• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Which part of what I said was funny? At least address the points if you want to mock it.
The part where you said "who knows?". As if leaving the door open for the idea that the CIA could be involved somehow.

I'd go find the "Is such a thing possible" meme, but I can't be bothered to do it right now.

MikeM

Gold Member
Quick update. 9 days since my vaccine and still fighting fatigue, random aches, brain fog and headaches. Slowly getting better but is very annoying. Had to postpone a lot of work items because I need to use my brain and well.. can't at the moment.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The part where you said "who knows?". As if leaving the door open for the idea that the CIA could be involved somehow.

I'd go find the "Is such a thing possible" meme, but I can't be bothered to do it right now.
It's mostly irrelevant to me which branch of government is directly involved, which is why I said that. I think the main points of interest to me are 1) the virus' origin (natural or manmade/altered), 2) was the US involved directly or indirectly. I didn't say anything inaccurate in my post, but you called it a conspiracy theory. I even literally said I didn't see anything about the CIA in that intercept article.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Quick update. 9 days since my vaccine and still fighting fatigue, random aches, brain fog and headaches. Slowly getting better but is very annoying. Had to postpone a lot of work items because I need to use my brain and well.. can't at the moment.
is it possible you have covid ?

Nobody_Important

It's mostly irrelevant to me which branch of government is directly involved, which is why I said that. I think the main points of interest to me are 1) the virus' origin (natural or manmade/altered), 2) was the US involved directly or indirectly. I didn't say anything inaccurate in my post, but you called it a conspiracy theory. I even literally said I didn't see anything about the CIA in that intercept article.
I'm willing to bet everything I own that the US and several of it's pharmaceutical companies were and still are researching coronaviruses in countries all over the world. I'm not sure what that has to do with the situation we find ourselves in right now though. Or are you trying to say that the US government is somehow directly involved with the specific development of Covid-19 and it's spread? Because if not I don't understand what you are trying to get at.

Also I never called your post a conspiracy theory. I only found it funny. It was the other guy who I was referring to because he is insanely trying to claim the CIA is directly involved.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

I'm not sure what that has to do with the situation we find ourselves in right now though.
Well if you're interested in answering that, just read the article and find out. Otherwise, don't worry about it I guess.

I'm willing to bet everything I own that the US and several of it's pharmaceutical companies were and still are researching coronaviruses in countries all over the world.
I mean, obviously coronaviruses are being researched - hence the vaccine, and all available data we have.

What we're actually talking about is gain of function research though, where viruses are genetically altered to be more advanced in their evolution, and to be better at infecting human-like tissue so they can be studied.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Well if you're interested in answering that, just read the article and find out. Otherwise, don't worry about it I guess.
I read it as soon as you posted it. It's not exactly a long article. It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know or have suspected for over a year now.

I'm just trying to figure out what your specific point is.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

I read it as soon as you posted it. It's not exactly a long article. It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know or have suspected for over a year now.

I'm just trying to figure out what your specific point is.
Quote my post then and tell me which part you find difficult to understand. I don't know why I'd repeat what is already clearly written in plain English.

Nobody_Important

Quote my post then and tell me which part you find difficult to understand. I don't know why I'd repeat what is already clearly written in plain English.
Okay well of you are gonna be like that then let's just move on and save both our times.

Punished Miku

Okay well of you are gonna be like that then let's just move on and save both our times.
I'm not being like anything. They're literally very plainly written paragraphs, and you could get the points I was making from the first sentence in each paragraph. It's very plain, and I literally don't know what you're talking about. You can get even further context by looking at the post I quoted and responded to.

FunkMiller

The real mindfuck is when you start considering that many people might want shady organisations to be in control, because it still (in their subconscious) is preferable to utter chaos.

The whole conspiracy theory over the origins of covid comes from a pretty typical place when it comes to the psychology of conspiracy theories in general.

The fact is that we are all in this mess because of a random, unstoppable event. A serious respiratory disease was passed from animals to humans, the same way it has before, and has caused all this trouble. That is a far scarier prospect than the idea it was engineered by nefarious humans - and either accidentally or deliberately escaped a laboratory.

