• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
QE8B5CJm.jpeg
This woman shouts to the world "HE WILL KILL US ALL!!" via vaccines, and then is able to completely memory hole it a few months later and nobody remembers or cares.

I know some of our European friends love to blame Trump voters for American problems revealed by the pandemic, but this is profound derangement with much more impact than a random person in rural Kansas posting on Facebook.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This woman shouts to the world "HE WILL KILL US ALL!!" via vaccines, and then is able to completely memory hole it a few months later and nobody remembers or cares.

I know some of our European friends love to blame Trump voters for American problems revealed by the pandemic, but this is profound derangement with much more impact than a random person in rural Kansas posting on Facebook.
Do you really not understand the difference between not wanting to bypass or force FDA approval, and being supportive of mandates for a vaccine that has been on the market for a year and safely administered to hundreds of millions of people?

You really have to do some serious mental gymnastics to make this hypocritical.

Chaplain

Awful. Tragic. Horrible.

Now do all the deaths from covid for the past 18 months.

Nothing is ever 100% safe. The vaccine is many thousands of times safer than covid.

What is needed are honest conversations that tell people the truth. Some will die from the vaccines, some will have medical complications, but the vast majority are fine now (we will not know the long-term effects of the vaccine (if there are any) for many years). One way to help those that are hesitant would be for the pharmaceutical companies or government to pay for all medical complications brought on by those who are compelled to take the vaccine. The fact that they are immune from any financial obligation looks suspicious to many (including myself).

FunkMiller

What is needed are honest conversations that tell people the truth. Some will die from the vaccines, some will have medical complications, but the vast majority are fine now (we will not know the long-term effects of the vaccine (if there are any) for many years). One way to help those that are hesitant would be for the pharmaceutical companies or government to pay for all medical complications brought on by those who are compelled to take the vaccine. The fact that they are immune from any financial obligation looks suspicious to many (including myself).

You mean like the countless medical healthcare professionals repeatedly telling you for months and months that the vaccines are very safe, and that getting it helps everyone around you?

Also… let’s see the stats for how many unvaccinated people are dying right alongside those vaccine death stats, yeah?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Awful. Tragic. Horrible.

Now do all the deaths from covid for the past 18 months.

Nothing is ever 100% safe. The vaccine is many thousands of times safer than covid.
Totally.

No doubt some people (out of the 100s of millions of people who have got the vax) got sick from it or died. Shit happens.

It's like saying if your house is on fire, you should call 911 get everyone out of the house. Sounds reasonable. The fire trucks will arrive in 5 minutes and do their best to put it out.

But some won't and will try to put out the flames themselves because it'll save the house better than waiting for firemen to arrive. And it can be true. If someone whips out a garden house fast enough, they might beat the fire instead of waiting for it to spread as it takes time for them to arrive.

But using your head, just call 911.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You mean like the countless medical healthcare professionals repeatedly telling you for months and months that the vaccines are very safe, and that getting it helps everyone around you?

Also… let’s see the stats for how many unvaccinated people are dying right alongside those vaccine death stats, yeah?
Dont argue with Gameanalyst. You can tell he's an antivaxxer. 99% of people can be saved with a pill prescribed by a doctor, but he'll focus on stories which the 1% had issues.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
So the miniscule amount of complications the vast majority of which are non-life threatening makes you have questions and suspicions. Meanwhile the BILLION plus doses that have been safely administered with little to no side effect at all do nothing for you? What about the dozens of statistics that show the vaccine is irrefutably safe and effective? Does that do anything to sway your opinion?

Or are you still gonna go searching social media for people who don't know what they are talking about to tell you things that you wanna hear?

Last edited:

Chaplain

Dont argue with Gameanalyst. You can tell he's an antivaxxer. 99% of people can be saved with a pill prescribed by a doctor, but he'll focus on stories which the 1% had issues.
I Dont Know GIF by Djemilah Birnie

So the miniscule amount of complications the vast majority of which are non-life threatening makes you have questions and suspicions. Meanwhile the BILLION plus doses that have been safely administered with little to no side effect at all do nothing for you? What about the dozens of statistics that show the vaccine is irrefutably safe and effective? Does that do anything to sway your opinion?

Or are you still gonna go searching social media for people who don't know what they are talking about to tell you things that you wanna hear?

