• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coworker sniffed my lunch. I made him buy a new one. Am I being unfair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-x.Red.x-

So recap?

OP brought lunch
Coworker touches the container then sniffs lunch
OP tells him to buy new lunch
Coworker said no and then OP goes to HR
HR said he overreacted

Now if I were in that situation.
I would have told coworker "Don't do that again"
would have discarded the lunch, if i felt truly uncomfortable
brought myself new lunch if I had money

I feel that I would do the reasonable thing as to not to create enemies and also deter people from touching my stuff, or is this an overreaction as well?

Sami+

We get these backfire threads often.

Do you think any OPs ever take it to heart?

"Thanks GAF, I now see the error of my ways and I will change my future behavior in these social situations"

If a majority on GAF can agree I'm wrong I'm probably pretty damn wrong

Thread backfires are good for self reflection 🙏🌞

Honestly, this along with the reaction to the OP should be a lesson to you all on how not to be successful in business. People who get caught up in their meaningless principles and annoyances in office dynamics instead of focusing on what's important. You should be focused on making relationships to further your career advancement, and if that person won't have an impact on your career, ensure you still keep a good impression so that the talk about you that may spread to the people who do have an impact is positive. Keep your eye on the prize people and let this petty shit go. Because that lunch you had to throw out and re-purchase due to your germaphobia and/or principles isn't worth the potential career cost a bad impression gives you.

Actually don't. More people like you, the more the rest of us can be successful as you keep fucking it up :)

EDIT - This is also more important when you work in IT industry. I've been more successful in my life by in part knowing how to build relationships with socially awkward developers where if I was anal like the OP, I couldn't handle.

Thanks man. I try my best to build relationships and create a name for myself. I know it's hard to believe but while I am introverted, I am also not socially awkward and while what happened was a bit of an overreaction, I think it reads stronger than how it felt (for me).

I'll try to branch out and start conversation with other people at this location, because this location has over 400 people, yet I have only interacted with maybe 6 or 7 at the most, including security. I shouldn't be giving so much mind share to the two coworkers mentioned in the OP when theres so many more people here.

This is probably gonna fall on deaf ears, but OP you were right. I can't believe 100% of the people who finds strangers putting their faces in close proximity to their food is comfortable to eat it afterwards and to think it's acceptable after the fact.

If the coworker thinks you are an asshole for it, he's probably not worth getting chummy with anyhow. Respect people's personal space and their belongings. If you didn't ask for permission, don't assume that it's okay.

I don't think people would have felt comfortable seeing some near-stranger rifle with their food in such a manner either and are speaking from a condescending place because maybe they've never been in that situation. It's not only the gross factor but the fact that I felt violated and it made the meal unappealing to me. In a flash, when he did that the only thing that flashed in my mind was all the gross stuff I ever seen him do. Thanks for the perspective

How effective has this logic been in your case? Seems like you have mostly gravitated to justifying yourself and framed people making a huge deal out of your reaction as unworthy of listening too and becoming dismissive and defensive.

There is an irony and a lesson from that you seem to not be getting.

I do get WHY i'm being criticized, or whatever. Maybe what I did was petty and an overreaction. I'm not dismissing what everyone else is saying but I also don't feel like I was 100% wrong. I just reacted a bit different but it was a private exchange between two people. Thinking about it now I'm a bit more upset he went and blabbed and made it a public exchange between three people, possibly more, and tainting my relationship with other coworkers, but I do accept that I might've possible been 'more wrong' by leaving it on his desk as that could be seen as a sign of pettiness.

Did OP confirm coworkers bare hands on his food? Yes

Did OP confirm unknowing and/or bad personal hygiene? Yes

Did OP confirm his preference for personal space for his food? Yes

He can be an OCD bubble boy tier of germaphobia, but still respect his personal space and the space of his belongings if permission is not granted.

I saw that he admitted to being passive aggressive by putting the food on his desk. I can understand that. But OP also confirmed coworker took it home. He could have wasted the food, but didn't. He said he would apologize. I think it would only be warranted if the coworker did the same.

Thanks. I feel as though if anyone purposefully does something to your food to make it unappealing to you, at the very least you should tell them what they did wrong. In the future, maybe I won't bark at them about boogers or tell them to get me a new one, but I will let them know they made my food unappealing to me. It's like finding a hair that isn't yours in your food. Some people think it's innocuous, and some would take it back and ask for a new one. He didn't exactly 'poke' at the food sort to speak. It was most likely grease or sauce that was outside of the container or maybe on the side when he picked it up. Either way, by picking up the container his hands were adjacent to my food and when he sniffed and breathed on it it made it completely unappealing to me.

Things seem fine in the office anyway. In the coffee area Arnie even spoke to me with a few other coworkers. Even told a joke, and didn't do that elbow jab/side punch thing he does after he tells a joke. Not sure if he is uneasy with me or doesn't know where I stand with him but it does sort of feel like a comfortable distance.

Flo_Evans

Maybe he thought it was Jimmy Johns?

CDGpNJi.jpg

impact

Banned
Yeah no one is denying that some dude randomly sniffing your food isn't weird as fuck but that doesn't mean you have to do what the OP did. That's taking an annoying but innocent mistake that the coworker made and making it kind of malicious in making them buy new lunch.

lots of people in this thread seem to be ok with it

"he only sniffed it man its not like he put it up his anus, chill out op"

Smokey

So yall gonna just let another grown man put his nostrils up to your food, take a whiff, and be cool with it?

Nah

Nahhhh

He did a weird thing by sniffing it.
I would have eaten the food anyway but having discussed with my better half, she would have been too weirded out to eat it. Wouldn't have demanded he replace it though.

I think you did overreact a bit.

