and nice homes in my state for not much more than I have in my retirement accounts.

I am sick and tired of city life. The traffic, the packed restaurants, the noise, the nosey neighbors, all of it. This pandemic game me the gift of working from home 99% of the time, and it might just get me to finally move out of the city.
I did last year, best decision ever. I used to have a small condo, now I live on a lake in the country for basically the same cost.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Guess one of our coworkers (unvaccinated) has been out since July with COVID. Hospitalized. Now she's back home, spent all her PTO a while ago. On oxygen now, and applying for disability.

Thankfully my company hasn't lost anyone to COVID that I am aware of. We have a few rural-ish hospitals in the network where vaccination rates among nurses was lower than ideal, but seeing as it's now a requirement come November 1st (or October, I forget) that problem will be fixed.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I was about to post this in another thread about this Rolling Stone hit piece, but since it’s been locked I’ll post it here.

Senate hearing from 12/8/20 on covid-19.

Time stamped at 27m41s for this doctors full testimony and qualifications. Lol at the title.

Nobel Peace Prize winning speech from the man who created ivermectin. It won him the NPP.

He could have won the Peace Prize, the super bowl and a primetime Emmy and it still wouldn't change anything that has been said in this thread about Ivermectin and the way it's being abused by idiots and pushed by grifters.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned

Such a sad story. All the patient had to do was take a simple vaccine, but thanks to grifters they bought into a series of lies that ends in their painful, tragic death. Senseless.

Think of all the horses that have died because this idiot and many others are eating all their paste.

Jaysen

Banned
Hawaii announced all ICU beds are now full. So if you’re in Hawaii and decide it’s better to OD on horse paste rather than take a vaccine that’s proven to work, enjoy hell.

Hawaii announced all ICU beds are now full. So if you’re in Hawaii and decide it’s better to OD on horse paste rather than take a vaccine that’s proven to work, enjoy hell.
Have you ever eaten Poi? that shit probably tastes worse than horse paste.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Such a sad story. All the patient had to do was take a simple vaccine, but thanks to grifters they bought into a series of lies that ends in their painful, tragic death. Senseless.

Jesus. Can you imagine knowing you're going to die, just because you didn't want to have a harmless, painless jab in your arm that would have taken a few seconds of your time? Yikes.

Thaedolus

Rogan GOING IN those trying to paint him in a bad light.
Except right after pointing out CNN was wrong about what he was taking, he brings up the bullshit conspiracy theory about there needing to be no alternatives for the EUA again, which has been debunked.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Except right after pointing out CNN was wrong about what he was taking, he brings up the bullshit conspiracy theory about there needing to be no alternatives for the EUA again, which has been debunked.
Who cares. He doesn't claim to be an expert. They're just talking.

RAÏSanÏa

Big cigar seemed an aggressively Freudian prop for showing how recovered he was while still coughing green stuff up.
Looked a little loopey, like he was on medication for the cough.
Does look better. Hunchy though, like someone recovering from a stressful experience.

Improved symptoms in 24 - 48 hours from quick monoclonal treatment is normal. Sound like that it was monoclonal antibodies really putting in the work. Iirc it was 2-3 weeks for the body to make a good supply of its own antibodies.

thefool

Rogan had the luxury of being able to get diagnosed and taking medication right away as soon as he got symptoms. Like Racaniello mentions in that clip on Lex, people being severly hospitalized and taking anti-virals when the issue is already inflammatory and the virus stopped shedding, has been a big issue.

Btw, Racaniello podcast, this week in virology is really good. I've started watching when Fauci when there many months ago and it's a pretty informative show. It's adults talking, which is always refreshing.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
True, but he will continue to get criticized. Like it or not, he's probably one of the top sources of everyone trying ivermectin. It was kind of unveiled to the US population on his podcast with Weinstein. It's totally fair for people to point out when he says things that are false.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
True, but he will continue to get criticized. Like it or not, he's probably one of the top sources of everyone trying ivermectin. It was kind of unveiled to the US population on his podcast with Weinstein. It's totally fair for people to point out when he says things that are false.
I don't agree with that, I think Bret is far more to do with that on his podcast and on social media. Bret even took a dosage of it live on his show and did multiple podcasts with doctors promoting it. Joe brought him long after Bret had been talking about Ivermectin for weeks. And doctors have been talking about it also. It's not like this came from nowhere.

And when Joe brought him on, it wasn't really an episode that promoted Ivermectin per se, it was mainly to discuss getting censored by Youtube. Joe was never part of the "pro Ivermectin" campaign. He was always ambivalent about it. His thing has always been losing weight, exercise, and vitamin D. He's been on that train since early 2020.

Thaedolus

It matters that people keep believing the only reason ivermectin is getting pushback is because of greed and a conspiracy instead of the fact it hasn’t really been shown to be effective in a clinical trial yet

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sound like that it was monoclonal antibodies really putting in the work. Iirc it was 2-3 weeks for the body to make a good supply of its own antibodies.
Probably. It's the only ingredient in his "kitchen sink" approach that is proven to work.

The problem with laymen interpreting Joe's experience as a proper model for treatment think that each ingredient in the "kitchen sink" is equally effective.

Say for example, Joe had scabies and took the same treatment - monoclonal antibodies, ivermectin, vitamin drips and NAD drips. He'd still probably get rid of his scabies, but you shouldn't conclude that everything in that treatment was responsible for his recovery. The only logical conclusion would be that the ivermectin did what it was proven to do (get rid of parasites), and everything else in the kitchen sink was either ancillary or irrelevant until shown otherwise.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It matters that people keep believing the only reason ivermectin is getting pushback is because of greed and a conspiracy instead of the fact it hasn’t really been shown to be effective in a clinical trial yet
Hey, you can't help stupid, it is what it is. There are always going to be idiots who listen to a podcast of two guys who don't claim to be experts just riffing and take things the wrong way, but that's a small price to pay for open discourse and conversation.

Because the alternative would be for him to just never talk about COVID or anything related to it at all ever again.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Hey, you can't help stupid, it is what it is. There are always going to be idiots who listen to a podcast of two guys who don't claim to be experts just riffing and take things the wrong way, but that's a small price to pay for open discourse and conversation.

Because the alternative would be for him to just never talk about COVID or anything related to it at all ever again.
He can talk about it. I think the people calling him out though are part of that open conversation. He's the one that talked about suing CNN.

sinnergy

New study on Invermectin impact on sperm counts… significantly drops sperm count on vast majority after one treatment.

lmfao

given this new evidence I have changed my stance and strongly recommend a daily dose for all anti vaxxers.

We’ll you don’t want them to multiply anyway … society is better that way , did I type that 🤡

Last edited:

Thaedolus

You can help stupid by not giving them stupid ideas they’re too stupid to realize are stupid. Joe can say he’s not an expert all he wants, but if he’s gonna keep on pushing bad ideas that disagree with what the experts are saying then he’s kinda talking out both sides of his mouth

Top Bottom