The one thing people have a huge problem with is coping with the random. The chaotic. The uncontrollable. It's one of the main reasons religion exists, and one of the main reasons people fall into conspiracy so easily.

Nobody_Important

It's sad to watch what is happening in Florida and Texas. Their leadership is utterly failing them in the most fundamental ways in regards to pandemic response.
Yeah what's going on is just plain embarrassing. There is no excuse for what they are doing other than just appealing to the ignorant portions of their base that think they are doing the right thing.

Protecting their political Capital more than they are their actual people.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
It's sad to watch what is happening in Florida and Texas. Their leadership is utterly failing them in the most fundamental ways in regards to pandemic response.
It’s sad living in one of those states knowing it was all preventable if our elected leaders weren’t playing politics instead of actually doing what was right.

Nobody_Important

I think I finally reached the point now where I am more angry and annoyed at being sick than anything else. You know when you just get the flu or some other sickness that lasts several days and towards the end of it you're just more fed up with the feeling of being sick and you're just very snippy? I'm there. I legitimately just got mad at my toaster because it burnt the last two waffles that I had even though I set it to the same setting that I always do.

That or covid is slowly making me lose my mind and now I'm just getting randomly angry at inanimate objects.

It’s sad living in one of those states knowing it was all preventable if our elected leaders weren’t playing politics instead of actually doing what was right.
Well Republicans in mass were praising Texas and Florida and look at what happened. In my state we are at capacity with hospitals and even though the state didn’t do what Texas or Florida did, the non vaccinated are the cause of the full hospitals, and the self destruction is evidenced from republican politics. This short-term self destructive thinking.

I think I finally reached the point now where I am more angry and annoyed at being sick than anything else. You know when you just get the flu or some other sickness that lasts several days and towards the end of it you're just more fed up with the feeling of being sick and you're just very snippy? I'm there. I legitimately just got mad at my toaster because it burnt the last two waffles that I had even though I set it to the same setting that I always do.

That or covid is slowly making me lose my mind and now I'm just getting randomly angry at inanimate objects.

lol. It’s why I got the vaccine. I’m a short-fused little snappy bitch when I get really sick, and I don’t want anyone to put up with that lol. I’m sorry that you got COVID, that sucks. It sounds like you’ll recover at a good rate though, even though it seems pretty bad but not critically bad.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

lol. It’s why I got the vaccine. I’m a short-fused little snappy bitch when I get really sick, and I don’t want anyone to put up with that lol. I’m sorry that you got COVID, that sucks. It sounds like you’ll recover at a good rate though.
I got the vaccine for partially the same reason lol

Obviously it was the smart thing to do, but I also just hate being sick.

Last edited:

QSD

The one thing people have a huge problem with is coping with the random. The chaotic. The uncontrollable. It's one of the main reasons religion exists, and one of the main reasons people fall into conspiracy so easily.

Yeah man, chaos, it's a hell of a thing to deal with. One moment you're taking it easy, posting some shit on Neogaf and the ne

Well Republicans in mass were praising Texas and Florida and look at what happened. In my state we are at capacity with hospitals and even though the state didn’t do what Texas or Florida did, the non vaccinated are the cause of the full hospitals, and the self destruction is evidenced from republican politics. This short-term self destructive thinking.
I don't understand why they would act this way as republicans(40% of people) vote for republicans and democrats (40% of people) vote for democrats.

If that Florida govenor does want to run for president that is won on 20% of the population of moderates that can swing either way. Desantis comes off very bad on moderates and thats not a good way to go.

Mr Evil I am sorry as I'm not trying to be political but there is no other way to describe this. And I'm Canadian so I really dont give a shit :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Research into a novel coronavirus was funded by the CIA? News outlets full of people from CIA?

You're proper tin foil hat, aren’t you?
CIA funded coronavirus research is pretty absurd and as far as I know there isn't any reporting about that.

News outlets full of CIA people is also wildly hyperbolic, but that one at least has some grounding in history.