Fury451

Banned
So yall gonna just let another grown man put his nostrils up to your food, take a whiff, and be cool with it?

Nah

Nahhhh

Course not. It's weird.

But stating that he should now buy him new food, then leaving it on his desk anywayis a terrible reaction. I'm still trying to decide if that's heavily passive aggressive or just regular aggressive, despite how "nice" it was said.

Terrible for an office environment, and for both working or interpersonal relationships.

acevans2

God forbid you be mildly uncomfortable at any moment in life. I get those that are saying it was uninvited and therefore the OP's coworker should therefore be the accountable one, but it isn't a situation that has any pre-established risk.

Yes, you CAN make him pay for a replacement, but you absolutely don't have to. If I was that coworker, I'd pay for your lunch and then never do a damned thing I'm not obligated to for you again. If these coworkers ever went out after work, I'd buy a round for everyone there but OP.

Galang

Banned
I actually agree with you OP. I wouldn't have the balls to say or do what you did, but I sure as hell would have thrown that lunch out at the least.

Jonm1010

Banned
I actually agree with you OP. I wouldn't have the balls to say or do what you did, but I sure as hell would have thrown that lunch out at the least.
Consider yourself a wiser employee then, even if deep down you are wishing not to be.

Ralemont

not me

Nah

Nahhhh

Depends who it is. I don't care if a friend does it, but a bare acquaintance probably wouldn't fly. Not because of germs or anything, but just because its presumptuous. Ain't gonna act a fool like the OP did, tho.

animax

Overreaction in my view.

Silly thing for him to do, but sillier of you to throw a diva-like tantrum. How privileged are you that you won't eat food that was sniffed by another person!

The person who made the food and the kitchen it was made in holds so much more significance and consequence

Escargo

Nah

Nahhhh

He's at work. It's just not smart to cause any drama whatsoever. Obviously nobody would be cool with it but you talk to the guy privately, not put him on blast.

touching food CONTAINER =/= Touching the actual edible food stuffs inside

In your organisation, for a trivial, yet irksome action you are saying that it is okay to accuse another staff member of snorting bogies into your food just because they inhaled close to the food stuff? That it is okay to loudly berate them over the issue and demand they purchase you another portion of food? to effectively cause a scene? to which the member of staff feels sufficiently threatened that they report the issue to their manager - which whilst they are away from their desk you find okay to passively aggressively put the food on their desk (that they'd previously refused) as a reminder that they owe you?

that the ends justify the means eh?

That is not good human resources at all, in such a situation you are meant to discuss the matter with the colleague in a calm and collected manner, refraining from personal insults and insinuations then get a manager to mediate or escalate the situation to

Are your really a HR assistant? it seems more like you ran through a worker conflict matrix and checked off boxes.

As for employee personal hygine? this was information that OP 'provided after people said breathing in was not a problem, and when OP was being berated over picking posts that backed his up, ergo the information could be considered tainted/untruful

However, OP says he has no idea of his personal health and hygine
OP then describes he has snorted and blamed allergies, there is no frequency to this, perhaps once he snorted over hayfever, perhaps he snorts every 5 min, without a frequency this is irrelevant
Digs in his ear? odd description, if someone has an itch one person would describe it as an itch, would a germophobe describe it as digging as theta own personal prejudice is exaggerating? again no frequency

i'm a little in doubt over the wiping hands on their trousers thing, op says its sauce, is it sauce from the container lid? could it not be sauce and is it condensation on the outside of the container? both are common occurrences for takeaway and whilst still invasions of personal space, do not hold the same onus as OP's implication of touching the actual food

I'd not assign blame off of OP's one sided and changing argument

f0uxlurl1ej2ugefl8l5_400x400.jpeg

"I'm an assistant HR manager"
"Assistant TO the HR manager"

I agree, which is why I said I wouldn't have used that particular wording.

The offending party seems to have problems respecting boundaries and personal space. If OP has germ issues, it shouldn't be his responsibility to pussyfoot around the offender to make them feel comfortable when they're in the wrong.

Again, I don't know any world where this is acceptable. If something like that happened in my place of business, the person would, at the very least, be having a not nice conversation with a superior. Don't touch other people's food. Ever! It's not hard to figure out.

Or you could just politely ask them to not touch your food anymore without bringing in management?

This reply is honestly worse than the OP's story for me, even if it was just discussing a hypothetical situation.

I wouldn't have put the food on his desk and made him pay for another portion, but I would have definitely told him to fuck right off with his actions.

norm9

One of my big worries when I eat at fast food Wendy's is when me and other people are waiting at the counter for our food. The employee will just put someone's order on the counter making it very easy for some numbskull to swipe some of the fries sitting there. I stand there thinking in my head, "don't touch it if it ain't yours asshole" over and over again.

SummitAve

Banned
Him getting you a new one sounds reasonable, but I'm surprised you would admit to talking to somebody like that. No one wants to do a reasonable thing for an asshole.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
You over-reacted for sure, OP.

Arnold was being inconsiderate for picking up your food without your permission, but your reaction was kind of extreme.

My office is a lot closer than most, but when someone brings in something delicious smelling/looking, we at least ask if it's okay to pick it up, or smell it, or taste it. Arnold should respect people's stuff, but you should relax a bit as well. He was inhaling the aroma of your food, not breathing on it, or rubbing his face in it.

I'm sure this is what Arnold thought he was doing to your food:

And this is what your reaction makes me think you thought Arnold was doing to your food:

A firm, "Please don't pick up my food without asking," probably would have set better boundaries between the two of you. I don't think I'd have ordered him to buy me replacement food, but if it bothered me that much to eat it, I would have bought new food, but I wouldn't have told him about it. I definitely would have told him that I'm not comfortable with other people touching my food without my permission. I think most people can understand and respect that kind of boundary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom