• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

TheFarter

Banned
The line from the CDC website months ago was that the vaccines were effective against transmission. When the breakthrough cases everyone said well, they never said 100% effective.
It's not even a vaccine. More like a flu shot. Small pox, measles, etc...now those are vaccines.

Lot's of "breakthrough" sickness it seems. At least the shot makes it less shitty. Same with people who've had it before and catch it again. They're antibodies help like the shot does.

If people with diarrhea for brains didn’t infer that effective meant 100% protection then they wouldn’t have had to clarify. There’s no 100% effective medical intervention or countermeasure, if anyone took “effective” to mean that then they’ve just demonstrated why they don’t have the expertise to be opining on such things

We'll, initially the defense was that they were still 90% effective. Which also turned out to be a bunch of bs.

I guess I have diarrhea for brains but when I hear something is effective at preventing transmission I tend to take that as it works.

Thaedolus

We'll, initially the defense was that they were still 90% effective. Which also turned out to be a bunch of bs.

I guess I have diarrhea for brains but when I hear something is effective at preventing transmission I tend to take that as it works.
Do you think effective means 100% protection?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

You are really showing that you just have no idea what you are talking about here.

Great question by Mr. Beal here. Basically asking why we athletes, one of the healthiest people on this planet, must take the vaccine when it doesn't prevent from contacting cov19 and infecting others.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Great question by Mr. Beal here. Basically asking why we athletes, one of the healthiest people on this planet, must take the vaccine when it doesn't prevent from contacting cov19 and infecting others.

made it 20 seconds. it's not a great question bud

why not try actually looking into it...

edit. to be clear I don't think he should be made to get it (for obvious reasons) but he still asking dumb questions

it's like people misunderstand stuff and then argue with themselves in front of people, see D delirium trigger

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's not even a vaccine. More like a flu shot. Small pox, measles, etc...now those are vaccines.

Lot's of "breakthrough" sickness it seems. At least the shot makes it less shitty. Same with people who've had it before and catch it again. They're antibodies help like the shot does.
All vaccines have breakthrough infections, measles is only roughly 97% effective, smallpox 95% effective at preventing symptomatic infection initially. Most vaccines require booster shots to maintain that effectiveness - measles and smallpox included. Whooping cough is only 80 - 90% effective and that's after an initial shot and 4 boosters and that's in young kids.
Part of the problem is none of us have experienced a pandemic before, normally 70% effective may as well be 100% when your chances of being exposed are low. In a pandemic of this magnitude 80% effective means pretty close to 1 in 5 chance of a breakthrough infection because your chance of exposure over the course of a couple of years is close to 1.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
All vaccines have breakthrough infections, measles is only roughly 97% effective, smallpox 95% effective at preventing symptomatic infection initially. Most vaccines require booster shots to maintain that effectiveness - measles and smallpox included. Whooping cough is only 80 - 90% effective and that's after an initial shot and 4 boosters and that's in young kids.
Part of the problem is none of us have experienced a pandemic before, normally 70% effective may as well be 100% when your chances of being exposed are low. In a pandemic of this magnitude 80% effective means pretty close to 1 in 5 chance of a breakthrough infection because your chance of exposure over the course of a couple of years is close to 1.

Not to mention we still don't know how effective natural born immunity is from previous exposure and sickness is because it is still so early in the pandemic and because the delta is so much more contagious. The vaccines are guaranteed protection and we can track their efficacy in many ways that we just cannot with those who have recovered. I mean really listening to that athlete speak was like watching a child try to explain something with nothing more than anecdotes and feelings.

Toons

Even the quote in the tweet is incorrect misinformation reeking of stupidy.

No, it doesn't eliminate you from getting covid.

It just DRASTICALLY reduces the chances of it, and DRASTICALLY improves your chance of recovery should you get it.

.... this isnt hard people. Do people really not get the difference between those two statements??

Much like seatbelts don't guarantee you will survive a car crash. Or a skateboard helmet won't guarantee you dont get a concussion from a nasty bail.. It just dramatically decreases the chances of that happening, and thus is worth using.

Nobody_Important

Having to take tests while fully vaccinated is some serious BS.
But obviously still a positive because of the outcome. It's sucks yeah, but rather a positive test now before a rampant spread later.

Thats the whole reason that the testing exists in the first place.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

Strange...

suicide-gun.gif

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Please don't take health and epidemiology advice from a fucking professional athlete who is probably dumber and less informed than an average high schooler. He basically put on a clinic of stupidity and misinformation.
If Beal could improve his game so he scored 60%+ of his field goals, would he decide not to because he could still miss? Or because his team could still lose games?