However, it is not in the CIA's best interests to spread a global pandemic, because that's not in the USA's interests because that lowers the USA's global hegemony and isn't profitable. It is much more likely that the military industrial complex motivates the CIA's actions, as that aligns with the USA's interests, and the media outlets act the way they do because of capitalism and profit, as laid out in Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent. Not everything has to be a grand conspiracy with Machiavellian puppetmasters. The world is a random chaotic place that is the resulting emergent sum of a bunch of smartphone wielding monkeys acting in their own self interest and playing The Prisoner's Dilemma on a global scale.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's true. People whining about "It's unconstitutional!!!" or "The Founders wouldn't stand for this!!!" don't know their history.

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The whole conspiracy theory over the origins of covid comes from a pretty typical place when it comes to the psychology of conspiracy theories in general.
My assessment of the lab leak theory comes from facts:

The city where the pandemic started has a virology institute that had recently started creating chimeric coronaviruses capable of infecting human cells and had in its possession the closest virus to COVID 19, which it sampled from a cave 1,000 miles away. Funding of this research was temporarily halted by the US government because of its potential danger before being reinstated a few years before thr pandemic.

The lab has the worlds largest collection of cornoavirus samples.

Scientists criticized the safety procedures of the lab prior to the pandemic.

The lab abruptly took down its public virus database in Sept. 2019 and has never shared that data.

The Chinese government has stonewalled an investigation of a possible lab leak.

Tons of effort has gone into the search for a possible intermediate animal host for spillover and come up with nothing.

Lab leaks of dangerous pathogens have happened many times before.

Ralph Baric thinks a lab leak is possible.

The city where the pandemic started has a virology institute that had recently started creating chimeric coronaviruses capable of infecting human cells and had in its possession the closest virus to COVID 19, which it sampled from a cave 1,000 miles away. Funding of this research was temporarily halted by the US government because of its potential danger before being reinstated a few years before thr pandemic.

The lab abruptly took down its public virus database in Sept. 2019 and has never shared that data.

Tons of effort has gone into the search for a possible intermediate animal host for spillover and come up with nothing.

We will never know, China isn't giving up any info. But I think you might be correct as it makes sense.

FunkMiller

The US intelligence community could not agree that it was a lab leak. In fact, most believe it was of natural origin. Only one thought a leak was possible. Not saying it's not possible, but the results of investigations don't bear out the hypothesis. Further enquiry needed, but none of the things you list were conclusive. The 'facts' aren't good enough.

Last edited:

QSD

The US intelligence community could not agree that it was a lab leak. In fact, most believe it was of natural origin. Only one thought a leak was possible. Not saying it's not possible, but the results of investigations don't bear out the hypothesis. Further enquiry needed, but none of the things you list were conclusive. The 'facts' aren't good enough.
I don't know if it's still on but there was talk on twitter of a debate between Yuri Deigin (nemesis of Bret Weinstein and also believer in the lab leak hypothesis) and Christopher Kavanagh (of Decoding the Gurus fame, fighter of conspiratorial thinking) on the topic of lab leak vs zoonosis. David Fuller of Rebel Wisdom was prepared to host this. I was kind of looking forward to it. Will post here if there's a definitive date.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't know if it's still on but there was talk on twitter of a debate between Yuri Deigin (nemesis of Bret Weinstein and also believer in the lab leak hypothesis) and Christopher Kavanagh (of Decoding the Gurus fame, fighter of conspiratorial thinking) on the topic of lab leak vs zoonosis. David Fuller of Rebel Wisdom was prepared to host this. I was kind of looking forward to it. Will post here if there's a definitive date.
I'd like to see that.

Key word "possible".

The only real major shift in the last year was that the lab leak graduated from a fringe theory to a plausible one. There's still major holes in both the lab leak and natural origin theories, so nothing can really be known for sure until more data is collected. Hopefully this will clear up with the passage of time since it'll be very good to know our history when the next pandemic comes around.

DapperSloth

Man the leaders down there are the most stupid ass fuckers I've seen. People and children dying and they are like:

nothing GIF

I recommend watching this short video just to see the retardation emanating from these "leaders" and their "results".

I don't discount the possibility of the virus originating from a lab, but I guess my question at this point is what does it matter? Nobody will do anything about it even if there was proof. People said Trump (or at least his supporters did) was the toughest on China and even he wouldn't do a damn thing if this was proven to be true, so there's little chance Biden would. I guess it would just fall into the 97340931658056109471394179 other things to criticize China for and say "somebody should hold them accountable" while we all continue to trade with them and outsource all of our manufacturing to them.

