• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 demo impressions

eshwaaz said:
I put countless hours into the original game and collected every orb, and I did it entirely solo. So no, co-op is not all that matters to everyone.

Sort of a careless comment on my part, but I'd say the MAJORITY of people loved Crackdown because of the co-op, which this game does even better.

Aaron

Hope it has four player racing. Racing mode co-op was super janky fun, though it was more huge pileups and big explosions than actual racing.

Flavius

Aaron said:
Hope it has four player racing. Racing mode co-op was super janky fun, though it was more huge pileups and big explosions than actual racing.

Still remember people getting super hyped when they released that first screenshot of the racing DLC from the first title, and folks (including myself) thought they might have patched in 4 player coop because of the 4 buggies racing on the screen. ;)

I can't imagine them not having it this go-around.

Barrett2

Just played the demo. I'm not feeling it. I LOVED the first game, but this just feels like the exact same game, but yo dog, zombies are everywhere. :/

rar

zero margin said:
Once you get out of junior status your maturity and thus your opinion will change.

junior status has nothing to do with it.. its just simply not as good as the first one

TheFallen

lawblob said:
Just played the demo. I'm not feeling it. I LOVED the first game, but this just feels like the exact same game, but yo dog, zombies are everywhere. :/
My guess is that most people are not getting far enough or utilizing the new content within the demo. I played the demo 3 times but only on the third time did I get my strength high enough. The running charge is great for non-mutants.

I don't know, the demo isn't a great representation of what the new game provides to players. But, you can see glimpses of it and I think that was enough for me to keep my preorder.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
Played it through twice, second time co-op. Felt a little rough around the edges, but running and jumping around like a superhero is still pretty fun.

The aiming system seemed a little off - being 5 feet from a guy and shooting past him - it didn't lock on things how you'd expect them too.

We didn't get too much benefit from co-op because we kept getting seperated and attacks by random mobs.

Hmf - has potential still but I am struggling to see the improvements from the first one.

Karram

After playing the demo I have decided to cancel my pre-order and buy it when it hits $40 or less. I felt it's like a CD1 but with zombies which I don't like at all.

mujun

derFeef said:
So you have played the full game yet? tell us about it, pls!

I was going to ask the same question :lol

I enjoyed the demo as much as I enjoyed playing the first game.

Full game might end up being more fun, or less fun, hard to tell from a small slice.

derFeef

Flavius said:
I nominate derFeef. ;)
Heh, thanks, how kind of you :)
But I have never created an OT before and I can not do this game justice I think. If someone wants to make it (or already does) and need help in terms of banners/gfx, PM me. I have already played around a bit.

dyergram

Do the cell have leaders to kill like the gang kingpins of CD1? Its really fun going to the 2nd and 3rd island on CD1 to try and get the rocket launchers early is this kind of thing completely gone in the sequel?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Karram said:
After playing the demo I have decided to cancel my pre-order and buy it when it hits $40 or less. I felt it's like a CD1 but with zombies which I don't like at all.
You'd be better off beating it and trading it in, since you probably won't get much for it when the price is that low. Amazon was selling it for $50 with a $10 credit but it's back up to $56 now.

Why For?

Banned
Gary Liddon: The RenderWare story with Crackdown is a bit long and painful. Initially the game was an Xbox title using RenderWare 3. It then migrated to Xbox 360 onto a very early version of RenderWare 4. Unfortunately RenderWare 4 was then cancelled by EA and that left a massive Guatemalan sinkhole sized void in the game's technical armoury. It was a bit of a disaster.

From Eurogamer interview

What the fuck? It was originally planned as an Xbox 1 title?

Fuck me.

soldat7

dyergram said:
Do the cell have leaders to kill like the gang kingpins of CD1? Its really fun going to the 2nd and 3rd island on CD1 to try and get the rocket launchers early is this kind of thing completely gone in the sequel?

I'm pretty sure that there will be various 'kingpins' to take out:

3166wk0.png

As for getting power weapons early, Ruffian has said they're trying to prevent that from happening in the interest of balance.

I bought Crackdown 1 in Aussieland and I have gotten all of the free DLC. I'm wondering if I should get the "Gettin' Busy" DLC for 400 points. Is it worth it? I have just started playing, should I wait until I'm further into the game to purchase it?

Aaron

Megadrive said:
I bought Crackdown 1 in Aussieland and I have gotten all of the free DLC. I'm wondering if I should get the "Gettin' Busy" DLC for 400 points. Is it worth it? I have just started playing, should I wait until I'm further into the game to purchase it?
I wouldn't bother at this point. All the stuff in it will be in Crackdown 2 from the start, iirc.

Prine

Banned
I didnt like the demo one bit. It looks really bad, aiming (like the first) is rough and unpolished, collision detection seems to be missing or too forgiving, animations look and feel the same, overall felt like an expansion pack. Not 2 years worth of work.

I wasnt a huge fan of the first but i bought it anyway, i was hoping they would vastly upgrade the visuals, animations and gunplay. It feels like nothings changed. Why are the streets so sparse? Why are they so angular? Objects feel paper-light, there no satisfaction in killing.

Platforming did feel nice. I dont understand why the NPCs look and stand like they are extras in a JRPG. If this is an indication of what the final might turn out like count me out.

Barrett2

Yeah, what's up with the aiming? The more I think about the demo, the more I don't understand it. They start you off in a firefight, yet it felt oddly difficult to target who I wanted to target. I ended up not aiming and just walking towards what I wanted to shoot at. The aiming felt a little more natural when I got to the zombies, but I think its because I was only a few feet away from them, and the targeting felt less wonky.

FrankT

lawblob said:
Yeah, what's up with the aiming? The more I think about the demo, the more I don't understand it. They start you off in a firefight, yet it felt oddly difficult to target who I wanted to target. I ended up not aiming and just walking towards what I wanted to shoot at. The aiming felt a little more natural when I got to the zombies, but I think its because I was only a few feet away from them, and the targeting felt less wonky.

Aiming is getting a day one patch and yea it needs it.

Barrett2

Jtyettis said:
Aiming is getting a day one patch and yea it needs it.

Thank god.

Even though the demo seemed pretty busted, i'll probably still grab this. The thought of climbing the agency tower all over again is just too damn appealing.

I'm feeling the same way about this one as I did the Crackdown 1 demo. I was pretty umimpressed...but after actually getting Crackdown, it became my GOTY. Hopefully Crackdown 2 does the same thing.

Played the demo twice, and as someone who loved the first one, Im torn on whether I want this or not.

The aiming is horrible (I know, day 1 patch, but just going off the demo...), the melee feels very bad, worse than CD1, and I didnt like the idea of mutants/zombies when they first announced this was the theme for the sequel and playing it just confirmed that. I dont know, I may just be zombie'd out at this point. And then with the orbs, in the first one, you just needed to be "close enough". This one, you need to take a bath in them.

All this said, I STILL had fun with this, because its Crackdown at its core, and Crackdown is awesome.

30 minute demo.

Made it to 25 minutes and had to shut it off it was that bad.

Crackdown 1 was an ok game, but it was NOT the kind of game that needs a safe-as-hell sequel.

derFeef

Mr. B Natural said:
30 minute demo.

Made it to 25 minutes and had to shut it off it was that bad.

Crackdown 1 was an ok game, but it was NOT the kind of game that needs a safe-as-hell sequel.
Well, thats your opinion.

derFeef said:
Well, thats your opinion.
Well, sentences end with periods.

Brainless games don't need safe sequels. Why? Cause there's nothing to them - thus brainless. They rely on repetition. So, add a safe-sequel to repetition and you get...I can't finish this sentence because I can't think of anything. Where's the nuance in Crackdown 2? Where's the discovery? Where's the wow?. At what point in this game was my synapse suppose to react to anything?

This isn't mario galaxy for example that is such a wide and open concept that the designers can come up with lots of different ways to use the concept to make discoveries, "wow" factors, clever ideas and other things that actually make the player react to stimulus. Safe sequels to games like that are perfectly fine. Not optimal, but passable.

I got to play the game for 30 minutes and I was already "going through the motions" after about 1 minute of it. 1 effing minute. That's a new record in stupid mindless gaming. Crackdown 2 has zombies, and I'm a zombie while playing it.

If you got OCD, then this game is great. It's another kitchen that needs cleaning. Somebody took the kitchen you already cleaned a few years ago, messed it up and took yet another nearly identical big dump into the middle of it. Give these guys 60 bucks and here's your mop again. You're already a pro at it, so get to work, soldier. Shit stinks to me.

Mr. B Natural said:
Where's the discovery? Where's the wow?.
Well, sentences don't end with periods if they're a question.

Besides, I don't know what makes Crackdown (1 or 2) brainless compared to MW2. Calling something "brainless" without clarifying it in the least bit doesn't make it so. And you make some pretty ridiculous claims because you weren't "going through the motions" after only one minute.

Hugbot

Mr. B Natural said:

Brainless games don't need safe sequels. Why? Cause there's nothing to them - thus brainless. They rely on repetition. So, add a safe-sequel to repetition and you get...I can't finish this sentence because I can't think of anything. Where's the nuance in Crackdown 2? Where's the discovery? Where's the wow?. At what point in this game was my synapse suppose to react to anything?

This isn't mario galaxy for example that is such a wide and open concept that the designers can come up with lots of different ways to use the concept to make discoveries, "wow" factors, clever ideas and other things that actually make the player react to stimulus. Safe sequels to games like that are perfectly fine. Not optimal, but passable.

I got to play the game for 30 minutes and I was already "going through the motions" after about 1 minute of it. 1 effing minute. That's a new record in stupid mindless gaming. Crackdown 2 has zombies, and I'm a zombie while playing it.

If you got OCD, then this game is great. It's another kitchen that needs cleaning. Somebody took the kitchen you already cleaned a few years ago, messed it up and took yet another nearly identical big dump into the middle of it. Give these guys 60 bucks and here's your mop again. You're already a pro at it, so get to work, soldier. Shit stinks to me.
It's cool man not everyone has taste

bj00rn_

Banned
A bit disappointed by the demo. I love the concept of Crackdown, but it just doesn't feel right. Controls, graphics.. feels outdated.

rar

derFeef said:
So you have played the full game yet? tell us about it, pls!

i can tell from the demo that the gameplay, graphics, and style is worse that the first game, and thats really all i need to know

Feindflug

Mr. B Natural said:

SMG2 not an "optimal" sequel and feeling a zombie while playing Crackdown 2? are you dead inside or you just hate fun? WTF? :lol

Salami Inferno

Neo Member
This may have come up earlier in the thread, but I feel like jumping around the environments isn't as fun as it was before. I'm trying to jump up the sides of buildings and im bumping my head on things and getting stuck. The joy of Crackdown 1 was, unless you were in an area BUILT to be a puzzle, you didn't even have to think about jumping. Getting from place to place was as easy as looking where you wanted to go and hitting A.

dorkimoe

LOVED crackdown 1. This one feels a little ehh. I dont think it looks as good as the first one (maybe its because crackdown was so long ago and weve been spoiled since then)

achievements seemed impossible

dorkimoe said:
LOVED crackdown 1. This one feels a little ehh. I dont think it looks as good as the first one (maybe its because crackdown was so long ago and weve been spoiled since then)

achievements seemed impossible
What does this even mean?

There are a lot of strange posts in this thread.

ShapeGSX

Salami Inferno said:
This may have come up earlier in the thread, but I feel like jumping around the environments isn't as fun as it was before. I'm trying to jump up the sides of buildings and im bumping my head on things and getting stuck. The joy of Crackdown 1 was, unless you were in an area BUILT to be a puzzle, you didn't even have to think about jumping. Getting from place to place was as easy as looking where you wanted to go and hitting A.

The jumping in Crackdown 2 feels identical to me. Bumping your head was part of Crackdown 1, as a way to prevent you from reaching certain areas until you leveled up enough.

Not feeling this demo at all. Almost to the point in moving my preorder to something else. Loved the first game, it felt fresh and had a lot of personality. The demo just looks stale and lifeless. Plus the aiming is so goddamn terrible.

Even playing through the demo just to go super hero mode and building up stamina or strength feels soulless compared to the original. And zombies? Ugh.

soldat7

Mr. B Natural said:

You thought that Crackdown 1 was an 'ok' game. Why in the world would you think a sequel would 'wow' you? You clearly don't understand why so many loved the original Crackdown and are looking forward to the sequel, rough demo aside.

Wow?

cd2_glidedawn.gif

Wow.

Marvie_3

Banned
Finally got a chance to play the demo. This game is gonna be so damn fun multiplayer. It felt off at first but I think that's because I'm so used to my maxed out agent from the first Crackdown. :lol

Kinda OT but does anyone know a website I could find a non platinum hits version of the original? I mistakenly sold mine and want to play it again to better compare it with the sequel.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dax01 said:
What does this even mean?

There are a lot of strange posts in this thread.

I guess within the demo time? It's not like the demo achievements aren't still obtainable in the full game either way.

So, I keep playing the demo with my buddies, and I think we're all gonna get it.

Anyone found a cheaper price than Amazon? ($55 with free shipping)

This isn't a game I NEED on day 1, so I can wait a week for shipping if I can save $10+.

Anyone found a good deal?

Top Bottom