This man is not a genius. Probably a good thing he gets paid to put balls in hoops.

It is a vaccine. How is it not a vaccine? Do you actually understand any of this, or just mindlessly regurgitate whatever some flu bro on twitter posts?
No vaccine is 100%. If we have a world wide pandemic of measles right now, we'd be seeing a lot more cases of measles too. But we don't because 95% of the entire population has been vaccinated against measles since infancy.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Please don't take health and epidemiology advice from a fucking professional athlete who is probably dumber and less informed than an average high schooler. He basically put on a clinic of stupidity and misinformation.
That's society for ya.

Life advice doesn't even have to be from a dumb spoiled athlete.

Who in their right mind who put important life lessons on the shoulders of any typical 25 year old? I know I wouldnt.

Ok, maybe if he has some experience at a certain thing I've never done (lets say the guy is a roofer or knows how to sail a boat which I have no clue how to do) then ya please share your advice. I'm too lazy to ask a 40 year old vet, so if youre the only guy around I'll ask.

But when idiots look up to celebs and even funnier these celebs thinking they are gods gift of father figureship to the world for holistic advice like politics, vaccines, "subscribe to my channel so I can plug my new shoes every month", family advice etc.... you got to be a moron to listen to these people.

I can understand teenagers who worship these people and think their parents are nagging nerds, but when you get older you "SHOULD" realize at some point you got to grow up and your parents actually gave you some decent advice. Ok, maybe boring as hell but assuming you dont got retarded parents, they probably gave you decent advice from living life at 40, 50, 60 years old. They've been around. A 25 year old athlete whose life revolves around a hockey rink or a basketball court 24/7 and doesn't even spend time at home with family for half the year is the last person for ultimate advice unless you want hockey or basketball tips or whats a good nutrition plan to get in shape.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I love how instead of having a good conversation about American incessant public displays of faith they take one person opinion for granted and run with it.

No, random crazy evangelical person who happens to be a politician - vaccine is not a gift from God, it’s a product of scientific thought. Industry which houses some of the most ardent atheists imaginable - you know, those that every day eliminate God from things that were attributed to him.

Last edited:

JumpMan1981

Banned
To be fair to them, professional athletes are far more likely to be hesitant when it comes to something like this. Any kind of unforseen side effect could be a career-ender. Many will look at the data for unvaccinated people and conclude that it's not worth taking the chance.

That being said, it's pretty crazy to take medical advice from them. Maybe the media shouldn't really be asking them about this kind of thing though.

Dont see what the two guys have done wrong. They've said that everyone needs to make their own decisions. That sounds reasonable. Too many people seem to think that the right thing to do here is berate or coerce others into getting vaccinated.

If the media outlets are so concerned about misinformation then maybe don't ask these lads about their opinions on vaccines and maybe don't broadcast their answers if you think it will cause a lot of people to be misinformed.

Seems like the purpose of these interviews and clips is to enrage vaccine apostles and get a load of clicks. The guys aren't saying much more than "yes, I am hesitant and everyone should be free to choose". Not really controversial at all.

kingkaiser

On the positive side little Vlad's state propaganda channel on German YouTube was finally banned due to spreading misinformation about the pandemic. To see them paid trolls whining about it like little babies really made my day.

Even the quote in the tweet is incorrect misinformation reeking of stupidy.

No, it doesn't eliminate you from getting covid.

It just DRASTICALLY reduces the chances of it, and DRASTICALLY improves your chance of recovery should you get it.

.... this isnt hard people. Do people really not get the difference between those two statements??

Much like seatbelts don't guarantee you will survive a car crash. Or a skateboard helmet won't guarantee you dont get a concussion from a nasty bail.. It just dramatically decreases the chances of that happening, and thus is worth using.
If you present it that way, it's quite wrong, too.
It reduces the chance of getting it, but not drastically. If you use those words you should put a number on it. Everyone has a different definition of drastically.

Chicken pox drastically reduces the chance of getting it. Like to 1 in 1000 compared to definitely
For covid that's 40 in 100 compared to definitely.

It drastically improves your chance to get a mild version, but if you get a bad outbreak of covid, the vaccine doesn't help much.