Nobody_Important

I don't discount the possibility of the virus originating from a lab, but I guess my question at this point is what does it matter?
It matters in the sense of wanting to know the truth, but beyond that it really doesn't matter. In my opinion the origination of Covid falls under the same umbrella as all the other nonsense that people use to distract away from the very real issues surrounding the pandemic.

People just going to town on a handful of trees and not seeing the whole god damn forest behind them.

DeaDPo0L84

Man the leaders down there are the most stupid ass fuckers I've seen. People and children dying and they are like:

nothing GIF

I recommend watching this short video just to see the retardation emanating from these "leaders" and their "results".

You do realize political figures were shitting on the vaccine almost before it was even rolled out due to who was in charge at the time right? Vaccine hesitancy isn't strictly due to steps that have been taken NOW.

I work in Healthcare, I get updates to the point of annoyance about covid every single day and am 100% in support of the vaccine. Because of my work me and my wife were able to get our shot pretty early and we did it without hesitation and would encourage anyone who ask to do the same. It might even shock you to find out that I'm a *gasp* conservative. I also support a person's right to choose their medical path regardless if I think it's ridiculous or completely insane, that's their right along with the potential consequences.

Also if a governor is saying "you're not required to have the vaccine" a civilian can still...guess what...go get the vaccine. Since when did grown ass people sit around and NEED political figures to babysit them 24/7? Do you need a old ass person telling you what you can and can't do every hour of the day? If you want the vaccine go get it, I'm pretty sure it's in vending machines at this point.

If people dont want to get vaccinated and choose to consult their Dr and take ivermectin so 🤷. It doesn't impact you and it's getting tiring seeing people pretend to give a flying fuck about absolute strangers dying that otherwise they would've never known about unless they were shoved in some sad video to get a narrative across. Suddenly people's lives can be used for brownie points so it's all the rage.

Then people say "well yes but then a unvaccinated person could give me covid even though I have the vaccine", well then wear a mask to be extra cautious. But 99% of the time you will be absolutely fine and at worse you'll get a 2 week vacation from work with pay with a mild cold and you can chill and play some games.

Toons

Heard a joke today read to me by a guy in a shop that said "if the vaccine works, why do I need it? If the vaccine doesn't work? Why do I need it?"

I couldn't tell definitely if the guy who communicated this to me agreed with that sentiment or not, he just was telling me he read it, before I divulged from the subject because i didn't feel like discussing this, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was the former honestly. *sigh*

Does this actually even make sense to some people? Like really?

Last edited:

DapperSloth

1) You do realize political figures were shitting on the vaccine almost before it was even rolled out due to who was in charge at the time right? Vaccine hesitancy isn't strictly due to steps that have been taken NOW. I work in Healthcare, I get updates to the point of annoyance about covid every single day and am 100% in support of the vaccine. Because of my work me and my wife were able to get our shot pretty early and we did it without hesitation and would encourage anyone who ask to do the same. It might even shock you to find out that I'm a *gasp* conservative. I also support a person's right to choose their medical path regardless if I think it's ridiculous or completely insane, that's their right along with the potential consequences.

2) Also if a governor is saying "you're not required to have the vaccine" a civilian can still...guess what...go get the vaccine. Since when did grown ass people sit around and NEED political figures to babysit them 24/7? Do you need a old ass person telling you what you can and can't do every hour of the day? If you want the vaccine go get it, I'm pretty sure it's in vending machines at this point.

3) If people dont want to get vaccinated and choose to consult their Dr and take ivermectin so 🤷. It doesn't impact you and it's getting tiring seeing people pretend to give a flying fuck about absolute strangers dying that otherwise they would've never known about unless they were shoved in some sad video to get a narrative across. Suddenly people's lives can be used for brownie points so it's all the rage. Then people say "well yes but then a unvaccinated person could give me covid even though I have the vaccine", well then wear a mask to be extra cautious. But 99% of the time you will be absolutely fine and at worse you'll get a 2 week vacation from work with pay with a mild cold and you can chill and play some games.

