• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Romulus

My brother took the first Pfizer shot in April but it made him feel like total shit and he refuses to take another. I know that's rare but does he have any protection at this point with one shot?

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
My brother took the first Pfizer shot in April but it made him feel like total shit and he refuses to take another. I know that's rare but does he have any protection at this point with one shot?
sure, I think it ranges from 30-80% efficacy after 1 shot

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Totally disagree with this line of thinking. It's like arguing that no one should eat 2 meals a day until everyone in the world eats 1 meal a day. That's just not how the world works. US citizens pay exorbitant amounts of money for their health care, and tax subsidize a large amount of the research into this stuff, and then pay for the vaccines in full through taxpayer money. US is already donating more vaccines than the rest of the world combined - meaning we're paying for it's development, the actual manufacturing and purchase of it, and then giving it away far more than anyone already.

If the data actually shows that vaccines lose their effectiveness after 6-8 months, then obviously a booster should be ordered. His characterization of the "world's poor being satisfied with leftovers" is frankly insulting bullshit. It's literally created, manufactured, and paid for by the countries wanting to use it on their own citizens. Calling that leftovers is insulting. WHO embarrassing themselves yet again. There is no way that the US is going to use taxpayer money to pay for the manufacturing of vaccines that we would then give away to other countries while US citizens are at risk of dying.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I mean, his job by definition is to worry about and speak for the poor countries getting vaccinated--and if we're being honest, it's safe to say he's right about nobody else giving a fuck--so I can certainly understand his frustrations

we've reached a point where we have an abundant amount of vaccines that we can't even get people to take, while they are begging for help and it doesn't even enter our peripheral awareness.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The US intelligence community could not agree that it was a lab leak. In fact, most believe it was of natural origin. Only one thought a leak was possible. Not saying it's not possible, but the results of investigations don't bear out the hypothesis. Further enquiry needed, but none of the things you list were conclusive. The 'facts' aren't good enough.

Do you not realize that there was no investigation because the Chinese government prevented it? The Western scientific establishment collaborated with the Chinese government to prevent it. Most of what we know is crowd sourced from public info like the FOIA request.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

I mean, his job by definition is to worry about and speak for the poor countries getting vaccinated--and if we're being honest, it's safe to say he's right about nobody else giving a fuck--so I can certainly understand his frustrations

we've reached a point where we have an abundant amount of vaccines that we can't even get people to take, while they are begging for help and it doesn't even enter our peripheral awareness.
Hospitals are overrun and the economy has stalled. Children are starting to get COVID now right as schools are opening, fall is starting, and labor day just happened. The solution is going to be vaccine mandates, not giving away the only thing we have to return the country to some sense of basic safety. At what point of vaccine degradation would you think it's morally okay for US citizens to not fund vaccines that are given away, and instead pay for the ones they take themselves? 70% protection from hospitalization/death? 50%? 25%? They're going to decrease in effectiveness, which is the only reason a booster is being recommended.

I've always supported the suspension of patent protections on the vaccines though, so that any country that is capable can start manufacturing it. That should have already happened a long time ago, since any unvaccinated portions of the world can lead to variants and continued spread. But the solution is not to let US citizens start dying so that the numbers of deaths are more equitable. The solution is to ramp up production capacity and continue following the science on how long vaccines remain effective.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Do you not realize that there was no investigation because the Chinese government prevented it? The Western scientific establishment collaborated with the Chinese government to prevent it. Most of what we know is crowd sourced from public info like the FOIA request.

The Office Reaction GIF

Jaysen

Banned
Horse paste has an 85 percent sterilization rate? I take back all the negative things I said about it. Slather that shit on your morning toast, hicks.

Thaedolus

I’m assuming you meant tested positive again? Testing negative would mean they don’t have symptoms.

😂
They both have been totally fine except I measured that both had very mild fevers a couple days ago which didn’t last more than a a couple hours (I think maybe the touch free thermometer isn’t the most accurate). Second negative test about a week after potential exposure. Also, the three year old had COVID last year and the baby potentially got antibodies in utero. So I’m guessing they’re fine to leave our little quarantine any time, we just need to confirm with the health department and daycares.