There is just a slight difference in the share of people administered to the hospital because of covid and the intensive care needed here in Germany across vaccinated.
First is around 6% for age group 18 to 59 and 4.5% for the latter. Age group 60+ it's 20% for hospital administration and 17% for intensive care needed.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Any kind of unforseen side effect could be a career-ender.
You know what's also a career ender? Severe illness from COVID19. Fortunately, a young fit person like him will probably not develop that. Even more fortunately, is that career ending severe illness is even less likely from the vaccine by an astronomical amount, as well as helping to insulate himself from being a vector of transmission that could endanger his friends of family members who aren't so young or fit as he is.

Dont see what the two guys have done wrong.
They insinuated that the vaccine doesn't protect you from catching COVID even though it does, as if the situation is a binary 100% effective or no difference. "It doesn't eliminate anyone from getting COVID". That's wrong. The vaccine has prevented huge amounts of people from catching COVID.
They've said that everyone needs to make their own decisions. That sounds reasonable.
That is a reasonable statement. Don't forget all the other misinformation they presented.
The guys aren't saying much more than "yes, I am hesitant and everyone should be free to choose".
Yes it is much more than that. Don't ignore the misinformation and false equivalences.

Thaedolus

serious question here- are so many old republicans going to die that it will be impact elections? Has anyone done the math on this?

Considering how razor thin the margins can be…it does seem going anti vax could be a huge self own purely in terms of eliminating your own voting base

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It reduces the chance of getting it, but not drastically. If you use those words you should put a number on it. Everyone has a different definition of drastically.

Chicken pox drastically reduces the chance of getting it. Like to 1 in 1000 compared to definitely

What adjective do you use to describe a 5X reduction in risk factor?

mm7037e1_HospitalizationDeathVaccineStatus_IMAGE_10Sept21_1200x675-medium.jpg

What adjective do you use to describe a 1 in 5,000 to a 1 in 10,000 chance of catching COVID19?

The estimates here are based on statistics from three places that have reported detailed data on Covid infections by vaccination status: Utah; Virginia; and King County, which includes Seattle, in Washington state. All three are consistent with the idea that about one in 5,000 vaccinated Americans have tested positive for Covid each day in recent weeks.

The chances are surely higher in the places with the worst Covid outbreaks, like the Southeast. And in places with many fewer cases — like the Northeast, as well as the Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco areas — the chances are lower, probably less than 1 in 10,000. That’s what the Seattle data shows, for example. (These numbers don’t include undiagnosed cases, which are often so mild that people do not notice them and do not pass the virus to anyone else.)

Here’s one way to think about a one-in-10,000 daily chance: It would take more than three months for the combined risk to reach just 1 percent.
“There’s been a lot of miscommunication about what the risks really are to vaccinated people, and how vaccinated people should be thinking about their lives,” as Dr. Ashish Jha of Brown University told my colleague Tara Parker-Pope.

It drastically improves your chance to get a mild version, but if you get a bad outbreak of covid, the vaccine doesn't help much.
Your risk assessment is wrong. It DOES help much because it reduces your chance of getting severely sick in the first place.

JumpMan1981

Banned
You know what's also a career ender? Severe illness from COVID19. Fortunately, a young fit person like him will probably not develop that. Even more fortunately, is that career ending severe illness is even less likely from the vaccine by an astronomical amount, as well as helping to insulate himself from being a vector of transmission that could endanger his friends of family members who aren't so young or fit as he is.
Dude, do you have your own personal Bat-Signal for this thread or something? LOL.

Like I said it seems a bit silly for the media to be asking non-experts about covid and vaccines then broadcasting those opinions and then finally sitting back and watching as the mob comes in to shred those opinions and pick the bones. It's all basically theatre at this point.

Same with what's her name last week with the swollen testicles. Easy enough to ignore her but instead everyone needs to makes sure every one sees them getting their hits in. Everyone! Look how I corrected the stupid singing lady!

Just saying that athletes probably would have their own concerns regarding side effects and might opt to not get the vaccine because of that. So maybe they are not the best people to ask or over analyse here.

I get it. When you are a hammer everything is a nail but I really just don't think the reaction is necessary in this case. The guys are entitled to their opinions. They were asked the questions and they answered based on their own perspectives. Are we surprised that athletes don't have the same in depth knowledge as doctors or statisticians?

Is it fair for the media to put them on the spot like that so they can be the next celebrity nominated for "punching bag of the week"?

Both examples here I thought the guys answered pretty well and got their points across pretty well too. I can kind of sympathise with them.