Good questions. 1) I am not hesitant, 2) I have both shots and will get the booster in November (I can have it now but had side effects from the first two shots that required me to take days off from work), 3) I work in health care, 4) I visit COVID patients 5-days a week (I go into their rooms), 5) My last post was about those who are hesitant to take the vaccine, 6) It might help everyone to self-reflect and see what biases come to the surface when reading posts that trigger them, and 7) people have been lied to for so long that they are scared by those (in authority) using the vaccine as a political weapon.

edited

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Good questions. 1) I am not hesitant, 2) I have both shots and will get the booster in November (I can have it now but had side effects from the first two shots that required me to take days off from work), 3) I work in health care, 4) I visit COVID patients 5-days a week (I go into their rooms), 5) My last post was about those who are hesitant to take the vaccine, 6) It might help everyone to self-reflect and see what biases come to the surface when reading posts that trigger them, and 7) people have been lied to for so long that they are scared by those (in authority) using the vaccine as a political weapon.

edited
or maybe years of garbage media consumption that aim only to validate your beliefs has led to having a distorted sense of reality and left you feeling like you have been deceived,

you make it seem like people are in the "skeptical" stage , but they continue to willfully consume garbage from media pundits that are selling you car ads over qualified and learned scientists that have 0 incentive to lie to you.

edit not meaning to dogpile on you; I appreciate your posts and presence in this thread. sadly the other so-called "skeptics" have mostly abandoned us

Last edited:

Chaplain

or maybe years of garbage media consumption that aim only to validate your beliefs has led to having a distorted sense of reality and left you feeling like you have been deceived, who can say ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

you make it seem like people are in the "skeptical" stage , but they continue to willfully consume garbage from media pundits that are selling you car ads over qualified and learned scientists that have 0 incentive to lie to you.

you are being lied to, but not by who you think

My comments in the bolded section are from friends, family members, and health care workers.

Is it possible that you refrain from using the ad-hominem fallacy?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I Dont Know GIF by Djemilah Birnie

edited
Your words don't match the kind of tweets you post sometimes. That's all I'll say.

Chaplain

Your words don't match the kind of tweets you post sometimes. That's all I'll say.

Was only trying to ease the tension. Too many people are ideologically possessed in this thread and this has caused them to view others that are not part of their tribe as the enemy. I have seen this change gradually occur to members in this thread slowly throughout the year which has resulted in a greater and greater divide.

Also, I try to post tweets that show both sides of the COVID experience. Neither side has all the facts. To me, this means that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

edited

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Was only trying to ease the tension. Too many people are ideologically possessed in this thread and this has caused them to view others that are not part of their tribe as the enemy. I have seen this change gradually occur to members in this thread slowly throughout the year which has resulted in a greater and greater divide.

Also, I try to post tweets that show both sides of the COVID experience. Neither side has all the facts. To me, this means that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

edited
The vaccine is safe = fact

Vaccinated people are less likely to get sick with Covid = fact

Vaccinated people are less likely to get hospitalized due to Covid = fact

Vaccinated people are less likely to die due to Covid = fact

Those are the facts and they are the only ones that matter. Everything else is just smoke and bullshit from grifters and liars.

Chaplain

Those are the facts and they are the only ones that matter. Everything else is just smoke and bullshit from grifters and liars.

Understood. The only problem with viewing things in such an absolutist manner is that it stifles empathy and will ultimately lead to the exclusion of others (i.e., defensiveness hinders seeking the well-being of others). If your concern is to help others see things from your point of view, you will have to attempt to see things from their point of view. Just take a look at this thread and you will see what happens when people lack the capacity to see the world from another person's point of view.

edited

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Understood. The only problem with viewing things in such an absolutist manner is that it stifles empathy and will ultimately lead to the exclusion of others (i.e., defensiveness hinders seeking the well-being of others). If your concern is to help others see things from your point of view, you will have to attempt to see things from their point of view. Just take a look at this thread and you will see what happens when people lack the capacity to see the world from another person's point of view.

edited
Yes and no.

Anyone can have viewpoints on anything, but that doesn't mean there's isnt a side that is more reasonable and correct (or even 100% correct). If someone does an honor killing or a 50 year old man tries to marry a 14 year old, who was given away by their broke parents I'm sure you'll gets lots of people in the world saying it's a-ok. Most people will say it's wrong.

I get it that you are trying to stir the pot with devils advocate kind of posts and retweets.

Just take a look at this thread and you will see what happens when people lack the capacity to see the world from another person's point of view.

edited

No. In this topic, this has occurred when people put everything else over facts to guide their opinions.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If your assessment is correct, that is only a small % of why I share posts. The main reason I share tweets is to keep people up-to-date on what is occurring around the world and to use this info to help GAF members discern what is going on with regards to COVID.
That's a lie.

Most of your posts an tweets have an antivax sentiment about it. You're not exactly posting 50/50 posts between good and bad.

Everyone knows water is important for health, cooking, washing etc....

You're the kind of guy who would interject into a thread about healthy water about Flint Michigan water or if water is too hot it burns skin.

People are smart enough to know any medical drug or getting surgery isnt without risks. So your big shot posts are just stirring the pot.

Chaplain

That's a lie.

Your memories are not as accurate as you think they are. Your claim that "most" of my posts are anti-vaxxer is factually incorrect. Go back through the thread and see for yourself.

Also, how are you defining anti-vaxxer? Does the following article have an anti-vax sentiment?

edit

Last edited:

showernota

Realizing this has been a secret containment thread for the worst people. I thought most of you left after April.

