• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

FunkMiller

always see this thread jump to the top in off-topic all it is people just screaming at each other and this weird obsession with a subreddit. This had some better perspective from nations that didn't politize it and are now moving into the next phase.

Look, I can’t help it if r/BreadStapledToTrees speaks to me on a personal level. STOP JUDGING ME.

JhvLbik.jpg

Hari Seldon

Then look at other countries where people are not paranoid n regards to the government THEY ELECT and see how vaccines are working for them.

Why are Americans incapable of looking outward, what is this BS snowflake American exceptionalism? In France, a country of 70mln we have 50 deaths per day. Daily cases are down to 5000 per day.

Yes, the government basically forced people to get vaccine or sit TF at home. Feel free to calculate how many lives were saved because we didn’t cave to a bunch of weirdos. Yes, they came out to protest, 250k in one day at the peak. But guess what, people saw vaccines are working, number of people in hospital is going down despite Delta being way more contagious. And so the movement floundered .
Do you think that it is possible that English speaking countries are bearing the brunt of the social media manipulation? By manipulation I mean both in terms of the intrinsic manipulation by the algorithm (i.e. the algorithms are tuned best for English speakers), and by foreign powers.

To put it another way, is it possible that America is actually exceptional, i.e. we have to deal with the most fuckery?

Mistake

What does this mean? Can you reword this please?
We had one wave of covid. Then we got vaccines. So the question now is, are the vaccines working, or is it simply because many communities have been through the rounds? We were already expected to see a big drop this year
The effectiveness of the vaccine is shown when you look at the official stats for hospital admissions and deaths.

There aren’t many reports of adverse effects, because it hardly ever happens. 3.4 billion people vaccinated. Dont you think we’d have heard a lot more if any more than a tiny, tiny percentage were having adverse reactions?
Don’t you think the omission of this information under the guise of causing vaccine hesitancy is something to worry about? How can you be sure it’s such a tiny percentage when we’re not getting the correct information? Both the veritas exposè, and the nurses I’ve spoken with pretty much confirmed things aren’t running as they should be.

You've seen.... videos?

Perhaps you should take a step back and do some research on basic principles first before you start researching the vaccine.
Perhaps you shouldn’t quote me if you’re going to down like I’m a goddamn moron

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
We're only a year through and going through the second cold season, so we need to know vaccine effectiveness vs herd immunity. That's going to be hard data to get accurately. The real numbers on how many people are having adverse affects, or how they respond to alternative treatments would also be nice, but I fear that's not going to come out until much later. I've seen the videos of both people in the hospital over covid, and the vaccine. So let me be clear, I'm not downplaying either. I know people who's families have been hurt by covid, and the vaccine. But from the nurses I've spoken to, and how they're being fired across the country despite working through the whole pandemic, it only adds to my skepticism, that again, we're not getting reliable info
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
We're only a year through and going through the second cold season, so we need to know vaccine effectiveness vs herd immunity. That's going to be hard data to get accurately. The real numbers on how many people are having adverse affects, or how they respond to alternative treatments would also be nice, but I fear that's not going to come out until much later. I've seen the videos of both people in the hospital over covid, and the vaccine. So let me be clear, I'm not downplaying either. I know people who's families have been hurt by covid, and the vaccine. But from the nurses I've spoken to, and how they're being fired across the country despite working through the whole pandemic, it only adds to my skepticism, that again, we're not getting reliable info
Who do you know that has been hurt by the vaccine and how were they hurt?

Also the only way those nurses would be fired is if they are refusing to get vaccinated. So that really isn't an argument.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
We had one wave of covid. Then we got vaccines. So the question now is, are the vaccines working, or is it simply because many communities have been through the rounds? We were already expected to see a big drop this year
Both. When you analyze the blood from blood donors, you can find antibodies from both natural infections and from vaccines, mostly from vaccines.

We know the vaccines are working, because when you look at who's testing positive for covid, who's getting hospitalized, and who's dying, the vast majority of casualties are unvaccinated people per capita.

We were experiencing a big drop this year and we would have been okay, however the virus mutated in India in December into a much more dangerous delta variant. This variant made its way to the USA in July/August, and is responsible for this current wave because it's so much more contagious than the original strain.