What should I do instead? Start flipping out and calling them selfish bastards or whatever? Call them anti-vax when in reality they are more like "vaccine hesitant" or something?

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What should I do instead? Start flipping out and calling them selfish bastards or whatever? Call them anti-vax when in reality their are more like "vaccine hesitant" or something?
Nope. You should do what I did and point out and then politely correct the misinformation.

serious question here- are so many old republicans going to die that it will be impact elections? Has anyone done the math on this?

(Not from USA) but I saw news saying that one republican lose X amount of people in his place to COVID, that amount of people is more than the winning margin he had the last time. So it could happen if those people are the ones who voted for him.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

There is just a slight difference in the share of people administered to the hospital because of covid and the intensive care needed here in Germany across vaccinated.
First is around 6% for age group 18 to 59 and 4.5% for the latter. Age group 60+ it's 20% for hospital administration and 17% for intensive care needed.
The problem with pulling numbers out of your ass is that they will almost definitely be wrong.
The chicken-pox vaccine is roughly 80% effective after 1 dose, 90% effective after an initial dose and a booster shot - when given to children.
Get infected with chicken pox and the virus often lives inside you for the rest of your life just waiting for a chance to reactivate. You don't normally 'catch' shingles, the virus that has been surviving in your body since you were a kid reactivates and fucks you up.

Cyberpunkd

(Not from USA) but I saw news saying that one republican lose X amount of people in his place to COVID, that amount of people is more than the winning margin he had the last time. So it could happen if those people are the ones who voted for him.
And this is the reason why a Republicans do not have a master plan, they are as stupid as their Democratic counterparts. They willingly are letting their most ardent voters simply die.

RAÏSanÏa

Local data in to back up the unsupported speculation I made back in early August that children would be the most vulnerable to catching Delta.
Looking forward to finding out what studies show are the reasons and how it lines up with that speculation.

The data shows as of mid-September, those five to eight years old and those nine to 11 lead the way for transmission of the virus.
As of this week, around 30 people out of 100,000 aged nine to 11 in B.C. are getting COVID and 22 out of 100,000 aged five to eight are getting the virus.
The next highest group are 18 to 39-year-olds at a rate of 15 out of every 100,000.
Big age bracket there with 18-39.
Backed up by this guick slice of what's currently happening in Saskatchewan with new cases.
2xrirl1itaq71.png

BC school boards are taking their own initiatives to expand on provincial restrictions as needed.
Some good news as September closes out, the daily cases in the province are lower than 30% below the 1200/day predicted by modeling at the start of the month and covid ICU numbers continue to go down.

The comparison with Alberta is getting too lopsided to keep up regularly anymore.
The decision was in last week on which province had the policy failure in pandemic response.

A rep in the AB gov tried to pin the fault for the near overcapacity of the ICU on AHS CEO Verna Yiu, not the lack of covid policy from the government. That lady and Alberta health did amazing work expanding the system to handle what it has had to so far and kept the death rate as low as it is in those circumstances with those patients. Reporters were wondering why the AB health services CEO was appearing at news conferences earlier in the month when apparently no other provincial CEO has. Now it's looking like it may have been an attempt by the sitting government to shift blame as much as possible.

Nobody_Important

Local data in to back up the unsupported speculation I made back in early August that children would be the most vulnerable to catching Delta.
Looking forward to finding out what studies show are the reasons and how it lines up with that speculation.

Big age bracket there with 18-39.
Backed up by this guick slice of what's currently happening in Saskatchewan with new cases.
2xrirl1itaq71.png

BC school boards are taking their own initiatives to expand on provincial restrictions as needed.
Some good news as September closes out, the daily cases in the province are lower than 30% below the 1200/day predicted by modeling at the start of the month and covid ICU numbers continue to go down.

The comparison with Alberta is getting too lopsided to keep up regularly anymore.
The decision was in last week on which province had the policy failure in pandemic response.

A rep in the AB gov tried to pin the fault for the near overcapacity of the ICU on AHS CEO Verna Yiu, not the lack of covid policy from the government. That lady and Alberta health did amazing work expanding the system to handle what it has had to so far and kept the death rate as low as it is in those circumstances with those patients. Reporters were wondering why the AB health services CEO was appearing at news conferences earlier in the month when apparently no other provincial CEO has. Now it's looking like it may have been an attempt by the sitting government to shift blame as much as possible.

Thats insane. The fact that they are only able to keep pace with the number of people because they are dying is horrifying.

Top Bottom