Star-Lord

They both have been totally fine except I measured that both had very mild fevers a couple days ago which didn’t last more than a a couple hours (I think maybe the touch free thermometer isn’t the most accurate). Second negative test about a week after potential exposure. Also, the three year old had COVID last year and the baby potentially got antibodies in utero. So I’m guessing they’re fine to leave our little quarantine any time, we just need to confirm with the health department and daycares.
Ah, man, sorry to hear about the sprig. I’m glad she’s alright now, mind, along with the rest of your family. That’s all that matters in the end.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Rogan has Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying on his latest episode.

Can't wait to see what people go overboard with on this one regarding his COVID takes.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Rogan has Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying on his latest episode.

Can't wait to see what people go overboard with on this one regarding his COVID takes.
It would be nice if they at least acknowledge the criticism and talk about it. I'm certainly interested.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It would be nice if they at least acknowledge the criticism and talk about it. I'm certainly interested.
He said in the beginning he wasn't vaccinated. He said months ago he wasn't, but he never made public if he'd have gotten the vaccine since. So he confirmed it.

Only 2 minutes in and I've already heard something I know people are going to blow out of proportion. I'm paraphrasing, but he said "It's a shame people don't know there's things you can do out there to help you recover if you haven't been vaccinated" and then talks about vitamin D and losing weight again. I can pretty much guarantee within 48 hours that is going to be framed as "Joe Rogan says don't take the vaccine and follow his pseudo-science to recover from COVID."

QSD

It's pretty amazing how this Ivermectin story just keeps on going and going, I thought Bret and Heather were kind of done for when so many people went after them but here they are on Rogan again! I really don't know how this is going to play out in the future, I'll just grab some more popcorn and keep watching.

Punished Miku

He said in the beginning he wasn't vaccinated. He said months ago he wasn't, but he never made public if he'd have gotten the vaccine since. So he confirmed it.

Only 2 minutes in and I've already heard something I know people are going to blow out of proportion. I'm paraphrasing, but he said "It's a shame people don't know there's things you can do out there to help you recover if you haven't been vaccinated" and then talks about vitamin D and losing weight again. I can pretty much guarantee within 48 hours that is going to be framed as "Joe Rogan says don't take the vaccine and follow his pseudo-science to recover from COVID."
I'll have to check it out when I'm off work, but I appreciate the summaries.

He's really just setting himself for further criticism. I think people honestly know about eating well and taking vitamins already, so I feel he's really downplaying the negative effect of what he's saying. Sure, we need to do a lot more to promote health and exercise, but I still find what he's saying to be really unhelpful given the current pandemic crisis going on at the moment.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Bret's position appears to be more more "COVID is very serious and if there's any drug out there that can improve your chances of survival once you get COVID, then I don't want doctors afraid to prescribe these things and have people die, because dishonest people with agendas are trying to nip these conversations in the bud" than it is "Don't take the vaccine, take Ivermectin."

Bret has always been very pro vaccine, and has always taken COVID seriously.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Bret's position appears to be more more "COVID is very serious and if there's any drug out there that can improve your chances of survival once you get COVID, then I don't want doctors afraid to prescribe these things and have people die, because dishonest people with agendas are trying to nip these conversations in the bud" than it is "Don't take the vaccine, take Ivermectin."

Are either of them accepting any responsibility at all for "inadvertently" contributing to conversation downplaying the importance of the COVID vaccine?

If it's all just excuses, I'm going to be disappointed in them both. Even if that was never Brett's position or Joe's position, both of their stances emphasizing exercise/ivermectin over vaccines have clearly been abused by disinformation campaigns and are playing a negative role in the pandemic.

QSD

Are either of them accepting any responsibility at all for "inadvertently" contributing to conversation downplaying the importance of the COVID vaccine?

If it's all just excuses, I'm going to be disappointed in them both. Even if that was never Brett's position or Joe's position, both of their stances emphasizing exercise/ivermectin over vaccines have clearly been abused by disinformation campaigns and are playing a negative role in the pandemic.
I'm listening and so far there is very little engagement with the criticism, a lot of mutual back-patting

MastaKiiLA

Getting my first stab of Sinopharm on the 16th. Not a great vaccine, but something is better than nothing. And hopefully, after the 2 shots, we can get a booster of Pfizer or AZ later in the year. I need to travel to Bangkok to get some stuff done at the embassy, so getting vaccinated will make getting on a plane a lot less nerve-wracking.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

I had to pause it, but so far they haven't really talked about how the drama with how their stances have been portrayed at all.

ntropy

Small study across three universities, but 85%. Will be interesting if there is a larger followup.
Editor’s note: Following audience concerns over the efficacy and accuracy of the scientific methods used in the ivermectin study performed in Nigeria in 2011, the original publishing station, KTSM, issued the following correction:

FOR THE RECORD: A national story regarding Ivermectin and a study regarding its effect on men’s reproductive health that KTSM published, has been removed from our website.