My girlfriend's mom was able to get the monoclonal antibodies after she was diagnosed a couple week ago. She has a few pre-existing conditions, but made a swift recovery, and I've heard the same from friends and co-workers who were able to get them.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Realizing this has been a secret containment thread for the worst people. I thought most of you left after April.

My girlfriend's mom was able to get the monoclonal antibodies after she was diagnosed a couple week ago. She has a few pre-existing conditions, but made a swift recovery, and I've heard the same from friends and co-workers who were able to get them.

Isn't that like $4,000 per treatment though?

showernota

Isn't that like $4,000 per treatment though?
Florida offers it free for anymore 12 and over who are high-risk, and have been exposed or diagnosed.

I know supplies are limited, but of the 5 people I know personally who needed it, they were able to receive the treatment.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
A universal masking policy was associated with reductions in HCW COVID-19 infections and occupational acquisition of SARS-CoV-2.

I mean, obvious right? Another study to throw on the pile for anti-science types to ignore in favor of Facebook memes.

And sadly, they keep getting younger in these stories it seems.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I mean, obvious right? Another study to throw on the pile for anti-science types to ignore in favor of Facebook memes.

And sadly, they keep getting younger in these stories it seems.

Well, he's an adult. Cant force him. If that 20 year old kid doesn't want to do it, that was his choice.

Companies and government are trying to kind of force it by mandating some schools or jobs or travel require it. But that seems the extent of it. If people still dont get the drift nothing will.

Covid vax is free, everywhere you can get it, painless, and it'll open up all those places that require you to have vax proof before being allowed in. It cant get any more easy than. The only next step would be gov literally banging on your front door and forcing you to get it to increase vax rates. At this time, they are encouraging people to do it and have extended it to jobs and travel limits in hopes this will convince the rest.

Live and learn.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Mycarditis from COVID is a lot more likely than the vaccine.

Edmonton Oilers coach Dave Tippett has said that forward Josh Archibald is out indefinitely after having been diagnosed with myocarditis.

Tippett also revealed that Archibald had COVID-19 over the off-season. Earlier in September, Oilers GM Ken Holland confirmed to Oilers Now Radio host Bob Stauffer that Archibald was the only unvaccinated player on the team. The news came after it was announced that Oilers goaltender Alex Stalock developed the same heart condition.

FunkMiller

If your assessment is correct, that is only a small % of why I share posts. The main reason I share tweets is to keep people up-to-date on what is occurring around the world and to use this info to help GAF members discern what is going on with regards to COVID.

My friend, it’s always been very clear what you do.

You clearly want to place anti -vax and pro-vax positions on a level playing field, so you’ll make sure to post what you see as being a ‘balanced’ amount of tweets favouring both sides.

Only this is false, isn’t it? The two positions are far from balanced, or on any kind of equal footing. The transparent attempt to lend credence to anti-vax information tells us all where your sympathies actually lie.

The overwhelming evidence all concludes the vaccines are safe and that we should all be getting them to quash this pandemic, and help those less fortunate than ourselves.

You’re not fooling anyone with your strategy, you know. But I doubt the fact that you now know we all see it for what it is will stop you.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Do you really not understand the difference between not wanting to bypass or force FDA approval, and being supportive of mandates for a vaccine that has been on the market for a year and safely administered to hundreds of millions of people?

You really have to do some serious mental gymnastics to make this hypocritical.
FDA approval was bypassed in favor of initial emergency authorization. If she made a persuasive argument for why that was bad policy, I would see your point.

She instead tweeted "HE WILL KILL US ALL!"

JumpMan1981

Banned
Looks like we will be back in the office full-time from November. Wow. Business trips still restricted to urgent only (and only if vaccinated or with negative test).

Stay at home if you have symptoms and get a test. Unvaccinated need to work from home for 2 weeks (10 working days). Vaccinated can return to work once they have a negative test. For close contacts unvaccinated need to quarantine, vaccinated are OK to carry on as normal. Masks required when not at own desk.

Seems reasonable.

No vaccine mandates at all so it looks like the hold-outs are going to get away with avoiding the vaccine for sure.

Mycarditis from COVID is a lot more likely than the vaccine.

Such an interesting turn of events with this guy.

NHL has less than 10 players not vaccinated. This holdout didnt want to get vaccinated because the chance of side effects and he's a anti vaxxor and refused and was told because he played for a Canadian team after games in the USA he would need to quarantine for 14 days after and best case he would lose 30% of his smaller salary sitting out but still on around 1.5 million a year.

So he doesnt get vaccinated and has health issues upon return to Edmonton for training camp and doctors tell him he had covid recently and developed myocarditis from covid and can't play. So now Edmonton who was trying to get him vaccinated gets to put him on LT cap relief and solves a problem, he got it in the off season so the team doesn't have to pay him and he would have to claim insurance benefit for lost salary if he was smart enough to have a policy.

You can't make this shit up :messenger_winking_tongue:

Top Bottom