I’ve seen antixaxxers write on Facebook “I know a few people who regret taking the vaccine”.

So I asked if they had an allergic reaction.

They said “no”.

Like really, are they so defiant that they have to say some bullshit like people regret taking a shot that they simply get and move forward like any other shot they have had? What to regret?

I don’t get why people turn into fucking liars over a shot.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Don’t you think the omission of this information under the guise of causing vaccine hesitancy is something to worry about? How can you be sure it’s such a tiny percentage when we’re not getting the correct information? Both the veritas exposè, and the nurses I’ve spoken with pretty much confirmed things aren’t running as they should be.

Perhaps you shouldn’t quote me if you’re going to down like I’m a goddamn moron

The risk of myocarditis has been studied and characterized for the covid vaccines. It exists but is rare.

The vaccines are working. The proof is in the orders of magnitude lower incidence of infections and hospitalizations amongst those that have been vaccinated. Communities "going through the rounds" would not explain the disparate rates of infection between vaccinated and unvaccinated.

I'm not sure what you think these videos prove to anyone who isn't a "goddamn moron", perhaps you should try explaining yourself better.

Last edited:

You are using "things aren't running as they should be" as your reason to not have the vaccine but you're not getting into any specifics or making any concrete links between them

What more information to do you need to prove that vaccines work?

sinnergy

1 in 7.4 American has been infected by Covid 19.
1 in 458 American has died from it.

A year and a half in. These numbers are insane.

They are not, some saw it coming miles away… if there would be no restrictions, they would be insane/ gigantic, it sucks though.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

What information is being omitted? Are you claiming information about vaccine adverse effects is being suppressed to prevent vaccine hesitancy? If so, what proof do you have of this?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I am grateful I got the Moderna shot. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
They're all gonna need boosters by a year in though I think I hope we work out the annual pipeline like we do with flu.

I'm coming up on a year in January. I might go get a moderna shot or something if Novavax isn't widely available in the US by then.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
They're all gonna need boosters by a year in though I think I hope we work out the annual pipeline like we do with flu.

I'm coming up on a year in January. I might go get a moderna shot or something if Novavax isn't widely available in the US by then.
Is there going to be instructions or guidance given by the CDC anytime soon? I still read that I should be good for now. I got my first dose in April or May.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

"I won't take lectures on freedom from people who want to stand in the way of us opening back up" is a pretty good mic drop, not gonna lie.

Is there going to be instructions or guidance given by the CDC anytime soon? I still read that I should be good for now. I got my first dose in April or May.
I dunno, I am in a weird gray area because I took a vaccine that hasn't been FDA approved at all, because the company decided to focus on WHO filings first to reach less saturated markets.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/artur-pawlowski-arrested-tarmac-us-tour-convicted-for-contempt
Controversial preacher Artur Pawlowski was arrested on outstanding warrants as he arrived back in Calgary on a private charter flight following a month-long anti-vaccine speaking tour in the U.S.
On Monday afternoon, Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officers made the arrest.
About seven hours later, lawyer Miller secured her client's release on the condition that he keep the peace and be of good behaviour.
Pawlowski and his brother, Dawid Pawlowski — who is running for a city council seat in Ward 11, are already facing potential jail sentences after being convicted of contempt for repeatedly flouting COVID-19 public health measures and encouraging others to do the same.

They will be sentenced on Oct. 13, which is the same date the new charges are before the courts.
Lawyers for Alberta Health Services (AHS) have asked Court of Queen's Bench Justice Adam Germain to sentence Artur Pawlowski to three weeks in jail and that he be fined $2,000 plus pay $15,000 in legal costs. They also want to see 10 days for Dawid Pawlowski.
The wheels of justice can be slow, but they do turn. Tried to explain this before when this guy was screaming at the Health Officer. It's not a major infraction what was happening at the church so no need for heavy force at the time to drag people out or arrest the guy then, but there'd be follow up after investigation and review. Sounds like Border Services were acting on a warrant for disobeying a court order, which is what they should do. Just cuz the nut stamps and screams like an upset toddler not wanting to do something they don't want to and plays the nazi card doesn't mean he gets a free pass. lol
AHS seeking three weeks, a fine and legal costs at worst. For disobeying a public health order not exactly heavy justice as the performance of the pastor and supporters might indicate.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

always see this thread jump to the top in off-topic all it is people just screaming at each other and this weird obsession with a subreddit. This had some better perspective from nations that didn't politize it and are now moving into the next phase.