Concerns over the scientific research methods, the veracity of the original, peer-reviewed report and public statements by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) saying that infertility is not a known side effect of Ivermectin all led to our editorial decision to remove the story.

unimpressed oprah GIF

I'm listening and so far there is very little engagement with the criticism, a lot of mutual back-patting
650k dead, hospitals at breaking point throughout the country, despite us having an extremely effective and safe vaccine readily available.

vs

some irresponsible reporting on ‘horse dewormer’, and them being butthurt about getting made fun of.

It doesn’t take a genius to know what they will focus on.

GamingKaiju

So UK peeps... "Firebreaker lockdown" in October. What odds are we doing that it goes ahead?

I reckon it will not because we need it or Hospitals are been overwhelmed, just because the Goverenment wants to be seen doing something and they're evil pricks to boot.

waiting for my second dose but not taking those boosters shots. i Still feel like shit 2 weeks later
Still don’t understand this logic.

If the vaccine was originally one dose and the booster was the second shot would you refuse to take it?

Either we eventually need to boost fading immunity or we don’t.

QSD

I don't know about this, there was that podcast where he had Steve Kirsch on who was talking about babies with bloody fucked up brains being born because of vaccines, which seems to me to be abject fear mongering. Bret never even pushed back...

650k dead, hospitals at breaking point throughout the country, despite us having an extremely effective and safe vaccine readily available.

vs

some irresponsible reporting on ‘horse dewormer’, and them being butthurt about getting made fun of.

It doesn’t take a genius to know what they will focus on.
I find B+H to be pretty exasperating figures. They really fucked up promoting some dodgy anti-vax stuff but when I listen to them talk about stuff from their book I find myself agreeing with most of what they say, so it's hard for me to completely disown them

Punished Miku

Saw a few clips on my lunch break from Rogan today. It's just not a mystery any more what their stances are here.

Full blown, unambiguous advocacy for taking Ivermectin. Says straight up that you need to have doctors that aren't afraid to prescribe it. Calls all stories of ivermectin overdose toxicologically impossible and fake news.

Then goes into a lecture about how the vaccine causes variants.

I liked the commentary on Fauci though, and totally agree that he should be aggressively fired from his job from a cannon.

So at the end of the day, we're stuck trying to determine who is telling the truth on this. It's pretty much impossible at this point unless you want to start running your own experiments. You just have to make your own choice on who you want to trust I guess. What a disaster.

It's an awful idea to have this kind of controversial subject matter discussed with 3 people that already agree with each other, and zero push back on anything.

So UK peeps... "Firebreaker lockdown" in October. What odds are we doing that it goes ahead?

I reckon it will not because we need it or Hospitals are been overwhelmed, just because the Goverenment wants to be seen doing something and they're evil pricks to boot.

where has this come from?

Jaysen

Banned
Saw a few clips on my lunch break from Rogan today. It's just not a mystery any more what their stances are here.

Full blown, unambiguous advocacy for taking Ivermectin. Says straight up that you need to have doctors that aren't afraid to prescribe it. Calls all stories of ivermectin overdose toxicologically impossible and fake news.

I liked the commentary on Fauci though, and totally agree that he should be aggressively fired from his job from a cannon.

So at the end of the day, we're stuck trying to determine who is telling the truth on this. It's pretty much impossible at this point unless you want to start running your own experiments. You just have to make your own choice on who you want to trust I guess. What a disaster.

It's an awful idea to have this kind of controversial subject matter discussed with 3 people that already agree with each other, and zero push back on anything.
Joe actively avoids pushback. It exposes more than usual that he’s just an uneducated moron.

QSD

One thing that's galling is that David Fuller/Rebel Wisdom repeatedly tried to get Bret (or both) to come on and debate the ivermectin/vaxx stuff in a good faith discussion, but according to him they kept refusing. I'm like "goddamn you're supposed to be in the Intellectual Dark WEB which means you're supposed to HAVE the difficult discussion, not dodge it". I actually tweeted something like "without the Web aspect of the IDW all you're left with is the Intellectual Dark" at Bret in my frustration.

Top Bottom