1) Oh fuck yeah I know that they have been doing that since the beginning, it is nothing new ofc, but it is just baffling to still see them that stupid after all the data about the vaccine and how it prevents you to not get more sick. Not to mention all the vaccinations all over the world and, guess what, no massdeath or government controlling you with a joystick from the basement of Pentagon.

2) I've had my shot too, and I agree, if you don't want to take the shot and you die well sucks to be you. Apparently many grown people are babies, so go figure? (I'm agreeing with you here). But seriously, if you are a governor/mayor/whatever, and you say that you don't have to get the vaccine, then you were dropped on the head when you were a baby, because it is your job to protect your citizens. Come on man, children are being affected now too because of their decisions.

3) Yeah I posted the video to show the absurdity (still) of the governors in the south and how stupid they are and how many places are still so so poorly unvaccinated. Shit, if people want to take ivermectin or shove bleach up their asses it's not my concern and I don't care, like you said it is their choice. The info has been online for 1 year now on the vaccine and what it prevents.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It doesn't impact you and it's getting tiring seeing people pretend to give a flying fuck about absolute strangers dying that otherwise they would've never known about unless they were shoved in some sad video to get a narrative across.
It does impact me. All these easily preventable COVID patients in the hospital are needlessly taking up space that could be going towards cancer patients, heart attack victims, accident victims, and other people needing emergency services. This further impacts me since the local government must then implement strict, economy-destroying restrictions in order to curb the number of hospital patients. Thus my business becomes vulnerable, my friends' businesses become vulnerable, and the entire community becomes more unstable because too many people don't want a free vaccine.

Meanwhile, I look at other countries that have high vaccination rates, sensible disease prevention protocols, and universal healthcare opening back up again because their hospitalizations are kept in check.

This is why we can't have nice things.

It does impact me. All these easily preventable COVID patients in the hospital are needlessly taking up space that could be going towards cancer patients, heart attack victims, accident victims, and other people needing emergency services. This further impacts me since the local government must then implement strict, economy-destroying restrictions in order to curb the number of hospital patients. Thus my business becomes vulnerable, my friends' businesses become vulnerable, and the entire community becomes more unstable because too many people don't want a free vaccine.

Meanwhile, I look at other countries that have high vaccination rates, sensible disease prevention protocols, and universal healthcare opening back up again because their hospitalizations are kept in check.

This is why we can't have nice things.
This. How do people still not get that personal choices impact others? It’s basic shit to understand.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Stern goes in hard.

On Tuesday’s edition of Sirius XM’s The Howard Stern Show, the host gleefully derided the recent slew of conservative radio hosts who railed against masks or vaccines or both, only to later become sick and die of the disease.

“It’s really funny when these radio, the radio guys are the best, they’re like four of them died, four of them were like ranting on the air. They will not get vaccinated. They were they were on fire, these guys, it was like day after day, they were all dying and then their dying words are ‘I wish I had been more into the vaccine. I wish I had taken it.'” Stern said, laughing several times.

“You know, I have trouble drumming up compassion, and I think that’s a terrible thing to not be able to drum up compassion for people that are stupid, that they wind up dying,” co-host Robin Quivers said.

Where do I have that clip of that Mark, [Marc Bernier], er the guy who died. I got it. Here it is. This is the guy,” Stern said, playing a clip of Bernier saying he would not get the vaccine.

Stern remarked that there are three others, and “they’re on the radio preaching this shit.”

“I’ll tell you what, far as I remember, when I went to school, you had to get a measles vaccine, you had to get a mumps vaccine, you had to get, it was a ton of them,” Stern said.

“When are we going to stop putting up with the idiots in this country and just say, you know, it’s mandatory to get vaccinated?” Stern asked. “Fuck them, fuck their freedom. I want my freedom to live. I want to get out of the house already. I want to go next door and play chess. I want to go take some pictures.”

FunkMiller

Beyond the direct effect of the virus itself, the thing that’s dismayed me so much about Covid is just how much it’s highlighted this ridiculous obsession America has with this idea of ‘freedom’… and not ’being told what to do’. It’s so incredibly childish. A nation full of people essentially screaming ”you’re not my dad!” and storming out the front door.

The irony being that on healthcare, America is probably one of the least ‘free’ developed countries on earth.

Top Bottom