The Norway situation is interesting. One of the most heavily restricted countries in the region with the fewest cases and deaths. After a recent election the outgoing government that put in the restrictions is the one that dropped all those restrictions suddenly way on their way out the door. Popular move, maybe could be argued done a little early so the incoming party doesn't get the credit for dropping the restrictions. Cases are going down quickly and about a 1/3rd from their peak in the region 3 weeks ago, but are still high.

"pastor arrested" = "criminal arrested"

also Candadian, that's some quality editorial standards there
Publicly funded broadcaster wouldn't want to give a hint of bias in a politically charged article even when true and directly relevant.

Last edited:

Mistake

What information is being omitted? Are you claiming information about vaccine adverse effects is being suppressed to prevent vaccine hesitancy? If so, what proof do you have of this?
“Both the veritas exposè, and the nurses I’ve spoken with”
I went out and basically confirmed what project veritas put out myself. The nurses are bullshit. Alison Morrow has been covering it as well.

“Both the veritas exposè, and the nurses I’ve spoken with”
I went out and basically confirmed what project veritas put out myself. The nurses are bullshit. Alison Morrow has been covering it as well.

what is the veritas expose?

and what does that and nurses have to do with the vaccine?

Just some interested stats.

Some interesting stats from....2015? That was a very different time in regards to vaccines no? I get that everyone wants to still do the whole "democrats vs republicans" back and forth schtick but surely there is info out there that's a more accurate representation of the current social climate then from an article posted half a decade before covid hit. It's pretty disingenuous.

Jaysen

Banned
Some interesting stats from....2015? That was a very different time in regards to vaccines no? I get that everyone wants to still do the whole "democrats vs republicans" back and forth schtick but surely there is info out there that's a more accurate representation of the current social climate then from an article posted half a decade before covid hit. It's pretty disingenuous.
In 2015 both the left and right made fun of anti-vaxxers. For good reason, they’re idiots. Only thing that’s changed now is the virus and subsequent vaccines were politicized by even bigger morons. And thus a new breed of even more pathetic anti-vaxxer was born.

Portugal had an absolutely insane death spike early this year, the equivalent of 10 thousand deaths per day for a US sized population. That will get people motivated to get vaccinated like nothing else.

With some exceptions of course. Law enforcement, like celebrities and rich Karens seem have a lot of people who simply will not listen to any advice not already in line with their beliefs.

Last edited:

TheFarter

Banned
will

get
you
Karma will get me? LMAO. Some of you are jumping the shark.

Me and my whole family have had covid. We all got over it and now have the antibodies just like anyone who's never had covid and just only had the shot. I wear a mask at work where I need to, and also have no problems with shops or anything at all that require it. I just feel I don't need the shot right now. I've had covid. But karma will get me? Anyone can get the shot if they want. I have no problems with that. I also don't believe that the shots will fuck people up hardcore. Maybe some people get messed up... but majority naw. Much like the flu shot, I don't get that either. Will karma get me for that too? Meh. I welcome a few days off from being sick at times. Saves me vacation time to use!

Karma will get you? You've lost your mind.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Some of the country’s largest states have already seen some success. In New York, where some 650,000 employees at hospitals and nursing homes were to have received at least one vaccine dose by the start of this week, 92 percent were in compliance, state officials said. That was up significantly from a week ago, when 82 percent of the state’s nursing home workers and at least 84 percent of its hospital workers had received at least one dose.
Well, the job risk is working. It wont get everyone to get it, but put their job on the line and look at the results in only a week. Money talks.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just some more stats to thumb through.

US

Canada

FunkMiller

Hey SpiceRacz SpiceRacz - how about you don’t respond with the laughing emoji on a post about a fifteen year old girl’s death? Maybe don’t do that, because it’s a really cunty thing to do, yeah?

Last edited:
Top Bottom